Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

MarcusSA posted:

Well I thought I knew what I was getting myself into...

Clearly I had no idea.

Did you have any questions? I just beat the game with about 40 hours sunk into it. Only things I didn't complete were the obnoxiously difficult extra bosses from the original game, and the end bosses of the new Maze of Memory dungeon.

A few things that can help in the early game:

1. Use magic. A lot. Grinding magic levels lets you build things like the Academy in Avalon, and also gets you better spells (and their fusion equivalents). I recommend using all forms of magic that you can, as all of them have pretty good spells and combinations. You get a choice to sink a city to use Dark Magic, but you also lose out on a potential class to use in your party, so this is up to you. One of the new classes added to the iOS version comes with Dark Magic innate, though. You also want to build the University as soon as possible, as the Tactician class comes with three magic schools to use.

2. Random encounters are supposed to be tough, but don't be afraid of full party wipes. The system is built for you to be constantly experimenting, trying out new Emperors so you can get new formations and crafting different party compilations a la Suikoden. Once you're two or three generations in, and start getting randomized Emperors, you'll also get a set of tech teachers in the castle that will let you bring over techniques learned in the previous generation. What's nice is that if you learn a bunch of techs, then get a party wipe, those techs are not lost and will be available when you start a new generation (which typically is after beating a story scenario).

3. Two links help a ton: http://saga.wikia.com/wiki/Tech_Spark_Types
http://saga.wikia.com/wiki/Tech_Sparking

The first will give you a rundown of all potential recruits for all types of classes you get. These are not one to one with the iOS version, as some of them have been mangled in translation. These recruits all have different spark types, meaning they are coded in the game's data to spark tech attacks from certain weapon types only. Some classes only ever spark certain weapon techs, but some of the randomized people in that class may spark other, uncommon weapon types. So it's good to match the name of your potential recruit to the list to see if that's the recruit you want to take on, because if you give a character a weapon they don't spark well with, you're going to lose out on a lot of time and get no new techniques. This has not been updated with the two new classes, so I don't know what they spark with.

The second page gives you enemy recommendations for how to spark certain skills, and what skills you should use to spark their derivative, higher-level skills. That page, unfortunately, does not tell you which skills are tied to certain weapons or not, so you'll have to research in FAQs for those weapon-specific techs. Enemy level = chance of sparking skills, and if you're either well under or well over that tech's difficulty with that enemy, it won't spark. Enemy ranks go up as you battle more, so if you're not seeing the enemies on the page, you haven't battled enough yet. The game becomes much easier as you spark the better techniques.

Ubiquitous_ fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jun 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

disregard

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 4, 2016

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
is the secret of mana android port any good?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

corn in the fridge posted:

is the secret of mana android port any good?
The iOS port is kinda impossible to control. Does the android one support controllerS?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I hear the mobile ports have a new translation, but otherwise it's probably a pain in the rear end to control since it's an action RPG with touch screen controls. Don't know if they added anything else or fixed any bugs or whatever.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
idk but i bought it anyway. it seems okay like the controls aren't too bad but we'll see

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

I haven't had any real problems with the controls since SoM is pretty slow paced for an arpg because of the whole charge/stamina mechanic, but I haven't finished it yet so I don't know if there are some especially rough parts or something. Also the mobile version has new water effects so it looks slightly better than the original.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
yeah i just beat the plant thing in the dwarf cave and its not bad at all, if anything it feels pretty authentic as i remember the controls being a bit wonky in the original

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
FF TCG to get UK / Euro release in September
:homebrew:

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Man, after struggling quite a bit with the previous 3 Chocobo training challenges, I had one go at Catcher Chocobo (37 seconds), watched a youtube video of someone doing a 0.00 run...and got 0.00 on my second ever try at it.

I'm still not gonna bother with Lightning Dodging or the super-grindy poo poo though.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Is this actually any good? Not that I'm gonna bother with stuff that still gives random cards, or two-player card games in general really, but wondering if it'd be fun doing an online proxy if the actual game is good enough.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Insurrectionist posted:

Man, after struggling quite a bit with the previous 3 Chocobo training challenges, I had one go at Catcher Chocobo (37 seconds), watched a youtube video of someone doing a 0.00 run...and got 0.00 on my second ever try at it.

