Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I don't drive

But once I was crossing the street and these five assholes in a lovely old Toyota started honking at me and calling me a human being really loudly and with sincere anger even though the light was clearly red. Like, there was nothing to even debate but I had to just walk on and take the abuse because I didn't particularly feel like getting my rear end kicked for crossing the street at a green light.

Then once I'd crossed they mashed the gas pedal trying to run the red light and the engine went 'pop' super loud and they just stopped in the middle of the intersection with no recourse. This was in the middle of the day, too, so now it was their turn to be honked at and called faggots.

And that's my honking story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The best part of this thread is people getting upset about people expecting them to drive properly.

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

The best part of this thread is people getting upset about people expecting them to drive properly.

Yeah I really can't wait until most of the people on the road are in self driving cars that can pay attention and make routine decisions for them.

Prude
Nov 28, 2010

by Reene
So what the gently caress, from a planning perspective, is the benefit of not installing a left light + left hand turn phase at an intersection? Slightly more time for people going straight? Seems like a fair gain (and marginal at that if it's sensor-based) only in places where turning left would be highly uncommon, otherwise it seems dangerous and likely to cause confusion + anger (when the turn line piles up) in some drivers (eg me). I guess I don't drive in other cities much and for once I'm sort of grateful for the roads around here.

Also really if Americans could figure out loving roundabouts most of the poo poo in this thread would be moot.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
It's called a traffic circle because it's shaped like a circle and hosts traffic. This is America.

Prude
Nov 28, 2010

by Reene

Chief McHeath posted:

It's called a traffic circle because it's shaped like a circle and hosts traffic. This is America.

um, actually, google images has informed me they are different things

as an american myself though if we're choosing one or the other as a catch all term, roundabout is a cooler, more fun word to use

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Tdu4uKSZ3M

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Dogmeat posted:

http://bc-injury-law.com/blog/left-hand-turn-red-faultless-intersection-crash

You're supposed to pull into the intersection and wait and if some clown runs the red light and hits you they're 100% at fault.

Hey you stupid dummy, in many states there's no such thing as '100% fault'. Your car can be parked in your driveway without you even being home, a dude can drive his shitmobile into it right off the road, and you're still partially liable.
I'm not making this up.

bar88537
Nov 8, 2004

Real question that I need goon advice on. There's an intersection on my commute where the light will never change green unless it's tripped, and the sensor for the trip is much closer to the intersection than you'd expect. About twice a month, someone sits at the intersection too far back and the light never changes. How do I communicate to them that they need to inch forward a bit?

Honking doesn't work cause they think I want them to run the red but I can't think of anything else useful. The situation usually resolves after like 5 min when the person decides to turn right which changes the light for me to go forward.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

bar88537 posted:

Real question that I need goon advice on. There's an intersection on my commute where the light will never change green unless it's tripped, and the sensor for the trip is much closer to the intersection than you'd expect. About twice a month, someone sits at the intersection too far back and the light never changes. How do I communicate to them that they need to inch forward a bit?

Honking doesn't work cause they think I want them to run the red but I can't think of anything else useful. The situation usually resolves after like 5 min when the person decides to turn right which changes the light for me to go forward.
ram 'em

Prude
Nov 28, 2010

by Reene

bar88537 posted:

construct a large but maybe foldable gaudy sign you can hold out your window with bold text like "pull forward to trip sensor" and some glitter and colors and stuff and just keep it in yer back seat for when ya need it

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
make sure to do mirror writing or theyll think your crazy

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Prude posted:

So what the gently caress, from a planning perspective, is the benefit of not installing a left light + left hand turn phase at an intersection? Slightly more time for people going straight? Seems like a fair gain (and marginal at that if it's sensor-based) only in places where turning left would be highly uncommon, otherwise it seems dangerous and likely to cause confusion + anger (when the turn line piles up) in some drivers (eg me). I guess I don't drive in other cities much and for once I'm sort of grateful for the roads around here.

Also really if Americans could figure out loving roundabouts most of the poo poo in this thread would be moot.

Lack of budget and space (without buying chunks private property or using eminent domain) for additional lanes. Most lanes in Missouri are already narrow and half the time there's not even a shoulder on highways. Also regular cut across intersections on highways, where you can turn around or get off on some bumfuck country road while people drive at you at 75 mph.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

bar88537 posted:

shoot them with your gun

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
People usually don't pull out into the intersections on a yield/green left turn in Denver either. It must have something to do with 50% of drivers being stoned and the weird angled lines they put into intersections here that literally instruct you to start angling into oncoming traffic if you're making a left turn.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

bar88537 posted:

Double tap honk then when they look in the mirror make a pushing motion. If that doesn't work then it's actual honking time just to make them mad.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Prude posted:

So what the gently caress, from a planning perspective, is the benefit of not installing a left light + left hand turn phase at an intersection?

