Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

G0RF posted:

It was a great discussion, Brian-- thank YOU for offering your perspectives on the game and the genre. I sincerely do believe there is a great deal Chris Roberts could learn by seeking your counsel. We decry and make light of CIG's wasteful spending, particularly in LA, but real talk -- if they put you on a $200/HR retainer, set you up in the Beverly Hills hotel, and let you white board feedback on the game in front of Chris Roberts for a week, I'd be in this very thread clapping up a storm declaring their genius.

Brian actually lives in LA and I'm sure if they had offered to have him come check it out he would have done it in a heartbeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

gently caress the alien languages, I want to know who taught them the gibberish they speak on camera.

Hundreds of episodes of absolute nonsense.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

musicshemale posted:

I know it's small fry and is probably one of you jerks, but I still enjoyed it.

Set of replies I really enjoyed:

EDIT: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4mpq9z/any_word_on_player_swimming_animations/

From one of the replies:

quote:

They said that since procedural water is coming along they might go further by also adding underwater exploration via submarines and such but no promises and even if the idea pulls through we likely won't see it on release

Is this true? I hope they'll also include submarine to submarine combat, I mean if they have everything procedurally generated already, it would be as simple as ticking a check-box with what they have.

Also, since there are buggies in the game, maybe they could also add some sporting event with said vehicles. Maybe something where you strap some rockets on the buggies and play a team-based game resembling football.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Don't worry guys, the most open development company ever have a secret build that is stable at 60 FPS with no bugs and all ships flyable, they just can't show it to us for reasons.

StraightFace
Feb 9, 2014
4 years in development

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
can we have a new thread title to reflect the fact we are now all special snowflake Derek Smart Goons?

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
generate some random landscapes on a computer

then explore them

for hours

like a cool space d00d

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlT1MbBcvWw&t=26s

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Iglocska posted:

From one of the replies:

Is this true? I hope they'll also include submarine to submarine combat, I mean if they have everything procedurally generated already, it would be as simple as ticking a check-box with what they have.

Also, since there are buggies in the game, maybe they could also add some sporting event with said vehicles. Maybe something where you strap some rockets on the buggies and play a team-based game resembling football.

Procedural water. How impressive.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Monthly updates and patch notes, BUG SMASHERS, Which Glitch?, Around the Verse, Ten For The Chairman/Developers/Writers, Reverse the Verse, Sandi's Facebook page, Batgirl's Chats w/ Ben, Evocati, Player Test Universe, Jump Point, Holiday Livestream, Gamescom, PAX East, CitizenCon, so much open development that it's overwhelming.

Funny how they can do all this but they just haven't got the time to go to E3

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?

Chalks posted:

That's what they needed the fluid dynamics guy for, clearly

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

So? Who doesn't buy ideas in today's world?

Entrepreneurs encourage others to buy into their ideas. Some fail - some make. Those who make it innovate, replicate, or improve. And then, ideas turn into reality. I see nothing wrong with this.

That is the whole point Toast. The SC idea does not seem to be making much progress and the equation formed of time passing by, resources, competency and funds has a certain inexorability to it. Many backers and bystanders tend to forget that the SC project can not just wait for ever.

There are enough signs, call it circumstancial evidence if you wish, to make a SC critic position as solid as someone who still has got faith, like you.

There is nothing wrong with trying to implement ideas. CR´s SC one though is just not happening.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

I see nothing wrong with this.

January - May 2015: $14,881,464
January - May 2016: $10,391,221
Change: -30%

Total in May 2015: $2,815,387
Total in May 2016: $1,432,159
Change: -49%

CBT Time
Mar 4, 2005
I bet they'll procedurally generate the alien languages in some lazy rear end way.

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

My name is a trolling word

AP posted:

Still too much :colbert: but it's slowly drying up. And the best thing is, even if SQ42 is released, they won't be making much money from it, since most people who are interested have it already.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Cats LOVE Cigars! posted:

I bet they'll procedurally generate the alien languages in some lazy rear end way.

actually they have been doing it since they started. all those shows 10ftc, atv etc. all have the alien language in it. you have had it all along just like star marine.