I'm still not gonna bother with Lightning Dodging or the super-grindy poo poo though.

Lightning dodging is the most egregious I've run into so far. The cactar minigame for Rikku's celestial was surprisingly fun and charming.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
If your on pc, you can find a cheat engine script for the lightning flash count.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

NikkolasKing posted:

So it's been forever since I played FFVII and even when I did, I never bothered with Enemy Skill because I just didn't see the point. However in the multiple difficulty mods I've played of VII, Enemy Skill has been a lifesaver.

However, there is one aspect of ES I think was weakened from vanilla VII but I'm not sure. I could swear I saw an LP where a player just used Magic Hammer on all the bosses and totally neutered them. The one in particular I 'm thinking of is the two-headed dragon at the top of the ice cliffs. Was it actually that good in the original or am I misremembering? All I know is that it is one of the things the mods always make pretty much worthless.

Also in my last run of VII I was really irritated when eventually I just "couldn't Sense" anything. I figured this was some intentional design, to keep things difficult. But nope - according to one modder I was just reading, it is literally impossible to display a HP value over 65,000 or else it overflows and shows a wrong figure. What the gently caress. Good design, Square. You made a glitch/bug/whatever that even modders can't do anything about.

The real win strat is to use Enemy Skill + Aeris's Planet Protector during a fight with the Midgar Zolom. Beta will carry you ridiculously far, especially in the best grinding area of the early game, the hallway leading to the Submarine in Junon. Fight overleveled enemies, use Beta, repeat, coast through the rest of the game.
Honestly the E. Skill in VII is probably my favorite implementation of Blue Magic - no necessary limit breaks, no weird beserker mechanics, just use the abilities that you took the time to learn.
(Also get Aqua Lung later on)

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Who has Planet Protector by then? Sadness and Elemental+Fire on your armour should do.

E: Unless I'm misremembering which Limit Level it's in.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

AlphaKretin posted:

Who has Planet Protector by then? Sadness and Elemental+Fire on your armour should do.

E: Unless I'm misremembering which Limit Level it's in.

This is the strategy that's always worked for me. I don't think you can get nearly that far with Aeris unless you specifically try to grind for it

of course, you're hosed if you don't get the materia from the Shinra tower

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Planet Protector is level 3, so yeah, you'd need some serious grinding to have got it by then.

You could grind it out in the Mythril Mines and come back, but you might as well go get Aqualung for a fraction of the effort.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
FF12 HD has been announced for PS4. No Western release confirmed, but it's a given really.

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201606/06107465.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2-bWotLKqo

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Happy about that for sure.

e: haaa they havent fixed his abs

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jun 6, 2016

Mega64
May 23, 2008

About drat time.

Still need to finish my playthrough for 12. Maybe I should get back to that soon.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jun 6, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

based on FINAL FANTASY XII INTERNATIONAL ZODIAC JOB SYSTEM
Background, character model, fonts and all 2D parts are higher resolution
Movie scenes are higher resolution
Uses current-gen graphics tech
7.1 surround sound
higher quality audio
Japanese and English voice
Option between original BGM and newly recorded BGM
shorter loading time
auto-save feature
turbo mode (specifically says they're making improvements to the turbo mode already there to make it more playable in fast forward)

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yessss...

If I didn't need more reason to get a PS4.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Keep in mind that it'll likely get a PC release in the following year or so.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm suddenly anticipating an HD remaster much more than the new Zelda or Persona :)

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I guess that leak was true. Also is Legend of Mana a good game?

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

based on FINAL FANTASY XII INTERNATIONAL ZODIAC JOB SYSTEM
Background, character model, fonts and all 2D parts are higher resolution
Movie scenes are higher resolution
Uses current-gen graphics tech
7.1 surround sound
higher quality audio
Japanese and English voice
Option between original BGM and newly recorded BGM
shorter loading time
auto-save feature
turbo mode (specifically says they're making improvements to the turbo mode already there to make it more playable in fast forward)

I wonder if 'higher quality audio' includes the compressed-to-hell English VA. The performances were mostly very good, so it would be nice to hear them in better quality.