-cheaper
-not necessary if people drive right, apart from pantwaisted faggots who can't handle this earth, but gently caress them
-you don't have to wait for the red arrow to go green meaning 95% of the time you have to wait less at the intersection
-no turn lane means you don't have to gently caress up the bike lane or parking or whatever if space is tight

You only need a turn light when the volume of traffic turning left is bad enough that the turn lane (or left lane) fills up to a degree that it interferes with traffic going straight in the same direction.

raton fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 5, 2016

Serious Party Gods
Apr 2, 2009

Vince MechMahon posted:

I drive for a living and can confirm this is also true in Minneapolis.

Creeping into intersections on a solid green / waiting for left was actually OUTLAWED in MN some 5 years back.

"Previous law allowed drivers to move into a “box” at the intersection as they waited to make a left turn in heavy traffic.
In fact, the Minnesota State Patrol had encouraged the public to do that very thing, said Kathy Pederson, a public information officer for the Minnesota State Patrol.

According to the new law, it is now against the law to enter an intersection controlled by a traffic light unless a driver can get all the way through without stopping.
The new law allows law enforcement to ticket drivers at intersections that get blocked by cars creating gridlock by being in the middle of an intersection. The traffic law, which is being applied across the state, is an effort to address more of the larger metro area communities where traffic counts are higher."

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Lesbian Bed Death posted:

Creeping into intersections on a solid green / waiting for left was actually OUTLAWED in MN some 5 years back.

"Previous law allowed drivers to move into a “box” at the intersection as they waited to make a left turn in heavy traffic.
In fact, the Minnesota State Patrol had encouraged the public to do that very thing, said Kathy Pederson, a public information officer for the Minnesota State Patrol.

According to the new law, it is now against the law to enter an intersection controlled by a traffic light unless a driver can get all the way through without stopping.
The new law allows law enforcement to ticket drivers at intersections that get blocked by cars creating gridlock by being in the middle of an intersection. The traffic law, which is being applied across the state, is an effort to address more of the larger metro area communities where traffic counts are higher."

Sounds like they were trying to make a way to punish assholes who block the intersection going straight and screwed over people turning left by accident because lawmakers are largely morons.

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

bar88537 posted:

Some traffic lights have a sensor on them that tries to identify flashing lights from emergency vehicles, so a high powered flashlight that you pulse at it can turn it green if you're desperate. You could get a ticket if a cop sees you doing it, though. I really wish people would learn what the loving road sensors look like. It's very obvious if you're :siren: paying attention while driving :siren:. It's really annoying at train crossings because some timid fucks stop waaaaay back.

E: If it's got this thing:

Then you can rig up a little transmitter that emergency vehicles have to trip the light but I think that's a felony in federal court if you get caught now.

Big Beef City posted:

Hey you stupid dummy, in many states there's no such thing as '100% fault'. Your car can be parked in your driveway without you even being home, a dude can drive his shitmobile into it right off the road, and you're still partially liable.
I'm not making this up.

I know there are different fault thresholds in many different states but unless you can provide an example of what you describe actually happening, I'm going to continue to think you're full of poo poo. Some states wont allow you to collect damages if you're even 1% at fault, some allow the other party to collect damages even if they're 99% at fault (typically reduced by whatever factor they were at fault), but as far as I know there isn't a state that would in any way claim you were partially responsible for a dude driving onto your property and hitting a parked car because that's loving dumb as all hell.

Dogmeat fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 5, 2016

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Prude posted:

I know everywhere I have lived, its been clear that the streets like that were designed with a certain traffic load in mind, and when the city grew it was impossible to expand the streets without destroying every business/home that is on it for the entire length of the road. You can frequently see places where the lanes are really tight, and the road was already expanded once to add the extra lane, destroying the median(if there was one) and any pedestrian routes along the road.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Lesbian Bed Death posted:

lol we just solved this by painting a literal box in busy junctions which you cant enter if you would be blocked by traffic seems much simpler

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Cthulu Carl posted:

Sounds like they were trying to make a way to punish assholes who block the intersection going straight and screwed over people turning left by accident because lawmakers are largely morons.

Came to post this.
My dad and I visited his Ohio hometown a few years back. It never even occurred to people to not block the intersection until they could clear it. We were laughing at how badly this impeded rush hour traffic: guy blocks entire intersection for whole light, traffic finally moves... Three cars come perpendicularly and do the EXACT SAME BLOCKInG that they had just been impeded by

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

XMNN posted:

lol we just solved this by painting a literal box in busy junctions which you cant enter if you would be blocked by traffic seems much simpler

Idgi

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Who are they blocking the intersection for? If traffic is currently heading north-south on a green light and both left and right turns are legal and we assume it's one lane, the people behind anyone in the intersection attempting to turn left wouldn't have been getting past that car until it turned left anyway.

