Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

I.N.R.I posted:

youre kidding.

I wasn't being completely serious, they aren't going to give up a few millions because of Ariel. No matter how petty they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Andy Dufresne posted:

He said was there's an allowable limit for caffeine so everyone takes just enough caffeine pills to get close to that limit, since with coffee or energy drinks or whatever you can't be sure how much you're getting and you may accidentally get popped.

Wait really? A few years ago like an before a football game I drank a monster and half way through the game I never felt so tired and lovely in my life. Maybe it was a coincidence but I was pretty sure it was from all the caffeine and sugar I got from the energy drink.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Marching Powder posted:

this is stupid. they'll flex to teach a primadonna irishman a lesson but they wouldn't gently caress brock lesnar off their marquee card to burn ariel loving helwani.

especially since we can assume UFC has been working on this Brock at 200 thing for a while, so they knew that McGregor vs Diaz 2 would be an expendable fight if necessary.

It hadn't even hit me yet but I have to say I think Jones vs Cormier 2 above a Brock fight is a much better fit than McGregor vs Diaz 2 as the headliner. Brock's return is already a circus of an event, so Jones winning his title back afterwards will balance out the evening. UFC lucked out with that one, or planned it from the beginning and took us all for the ride.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Imagine being the dude who has to tell Brock Lesnar he's not getting a couple of million pay day so that they can own a tin pot journo.

I think Brock would have straight headlined if they'd be able to secure the fight before now, like Conor Diaz 2 was scheduled for.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Bubba Smith posted:

especially since we can assume UFC has been working on this Brock at 200 thing for a while, so they knew that McGregor vs Diaz 2 would be an expendable fight if necessary.

It hadn't even hit me yet but I have to say I think Jones vs Cormier 2 above a Brock fight is a much better fit than McGregor vs Diaz 2 as the headliner. Brock's return is already a circus of an event, so Jones winning his title back will balance out the evening. UFC lucked out with that one, or planned it from the start of this year and took us all for the ride.

Bit of both I think. The Brock fight must have been months in the making and they did a really good job of keeping it a secret for as long as they did, but to have come off like it did took some real lucky breaks and childish hissy fits from the world's biggest featherweight . Brock could easily headline 200 but I agree that having it as 2nd to a title fight and the marquee return of the UFC-mandated #1 pound-for-pound fighter makes more sense.

Speaking of Conor, does anyone have any hot takes on what the new weight cut rules mean for him in regards to fighting again at 145? Odd that someone ended up in hospital even with the new rules, although that could have just been bad management on that fighter's part.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I don't think anything they do to weigh-in rules will stop fights who want to fight at an unnaturally low weight from doing so. They'll make it work and pull strings for mega stars besides.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Memento posted:

Bit of both I think. The Brock fight must have been months in the making and they did a really good job of keeping it a secret for as long as they did, but to have come off like it did took some real lucky breaks and childish hissy fits from the world's biggest featherweight . Brock could easily headline 200 but I agree that having it as 2nd to a title fight and the marquee return of the UFC-mandated #1 pound-for-pound fighter makes more sense.

Speaking of Conor, does anyone have any hot takes on what the new weight cut rules mean for him in regards to fighting again at 145? Odd that someone ended up in hospital even with the new rules, although that could have just been bad management on that fighter's part.

That fighter was Kevin Casey, so it almost certainly was. I don't think those rules will stop Conor from fighting again at 145, but the already short amount of time him and his camp want to spend there is probably shortening, depending on how the UFC handles it.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

That card was so crazy the Green knockout got overlooked. It was spectacular, he was talking crazy poo poo and then immediately got knocked the gently caress out.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I liked his lazy clapping from the spot he'd been knocked out while the doctors brought him around.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Ty1990 posted:

Wait really? A few years ago like an before a football game I drank a monster and half way through the game I never felt so tired and lovely in my life. Maybe it was a coincidence but I was pretty sure it was from all the caffeine and sugar I got from the energy drink.

i doubt it had anything to do with the drink

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Just got done watching the card and :vince: what dimension am I in, Bisping's champ via 1st round KO and I'm pretty sure Hendo murdered Lombard, with some reverse ninja BRE(?) Hendo secret technique. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills :psyduck:

mistakinder
Mar 19, 2010

YES
http://mmajunkie.com/2016/06/trading-shots-does-it-matter-if-the-ufc-wasnt-the-first-to-announce-lesnars-return

For the time-poor, Ben Folkes thinks we should just stop short of giving St Helwani a Peabody Award, and UFC employee Danny Downes cracks a couple of Che Guevara jokes but otherwise stay quiet enough to not be tomorrows headline.

I wonder if Folkes is jealous of Ariels martyrdom, given how much effort he puts into winding the UFC brass up?

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I would like Mark Hunt to fight Lesnar and punch him in his guts real hard.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Memento posted:

he wont defend a belt ever. if there was a market I could buy on I would id bet

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Ewar Woowar posted:

I would like Mark Hunt to fight Lesnar and punch him in his guts real hard.

