Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

8-Bit Scholar posted:

At the wedding, don't worry about winning the card game. In fact, you should try to lose.

This is pretty much all you need to know for Hearts of Stone. When you get to the wedding, it's a hilarious and light-hearted segment, losing the card game adds to this. The very first thing you should do at the wedding is find the table with the halflings and LOSE a Gwent game to them.

Otherwise, nothing in particular to warn you about ahead of time for HoS expansion.

edit: lol goons are a bunch of asses

don't read if you haven't gone to the wedding, unless you hate fun: the rear end ears make Geralt-as-Vlodomir even more hilarious. The whole thing is incredibly charming and fun and the ears add to the ridiculousness of Vlodomir fawning all over Shani while hip-strutting around and chasing pigs. It's my favorite part of HoS, although the main quest is superb overall.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jun 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

extra stout posted:

am i reading this wrong or is your advice on the best way to dive into my new 8 dollar video game to replay the 105 hour video game i just now beat and am done with for a year

For some reason i didnt parse your post. I mean i read it and i just had a brain failure.

But yes theres no way youve covered everything and when you wrap up hearts and blood and wine if you get it, play again if the itch isnt scratched! Sincerelym

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Before I shut down the game for the night I literally just met... I think his name was Zoltan

Dwarf with a mohawk

Are we going to have totally awesome drunken adventures together or am I just setting myself up for disappointment

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Ciaphas posted:

Before I shut down the game for the night I literally just met... I think his name was Zoltan

Dwarf with a mohawk

Are we going to have totally awesome drunken adventures together or am I just setting myself up for disappointment

Zoltan...is bros.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

StoneOfShame posted:

Yeah, it replaces the shaving questions so doesn't affect anything outside of the choices in those questions and as I said if you have a run of imported saves from Witcher 1 aerondight being easier to obtain

I did a full play through of 1 and 2 before witcher 3 and the "don't lose it this time...GERALT" aerondight reveal was perfect.

I know for a fact that a super gimped version imports into witcher 2. Did anyone hold onto it? I can't remember if any items imported from 2 to 3.

Jimlit fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jun 6, 2016

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Zoltan...is bros.

Your post fills me with hope for my playtime tomorrow after work

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm sort of amazed at how hard the game has grabbed me since playing through The Bloody Baron and Family Matters (and the associated bunches of quests of course). Going in I sort of expected a quest line about dealing with an rear end in a top hat tin pot dictator for information, maybe possibly killing him along the way--not necessarily restoring order in Velen, I had at least that much of a sense for the shittiness of the Witcher universe, but maybe at least relieving things a little

Instead I got, well, you all know

Barring the supernatural elements of the universe the whole thing hit unbelievably close to home, and resonated harder than just about any game before (barring maybe UnderTale's true ending and associated events but that felt more directly aimed at the heartstrings). The writing was a huge part of that of course but I'm more impressed by how well the game gets that writing across, not just in the voice acting but in the facial and body expressions of the characters and beings. Like watching and listening to the Baron whilst preparing to bury the Botchling. I can't say how it'd feel personally to do that but his reactions and emotions felt real in a way I can't remember a game actually doing before... well, ever

And you folks are telling me it consistently manages this through just about the entire game?

Jeez laweeze

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I gotta say whoever is voicing Regis is so loving good, every time he speaks I'm so drat intrigued.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

And you folks are telling me it consistently manages this through just about the entire game?

Jeez laweeze

Bloody Baron / Family Matters is one of the high points, but it's consistently good throughout. There will be major quests and zones that are on the same lever or even more powerful than Velan, and some that will be cool but not quite as moving.

Velen is usually the :aaa: point for new players. It gets this good a few more times and is generally awesome.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Oh my, there are almost too many side quests on B&W, to the point that I'm tackling them in level order for fear of out leveling them, and it's kind of exhausting.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

VolticSurge posted:

I tried installing the debug console mod a Goon suggested a ways back,but it doesn't work. Whenever I try to start the game up,I get this:

I'm asking the thread for advice because God Knows how useless the :nexus: is.

You need to download and replace [content0]engine\telemetrykeyword.ws. You should be able to find one now that you know you need one.

