Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
My oldest pair of AEs are turning 10 this year (lots of soles in between mind you) and they still look pretty decent, so yeah, a good investment. I wear that pair generally at least once a week (though I have a dozen pairs of AEs), so it isn't like they've been sitting on a shielf.

That said, never wear leather dress shoes two days in a row and use shoe trees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Watching The Warriors.

I really wish my wife liked cult movies :v: outside of Rocky horror she couldn't give a poo poo less.

Oh well, this movie is still awesome.

Also, anyone else watch Moto3/MotoGP today?

GopherFlats
Mar 16, 2011
I don't know if this is the right thread for this but 3 people died this weekend at the Baja 500. One was an 8 year old kid getting hit by a truck and the other two were racers. It's super lovely and I wish they were more proactive about spectator safety in Mexico

http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/three-deaths-confirmed-at-2016-baja-500-include-8-year-1780670922

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

iwentdoodie posted:

Also, anyone else watch Moto3/MotoGP today?

I watched the MotoGP race and it convinced me that I have to watch it on a regular basis going forward.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

1500quidporsche posted:

I watched the MotoGP race and it convinced me that I have to watch it on a regular basis going forward.

Yes, you should. But also catch Moto3, because it's even better.

Moto3 is slow as gently caress, but consistently has the best races. At mugello 1-15 was separated by 1.3 seconds with 3 laps left. At Catalunya 1-6 passed each other for first place every lap until the final.

And then you saw how loving bonkers Motogp was.

Best racing that currently exists, hands down.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

kimbo305 posted:

Do you guys recognize this?:

I didn't, and burned the poo poo out of my finger poking the tip. I guess it's an antenna for something?
Probably shouldn't be on an airport gate counter where someone could touch it.

That is definitely an antenna of some kind but it shouldn't get hot enough to burn you. Are you sure you didn't get an electric shock rather than get burned? RF burns suck rear end but there's not a lot you can do to avoid those if you need the power level.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Yeah that's likely an RF burn you got, no way was that thing hot. Sucks, but they really should move it to where people won't touch it if it's putting out that kind of power.

Goddamnit. Secure your loads motherfuckers, there was a bunch of busted up wood scattered across the highway (at least I think that's what it was - several cars nailed whatever the hell it was). Blew both passenger side tires, hosed up the side skirt, and scratched the poo poo out of the paint on the fender and door. :fuckoff:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

literally a fish posted:

That is definitely an antenna of some kind but it shouldn't get hot enough to burn you. Are you sure you didn't get an electric shock rather than get burned? RF burns suck rear end but there's not a lot you can do to avoid those if you need the power level.

I just got the typical white skin at the point of contact like a burn.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

literally a fish posted:

Gonna guess it's for the PA system.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Slung Blade posted:

Is it a job/ticket dispatcher?
Do they already have an OMS, ADMS, or scada system?

Sort of. Yes they have a control system but for security reasons I have to keep it at that. This would be a job/ticket dispatcher of sorts, but the inputs required to dispatch correctly are wide and varied and hellish.

Please don't figure out and then steal my idea :ohdear:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Adiabatic posted:

inputs required to dispatch correctly are wide and varied and hellish.

Software would be easy if it weren't for the drat users.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I have a really dumb question but I'm hoping AI can help me out with. I'm working on relocating my battery to the trunk in my car. Car is a 1998 Nissan 240sx. I want to route the cable under the car and followed along with what MotoIQ did here: http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/ID/1426/PageID/1743/The-Hows-and-Whys-of-Battery-Relocation.aspx From reading it seems like the best way to do this is on the frame rail opposite side of the fuel and brake lines using insulated hose clamps. Dumb question: How do folks usually attach these hose clamps to the frame rail? I don't have access to tighten a nut to a bolt from the other side as the frame rail is enclosed. Do people just drill a hole and run a bolt thru and the threads grabbing on to the metal of the frame rail enough to hold? I've thought about rivnuts but I've heard those can end up just spinning in the hole they're installed in?

Here's a pic of another 240's underside to get an idea of the situation. That person ran their battery cable thru the frame rail, but they've had to cut holes somewhere to get that cable in there as the frame rails are enclosed at both ends.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
Post a photo of your car

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

corn in the fridge posted:

Post a photo of your car

You first.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Noise Complaint posted:

Salt and pepper. Dry cast iron heated to approximately the temperature of the surface of the sun, sear on both sides for a couple minutes each, finish in oven.
This is the way I usually do it, always turns out great. Think we're grilling chicken this week but I'm going to have to pick up a steak as well.

Residency Evil posted:

Hypothetically, for a trip of about 2000 miles, would you:
1. Fly out and drive the car home
2. Ship the car
The car has bucket seats and is probably not what most people would call an ideal GT car.
I'm a huge fan of the fly-n-drive as long as you have a flexible schedule and are willing to fix things along the way. Dad and I drove the 77 320i from CA to WI then TN in 2010 and it was amazing even with poo poo breaking along the way.

blk posted:

I'm thinking of getting a cheap truck to help with some of my home DIY projects and misc hauling. Has anyone else done this, or do you just rent one when you need one? It's kind of a hassle to go to Home Depot or another rental place and wait in line, fill out the paperwork, fill up the truck, etc, especially since the location isn't convenient to me, but owning a beater truck probably isn't the most convenient either.