Mark Hunt: yeah

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Memento posted:

He fought under the "No IV" rule already, and the UFC 202 fight isn't taking place in California like 199 did so there won't be any of the 10am to 2pm weigh in stuff the CSAC just passed.

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

It probably doesn't mean anything, but I follow a few WWE wrestlers on twitter and randomly a few months ago they all started talking about Struve at the same time--playing as him in the UFC2 game and then all rooting for him for the UFC Rotterdam card. Like, I can't remember them ever talking about MMA before or since.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I just caught up with everything and everything is right and good with the world.

CommonShore posted:

UFC should do two things.

1) Communicate better with journalists about when it's OK to report press-release type news, even if it's in the form of some kind of public policy.

2) Not be dicks to journalists.

Helwani is not a journalist because he doesn't really do anything to investigate. Like the local beat reporter works harder than Ariel. And sports media is the biggest joke ever compared to even mainstream regular news. Ariel was never anything more than a PR tool for the UFC and for some reason he thought he mattered, lol.

canoshiz posted:

It makes me smile every time whenever I think about how Rockhold just became the most thoroughly owned person in the history of the UFC over the entire course of last night. I think only Overeem vs Bigfoot came close.

So when Luke got KO'd by pillow-fisted Bisping, do you think he spit or swallowed?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA0DikFdIWE

For real though, injury or no Rockhold had some massive hubris going to just stand in the pocket and exchange with Bisping with no defense. I mean sure Bisping has never hurt anyone before, but gently caress dude just try not to be retarded.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

acejackson42 posted:

I wonder if it will upset ariel helwani that bisping's win is overshadowing his banning.

Christ, knowing Helwani's ego, he's probably kicking chairs over the fact Bisping won and will create a Major Beef (© 2010 A Helwani) with him over it so he can confront Bisping in the future. Well, that's if he ever gets to talk to a UFC fighter again...

you just made me realize that ariel is basically WCW-era Mean Gene, more concerned about getting himself over in segments and pimping his hotline than actually doing his job (interviewing fake athletes for a fake sport)

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
I wasn't just referring to the fight itself but also the post fight press conference in which Bisping constantly reminded Rockhold that he just got knocked the gently caress out in a round and Rockhold was being salty as gently caress. So awesome.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

also underrated was cormier's pouty-face while consoling luke. when jones crushes him he is going to cry so hard

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....

eshock posted:

It probably doesn't mean anything, but I follow a few WWE wrestlers on twitter and randomly a few months ago they all started talking about Struve at the same time--playing as him in the UFC2 game and then all rooting for him for the UFC Rotterdam card. Like, I can't remember them ever talking about MMA before or since.

nice I saw a cloud today shaped like a lunch box so i think this means that e will be fighting shane carwin based on this logic

Positronbob
Jul 5, 2007
Right through the pants

quote:

human being isn't the n-word, no matter how much suffering and indignity the LGBT community experience - and they definitely suffer a level of prejudice and hatred to match the X-Men at least

Hahahaha what the gently caress is this?

mistakinder
Mar 19, 2010

YES

Positronbob posted:

did you never see that one film where harvey milk fires lasers from his eyes and magneto goes on grindr

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
by using the f word that isn't gently caress michael bisping, ufc champion and mouthpiece, thinks homosexuals are sub-human and undeserving of rights equal to that of heterosexuals and is definitely not just a word said by a manchesterman in the immediate aftermath of a heated exchange between himself and a man he will probably confront again violently in the near future. we should all spend at least one post metaphorically shaking our heads at this backwards thinking and admonishing michael 'the count' bisping.

Marching Powder fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jun 6, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

We call Manchester folk "Mancs".

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Skip My Posts posted:

Poirier has looked very good since getting stopped by Conor, what big fights are available for him?

I know he's busy with a title shot but I feel like Poirier vs Eddie Alvarez might bring back the old Eduardo

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

I know he's busy with a title shot but I feel like Poirier vs Eddie Alvarez might bring back the old Eduardo

this is a fantastic idea. for a smaller step up, beniel dariush.

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I wouldn't put it past the UFC to cancel the Brock fight themselves just so that they can say that Ariel caused damages.

I don't think that would happen at all. I doubt the UFC folks want to be recognized as the type of completely impotent pussies who get hosed over by allegedly useless nerd Ariel Helwani. In fact, it makes more sense that they would do the opposite

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen

Positronbob posted:

For me it's very interesting because I trained at a gym in the redneck northwest for 10 years and came out as bisexual like 6 months before I stopped fighting. The word human being always really bothered me when people I could beat on said it 30 times per practice as a way to describe everyone from people who dressed too well (conor) to people who injected roids (because it's like having your muscles hosed by a very small sharp penis). But after I came out my coach had a secret meeting with the fight team so they could all talk about how scary it was that I might get a massive erection every time I got into top guard or mount, and my best friend (not homophobic) suggested they stop using the word human being to describe everyone bad. Unfortunately the rest of the team decided that I was being an irrational homo and that the word human being "meant something different" so me feeling like they considered me a less valuable type of human was just some queer being a drama queen.

