Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game

Toops posted:

Solar Plebeian weekly update is up! I managed to pull off my first big test of the great engine swap of 2016. I ported assets into Unreal Engine 4 (had to completely re-texture them), and was able to reproduce the Flight Model I wrote in Unity over in UE4 fairly accurately in a weekend. I also took a crack at the particle system which is the superheated debris flying past the spaceship you'll see in the video below. It's still wonky, and not connected to ship speed yet, but it's there.

In terms of visual quality, rendering pipeline, there's absolutely no contest. UE4 looks fantastic. As for the code, it's C++ man. It's the official programming language of the Stimpire. I poo poo you not, I literally ruined my project due to a simple syntax error in C++. I made a change, hit compile, and the compiler crashed, which then caused Unreal Editor to crash. Then whenever I tried to re-open the project, it would crash. Corrupted the project files due to a loving syntax error. That was a real new one.

But, all in all, I think the results speak for themselves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awb0COi6cJw

We love you
C++ is still one of the most used languages for gaming, however it has it's own drowbacks, like being literally prone to every kind of crash and being quite hard to write. I hate it but i use it as well.
Is Unity in C#? So you refactored all your work from C# to C++?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

alf_pogs posted:

crunchin the numbers on cig is a surefire way to forfeit your sanity

One day there will be a new form of mathematics created to discover/show the money flows at CIG.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

intardnation posted:

a simple simon and a pubic's cube! well done. And the fidelity I can tell the cube needs a shave as per sandi.
q) does the engine change impact VR in any way? is it possible you can VR in SP?

Jumping on the need Solar Plebeian VR

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://cloudimperiumservicesllc.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

Now renders a blank page :allears:

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

"Toops" posted:

As for the code, it's C++ man. It's the official programming language of the Stimpire. I poo poo you not, I literally ruined my project due to a simple syntax error in C++. I made a change, hit compile, and the compiler crashed, which then caused Unreal Editor to crash. Then whenever I tried to re-open the project, it would crash. Corrupted the project files due to a loving syntax error. That was a real new one.

I'm glad of it ;)

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Toops posted:

But, all in all, I think the results speak for themselves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awb0COi6cJw

CIG should C&D you, as you have already ripped off 90% of their code.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008
Page 404.2: Star Citizen not found

:gary:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Adding VR support to a UE4 project is veeeery easy.

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

Orions Lord posted:

Is there more data available?
We could make an calculation report of what the estimated costs are against what cig is earning.
This way we could estimate when they are starting to lose out.

That covers salaries assuming all 300 employees make 40k including roberts. It might also cover insurance hr things like that. So probably about covers labor period.

Theyve been at a loss for a while now not including secret investments

DOCa Cola
Feb 25, 2016

I am Ben Lesnicks wife, Alex IRL
Ask me anything!

blank page

Must be their regular monthly schedule where they take down the site entirely for maintenance. Just as you do with a service helpdesk. Has certainly nothing to do with their tagging i am sure. That was all lies anyway.

DOCa Cola fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jun 6, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Foo Diddley posted:

Funny how they can do all this but they just haven't got the time to go to E3

Clearly it's more important to focus on game development and ignore the frivolous distractions that would just be seen as a shallow marketing campaign.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

DOCa Cola posted:

blank page

Must be their regular monthly schedule where they take down the site entirely for maintenance. Just as you do with a service helpdesk. Has certainly nothing to do with their tagging i am sure. That was all lies anyway.

Salty goon asshats hacked the customer support portal!!11

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Now how are we going to overburden the CS guys with frivolous tickets :confused:

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

RattiRatto posted:

We love you
C++ is still one of the most used languages for gaming, however it has it's own drowbacks, like being literally prone to every kind of crash and being quite hard to write. I hate it but i use it as well.
Is Unity in C#? So you refactored all your work from C# to C++?
Yea, C# is massively more comfortable to write in than C++, but unfortunately a lot of what makes it comfortable is also a really bad for game engine logic. Like for example the whole garbage collecting mechanism, which you don't have any control over and can halt all your application's threads at any point, leading to framerate stutters, so you end up writing your own object pooling system to avoid creating/freeing objects and minimize memory pressure, giving the GC as little reason to run as possible. Or having to use ref arguments everywhere if you want to avoid unnecessarily creating tons of variable copies when for example performing matrix multiplications. Or having to use arrays of structs when dealing with lots of entities (e.g. particles), as this is the only way to guarantee memory locality so you can minimize costly cache misses. Or the JIT compiler that is very much optimized for transforming IL to machine code quickly, which in turn means that the generated code itself is not heavily optimized, as there's not exactly a lot of time to do any deep static analysis.