If you recommend buying, what's the best value out there? 4WD would be nice so I could use it as a snow beater, but even then, this truck would only see about 2 weeks use/year.
I bought the Courier for this as well as hauling the trials bike. It probably makes more sense to rent/borrow a truck and avoid insurance, maintenance, parking etc. Around here there's plenty of beater 90's 2wd trucks around the $1k mark.

Local BMW shop hosted their Spring Brodeo this weekend so I brought the 928. Here it is at one of our stops during the drive Saturday parked behind AI goon Party Alarm's E30. We were going to switch cars at some point but that never happened, maybe at the fall Brodeo. Any E30 owners (T-Square) reading this need to plan a trip to the Smoky Mountains this fall.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Adiabatic posted:

Sort of. Yes they have a control system but for security reasons I have to keep it at that. This would be a job/ticket dispatcher of sorts, but the inputs required to dispatch correctly are wide and varied and hellish.

Please don't figure out and then steal my idea :ohdear:

I'm so done with being part of a vendor and I only want to wish you luck man.

Yeah, trouble jobs, construction jobs, line patrol jobs, sevice outages to disconnect a meter for a customer, or back up again, emergency jobs when some dork slams into a pole and the EMTs are yelling to have someone come cut the power to the line that's sparking all around the burning husk of car... lots of poo poo to consider for dispatch applications.

Protip: make the data easy to get at by other apps, because they *will* want to do fucktons of reporting off of it, and real-time system monitoring too. So make it efficient.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

meatpimp posted:

You first.

I drive a lovely neglected clio it's not cool or interesting to look at!!!!!!!!! ''!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I drive a lovely neglected clio it's not cool or interesting to look at!!!!!!!!! ''!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Much like your posts but we still have to look at them.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

Goober Peas posted:

That's a mirror

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Goober Peas posted:

You don't have to if you use the ignore feature.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I took first place in PAX yesterday for the first time in ~6 years of casual autocross. :>

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Safety Dance posted:

You don't have to if you use the ignore feature.

The ignore button is for the weak.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

meatpimp posted:

TOTALLY NOT EMPTYQUOTING IN AIIIIIIIIIII

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Ugh, tropical storm hitting tonight right before lecture. Couldn't it have waited a few more hours?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

19 is already shut down due to flooding and I have to head to lakeland at 7am tomorrow for bullshit training for the job I've been doing for the last 6 months.

Edit: At least it'll be slow tonight.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jun 6, 2016

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Idk if you guys knew this but zdr disabled ignore so lol @ u over sensitive babies who can't just skip reading bad posts

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Some of you may be reading this post for the first time in three years!

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

meatpimp posted:

How are you getting along with the book of the month?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Did you mention what books you read? I must have missed that.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

El Jebus posted:

Did you mention what books you read? I must have missed that.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

sure, but some posters prefer to use this thread as their toilet

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

I'm actually gonna read this. From the blurb it sounds right up my alley.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Baby kept me up until 5am. Then I left for work at 7. Life sucks I hate everyone.

[edit] on the plus side, the sway bar end links for the Cobalt came in.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Apples poop?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Coredump posted:

I've thought about rivnuts but I've heard those can end up just spinning in the hole they're installed in?

If they're not installed properly or the fastener inside them corrodes and seizes, sure. But it shouldn't take a lot of torque to hold a clamp.

Otherwise, perhaps some speed nuts?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Don't be scared of rivnuts. Follow the instructions and do your prep and they'll be fine. Put thousands in whilst not giving a poo poo and they'll fail.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Can any of your fleet tow? I did the beater truck for a while with my Ranger but honestly I prefer having a Grand Cherokee that can tow, so I just rent Uhaul trailers when I need to move something too big for it. And the rest of the time, the WJ is far nicer to drive and more capable in just about every measure.

This. I just tow a Harbor Freight 4x8 trailer with my Crown Vic. If I need to haul more than 1500 pounds, I rent a truck.

Coredump posted:

I have a really dumb question but I'm hoping AI can help me out with. I'm working on relocating my battery to the trunk in my car. Car is a 1998 Nissan 240sx. I want to route the cable under the car and followed along with what MotoIQ did here: http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/ID/1426/PageID/1743/The-Hows-and-Whys-of-Battery-Relocation.aspx From reading it seems like the best way to do this is on the frame rail opposite side of the fuel and brake lines using insulated hose clamps. Dumb question: How do folks usually attach these hose clamps to the frame rail? I don't have access to tighten a nut to a bolt from the other side as the frame rail is enclosed. Do people just drill a hole and run a bolt thru and the threads grabbing on to the metal of the frame rail enough to hold? I've thought about rivnuts but I've heard those can end up just spinning in the hole they're installed in?

Here's a pic of another 240's underside to get an idea of the situation. That person ran their battery cable thru the frame rail, but they've had to cut holes somewhere to get that cable in there as the frame rails are enclosed at both ends.

Most people probably just use decent-sized self-drilling/tapping sheet metal screws.
Rivnuts/threaded rivets are awesome if you have the installation tool.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

"The tread of time [. . .] levelling all else, has beaten only to a more enduring hardness the pathways that have been made throughout the world." Kinda like my posting.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

How dumb am I for looking at a vehicle that has 113k miles, the first 30k of which was as a rental? Because otherwise, it is pretty much perfect and my truck us pissing me off again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Reading is for nerds.

• Locked thread