Once the lights go red for the direction that had been going, at least around here, there's a quick beat where all the lights are red and someone in the intersection waiting to turn left has time to clear before the light turns green for cross traffic. The reason for idling in the intersection is because it allows more opportunities to turn left and get the gently caress out of peoples' way so everyone can enjoy the terrible urban planning along with you. A lot of the intersections without dedicated left turn lanes and signaled, protected turns in my town, you can squeeze one to three left turns into a light cycle, not counting the gimmie once everyone stops and the holdouts clear the intersection. Maybe it's madness, but we all seem to be used to it.

San Fransisco is great. Just no left turns, ever, from memory. Though that was ten years ago so who knows what the techy shitlords have done around there.

Anyway, yeah, honking in the Midwest is either a sign of near collision or actual collision (you hear a horn followed by crunching if a wreck happens nearby), sometimes, often in small towns and older neighborhoods, a honk can be used at low speeds on uncrowned streets as a casual greeting/attention grabber for pedestrians, or it's a pretty good indicator that you're an out of state rear end in a top hat who needs to chill the gently caress out.

Prude
Nov 28, 2010

by Reene

Sheep-Goats posted:

-cheaper
-not necessary if people drive right, apart from pantwaisted faggots who can't handle this earth, but gently caress them
-you don't have to wait for the red arrow to go green meaning 95% of the time you have to wait less at the intersection
-no turn lane means you don't have to gently caress up the bike lane or parking or whatever if space is tight

You only need a turn light when the volume of traffic turning left is bad enough that the turn lane (or left lane) fills up to a degree that it interferes with traffic going straight in the same direction.

yeah so all the reasons people gave confirmed this is much more of a thing in poor shithole flyover towns with no real civil planning and no real traffic to speak of, so basically if you ever have to enter an intersection on red to turn left it doesn't matter if someone hits you, you're basically already dead anyways

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty

RFC2324 posted:

I know everywhere I have lived, its been clear that the streets like that were designed with a certain traffic load in mind, and when the city grew it was impossible to expand the streets without destroying every business/home that is on it for the entire length of the road. You can frequently see places where the lanes are really tight, and the road was already expanded once to add the extra lane, destroying the median(if there was one) and any pedestrian routes along the road.

I think he's talking about a brief legally designated "new york left" period on streets with no dedicated left hand turn lane. It would probably be fine but Im sure it would backfire because this is america and people would probably attack the lights with guns

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Pvt.Scott posted:

Who are they blocking the intersection for? If traffic is currently heading north-south on a green light and both left and right turns are legal and we assume it's one lane, the people behind anyone in the intersection attempting to turn left wouldn't have been getting past that car until it turned left anyway.

Once the lights go red for the direction that had been going, at least around here, there's a quick beat where all the lights are red and someone in the intersection waiting to turn left has time to clear before the light turns green for cross traffic. The reason for idling in the intersection is because it allows more opportunities to turn left and get the gently caress out of peoples' way so everyone can enjoy the terrible urban planning along with you. A lot of the intersections without dedicated left turn lanes and signaled, protected turns in my town, you can squeeze one to three left turns into a light cycle, not counting the gimmie once everyone stops and the holdouts clear the intersection. Maybe it's madness, but we all seem to be used to it.

San Fransisco is great. Just no left turns, ever, from memory. Though that was ten years ago so who knows what the techy shitlords have done around there.

Anyway, yeah, honking in the Midwest is either a sign of near collision or actual collision (you hear a horn followed by crunching if a wreck happens nearby), sometimes, often in small towns and older neighborhoods, a honk can be used at low speeds on uncrowned streets as a casual greeting/attention grabber for pedestrians, or it's a pretty good indicator that you're an out of state rear end in a top hat who needs to chill the gently caress out.

People will pull their cars into the intersection as the light goes yellow even though the traffic ahead is backed all the way back to the intersection and not moving. They are hoping/expecting that traffic to move before the lights cycle and cross traffic gets going (so like in literally two seconds). This blocks the intersection completely for cross traffic, then a block back the people on that street fill the intersection and block it for cross traffic on that block. This is how actual traffic jams form -- not just "oh the traffic is slow" but literally no vehicular motion as the lights cycle over and over.

