Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
So I guess this makes Kit a U-Haul lesbian? :v:

Or, wait, no Poppy was the one who referenced two dates. Kit is a level even beyond a U-Haul lesbian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Male Man posted:

I expect an extended dating arc heavily spiced with Sitcom Problems.

If the date scenes are anything like the fight scenes, they will be swift and brutal. Kit only looks like a lightweight.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
Oh nooooo http://bunnymeat.webcomic.ws/comics/36
In this adventure, Usa meets a lovely gym teacher.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
My elementary school gym teacher was so old that she'd also taught P.E. to our middle-aged principal. She had a name out of a loving sitcom - Mrs. Fiesler (pronounced fees-lurr) - and was exactly as senile and mean as you'd imagine.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 5, 2016

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Renaissance Robot posted:

I seriously can't tell if Kit's asking Poppy to marry her or if she's all "hey let's go find a couple dudes somewhere and get double married, that sounds like fun".

Either way is hilarious.

e/ actually no scratch that I just noticed the brain cogs in the previous panel which kind of make it an obvious option one. Regardless, I'm going to imagine an AU where Poppy and Kit embark on an epic quest to Get Hitched and like, go to furry Vegas or something. With really big butterfly nets, to catch spouses with.

I'm guessing that the plan is twofold:

1) Enthrone Poppy, so she'll be in charge of running the kingdom and Kit can concentrate fully on her research without having to worry about the little things anymore
2) Ensure that Lily will have a family and future after Poppy finally gives out from her heart condition.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

S'funny, after you linked Poppy's most recent strip I wound up reading 3/4 of it in reverse order. The conclusion I came to is that, had I read it in the proper order, I probably would have gotten about halfway through, stopped and just lost track of it the way I've done with so many other webcomics.

Not to say that the early strip was bad, but to see the improvements, and the payoff to bits that were hinted at before made me more confident in the story to come. You know, now that I have to read it in linear time like the rest of the peons, and all. :v:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Captain Bravo posted:

I'm guessing that the plan is twofold:

1) Enthrone Poppy, so she'll be in charge of running the kingdom and Kit can concentrate fully on her research without having to worry about the little things anymore
2) Ensure that Lily will have a family and future after Poppy finally gives out from her heart condition.

I'm not sure I'm convinced that there is a plan right now. Kit's had an emotional rollercoaster of a day.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Yeah I'm pretty sure she just has a crush on Poppy, as has been implied for a long while now. And is realizing that without a husband in Poppy's life - which she assumed she had, since she has a kid - she can act on it.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The shared a pretty tender moment in that last scene. I'd be surprised if Kit's motivation is anything but romantic. Poppy seems pretty into it too.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Tenebrais posted:

The shared a pretty tender moment in that last scene. I'd be surprised if Kit's motivation is anything but romantic. Poppy seems pretty into it too.

I thought Poppy was just kind of rolling along with things, considering, you know, the stairs, having to carry the queen to the infirmary, everything else that's happened today...

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Captain Bravo posted:

There is no way in hell the rest of the kingdom would allow a possum on the throne.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

neogeo0823 posted:

I thought Poppy was just kind of rolling along with things, considering, you know, the stairs, having to carry the queen to the infirmary, everything else that's happened today...

Between her original reaction to Kit calling her beautiful, her protective reaction to Kit's huge rear end in a top hat aunt, and various character moments like this one

http://www.poppy-opossum.com/comic/poppy-6-page-5/

I'd say an argument could be made that the feeling is mostly mutual.

World Famous W posted:

There is no way in hell the rest of the kingdom would allow a possum on the throne.

Agreed. There's no way this isn't going to cause a bunch of complications that oscillate wildly between hilarious and depressing.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Poppy's being a good friend and trying to help fill in some gaping emotional holes that Kit has, and she is currently rolling with an embarrassing situation with extreme grace, but she hasn't really shown any desire to date anyone as she wants to concentrate on raising Lily with what little life she has left, and I saw her feelings towards Kit as more of a motherly friendship from someone who really likes to help people out than a blossoming romance.

I can totally see Kit genuinely asking her out, but that's not how I read Poppy's point of view at all.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Also, given that possum lifespan is established as 'frighteningly short', it kind of makes sense that her expectations for dating before marriage are really brief. I mean, it's not guaranteed that Poppy's actually into Kit, but I can see it going either way, really.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Poppy's being a good friend and trying to help fill in some gaping emotional holes that Kit has, and she is currently rolling with an embarrassing situation with extreme grace, but she hasn't really shown any desire to date anyone as she wants to concentrate on raising Lily with what little life she has left, and I saw her feelings towards Kit as more of a motherly friendship from someone who really likes to help people out than a blossoming romance.

I can totally see Kit genuinely asking her out, but that's not how I read Poppy's point of view at all.

This is entirely possibly true. Personally, I just read it as Poppy's default state of being semi-guarded. Recall her conversation with Kit about so called benevolent rulers establishing amnesty, then going on possum lynching sprees once people take the bait.

