Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
I really liked Max Payne 3, also thought it could greatly benefit from a PS4 remaster.
Regardless of how you feel about the game, the soundtrack and the way it was integrated into the game was masterful and hasn't been done better by anything before or since. GTAV had shades of this (the original non-licensed music that played in some cases) but I wish more games did it.

I'm not sure what type of game The Tomorrow Children is supposed to be, Soviet Minecraft? It has an intriguing concept, and it looks really nice, but what do you do other than gather resources?
Also I actually managed to find a bunch of matryoshka dolls from a downed giant monster, but I couldn't return them to base because they were on a patch of land in the middle of the 'quicksand', and you can't carry stuff while using the jetpack so.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Square just announced a PS4 HD remake of FF12 for 2017.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

It only took like two years of teasing but they're finally doing it. Square-Enix has announced Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age, which is the HD remaster of the previously Japanese-exclusive FFXII "International Zodiac Job System" release of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2-bWotLKqo

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Jeez why's it taking so long

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
12 was my favorite FF game at the time but I don't know what I would think of it now. I might just be completely over FF.

edit: also the single player MMORPG style is mainstream now so it won't stand out in that way.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

smuh posted:

They're changing it to actually be a good game

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hoping against better knowledge that they take out Vaan and Penelo and rework it to a four person party so all the actually story-relevant characters can be in at once.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Sakurazuka posted:

They're changing it to actually be a good game

how dare you

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If you do want to advance a scholarly-type argument about games, the first thing you'd need to do (besides not flubbing historical contextualization) is clearly defining the premises of your arguments. You've mentioned that the combat feels out of place, isn't what the game's "about", and doesn't fit with the "goal" of the game, but it's still unclear what you think Uncharted's goal actually is

I think Uncharted's goal was to make a game that would utilize the PS3's graphical capabilities to their maximum. In the same way that Jak and Daxter was a big showcase of how much space and world the PS2 could load. I do not think there was an actual 'game' in mind when they first started out, which is to say, there's no one gameplay facet that the game seems built around (and both the original Jak and Daxter and the original Uncharted feel very different and unpolished compared to later entries in their respective franchises). The "game" of Uncharted is a whole bunch of different games. Uncharted 1 is an incoherent mess, because you have sections like that awful jet ski sequence where the controls suck and the whole situation is so cartoony that it takes you out of the action--there's a lot of Crash Bandicoot in Uncharted 1. Uncharted 2 is where they determined the type of game they want to make, and is a much more focused and enjoyable game as a result.

The combat feels out of place because scarcely nobody actually talks about it or acknowledges it. You can slaughter thirty guys, blow up three jeeps, snap ten necks and nobody bats an eye. The first Uncharted especially has characters like Elena who act nonsensically, acting like they're having a great big fun adventure when five minutes earlier they just horribly killed dozens of people. Elena even seems confused as to why Nate, who for the only time in the series is the voice of reason, wants to try and leave the island. Worse, as I've said before, the combat tends to just happen because if it didn't, nothing would really exist to challenge the player--particularly in the first Uncharted, where enemy ambushes would come with multiple waves that just ate up time. It just doesn't feel necessary. Tomb Raider, to contrast, had Lara fighting a lot of non-human enemies, and using her guns for puzzle solving as much as she might for combat. Her guns also felt like a part of her character--wielding two pistols is something that helps define Lara Croft's character. Nate's gunplay doesn't accomplish that, he doesn't have a signature weapon or anything like that. He's a generic guy who shoots generic guns, but in the game, he's a clever man who uses his cleverness and wit to escape danger. It'd have been nice if the gameplay reflected that more.

If you were designing Uncharted, with the basic premise "a treasure hunter seeks treasure in swashbuckling adventure", would you make it a cover-based shooter? If you were tasked with making an Indiana Jones game, would gunplay be the thing you emphasized there? That's my argument. The combat in Uncharted doesn't really connect to the game's core, which I'd define as either its character-driven story or to its goal of being a bright and colorful explorative treasure hunting game. A treasure hunting game where collecting treasure is a super optional pixel-hunting diversion--isn't that just a little rear end backwards?

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jun 6, 2016

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Policenaut posted:

It only took like two years of teasing but they're finally doing it. Square-Enix has announced Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age, which is the HD remaster of the previously Japanese-exclusive FFXII "International Zodiac Job System" release of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2-bWotLKqo

I had honestly given up hope of this ever happening. This is the only game I am excited for right now.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

8-Bit Scholar posted:

If you were designing Uncharted, with the basic premise "a treasure hunter seeks treasure in swashbuckling adventure", would you make it a cover-based shooter?