I will say that it felt really lovely having to listen to my training partners talk about how these faggy dudes would always be coming onto them at bars (because most homophobes think they are also very attractive to us) and then clarify that human being in this context meant that the gius dressed well and had a feminine voice, not that they were faggy because they were gay.

I'd say the one feeling worse than having someone explain why human being was okay to say in a certain context was still a little less painful than those same people telling me (read: the posters in this thread) that I need to learn to get with the times and that words change in meaning you dumb dramatic queer.

So I guess what I'm saying is, let's not try to justify Bisping saying human being as if it were okay because of his upbringing or the mutable nature of words because that's a super lovely not okay thing to argue for.

I eventually had to leave that gym because it was so heinously embarassing and painful to have people you've rolled with for years actively seek out other partners and ignore you like you were some random creepy guy in skintight underarmor pant with an obvious erection at the local big box gym. I fundamentally believe that part of the reason people can do obvious homophobic poo poo like that is because they are slowly desensitized to that mindset by little things like saying the word human being and condescendingly explaining why gay people have no right to feel offended when the word human being is used.

I hope this helps all the posters who are in some way defending the use of the word human being as okay in any context

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It's a weird word because it seems to have been used in a lot of areas to just mean like "idiot" or "rear end in a top hat" with zero homophobic meaning, yet in my experience other slurs have not been used like that

Then again that's just my experience in my town.

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen

The Dave posted:

It's a weird word because it seems to have been used in a lot of areas to just mean like "idiot" or "rear end in a top hat" with zero homophobic meaning, yet in my experience other slurs have not been used like that

Then again that's just my experience in my town.

The important thing, I think, is that even thought it can be used with zero homophobic meaning, it probably became a vernacular insult because it originally was used to refer to gays. Even if that wasn't how it came about, people who have been on the receiving end of any homophobia will more often than not have been called a human being repeatedly as an insult, and using it in a non gay bashing way means almost the exact same thing to them.

It probably wouldn't be sufficient to explain "I'm not calling him the bad word for queers because I think he is gay, I am calling him the bad synonym for who you are because I think he is a stupid, useless prick whom should kill themselves."

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I've never heard the term human being used in England as "idiot" and extremely rarely "rear end in a top hat", so I would assume Bisping was using it as "weakling", "wuss", "wimp", "pushover" which is the most common usage over here, I'd argue. But like I mentioned yesterday, gay men being "weaklings" and so called "lesser men" by implication of that is a negative stereotype anyway so it's less direct, but still generally homophobic even if it's not his straight up intent.

As was said though, he immediately realised his error and accepted fault so it's not like he doubled down and made it worse. And I don't think anyone is saying it's okay because of his upbringing and mutable nature of words, just that this is why these things slip out despite knowing better. The remorse and acceptance that it's not right and he shouldn't have done it is sufficient enough though. He's not on trial.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jun 6, 2016

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

eshock posted:

It probably has something to with this and nothing to do with anything based in real life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvkJ7yVSYhE&t=660s

e: got the wrong video

Raffles fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jun 6, 2016

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I've never heard the term human being used in England as "idiot" and extremely rarely "rear end in a top hat", so I would assume Bisping was using it as "weakling", "wuss", "wimp", "pushover" which is the most common usage over here, I'd argue. But like I mentioned yesterday, gay men being "weaklings" and so called "lesser men" by implication of that is a negative stereotype anyway so it's less direct, but still generally homophobic even if it's not his straight up intent.

As was said though, he immediately realised his error and accepted fault so it's not like he doubled down and made it worse. And I don't think anyone is saying it's okay because of his upbringing and mutable nature of words, just that this is why these things slip out despite knowing better. The remorse and acceptance that it's not right and he shouldn't have done it is sufficient enough though. He's not on trial.

I agree, Bisping is okay, just that it was weird and wrong that some posters felt that this was their time to stand up and defend the use of the word human being instead of The Count's specific actions

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
Let's talk about the word human being

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

eshock posted:

I'm trying to imagine the scenario where Brock lesnar leaks his UFC 200 opponent to a bunch of wrestlers whose names he doesn't even know months ahead of time.

I'm betting he isn't going to face a heavyweight in the mix. Barnett is the only good shot on the roster, otherwise it's going to be a freak show. Goldberg?

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Keg posted:

Let's talk about the word human being

Let's talk about GSP

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Andy Dufresne posted:

I'm betting he isn't going to face a heavyweight in the mix. Barnett is the only good shot on the roster, otherwise it's going to be a freak show. Goldberg?

I saw Wrestlemania 20 and I'm pretty sure that would still have better action than Bill Goldberg vs Brock Lesnar in MMA in the year 2016.

I'm hoping Meltzer is wrong and it's Hunto. He deserves a huge payday and massive win on the greatest stage.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jun 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I saw Wrestlemania 20 and I'm pretty sure that would still have better action than Bill Goldberg vs Brock Lesnar in MMA in the year 2016.

I hoping Meltzer is wrong and it's Hunto. He deserves a huge payday and massive win on the greatest stage.

has Meltzer said something about who he expects the opponent to be?

• Locked thread