C# is ideal for rapidly developing and changing business applications, but doesn't give you enough control over its features to make it a high performance language. Some issues you can work around, but the end result doesn't exactly look like idiomatic C# either :shrug:

Sorry for the derail; I wish Star Citizen had a garbage collecting mechanism. It'd save each user about 30GB of hard drive space...

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

but they have done nothing wrong.

so sayeth the visionary,

so sayeth the backers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jkm5QrSzi_k

you are welcome.

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

Congrats everyone.

Derek is faking that too right??!?!!? -shitizen

Also derek hasnt even been involved in like the last ten embarassing things. Hes a boogeyman and a simple retweet makes him the mastermind

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

intardnation posted:

but they have done nothing wrong.

so sayeth the visionary,

so sayeth the backers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jkm5QrSzi_k

you are welcome.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/331972/customer-support-page-not-opening

:getin:

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
10 lucky snowflakes

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

I have responded kind sir.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

good job goonies

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Orions Lord posted:

Assumption is the mother of all fuckups but.

I don't know how many people work for cig atm. 300 or so?
Before 2013 August it was like 100 maybe?

If you take all these people the average salary of $60.000 some more some less.
How many offices do they have 4 or so what do they cost $600 day maybe.
Computer licenses $14 a day ($5000 a year) for half of their people?

Their cost will be now $54.000 a day and they still would have like 56mil left.
Income $53.000 a day so they are on line with what goes out and what goes in.

I know this is very rough but I don't have that much more info atm.

Best estimates of their current costs with around 260-300 staff are around 3 million per month. There's no real information on what they have left as loans, investors etc are all hidden, everything is hidden. In June last year (maybe the year before, it all runs into one) Erin Roberts said they had 500 staff (once people started worrying about money they stopped giving inflated staff numbers). Either you think they have a lot left or a little and where you are on that scale is closely aligned to how dumb you think the management is. So I'm guessing with an estimate of 56 million left you must think it's the best run game company ever.

AP fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jun 6, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Meanwhile, in a slightly less fidelitious galaxy...

http://dyingsungame.com/

It's out tomorrow.

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012

AP posted:

Best estimates of their current costs with around 260-300 staff are around 3 million per month. There's no real information on what they have left as loans, investors etc are all hidden, everything is hidden. In June last year (maybe the year before, it all runs into one) Erin Roberts said they had 500 staff (once people started worrying about money they stopped giving inflated staff numbers). Either you think they have a lot left or a little and where you are on that scale is closely aligned to how dumb you think the management is. So I'm guessing with an estimate of 56 million left you must think it's the best run game company ever.

I was just wondering about the costs etc.
And at work there is not much to do atm.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QJXN6npjVaMuzkyX4ggg_w3lcsJihkC86TndCpCJmNg/edit?usp=sharing

Very rough I am missing a lot of info but it's a start.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Meanwhile, in a slightly less fidelitious galaxy...

http://dyingsungame.com/

It's out tomorrow.

This project needs all the love it can get imo.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Orions Lord posted:

I don't know how many people work for cig atm. 300 or so?
Before 2013 August it was like 100 maybe?

If you take all these people the average salary of $60.000 some more some less.
How many offices do they have 4 or so what do they cost $600 day maybe.
Computer licenses $14 a day ($5000 a year) for half of their people?

Their cost will be now $54.000 a day and they still would have like 56mil left.
Income $53.000 a day so they are on line with what goes out and what goes in.

You can't be serious...

Orions Lord posted:

Assumption is the mother of all fuckups.
Ah that explains it...

