Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Digirat posted:

Defend the silly death guy to me. Defend him

also you can dress mr. evildeathdoom up as a mariachi, which kind of owns

I wish I wasn't immediately murdered by Widowmakers every time I even think about playing him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
The only reason I doubt Reaper being a joke is that this is Blizzard, who have written characters exactly like him fully seriously before (Kerrigan and Arthas, for example).

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'd say TF2 has better writing than Overwatch but not better characters. Which is too say, they both have incredibly generic characters but that's kind of on purpose. The difference is TF2, at least after a good number of updates, had way more voice work. Lots of voice lines for tons of different situations and even unique voice lines for each character dominating another. You get a lot more of their personality coming out when they are specifically mocking each other. Overwatch has a few unique kill lines but it pales in comparison to all the ones TF2 had, so I hope it gets more.

It does have some good ones though. The pre-match exchanges can be pretty good and there's even some neat stuff that comes up in actual matches, like Roadhog and Junkrat giving each other poo poo when they see the other one get a kill.

Thoughtless posted:

The only reason I doubt Reaper being a joke is that this is Blizzard, who have written characters exactly like him fully seriously before (Kerrigan and Arthas, for example).

Reaper isn't a complete joke unfortunately. If you read his bio on the Overwatch site its absurdly cringey and the way he fits into the stupid overarching story is ridiculous.

But the story of Overwatch is complete trash anyways and barely matters in the actual game so just laugh at the dumb skull man after he fucks up his ult.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jun 6, 2016

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

junkrat says "why so serious?" when he kills reaper.

junkrat is the best character.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Haha, thanks for the avatar. I'm surprised I didn't get one a long time ago.

Also, I actually agree that Reaper is probably not supposed to be 100% serious in relation to the other characters, but it's still not a very funny joke. Or at the very least, it's one that gets old really fast, since he never really says anything witty or interesting, and the interactions he has with the rest of the cast aren't actually very funny either.

The comparison to the old classics, like Unreal Tournament, is kinda weird, since they weren't exactly trying to sell their cast of characters.

Kerrrrrrr posted:

junkrat says "why so serious?" when he kills reaper.

junkrat is the best character.
I think he says that to everyone. Isn't that just one of his random kill lines? Also, I've been running him for a couple of rounds today, and he's more fun than I gave him credit for at first.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

He's right though. Like the TF2 characters have an order of magnitude more lines they speak during game-play and they're good and characterful.

lazorexplosion fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jun 6, 2016

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I figured Tracers bad London accent was due to her voice actor being American, but it turns out Blizzard got an actual British voice actor... from the north of England :psyduck:

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Broken Cog posted:

Haha, thanks for the avatar. I'm surprised I didn't get one a long time ago.

Also, I actually agree that Reaper is probably not supposed to be 100% serious in relation to the other characters, but it's still not a very funny joke. Or at the very least, it's one that gets old really fast, since he never really says anything witty or interesting, and the interactions he has with the rest of the cast aren't actually very funny either.

The comparison to the old classics, like Unreal Tournament, is kinda weird, since they weren't exactly trying to sell their cast of characters.

I think he says that to everyone. Isn't that just one of his random kill lines? Also, I've been running him for a couple of rounds today, and he's more fun than I gave him credit for at first.

The comparison isn't "this game has good characters, like Unreal Tournament" it's "like a lot of things in Overwatch Reaper is inspired by classic design aesthetics, like Unreal Tournament".

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Junkrat says "why so serious" when killing reaper.

I love his kings row line where he forgets Road Hog's real name, who gets super annoyed with him.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

TheTatteredKing posted:

Junkrat says "why so serious" when killing reaper.

I love his kings row line where he forgets Road Hog's real name, who gets super annoyed with him.

But Roadhog's bio basically says there's nothing left of [old name] and only Roadhog remains.

edit: My immersion!

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I have a really hard time not spelling Roadhog with two g's,

Roadhogg

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

In both games the characters are just one-dimensional collections of one liners but in overwatch they really are incredibly generic almost across the board, and I've noticed some huge repetition in the lines only from having watched the game for a few hours, not even played it, while TF2 has a huge variety of lines. Admittedly that game has way fewer characters to work with so that was easier for them to do, but overwatch has such a ridiculous budget that they were able to make character trailers eight times as long as TF2's. Really colorful and nice looking art design on the characters, really boring and generic lines.