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012

AP posted:

Is there more data available?
We could make an calculation report of what the estimated costs are against what cig is earning.
This way we could estimate when they are starting to lose out.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Gorf, his arms wide
MoMA, his belt unfurled

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Chalks posted:

If they can surmount that challenge then adding submarine combat should be basically like ticking a checkbox.

Ocean
[x] Yes
[] No

Submarines
[x] Yes
[] No

Until now they had Ocean disabled but Submarines enabled. That's how we got the Retaliator.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Orions Lord posted:

Is there more data available?
We could make an calculation report of what the estimated costs are against what cig is earning.
This way we could estimate when they are starting to lose out.

Crowdfunding Development Spreadsheet 2.0

The most open development company ever keeps too much behind closed doors to make anything other than estimates, but knock yourself out.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Its really hard to comprehend how SC backers, from backing a space sim, now are so stoked for the micromanagement gameplay declared as "immersion" engines.

Do you like micromanaging groups of units in StarCraft? That's how it will eventually be if/when (but won't) SC delivers on all its promises. The scope of the original game was a Space Sim as the meat and potatoes and FPS / other poo poo to do as sides.

Instead the scope now is about how micro everything can get, sooner or later CR's gonna have some 10ftC bullshit saying we can create new elements at the subatomic level with sperg engines and accelerators.... Wait, didn't he already say we could, there's a ship for that, right? You have passenger management, farming simulator, hospital ships.

Sure have an excellent ecosystem and ships for such roles that may in fact logically exist. However, there ISN'T A SINGLE BIT OF PLAYABLE EVIDENCE (even after 4 years of game development, hell I don't know anything about game development) to prove or even give a hint, that such mechanics exist.

On the other side of the raw burger, you have carebears that want PVP'ers out of their game. And looking exclusively from PGabz videos, that isn't going to happen, where's the mythical PVP toggle? Shouldn't that be an engineering priority?

I could go on but just read the above and imagine how insane it all sounds, and the best part this isn't even 1% of whats promised.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
Solar Plebeian weekly update is up! I managed to pull off my first big test of the great engine swap of 2016. I ported assets into Unreal Engine 4 (had to completely re-texture them), and was able to reproduce the Flight Model I wrote in Unity over in UE4 fairly accurately in a weekend. I also took a crack at the particle system which is the superheated debris flying past the spaceship you'll see in the video below. It's still wonky, and not connected to ship speed yet, but it's there.

In terms of visual quality, rendering pipeline, there's absolutely no contest. UE4 looks fantastic. As for the code, it's C++ man. It's the official programming language of the Stimpire. I poo poo you not, I literally ruined my project due to a simple syntax error in C++. I made a change, hit compile, and the compiler crashed, which then caused Unreal Editor to crash. Then whenever I tried to re-open the project, it would crash. Corrupted the project files due to a loving syntax error. That was a real new one.

But, all in all, I think the results speak for themselves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awb0COi6cJw

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
If there were 4 Horsemen of the ELE, what would they be?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

no_recall posted:

Derek Smart, Derek Smart, Derek Smart, :pgabz:

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

no_recall posted:

Chris Ben, sandi and disco lando.

DOCa Cola
Feb 25, 2016

I am Ben Lesnicks wife, Alex IRL
Ask me anything!

musicshemale posted:

I know it's small fry and is probably one of you jerks, but I still enjoyed it.

Set of replies I really enjoyed:

EDIT: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4mpq9z/any_word_on_player_swimming_animations/

For the MVP there need to be swimming animations. Some of the NPC AIs will want to visit oceans to go swimming and scuba diving on their NPC vacations. They will all drown instead.

DOCa Cola fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jun 6, 2016

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Breetai posted:

Chris Ben, sandi and disco lando.

Ben would need two horses tho.

edit: fat jokes.