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Orions Lord posted:

I was just wondering about the costs etc.
And at work there is not much to do atm.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QJXN6npjVaMuzkyX4ggg_w3lcsJihkC86TndCpCJmNg/edit?usp=sharing

Very rough I am missing a lot of info but it's a start.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

AP posted:

You do have to add the contractors and other affiliated persons to this btw. From the contractors that are doing the vanduul armada to the outside people working on mocap, cutscenes, AI etc etc.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Lol

Look at the source code of the page, the bit that had the categories in it is still there.

CIG literally removed everything except for the thing people were making fun of.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Chalks posted:

Lol

Look at the source code of the page, the bit that had the categories in it is still there.

CIG literally removed everything except for the thing people were making fun of.

Par for the course

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Dante80 posted:

You do have to add the contractors and other affiliated persons to this btw. From the contractors that are doing the vanduul armada to the outside people working on mocap, cutscenes, AI etc etc.

I don't think it's possible to get an accurate figure as everything is hidden, talk to Orions Lord if you want to discuss it. The burn rate is the rough estimate given by a few people who'd have a better idea than me.

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

Dante80 posted:

This project needs all the love it can get imo.

Seriously the storyline from the trailer alone is more compelling than sq42

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Chris himself must have changed the code, probably in the early hours by candle light

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Come, My Friends, We Need to Discuss Star Citizen
BY BRIAN RUBIN · PUBLISHED 07/06/2015

(this was a pleasure to transcribe and there is a TON more to listen to in the podcast, really recommend it!)

https://www.spacegamejunkie.com/oped/come-friends-discuss-star-citizen/
http://game-wisdom.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Brian-Rubin-5-25-16.mp3

@ 1:31

Someone asked me this the other day, why don't you have more STAR CITIZEN videos on your blog? And I answered them, 'because I can't download it'. Because every time I try to download it, it just STOPS. It just STOPS and I'm like 'I'm DONE with you, I'm done with your LAUNCHER, I don't want to sit here for 30 hours just to download ONE GAME'.

Someone actually emailed me and said, "You know what? If you turn off everything that uses the internet so that nothing can interrupt it, it'll be FINE", I'm like NO! I'm not doing that for one game! I'm not turning off my STEAM and my whatever to... NO! You're RIDICULOUS! I appreciate the advice, but NO! So I haven't played STAR CITIZEN in about... a year? And... um... I'm gonna make a CONFESSION to you, I bought a few SHIPS for it, and then I sold them at a PROFIT like six months ago... and then I bought a LIFETIME KEY for ELITE DANGEROUS! Because ELITE DANGEROUS is a game I can play RIGHT NOW.

And someone will be like, "oh you can play STAR CITIZEN", noooo not really, I saw... have you ever heard of BAD NEWS BARON? He's a streamer? He's a FULL TIME STREAMER, it's what he does, and he's a big STAR CITIZEN proponent, so I watched a stream of him and a bunch of people playing STAR CITIZEN the other day and I'm like, 'aaaaaahhhhhh... this game's not gonna be done until TWENTY TWENTY TWO... MAAAAYBE...'

I... I mean I still have bought into it, so I still have a SHIP and everything once the game is READY, I'm just like, 'I've got other stuff to play you guys... like ELITE, which ACTUALLY WORKS RIGHT NOW',

Q:
What are they doing like FUNDING WISE, I just went on their SITE for the first time and I see that there's...

They're still selling ships! They're still selling ships, they're still selling... having SALES on SHIPS, ships that aren't even DONE YET, ships that you can't even FLY... people are still buying them! Man if that's... that's... you know, how your COOKIE crumbles that's GREAT, that's not how I'm... that's not how ME works... wow I can't even talk anymore... But like um... like... like... I don't... I mean... and they're still... you can still BUY, I think, you can still SPEND MONEY for IN GAME CREDITS I think... I think I saw a video were now you can buy PANTS in the game... for your CHARACTER...