If death dude is meant to be a joke the problem is that he doesn't feel the slightest bit out of place next to all the other characters. If he's a joke then a good half of them would have to be jokes too, at which point it's just an excuse and not actual self awareness.

Soothing Vapors posted:

also you can dress mr. evildeathdoom up as a mariachi, which kind of owns

This is pretty quality right here

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Roade Hogge

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Digirat posted:

In both games the characters are just one-dimensional collections of one liners but in overwatch they really are incredibly generic almost across the board, and I've noticed some huge repetition in the lines only from having watched the game for a few hours, not even played it, while TF2 has a huge variety of lines. Admittedly that game has way fewer characters to work with so that was easier for them to do, but overwatch has such a ridiculous budget that they were able to make character trailers eight times as long as TF2's. Really colorful and nice looking art design on the characters, really boring and generic lines.

If death dude is meant to be a joke the problem is that he doesn't feel the slightest bit out of place next to all the other characters. If he's a joke then a good half of them would have to be jokes too, at which point it's just an excuse and not actual self awareness.

TF2 has a huge variety of lines because they had over eight years to add them all in.

Also yes all the characters are jokes two of them exist explicitly as a Mad Max reference and one is a professional StarCraft player that is also a hot Korean chick are we playing the same game?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Also tf2 doesn't have to pay 21+ separate people for lines.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Broken Cog posted:

It'd be more obvious that it was supposed to be a joke if he had a single self-aware line.

Edit: Also, seconding that the characters really are pretty garbage compared to Team Fortress

Haha what

Are you talking about Reaper? Who literally has the line "I'm not a psychopath... I'm a high functioning psychopath"

TF2 is dead and I hope no one goes to the Heavy's funeral

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Here's an easy way to settle this; compare the quality of the TF2 shorts to the Overwatch ones.

One is funny and the other is...yeah.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

TheTatteredKing posted:

Also tf2 doesn't have to pay 21+ separate people for lines.

Also also five of them were already working/had worked on other Valve projects anyway.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
Who the gently caress cares ima jump down on all you shitposters and press Q

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Serious game complaint: I hate all of Roadhog's legendary skins but I am forced into using them because Roadhog's default gun is so, so loving ugly and dumb looking

Digirat posted:

Yeah honestly I don't disagree with the criticism that the characterization in this game is weak tea

I wish there were more interactions and stuff, and specifically more lines like Tracer and McRee making GBS threads on Reaper. Honestly everyone should make fun of him when he dies, or when he doesn't die, or when he ults, or when he throws his stupid guns away

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Internet Kraken posted:

Here's an easy way to settle this; compare the quality of the TF2 shorts to the Overwatch ones.

One is funny and the other is...yeah.

both are amazing

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Soothing Vapors posted:

Serious game complaint: I hate all of Roadhog's legendary skins but I am forced into using them because Roadhog's default gun is so, so loving ugly and dumb looking

Yeah honestly I don't disagree with the criticism that the characterization in this game is weak tea

I wish there were more interactions and stuff, and specifically more lines like Tracer and McRee making GBS threads on Reaper. Honestly everyone should make fun of him when he dies, or when he doesn't die, or when he ults, or when he throws his stupid guns away

I don't know how you can't enjoy Sharkboy.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I mentioned this in the whining thread as just a thought, but the more I think about it the more I like it. I was wondering how to make a healing class that pubbies would actually play. How about making an offensive healer that heals by dealing damage? Sort of like a Warrior Priest from Warhammer but with guns. Maybe he's in the Zarya/Roadhog class of offensive tank but instead of a damaging ult his/her ult is a huge fuckoff AOE heal.

Or he's an Omnic with a vacuum gun, like a reverse pyro with a cone weapon that drains HP from enemies and pumps it back out to heal allies in an aura around him, and one of his cooldowns is to suck them up into the gun like Roadhog's hook and drain a shitload of life from them.