Also, I'm not sure if they actually made the console mod specifically work for this patch yet. Last time I checked, a couple of days ago, they didn't.

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.
Just beat Blood and Wine, I think I managed to get the best ending with the sisters reconciling. Is there any follow up to that after the credits, or is them hugging all there is?

Great expansion, great ending to the series and to probably one of the best games I've ever played (though the knowing look at the end was maybe a bit much...). Now I'm dying to play Cyberpunk.

(also near-end B&W spoiler) Nice Dark Souls reference at the end of the Land of a Thousand Tales, too.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ciaphas posted:

Dwarf with a mohawk

Zoltan has some of the funniest quests in the game. Turns out he's a total redneck for a dwarf, and he loves fishing. This becomes important.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Does enemy scaling also cause drops to scale?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I really want to ask the goon who apparently works on the dev team whether or not the writers, voice actors and voice directors go through the script together to ensure prime delivery, because not only does the dialogue sound well-written and natural on the tongue, the emotional inflection is also really good.
Considering that imo Polish voice acting in this game is actually better than the English one I'd say they hire some really good voice actor directors across the board.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

This is true of Witcher 2 & 3 and extremely untrue of Witcher 1, which sounds better with the enhanced edition, but the english voice acting is DIRE

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

hemophilia posted:

This is true of Witcher 2 & 3 and extremely untrue of Witcher 1, which sounds better with the enhanced edition, but the english voice acting is DIRE

Dandelion's ballad at Shani's party. Aroo! Awroo! AWROO!

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Kinda late to the party, I assume, but SuperBunnyHop has put out a really good read of Hearts of Stone that touches on the cultural inspirations behind it, specifically the ones that aren't obvious to someone who isn't from Poland.

It contains spoilers for all the main questline of the DLC, but at this point I assume most regulars in this thread have played it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQHsmiFJqJc

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
So, third time I'm asking: Is there a secret ending? I googled it a little but it just shows the regular ones. Was it just buzz prior to release?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Extortionist posted:

(though the knowing look at the end was maybe a bit much...)

With any other game I'd agree, but CDPR earned that this time.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

I got the book to tell you where the Gwent cards you're missing are, and apparently I'm missing 1 in Skellige. Is there any better way to find where that'd be, on PS4, than talking to every merchant on the map?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Seedge posted:

I got the book to tell you where the Gwent cards you're missing are, and apparently I'm missing 1 in Skellige. Is there any better way to find where that'd be, on PS4, than talking to every merchant on the map?

Probably with some internet work you could compare card count for your decks to the official count, find out which faction you're short on, find out which card you're missing and look for where the card you need is vended, or who you need to play to win it.

That's a pain in the rear end and if there's an easier way to do it you should but that's what will work

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
People talking about alchemy and sign builds got me curious. I've always stuck with light armor and straight physical attacks, healing potions only, and using Igni and Axii sometimes. Is there a place with suggested builds, or are any goons interested in posting their alchemy or sign builds? When I've tried toying with them on my own, it never clicks for me.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Funky See Funky Do posted:

So, third time I'm asking: Is there a secret ending? I googled it a little but it just shows the regular ones. Was it just buzz prior to release?

Define secret ending.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Mizuti posted:

People talking about alchemy and sign builds got me curious. I've always stuck with light armor and straight physical attacks, healing potions only, and using Igni and Axii sometimes. Is there a place with suggested builds, or are any goons interested in posting their alchemy or sign builds? When I've tried toying with them on my own, it never clicks for me.

Well, I dunno if it's an optimal build or anything, but I'm running a sign heavy build with some points in alchemy and it worked well in the main game and haven't had much trouble in the expansions either. Especially now with mutations, I run with the Aard freeze and it's just laughably effective in crowd control.

Signs: I added Melt armor when I got the extra spot. Right now I don't have enough blue traits to use the other one. It's too bad you have to use the same color traits as the mutation.