I'm some large cities they paint trouble intersections with white crisscross diamonds and put a sign saying "don't block the box, $XXX fine." People still do it unless a cop is around though.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Drunk Nerds posted:

Came to post this.
My dad and I visited his Ohio hometown a few years back. It never even occurred to people to not block the intersection until they could clear it. We were laughing at how badly this impeded rush hour traffic: guy blocks entire intersection for whole light, traffic finally moves... Three cars come perpendicularly and do the EXACT SAME BLOCKInG that they had just been impeded by

this is usually solved by a cops busting some skulls for like a month and after that everyone gets the idea and doesn't block the intersection

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
every morning before i get on i-5 for my commute i put on my kamikaze headband and say a quiet prayer to my ancestors

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Prude posted:

yeah so all the reasons people gave confirmed this is much more of a thing in poor shithole flyover towns with no real civil planning and no real traffic to speak of, so basically if you ever have to enter an intersection on red to turn left it doesn't matter if someone hits you, you're basically already dead anyways

I currently live in a major metro, and we have this problem. It's not just flyover shitholes.

dk2m
May 6, 2009
American drivers are this weird combination of oblivious and extremely perceptive. if there's even the slightest iota of a driving mistake (i.e. the namesake of this poo poo thread), they turn into a human BMV handbook but on the other hand, they prefer to be as isolated from actually driving as much as possible by sitting in huge loving trucks and zoning the gently caress out.

chill out, drive a car that is not a hulking behemoth and realize that everyone makes mistakes and just roll with it. dang

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

dk2m posted:

American drivers are this weird combination of oblivious and extremely perceptive. if there's even the slightest iota of a driving mistake (i.e. the namesake of this poo poo thread), they turn into a human BMV handbook but on the other hand, they prefer to be as isolated from actually driving as much as possible by sitting in huge loving trucks and zoning the gently caress out.

chill out, drive a car that is not a hulking behemoth and realize that everyone makes mistakes and just roll with it. dang

I drive a little sports car, and still flip out at people driving like idiots. I'm frequently glad I'm one of the few people in this state who DOESN'T have a gun in his glove box.

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
I drive a dumbass 91 accord because I hate cars and just want to get places. My only regret is I cant see over all the other tall rear end cars but thats the price u pay for gas mileage i guess!!

Prude
Nov 28, 2010

by Reene
i feel like the love of ugly rear end trucks and SUVs and also lights that are like 1billion lumens are both kind of selfish and lovely and i nonironically await the day we all commute in standardized self driving, electric, TINY vehicles so even if somehow there was a collision, the total forces at play are way less serious and also the forced homogeneity eliminates the problem of lil' microdicks in their lifted trucks (w/ truck nuts) drunk driving after their latest domestic abuse binge and taking out some innocent person in their actual human sedan due to size disparity

basically anything about individuality or pride or weird macho bullshit on the road is loving gay as hell and toxic and bad for society and if the "joy of driving" must go away to put morons in their place, i'm glad of it

e; it's okay if the advanced driving AIs we eventually come to rely upon still don't give a poo poo about cyclists though

Prude fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jun 6, 2016

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
One time I was driving my bros back from lunch and we saw a car full of middle aged ladies returning to work from their lunch break.

We had come to a lull in our conversation and the car was quiet so I said, "Hey want to see something awesome?" and then I honked at the other car when they slowed briefly to make a right turn. Obviously all four chicks turned around and started yapping and clucking.

We lolled for a while. At least it gave them something to talk about for the next few months.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I don't get people talking about one-lane roads and turn lights. With the exception of mayb San Francisco, which as mentioned rarely allows left turns in busy areas, if you only have one lane in each direction, there's not enough traffic to warrant a turn light.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Dave_Indeed posted:

One time I was driving my bros back from lunch and we saw a car full of middle aged ladies returning to work from their lunch break.

We had come to a lull in our conversation and the car was quiet so I said, "Hey want to see something awesome?" and then I honked at the other car when they slowed briefly to make a right turn. Obviously all four chicks turned around and started yapping and clucking.

We lolled for a while. At least it gave them something to talk about for the next few months.

One day I was hanging out in in downtown SF. I was on a streetcorner, and a bus takes the corner too tight. Streets in SF are super tight. The bus back whee hops the curb for about five feet, then gets back on the road as normal. Totally boring stuff. Lady next to me whips out her cell phone and in an excited southern drawl says "You will NAHT BEIEVE WHAT I JUST SAW," then details the whole thing like it's interesting.

It's like, lady, this is downtown SF. You can't go a block without seeing some naked junkie fighting a cop, this might be too interesting a place for you to handle.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 6, 2016

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Dave_Indeed posted:

A true American hero!

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Lights should honk and cars should turn green when moving. Up vote if you agree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
I ran a red light last night for the first time. It was at the top of a hill of a road I had never driven. I was staring straight ahead and not on my phone, I have no explanation, no excuse. It simply did not register in my head to stop.Thankfully there were no cars in the intersection, as it was late at night.

• Locked thread