Turbo mode will be nice for 12 as well because some of those maps are real big. Plus finally getting the IZJS stuff in English, of course.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Tired Moritz posted:

It's..uhhh..man, I dunno if I'd say good game. It's gorgeous, sounds beautiful, is interesting and all but I dunno if I'd say it was 'good', if that makes sense.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

It's fun to play until you get stuck because you have literally no idea what to do, where the main quest is, or actually, what even is the main quest.

Basically, guides required, unless you're satisfied just messing around and perhaps never even seeing the final boss/credits, and definitely not seeing a big part of the quests.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
But, who is Captain Basch?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Grozz Nuy posted:

I wonder if 'higher quality audio' includes the compressed-to-hell English VA. The performances were mostly very good, so it would be nice to hear them in better quality.

Turbo mode will be nice for 12 as well because some of those maps are real big. Plus finally getting the IZJS stuff in English, of course.

I doubt they still have any of those files.

But holy poo poo I'm excited, been waiting for this for years.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

goat

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Amppelix posted:

It's fun to play until you get stuck because you have literally no idea what to do, where the main quest is, or actually, what even is the main quest.

Basically, guides required, unless you're satisfied just messing around and perhaps never even seeing the final boss/credits, and definitely not seeing a big part of the quests.
It's this, Legend of Mana is actually a pretty solid game, at least on a core gameplay level, that suffers from being too opaque for its own good. In between the interesting free-form storytelling format and the pretty okay combat system that you learn to abuse i-frames to dodge bosses' ultimate attacks in, you end up having to navigate through weird scripted events where NPCs will warp you back to the start of a dungeon, or trial-and-error teleport mazes that warp you to the entrance if you mess up and poo poo, and tons of dead ends... its nightmare map design and event flagging has always stuck out as the hugest negatives, and they always overshadow everything else whenever I start thinking, "Hmm, maybe I wanna play Legend of Mana again."

Toshimo posted:

But, who is Captain Basch?
MY STOLEN IDENTITY WAS TURNED INTO A MEME BY AN IDIOT

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jun 6, 2016

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

A. Beaverhausen posted:

If your on pc, you can find a cheat engine script for the lightning flash count.

Even better, I dug up an autohotkey script and got it done while I had lunch! Also grabbed butterflies yesterday which took a little while but not too much.

Sadly, that still leaves Blitzball and while I don't loathe it and wouldn't mind a few games I'm pretty sure I won't have 100% winrate which means it could get tedious as poo poo. No easy scripting way out of this one.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
If you ditch the Aurochs and grab some good free agents it is reasonably simple to get a 100 percent win rate. The Al Bhed are the only ones likely to give you any trouble with their insane goalkeeper, and even he is passable with sphere shot.

I just played a couple of rounds of Blitzball every now and then while watching YouTube videos. It's safe to just camp in your own goal if you're in the lead and don't care about cheesing it.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Yeah the Al Bheds are the team I lost to so far (though the Ronsos that can just break through infinity characters are pretty bad too, thankfully they're not really any good at actually scoring) because of loving Nimrook catching everything.

I'll look up some decent ballers before I continue then.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Hire brother. You cant possibly lose with him.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I use Ronsos on my Blitz team even though they're incredibly slow, because being able to just weather every tackle is satisfying in its own way. You really do want at least one fast swimmer/passer (like Brother) though, otherwise it's like swimming through molasses.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Enallyniv posted:

If you ditch the Aurochs and grab some good free agents it is reasonably simple to get a 100 percent win rate. The Al Bhed are the only ones likely to give you any trouble with their insane goalkeeper, and even he is passable with sphere shot.

gently caress it, just get some cash, burn out his contracts on exhibition trash, and then save/load when he's up for renewal until they choose not to re-hire him :unsmigghh:

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Grozz Nuy posted:

In an interview with the localization staff, one of the members of RPGsite got the suggestion that the master quality VA was recorded, stored, and could be used again. I'd probably keep my expectations down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

The White Dragon posted:

gently caress it, just get some cash, burn out his contracts on exhibition trash, and then save/load when he's up for renewal until they choose not to re-hire him :unsmigghh:

Unless you're trying to play as few Blitzball games as possible for the Jupiter Sigil... In which case you reset everything and have a full power Nimrook with the Psyches every time. :gonk:

It's not too bad as long as you keep Sphere Shot on Tidus to sneak in at least one goal.