Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best

Mad Dragon posted:

Is your refrigerator running?

"This is Mike Hunt."

I might not be as anti-Richard as some posters here but I am glad we're off the Richard loving everything up wagon for at least a little bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I like that the stakes just keep getting raised each season. Also, loving Gavin's security guard.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
I thought Richard would pull the plug when realizing that only engineers liked the beta (except Tara?). Guess we'll see how this pans out.

Also:
Silicon Valley Season 3: We're all animals in a pit

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
guilfoyle is the best character in this series

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm glad they didn't pull the usual "It's all going great except it just hosed up" that they usually do. Can't wait to see what terrible thing happens next week.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
Gavin was strong like always. Questioning if his employees even believed in the spirit of Hooli, and his response of "why?" about the guy inviting him to his wedding.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I was expecting Big Head to receive a call from Gavin throwing ridiculous amounts of money at him to lead the EndFrame team when Gavin realized how far behind they were compared to Pied Piper.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Chinatown posted:

Agreed. He's at his best when he's making GBS threads all over Dinesh, but he's very good on his own.

Jinyang stole the episode with his two horrible attempts at prank calls.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i also forgot milana was in this series

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Chinatown posted:

This, and it's not even close.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
http://www.piedpiper.com is updated with screenshots of the platform, pretty obvious to see why monica dislikes it but I wouldn't say the problem wasn't with the UX

So now that Raviga has control over the company I was thinking the launch would be suddenly delayed or something due to some power play by Laurie

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Throughout all the scenes about sending beta invites to other techies, I kept thinking to myself that they totally made a platform that's by engineers for engineers. The wide release of the beta is going to crash and burn with the general public because Monica's right - non-engineers are going to hate it.

Also this season needs more Jin Yang. Halfassedly pranking Erlich is great.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Lady Galaga posted:

http://www.piedpiper.com is updated with screenshots of the platform, pretty obvious to see why monica dislikes it but I wouldn't say the problem wasn't with the UX

So now that Raviga has control over the company I was thinking the launch would be suddenly delayed or something due to some power play by Laurie

Sanjay Basu's resume is hilariously awesome because of course it is.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

sticklefifer posted:

Throughout all the scenes about sending beta invites to other techies, I kept thinking to myself that they totally made a platform that's by engineers for engineers. The wide release of the beta is going to crash and burn with the general public because Monica's right - non-engineers are going to hate it.

Is your refrigerator running? My name is Mike Hunt.

Scinon
Jul 23, 2006
Now with 2% more atoms!

sticklefifer posted:

Yea looking at the screenshots on the website it seems they tried to make it 80s/90s sperg button hell UX.

People are going to try it and hate it, a joke will be made that general users are one button lemmings.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

sticklefifer posted:

This sort of reminds me of the Coke II launch.

Coke did market testing in which 87% of the group loved it. 13% didn't care about the flavor and were just enraged thar they were changing the classic, good old American Coke formula. They were so vocally negative that they started turning some of the 87%.

The execs famously disregarded the 13% as a fluke and launched. The exact same thing happened in the general population and a product that seemed like a slam dunk from testing went down in flames.

I forgot how amazing Jin Yiang is.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

loldongs.mov

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Hollismason posted:

Also, loving Gavin's security guard.

Why are you so high maintenance?! gently caress!

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Hollismason posted:

Sanjay Basu's resume is hilariously awesome because of course it is.

He lives 12 hrs away from where he teaches...

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Why would Erlic sell his shares pre-launch? Or, sell all his shares. Wait a few more days to pay off his debts and still make money with the new evaluation of PP post open beta.

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006

drunkill posted:

Why would Erlic sell his shares pre-launch? Or, sell all his shares. Wait a few more days to pay off his debts and still make money with the new evaluation of PP post open beta.

Maybe he took the threat from the DA (?) to heart, and didn't think he had the time?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

As a UX designer I am very giddy to joke with my engineering when this show goes the "product sucks without design" route. I'm sure the show will make me regret this feeling.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

It feels like they are writing him out. I hope thats not the case, because TJ is a funny dude and brings a lot to the show. though he is definitely being made out to be a right rear end in a top hat this season and its ruining his character.