I dunno, maybe? Obviously you would not.

Not that it matters in the end, Naughty Dog made all 4 console games as is because that was what they were aiming for. They weren't aiming for a game that makes u think about the real consequences of killing people. They weren't trying to make any variation of Tomb Raider. They were aiming to make Uncharted, and that's okay. You can want the games to be something else that they aren't and never have been, and that's also okay to have preferences and stuff. I don't think that's particularly good angle for criticism though. It's on par with people disliking Windwaker's visuals because they weren't "mature".

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

smuh posted:

Half a decade dev cycle is pretty quick for these guys, tbh.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Maybe I'll actually finish it this time. (lol no I won't).

smuh posted:

They're releasing another game this fall called Final Fantasy 15, I doubt they want to work against their own game

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I just started actually playing Tropico 5, is there a thread somewhere for the game? There is a lot of little details in the game that they just flat out do not explain but expect you to know and I feel like a lot of my trial and error in the campaign could be avoided.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
Beat the first boss of Witcher 3 easily, switched to the hardest difficulty because there was no challenge in it. It feels like I'm pretending to hunt monsters after Bloodborne made me feel like I actually was hunting them.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Count Chocula posted:

Beat the first boss of Witcher 3 easily, switched to the hardest difficulty because there was no challenge in it. It feels like I'm pretending to hunt monsters after Bloodborne made me feel like I actually was hunting them.

Witcher 3 is not a particularly great game on its mechanics alone on any difficulty setting. Combat is always going to have a certain amount of jankiness to it.

It is, however, a stellar role-playing game with surprisingly good writing. It basically has ruined western role-playing games for me.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

I just started actually playing Tropico 5, is there a thread somewhere for the game? There is a lot of little details in the game that they just flat out do not explain but expect you to know and I feel like a lot of my trial and error in the campaign could be avoided.

Did you run through all the parts of the tutorial? That helped a ton for me.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

PacoPepe posted:

Grabbed Life is Strange on the last sale, finished it today. It was pretty good, found it a lot more engaging than the telltale games ive played.
The game does touch all mayor time travel cliches, but characters and eviroments are made well enough that you end up caring about the stuff that happens, well worth the $8.

I mulled over getting this during the Extended Play sale but decided not to do it, but now I'm kind of wishing I had. I've never heard anybody talk about it, but it looked pretty interesting.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Morby posted:

Did you run through all the parts of the tutorial? That helped a ton for me.

I got the tutorial trophy so I think so :confused:

The main problem is that it stopped at the World War era so all the stuff you unlock after that is just dropped on you with nothing explaining it. Unless there's more tutorials that I still need to do.

I'm definitely enjoying the game, though I wish those drat rebels would get off my lawn.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I hope the FFXII remake will have the turbo button. That's gonna be a godsend.

e: oh wow all the gambits are available from the start? Awesome. well from the earliest point you get gambits you know what I mean

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jun 6, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Samurai Sanders posted:

12 was my favorite FF game at the time but I don't know what I would think of it now. I might just be completely over FF.

edit: also the single player MMORPG style is mainstream now so it won't stand out in that way.

Yeah but it won't stand out in the "oh poo poo this feels ancient and bad" way that XIII does :cheeky:

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Count Chocula posted:

Er, if the first boss is that Grififn you face early on, I'd advise you knock the difficult down a peg because once you leave White Orchard, the game stops loving around and you're going to get demolished by Drowners if you're not careful.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 27 minutes!

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah but it won't stand out in the "oh poo poo this feels ancient and bad" way that XIII does :cheeky:

FFXIII was one of the first PS3 games I bought and it's probably my least favourite game of all time.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

My Lovely Horse posted:

I hope the FFXII remake will have the turbo button. That's gonna be a godsend.

e: oh wow all the gambits are available from the start? Awesome. well from the earliest point you get gambits you know what I mean

The Zodiac International version already has a turbo and they're adding another one on top of that

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

I got the tutorial trophy so I think so :confused:

The main problem is that it stopped at the World War era so all the stuff you unlock after that is just dropped on you with nothing explaining it. Unless there's more tutorials that I still need to do.

I'm definitely enjoying the game, though I wish those drat rebels would get off my lawn.