It's a CLOTHING STORE, it's like a FUTURISTIC GAP and you can actually buy... So yeah, I'm at my... I used to be a huge like 'oh my god this game is gonna be great', but as it gets FARTHER and FARTHER away from the date they gave us in KICKSTARTER, back when we got it... like, it was supposed to come out in 2014, and they just kept ADDING STUFF and ADDING STUFF and ADDING STUFF... like I think one of the stretch goals was a FISH TANK for your hangar at one point... it was like sixty some million or something, and they PASSED IT, of course they did, and uh... and it's like, OK, I don't... I don't... I'm just gonna... I'm just... I'm just gonna put you in the back of the ROOM for now, I'm gonna deal with the people... the GAMES up front here, that I can PLAY right now and that actually WORK... and I'll come back to you! Later! I'll check in on you... NEXT YEAR... when I've UPGRADED, that's probably what I'll do, when I've upgraded my computer in a year or two, I'll try you again. Like even before I install STEAM or anything I'll install THAT just to see what it's like.

But... last time I tried it, I couldn't configure my JOYSTICK. Or my THROTTLE. Or my PEDALS. Or my HEADTRACKING. Uhm... and... and... like... it took FOREVER to get into a match, and I couldn't... I couldn't ENJOY it. So, I just like... 'yeah, we're DONE. For now. We're just DONE.'

It's just... it's such a SHAME.

Q:
I'm looking at these STRETCH GOALS and there's a voice in my head saying, 'this is just all BULLSHIT'. I'm looking at the SIXTY FOUR MILLION DOLLAR STRETCHGOAL, which is the PET ONE that you were just mentioning. You're telling me that it costs ONE MILLION DOLLARS to add a PET SYSTEM in the game? That doesn't make sense.

But all those FISH are INDIVIDUALLY MODELED and they have their OWN AI and... and.. each SCALE is individually RENDERED and... I don't know...I have no idea any more...

Eventually I believe they stopped adding stretch goals, I think they did that a while ago but... I got other stuff to PLAY right now, I mean there's ELITE coming out with NEW STUFF and they're already, you know, past 1.0... there's just a TON of games out that I can play RIGHT NOW. Or look, I can go BACK and play WING COMMANDER, or I could play FREESPACE 2, you know, if I want that EXPERIENCE. I don't... need you right now, it's so... it's so... it's so FRUSTRATING. It's SO FRUSTRATING.

Q:
This is just really showing those tell-tale signs of a game that's GOING to CRASH AND BURN. Cos it just feels like there's no, like... PLAN... like they're just like ADDING STUFF by throwing darts on a BOARD. This is similar to what happened with PLANETARY ANNIHILATION, and how they hit ALL their stretch goals and I think it just OVERWHELMED them and... I know earlier this year they announced for STAR CITIZEN, there's now going to be a complete STORY BASED SINGLE PLAYER CAMPAIGN, I think MARK HAMILL and GARY OLDMAN are gonna be in it?

I mean that was probably the original THING, was that there was gonna be SQUADRON FORTY-TWO and it was gonna be the more WING COMMANDER-Y single player portion of the game, I mean that was there from the get-go but then... MARK HAMILL? And... and... GARY OLDMAN? And... and... the... the woman I... from the X-FILES, I can't remember her name... GILLIAN ANDERSON... yeah SHE'S in it, it's like, 'Oh! Yeah, yeah, like BIG NAMES', it's like oh, so THAT'S where our MONEY'S GOING.

And then you see like VIDEO of their OFFICES, like they've got... one of their offices has a DOOR that looks like it's from a SPACESHIP. Like... CUSTOM DOOR. It's like, is that what our... yeah. Is that REALLY what our money... when I saw that I was like 'OK, I... I'm just gonna... IGNORE this'

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

the mobile site doesn't!

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Ash1138 posted:

the mobile site doesn't!

:downs:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Anything interesting happen this weekend, commandos?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

SirPhoebos posted:

Anything interesting happen this weekend, commandos?

http://www.dereksmart.org/forums/topic/general-discussions/#post-3617

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Ash1138 posted:

the mobile site doesn't!

The perils of modern web page design!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Wait, are you trying to say that most companies don't treat customers like tagged animals, or is it more that most don't make it as obvious as CIG is doing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOCa Cola
Feb 25, 2016

I am Ben Lesnicks wife, Alex IRL
Ask me anything!
..aand not so blank anymore

• Locked thread