Gilfoyle still best character.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just finally got around to watching this, and TJ MILLER! Who knew...

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Rocksicles posted:

I just finally got around to watching this, and TJ MILLER! Who knew...

Lots of people, actually

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I guess the fans don't fall far from the show... :)

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

gret posted:

I was expecting Big Head to receive a call from Gavin throwing ridiculous amounts of money at him to lead the EndFrame team when Gavin realized how far behind they were compared to Pied Piper.

I was expecting Big Head to crash at 'Steve' (Jobs)' place

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Dead Snoopy posted:

I was expecting Big Head to crash at 'Steve' (Jobs)' place

Big head, lots of tasty braaaaaiiinsssss.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

This show is so goddamn GOOD. I don't favor any character over the other - they are all amazing and bring their A game.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Jared had even more great lines in this one.

"I used to pretend I was bunk mates with Harriet Tubman and we'd hatch our own great escapes"

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

lifts cats over head posted:

Jared had even more great lines in this one.

"I used to pretend I was bunk mates with Harriet Tubman and we'd hatch our own great escapes"

Jared vocalizing all the female names he's putting on his invite list in front of Dinesh was great.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Yeah, idk why they had Monica explicitly say "the UX is fine" when it looks like it's exactly the problem.

Edit: also, a screenshot of the whole desktop without even one easter egg? For shame.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Yeah, idk why they had Monica explicitly say "the UX is fine" when it looks like it's exactly the problem.

Edit: also, a screenshot of the whole desktop without even one easter egg? For shame.

Name of the compressed file is "loldongs"

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I had to explain to my wife why the engineers would simply ignore any complaints about the user interface from Monica. It's not unusual for that stuff to have menus that make navigation easy if, and only if, you programmed the god drat thing and therefore know where everything is to begin with. Open File and Close File in totally separate menus? I've seen it. Other similar functions that complement each other and are often done together having to be accessed in totally different ways? All the time. Massive amounts of options that 99% of the program's users will never even want to change, even if they knew what they were doing? Check.

(I've had a few jobs in the past that used programs written just for doing a specific set of tasks within that particular company--the end result was a working but rough and non-intuitive product every time. There's no need to make it look good, run smooth, or be easy to figure out when your customer is a company that won't release it to the public, and they can take a week to train people in how to use what should be an easy-to-use program.)

It goes back to Office Space. That guy's job was to take the specs from the customers to the engineers. Why can't the engineers just get it from the customers? Because they're not good with customers. The fact of the matter is that that guy? You need that guy.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Haha holy poo poo, next episode is going to be amazing.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Yeah that confused me too. They seem to be pretty clearly setting up the next episode's plot driver to be that the UX is terrible for anyone who isn't an engineer. Yet Monica apparently doesn't know what UX is and says it's fine?

Also the screenshot is from a Windows computer for some reason?? Hasn't everything they've been using on the show so far been a MacBooks or Linux?

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Yeah, it looks like an updated version of Gordian Knot or something. Monica knows that 99% of non-engineers living in 2016 want at most a COMPRESS MY poo poo button to deal with but she didn't want to burst the team's positive feedback bubble.

Was kind of surprised we got through her scenes with Richard without another nerd meltdown but I guess they're saving it all for next week when the world at large drops a steaming pile of poo poo on his genius creation.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jun 6, 2016

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

mrmcd posted:

Yeah that confused me too. They seem to be pretty clearly setting up the next episode's plot driver to be that the UX is terrible for anyone who isn't an engineer. Yet Monica apparently doesn't know what UX is and says it's fine?

Also the screenshot is from a Windows computer for some reason?? Hasn't everything they've been using on the show so far been a MacBooks or Linux?

Macbooks just look nice from the back.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

mrmcd posted:

Holy poo poo, you've poked a hole in the entire series. Well done, eagle-eyed viewer. drat. Owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I'm a little sad they didn't partner with like DropBox to set up a functional site that just lied about the compression ratios

• Locked thread