No, you're right about the tutorials. It's a game I definitely would have not been able to wing without it. Even then, like you said, battle isn't something they covered at all. I'm just kinda haphazardly figuring things out as I go.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

8-Bit Scholar posted:

If you were designing Uncharted, with the basic premise "a treasure hunter seeks treasure in swashbuckling adventure", would you make it a cover-based shooter? If you were tasked with making an Indiana Jones game, would gunplay be the thing you emphasized there? That's my argument. The combat in Uncharted doesn't really connect to the game's core, which I'd define as either its character-driven story or to its goal of being a bright and colorful explorative treasure hunting game. A treasure hunting game where collecting treasure is a super optional pixel-hunting diversion--isn't that just a little rear end backwards?

Well, first, I and other people have already described the inaccuracy of limiting Uncharted's combat to "cover-based shooting", and yes, I would say that modern-day swashbuckling would involve a lot of gunplay. I also like that you used the Indiana Jones examples, which I agree with -- and the majority of action scenes in those films involve running and jumping around and also gunning down enemies, all things you do in Uncharted. One of the very first action sequences in the entire Indiana Jones series is -- you guessed it -- a drawn-out shootout which would feel at home in a "cover-based shooter". Also, one of the most iconic moments of all time in Indiana Jones films involves him shooting a man at point-blank range, which is coincidentally the thing you do the most in Uncharted games. Because gunplay is a relatively intuitive mode of action in games, it's definitely emphasized more than in a film, but it totally would fit in the definition of a modern-day swashbuckler. The term comes from a character archetype literally swaggering around with a weapon, so ironically the examples you use make my argument for me.

Drake is a "treasure hunter" character archetype, but that does not mean the game is a "treasure hunting" archetype, because to assume that would be to confuse narrative markers for gameplay structure. A game announces what it is through the grammars of action it gives you, and the first thing you do in the entire series is shoot at a bunch of people on boats. Gunplay is at the game's core; the fact that it's well-designed, flows into the progression, and generally feels good to play make it an asset.

Your level of grasp on the material, both in terms of examples and what's actually going on in films and games, shows that this conversation probably won't be productive any longer, so I'll leave it at that and just bask in the joy of the FF12 announcement

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I mulled over getting this during the Extended Play sale but decided not to do it, but now I'm kind of wishing I had. I've never heard anybody talk about it, but it looked pretty interesting.

Did you just wake up from a coma or something?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I bought it on sale a while back and I can't get into it for the life of me. Everyone says it's great and I even really like that style of game but thematically it doesn't do it for me at all.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Morby posted:

No, you're right about the tutorials. It's a game I definitely would have not been able to wing without it. Even then, like you said, battle isn't something they covered at all. I'm just kinda haphazardly figuring things out as I go.

The real fun part is that I didn't even use trade routes until the third campaign mission because the game never really tells you what they are and I accidentally opened the menu when looking for something else :haw:

One of my biggest problems is money and while that didn't really solve the issue it made it less bad.

Is there something I can do with my Swiss Bank account that isn't a prompt? Or is it only for bribes and stuff when I'm prompted with a quest?

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

the truth posted:

Did you just wake up from a coma or something?

Yes. I went into a coma in 2008. Glad to see my coma was short-lived and Last Guardian is still on schedule.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

NESguerilla posted:

I bought it on sale a while back and I can't get into it for the life of me. Everyone says it's great and I even really like that style of game but thematically it doesn't do it for me at all.

it definitely helps to like awkward teens, the 90s, and the Pacific Northwest, so if those things don't do it for you, I can understand not liking it. they did a good job with the dialogue though, and I think they patched better lip syncing, which was really my only complaint

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

One of the very first action sequences in the entire Indiana Jones series is -- you guessed it -- a drawn-out shootout which would feel at home in a "cover-based shooter".

You mean the giant boulder? Or that one sequence in the burning inn later? I mean, Indiana Jones isn't really known for its shoot-outs, most of the gun violence in it is fast and sudden--see Indy shooting the guy with the sword. The drawn-out action is always fisticuffs or vehicular chases, both of which end up in Uncharted but to far lesser degrees than the standard shooting.

quote:

Also, one of the most iconic moments of all time in Indiana Jones films involves him shooting a man at point-blank range, which is coincidentally the thing you do the most in Uncharted games. Because gunplay is a relatively intuitive mode of action in games, it's definitely emphasized more than in a film, but it totally would fit in the definition of a modern-day swashbuckler. The term comes from a character archetype literally swaggering around with a weapon, so ironically the examples you use make my argument for me.