If you'd been through that, and all the other bullshit she puts up with as a dehumanized minority, it'd be hard not to be sort of reflexively distant.

Edit: But on the third hand, reading the last three panels again doesn't really read as "rolling with an embarrassing situation with extreme grace". It reads like engaging with the proposition completely straight faced, especially the sudden reconsideration "because two dates minimum :smugdog:". Lord of Hats might be closer to on the money.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 6, 2016

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Captain Oblivious posted:

This is entirely possibly true. Personally, I just read it as Poppy's default state of being semi-guarded. Recall her conversation with Kit about so called benevolent rulers establishing amnesty, then going on possum lynching sprees once people take the bait.

If you'd been through that, and all the other bullshit she puts up with as a dehumanized minority, it'd be hard not to be sort of reflexively distant.

Edit: But on the gripping hand, reading the last three panels again doesn't really read as "rolling with an embarrassing situation with extreme grace". It reads like engaging with the proposition completely straight faced, especially the sudden reconsideration "because two dates minimum :smugdog:". Lord of Hats might be closer to on the money.

ftfy fellow moti.

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND
I think it's worth pointing out that Poppy assumes a very real possibility of just up and dying at any point within the next six years, so finding someone who is personally invested in looking after Lily "just in case" is an understandable priority for her.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Morbi posted:

I think it's worth pointing out that Poppy assumes a very real possibility of just up and dying at any point within the next six years, so finding someone who is personally invested in looking after Lily "just in case" is an understandable priority for her.

Out of idle curiosity, how much of that is the heart condition and how much is "being a possum"? Her life expectancy, I mean.

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND

Captain Oblivious posted:

Out of idle curiosity, how much of that is the heart condition and how much is "being a possum"? Her life expectancy, I mean.

It's the heart condition. Being an opossum caps her out at 30 or so, her further heart issues are what potentially drops it below that.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

I noticed that Poppy's patreon was $1 below the goal so I have pledged a dollar (per page)

Poppy is good

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Yeah, that fluorescent blush in panel seven is toootally "motherly" and "not actually into Kit."

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
How do they blush through the fur?

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Pavlov posted:

blushing is a very important part of any yuri

don't try to tell me that poppy is not a yuri because i will not believe you

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Pavlov posted:

It's logically impossible but communicates moods to the reader. Or at least that's how I respond to it :shrug:

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Pavlov posted:

Magic, probably.

OK, so I binged Poppy and Steven Universe in a two week span. Is there any other super gay, super great genre stuff I should be paying attention to?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Wittgen posted:

Magic, probably.

OK, so I binged Poppy and Steven Universe in a two week span. Is there any other super gay, super great genre stuff I should be paying attention to?

Lady of the Shard seems like the next logical step.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Carrasco posted:

Lady of the Shard seems like the next logical step.

Thank you for the rec, but I already read that. It was great.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Wittgen posted:

Magic, probably.

Uh I'm pretty sure poppy is immune to magic. Didn't you even read the comic?

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Wittgen posted:

Magic, probably.

Band vs Band by Kathleen Jacques is candy-coated lesbian heroin.

EDIT: I mean, if you're looking for high stakes and dramatic crying, BVB ain't your ballpark. The conflict is basically "Two bands are local rivals, but the lead singers are extremely hate-hot for each other and won't admit it to themselves, and the internet doesn't exists so they can't even vent about their sexual repression through vague tweets."

There IS a lot of singing, however.

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jun 6, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Wittgen posted:

Magic, probably.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND
Anything is super gay if you squint hard enough

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Morbi posted:

Anything is super gay if you squint hard enough

Edit: Holy poo poo, Morbi has been setting this up for over two years. :aaaaa:

Captain Bravo fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jun 6, 2016

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The old April Fools Double Gambit, where the prank is that the stuff that is obviously too ridiculous to be real is actually true. I'm just waiting for the reveal that Petunia had been a fish in disguise all this time, which IMO shouldn't be long now.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Friedrich's looking pretty fed up in that 6th panel on the latest page. Almost fed up enough to strike, hmm?

:getin:

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND
That first April Fools page actually does have at least one particularly nasty trick left that I imagine is going to make everyone lose their goddamn minds when we finally get to it.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Oh no Lily's going to get shot again :(

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Morbi posted:

That first April Fools page actually does have at least one particularly nasty trick left that I imagine is going to make everyone lose their goddamn minds when we finally get to it.

Oh poo poo, Lily's adopted, isn't she?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Poppy would have given anything to be a mom. Also possums have litters, as we have seen every time another possum family has been shown.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Wittgen posted:

Poppy would have given anything to be a mom. Also possums have litters, as we have seen every time another possum family has been shown.

In retrospect this seems blindingly obvious. :ughh:

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jun 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Not to mention, this page.

• Locked thread