DOCa Cola posted:

For the MVP there need to be swimming animations. Some of the NPC AIs will want to visit oceans to go swimming and scuba diving on their NPC vacations. They will all drown instead.

I want procedural sand castle building. And then shrink rays and let me walk around my sand castle and pvp with my friends inside of it, or play the hit game SATAball inside of it!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Kakarot posted:

shut up and spread the brigading!@

Do I look like someone that identifies as a Redditor?

Nope.

Not gonna happen.

Goon?? Yes.

Redditor and all that entails?

Can't nope hard enough.

You can siphon my (non-existant) labia, young submissive.

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jun 6, 2016

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

no_recall posted:

Four creepy generic poser-model men in T poses, each inappropriately attired and missing various body parts.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Toops posted:

Solar Plebeian weekly update is up! I managed to pull off my first big test of the great engine swap of 2016. I ported assets into Unreal Engine 4 (had to completely re-texture them), and was able to reproduce the Flight Model I wrote in Unity over in UE4 fairly accurately in a weekend. I also took a crack at the particle system which is the superheated debris flying past the spaceship you'll see in the video below. It's still wonky, and not connected to ship speed yet, but it's there.

In terms of visual quality, rendering pipeline, there's absolutely no contest. UE4 looks fantastic. As for the code, it's C++ man. It's the official programming language of the Stimpire. I poo poo you not, I literally ruined my project due to a simple syntax error in C++. I made a change, hit compile, and the compiler crashed, which then caused Unreal Editor to crash. Then whenever I tried to re-open the project, it would crash. Corrupted the project files due to a loving syntax error. That was a real new one.

Lookin good.

Can you add organisations we can join. Suggested groups: Snowflakes, High Maintenance, Goons, Derek Smart.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
The MVP is everything they promised on Kickstarter. Tick rock Roberts

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME
https://ico.org.uk/about-the-ico/what-we-do/register-of-data-controllers/

quote:

The Data Protection Act 1998 requires every organisation that processes personal information to register with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO), unless they are exempt. Failure to do so is a criminal offence.

ruh roh

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

:magical: and :munch:

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Toops posted:

Good God you've done more in 6 months than CIG has done in 4 years. 1 person.. It's disgusting. Think of what you could have not failed at with 114 million USD.

Keep up the good work.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

SomethingJones posted:

Gorf, his arms wide
MoMA, his belt unfurled

DS, the mind open

ps:
DS, His fingers moving

intardnation fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jun 6, 2016

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Toops posted:

Pretty awesome, but with the way you were circling that asteroid (I know why), I was expecting to you to swing around and see like a Pgabz spacekitty face or something...

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

Toops posted:

a simple simon and a pubic's cube! well done. And the fidelity I can tell the cube needs a shave as per sandi.
q) does the engine change impact VR in any way? is it possible you can VR in SP?

intardnation fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jun 6, 2016

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012
Assumption is the mother of all fuckups but.

I don't know how many people work for cig atm. 300 or so?
Before 2013 August it was like 100 maybe?

If you take all these people the average salary of $60.000 some more some less.
How many offices do they have 4 or so what do they cost $600 day maybe.
Computer licenses $14 a day ($5000 a year) for half of their people?

Their cost will be now $54.000 a day and they still would have like 56mil left.
Income $53.000 a day so they are on line with what goes out and what goes in.

I know this is very rough but I don't have that much more info atm.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

crunchin the numbers on cig is a surefire way to forfeit your sanity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

This is where the fact that I'm not a lawyer comes into full effect. There are exemptions for various organisations, including:

quote:

organisations that process personal data only for:
staff administration (including payroll);
advertising, marketing and public relations (in connection with their own business activity); and
accounts and records;

Which may apply to Foundry 42 if they're simply making code for CIG. Zendesk, which provides the software for the CS team, has a UK ICO listing, but I don't know whether they employ CIG's customer services, or whether that's handled in-house by a CIG subsidiary. CIG, CIG UK, and Foundry 42 do not have publicly accessible ICO listings, based on about an hour's searching.

• Locked thread