Drake is a "treasure hunter" character archetype, but that does not mean the game is a "treasure hunting" archetype, because to assume that would be to confuse narrative markers for gameplay structure. A game announces what it is through the grammars of action it gives you, and the first thing you do in the entire series is shoot at a bunch of people on boats. Gunplay is at the game's core; the fact that it's well-designed, flows into the progression, and generally feels good to play make it an asset.

Yes, gunplay is indeed Uncharted's core gameplay mechanic as it is now, but it isn't one that I think the franchise does particularly well nor is served very well by. The shooting mechanics do not in any way intersect with the other mechanics, jumping or climbing or puzzle solving. The only intersection of these is where you are hanging from a cliff face and shooting up at guys. There's a disconnect between Drake's personality as a jocular everyman who wants to talk his way out of every confrontation and his actions as an eagle-eyed sharpshooter. I guess it feels okay to play, that's again quite subjective, but other shooters have done it much better, with more satisfying gun sounds and more varied weapons, enemy types and battle set pieces. Why's this Uncharted's selling point when it is, at past, simply okay?

Look at something like Prince of Persia: Sands of Time. Prince of Persia is a 3-D platformer with action elements and puzzle solving, not dissimilar from Uncharted in many ways, particularly its stylish combat and jumping about ancient ruins. Prince of Persia's platforming and its combat are entwined though--you can utilize traversal mechanics, like the wall run, to perform attacks on enemies. The time manipulation power is both central to platforming, puzzle solving AND combat. In contrast, Uncharted's combat feels removed almost entirely from its traversal mechanics, and certainly feels removed from the story. Like, Lazarovich is supposed to be this merciless monster of a human being, but he's not running around cracking jokes while snapping people's necks, yeah? So you have several dissonant elements that don't blend into a cohesive whole.

The reason I picked out the treasure hunter aspect is because it's the only thing Uncharted seems thematically based around. Hunting for treasure, finding treasure--these are Drake's primary motivations in all of the games, the impetus for your quest in the first place. Yet as a player, I could really care less about the treasure, since it's not really important to the gameplay at all.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
did you never use the environment to attack enemies in Uncharted? because really

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

This is new I think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hzpv33Zz0o

Some corny dialogue but overall I think it made me more hopeful.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah that came out today, along with an announcement of a delay to February.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

morallyobjected posted:

did you never use the environment to attack enemies in Uncharted? because really
Yeah, it seems like that assessment of Uncharted's gunplay comes from a lack of critically assessing the options the games gives to you and signals to you quite clearly in combat spaces.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The reason I picked out the treasure hunter aspect is because it's the only thing Uncharted seems thematically based around. Hunting for treasure, finding treasure--these are Drake's primary motivations in all of the games, the impetus for your quest in the first place. Yet as a player, I could really care less about the treasure, since it's not really important to the gameplay at all. (emphasis added)

Considering that every Uncharted game basically ends up with Drake or another character almost literally saying "The treasure doesn't matter, what's really important is stopping the bad guys and journeying together with your friends", maybe the narrative and gameplay aspects are actually not as far off as you claim!

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah that came out today, along with an announcement of a delay to February.

uh oh that is not traditionally a "really good game" release month.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah, it seems like that assessment of Uncharted's gunplay comes from a lack of critically assessing the options the games gives to you and signals to you quite clearly in combat spaces.

Considering that every Uncharted game basically ends up with Drake or another character almost literally saying "The treasure doesn't matter, what's really important is stopping the bad guys and journeying together with your friends", maybe the narrative and gameplay aspects are actually not as far off as you claim!

Can you give me an example, exactly? Besides maybe using a cliff to sneak around an enemy or as a form of cover, the climbing and platforming isn't terribly well-integrated into combat in my experience. It gives you slightly more options, in some circumstances, for what you may use as cover and where you may attack enemies from. It's nowhere near as well integrated as my Prince of Persia example, where both combat and traversal share mechanics and feed meaningfully into one another.

I mean, they keep saying the treasure doesn't matter, but in that case, you really just killed a lot of men and destroyed priceless historical artifacts for absolutely no reason at all. I'm not sure if that's actually better? Particularly since Nate's "friends" all inevitably betray him. In some cases, like Sully, they do it multiple times!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

uh oh that is not traditionally a "really good game" release month.

For the past few years there have been very strong titles released between feb and apr.

A delay on that game is fine imo. Its not something im hyped about and this year is way too packed holy crap 2016 rules already and its only 45% over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Holy poo poo. You take vidya games way too seriously. I play them to have fun, not to get some deeper meaning of the human psyche. If you don't like something just move the gently caress on. Don't write War and Peace length posts on it.

• Locked thread