Or he's a literal techno-vampire, and he puts a 'Mark of the Vampire' on an ally and then any damage he does heals the person with the mark.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jun 6, 2016

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Imagined posted:

I mentioned this in the whining thread as just a thought, but the more I think about it the more I like it. I was wondering how to make a healing class that pubbies would actually play. How about making an offensive healer that heals by dealing damage? Sort of like a Warrior Priest from Warhammer but with guns. Maybe he's in the Zarya/Roadhog class of offensive tank but instead of a damaging ult his/her ult is a huge fuckoff AOE heal.

Or he's an Omnic with a vacuum gun, like a reverse pyro with a cone weapon that drains HP from enemies and pumps it back out to heal allies in an aura around him.

Or he's a literal techno-vampire, and he puts a 'Mark of the Vampire' on an ally and then any damage he does heals the person with the mark.

Pubbies will never play healing classes, it's just an ingrained part of Gamer Culture (especially since they explicitly named them "support", the death kiss for any character you expect to be played at all).

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Lady Naga posted:

Pubbies will never play healing classes, it's just an ingrained part of Gamer Culture (especially since they explicitly named them "support", the death kiss for any character you expect to be played at all).

But they've already demonstrated with Soldier 76 that not every character with the capability of healing the team has to be in the "Support" class.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Make a healing sniper that has to sit back and snipe his/her own teammates.

Edit: Some kind of healer using turrets could also be kinda neat. Think dispensers from TF2, but kinda like Symmetra turrets instead or something.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Lady Naga posted:

rename the support class to carry

this also has the bonus of driving moba-players crazy

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Soothing Vapors posted:

Some one should have the line "nothing personnel...kid" after killing Reaper :laugh:

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

Also I already polled Nehru but hey Minorkos you're the resident genji pro how do you deal with pharahs?

Minrad posted:

the same way you do with hanzo, you get good at aiming or you swap

pretty much that. pharah is pretty hard to kill but she will also have a hard time killing you due to your good mobility. i typically leave her for allies to deal with and work on other targets. but it's somewhat easy to hit her if she starts floating in place. you can also dash close to her in the air and take her out in an aerial melee

if it's a pharah that's being pocketed by a mercy then you're better off just running if you can't kill the mercy

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Imagined posted:

But they've already demonstrated with Soldier 76 that not every character with the capability of healing the team has to be in the "Support" class.

You said "healing class" not "class that also has a heal", 76 is not a healing class and if you pick him primarily for his ability to heal others instead of a nice bonus then I am so very sorry for your team.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

Make a healing sniper that has to sit back and snipe his/her own teammates.

Edit: Some kind of healer using turrets could also be kinda neat. Think dispensers from TF2, but kinda like Symmetra turrets instead or something.

A healing sniper would actually be hella fun. Sit at the backlines and fire medicine darts into their skulls.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Lady Naga posted:

You said "healing class" not "class that also has a heal", 76 is not a healing class and if you pick him primarily for his ability to heal others instead of a nice bonus then I am so very sorry for your team.

No, but anything that can trick idiots into even accidentally helping the rest of their team is a Good Thing imho.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
They shoudl add a hero that casts spells.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Lady Naga posted:

Reaper already has literal magic.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

lazorexplosion posted:

He's right though. Like the TF2 characters have an order of magnitude more lines they speak during game-play and they're good and characterful.

The "all lines" video for junkrat is longer than the "all lines" video for scout :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g80yrGbijcA

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Lady Naga posted:

it'd be cool if there was like a wizard hero that has no real way to attack, but he could cast a multitude of spells like lightning bolts and poison clouds

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Hashy posted:

The "all lines" video for junkrat is longer than the "all lines" video for scout :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g80yrGbijcA

That's an old video, there's about twice as much now, although a lot of it is related to the various Halloween events.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
If they release a healer sniper they better have a plan for how to stop people picking it to just snipe and not actually heal.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Fans posted:

If they release a healer sniper they better have a plan for how to stop people picking it to just snipe and not actually heal.

The bullets do no damage to enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

A primary healer that takes twitch skill to play and can somehow gently caress with enemies is my dream addition to this game