Alchemy: Synergy, Poisoned blades, Acquired tolerance, Refreshment

Combat: Muscle memory and Precise blows

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jun 6, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

I'm fairly sure there's not. I certainly didn't notice anything that would even allow for something from the main game to influence the endings. :shrug:

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Where did you hear about a secret ending? I've never heard of any such thing.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I really want to ask the goon who apparently works on the dev team whether or not the writers, voice actors and voice directors go through the script together to ensure prime delivery, because not only does the dialogue sound well-written and natural on the tongue, the emotional inflection is also really good. One of the worst things in the Elder Scrolls games was how characters would just go from being pleasant and polite to angry and confrontational to stupid and content and back and forth basically by the line. Conversations felt incoherent, whereas the Witchers' sound natural, believable.

The only "bad" line in the game is when Geralt is giving his "i'm gonna kill you" speech to Whoreson Junior, and that's almost so bafflingly bad that I can only assume it's a translation error that they couldn't smooth out.

I don't know how the PL is handled, but the way we generate stuff is more or less as follows:
1. designer writes a DEBUG outline, if you have the gog installer bug and have seen stuff with [PL][DEBUG], this is what you are seeing, the original notes from the designer. These are sometimes in PL, sometimes in EN, depending on the designer.
2. story team writes all the DEBUG out as PL, but they also fill it out. A DEBUG might be one or two lines, but the initial PL might be 20.
3. Localization takes the PL and localizes it to EN, the EN then serves as the basis for all other localizations.
4. Each voiced localization is recorded and managed by different directors, all working from the same instructions.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Mizuti posted:

This is my alchemy build, with 3 decoctions I can heal constantly, heal when I use stamina, do increasing damage as I hit things and have 160% increase sword damage.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Where did you hear about a secret ending? I've never heard of any such thing.

There was talk pre-release that doing a certain thing during the main quest (the Wild Hunt one) would open up a secret Blood and Wine ending.

http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/gaming/645315/Witcher-3-Blood-And-Wine-Release-Date-Weapons-Map-Size-Secret-Ending-Details-Leaked

Re-reading it perhaps they meant the main Blood and Wine story?

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
I'm guessing the "secret" ending is getting the ribbon.

Staltran fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jun 6, 2016

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Staltran posted:

I'm guessing the "secret" ending is getting the ribbon.

Maybe spoiler tag that the ribbon is tied to an ending.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
I've run in to a really lovely bug in the B&W post-game. The game seems to think that I am still on the Night of the Long Fangs quest despite having beaten the expansion and Geralt won't shut up about having to stop Detlaff when I walk anywhere. I can't go anywhere in Toussaint without being teleported back and I just found this amazing hairdresser quest that I want to finish.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

There was talk pre-release that doing a certain thing during the main quest (the Wild Hunt one) would open up a secret Blood and Wine ending.

http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/gaming/645315/Witcher-3-Blood-And-Wine-Release-Date-Weapons-Map-Size-Secret-Ending-Details-Leaked

Details leaked from "insiders" usually means "made up poo poo". None of the other things they said were true either.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

It's probably just your romance interest showing up at the end.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

B&W should be renamed Bugs and Wine. I'm still just at the beginning and I already encountered a second game breaking bug that forced me to reload a previous save in order to continue playing. Basically the first boss encounter with Dettlaff ends when he brought my Geralt's life to 0. Then a long dialogue sequence with Regis started. The moment it ended and I got the control of Geralt back he still had his life at zero and immediately died, game over. It was kinda hilarious considering how casually he managed to keep it together throughout the long cutscene.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Pellisworth posted:

The very first thing you should do at the wedding is find the table with the halflings and LOSE a Gwent game to them.

Unfortunately the halflings didn't spawn for me in the game, so I was doing other activities, thinking they'll appear later. It wasn't until it was the last quest available did I notice something was wrong and I was forced to google what the hell was going on. So much potential wasted.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I have never been happier with a DLC.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Sour Diesel posted:

It's probably just your romance interest showing up at the end.

Ah, ok that makes sense. I never finished the final quest in the main story before playing B&W which is probably why it didn't happen for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Man, I'd forgotten what a "gently caress yeah" sequence the Battle at (midgame spoiler) Kaer Morhen is. It's just so cool to see all these different characters come together despite their differences and go on the offense against an enemy that's kind of inconceivable to them.. Even having played it before the big scene still stung though.