Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

power botton posted:

you and a few of your friends have all bought 50+ crates.

Makes sense :gary: I've bought 48 and if someone would ask me to be the 6th Biker Torbjörn, I'd buy that poo poo right away :manning:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Lady Naga posted:

He has an affected way of speaking yeah but there's a difference between doing that and having a ridiculous parody accent. Man I don't even know why I have to justify myself here there were people upthread who complained about the fake Australian accents and nobody threw them shade :(

Well, that's largely because Australians are basically cartoon characters themselves. Fair dinkum, sheila.

But for real, I wish they were more consistent on accents in the game. As much as I love Lucio, there's no reason why they couldn't have gotten a dude that speaks Br. Portuguese or why Reinhardt doesn't speak a lick of German.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

It's interesting how much more Japanese genji speaks than Hanzo. Hanzo becomes a wanderer after he was tragically a fat dick head. So he's a world traveler. Maybe it's supposed to be a thing about how international some characters are. Reinhardt is the face of overwatch, Lucio is a famous muscian, ect.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Or maybe it's just a cartoon video game with cartoon characters.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

pakman posted:

Or maybe it's just a cartoon video game with cartoon characters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXqIkDm2jkc&t=41s

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I legit didn't know Junkrat was supposed to be Australian until someone posted it itt a week ago, I thought he was just supposed to sound like a weirdo

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Soothing Vapors posted:

I legit didn't know Junkrat was supposed to be Australian until someone posted it itt a week ago, I thought he was just supposed to sound like a weirdo

its a mad max joke

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I like playing Soldier because he's got the biotic field for when the healer is lucio.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Vanderdeath posted:

Well, that's largely because Australians are basically cartoon characters themselves. Fair dinkum, sheila.

But for real, I wish they were more consistent on accents in the game. As much as I love Lucio, there's no reason why they couldn't have gotten a dude that speaks Br. Portuguese or why Reinhardt doesn't speak a lick of German.

Especially considering that Mercy has german lines.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The characters really are pretty garbage compared to team fortress

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
speaking of junkrat til: a fiery is what australian people supposedly call firemen

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Digirat posted:

reported

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Digirat posted:

hmm.. no

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Digirat posted:

Lol what

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Mods???

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
hahahahaha wow what an epic troll!!!!!!!!! LOL

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Defend the silly death guy to me. Defend him

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Digirat posted:

He's a joke, it's supposed to be funny.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Digirat posted:

:thejoke:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
It'd be more obvious that it was supposed to be a joke if he had a single self-aware line.

Edit: Also, seconding that the characters really are pretty garbage compared to Team Fortress

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jun 6, 2016

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Digirat posted:

:allears:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

There's simply no way the evildeathdoom guy in all black surrounded by cartoon gorillas and korean catgirls can be funny. We must take him at face value.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

It'd be more obvious that it was supposed to be a joke if he had a single self-aware line.

that would ruin his whole thing

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

exquisite tea posted:

There's simply no way the evildeathdoom guy in all black surrounded by cartoon gorillas and korean catgirls can be funny. We must take him at face value.

I dunno, we're talking about the company that made Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 here.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Diablo 3 was hilarious also.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Broken Cog posted:

Pretty much every other character makes fun of his shtick.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knD6CqI3t04

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Tracer: *in her deepest voice possible, after doming Reaper* "Deeeth cooooomes"

Yeah no Blizzard is totally unaware that Reaper is kind of silly woops

e ffcuk

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

im not sure the evil face on his boots and his hanging evil face belt buckle may in fact be completely serious

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Minrad posted:

im not sure the evil face on his boots and his hanging evil face belt buckle may in fact be completely serious

i'm pretty sure i used those in wow at some point

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

LCL-Dead posted:

Especially considering that Mercy has german lines.

My understanding is that she used to have a different VA but replaced her with native speaker. They probably added most of the German lines at that point.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jun 6, 2016

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Like again the whole ethos behind Overwatch is a throwback to developer-driven aesthetics and Reaper would totally fit in with any of the self-serious dumb bullshit that were in Unreal Tournament or whatever so the fact that he's so self serious is literally the entire point.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I mean you can call Overwatch characters bad if you like but I don't see how the TF2 guys are more interesting on any level

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Fans posted:

Pretty much every other character makes fun of his shtick.
Really? I've only heard the Tracer one, and that one honestly says more about Tracer than it does about Reaper. It's also not that funny.
I think I might also have heard Lucio tell Reaper to "cheer up" or something once.

Edit: Oh, there it is

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

I mean you can call Overwatch characters bad if you like but I don't see how the TF2 guys are more interesting on any level

Please don't entertain this line of discussion unless you want to get 10,000 word philosophical treatises On the Nature of Humour by goons who describe themselves as "sarcastic" in their okcupid profiles.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Digirat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knD6CqI3t04

e: beaten like 10 times, gently caress you guys

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jun 6, 2016

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

dva is a bunnygirl not a catgirl you son of a bitch

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Widowmaker is the worst character because she's actually just as edgy as Reaper but there's nothing funny about it.

Also she's sniper scum.

EDIT: Winston has the best pre-match exchange with Reaper when it comes to making fun of him.

:smug: "Poor Winston, has to hide away to not scare the children."
:geno: "Even children wouldn't be afraid of you."

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Broken Cog posted:

Edit: Also, seconding that the characters really are pretty garbage compared to Team Fortress

He does. He actually says to Reaper "And I thought I was supposed to be the comic relief!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Overwatch is a dumb gay cartoon game for babies but I like that it has at least some measure of diversity whatsoever v TF2, so Overwatch wins in my book instantly