Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Cut of Your Jib
Apr 24, 2007

you don't find a style

a style finds you

Radio! posted:

I like the cut of your jib.

I appreciate it, friend.

Though I don't much care for the Squirrel Girl art style in those panels. I think the mouths are a bit too grotesque. The story is still great, so what do I know?

e: expecting Talbot to hire Kraven to hunt down some Inhumans next season and starts some strife with Colson and Mack's metahuman-friendly team.

The Cut of Your Jib fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jun 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Radio! posted:

And all the proof you'll ever need that Squirrel Girl rules:

I usually don't really care for comics, but I bought and read those on a whim yesterday. And they are incredibly good! I love the story and the characters and the world building and the humor and the twitter synopsis's and the general positive attitude.

Unlike most heroes, she actually wants to help her enemies get better, because she's a good person, rather than a sociopath who just wants to assault 'bad guys'. :3:

And the Deadpool villain collection cards are incredible!

The art is actually quite nice too. I can see why someone would dislike it, but it's just incredibly fitting. That Galactus panel doesn't really do it justice, though. It's probably due to the helmet.

Huge recommendation from me! I really want her to show up in the MCU now.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jun 6, 2016

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Air is lava! posted:

It's the role Kristen Schaal was born to play.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Air is lava! posted:

I usually don't really care for comics, but I bought and read those on a whim yesterday. And they are incredibly good! I love the story and the characters and the world building and the humor and the twitter synopsis's and the general positive attitude.

Unlike most heroes, she actually wants to help her enemies get better, because she's a good person, rather than a sociopath who just wants to assault 'bad guys'. :3:

The art is actually quite nice too. I can see why someone would dislike it, but it's just incredibly fitting. That Galactus panel doesn't really do it justice, though. It's probably due to the helmet.

I just went and made sure this was on Marvel Unlimited. Now I'm intrigued.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Daveski posted:

Kristen Schaal in a marvel movie would be awesome.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Doronin posted:

I just went and made sure this was on Marvel Unlimited. Now I'm intrigued.

Everything released today is on Unlimited, just 6 months behind.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Daveski posted:

It has to be Dreama Walker so she can team with Jessica Jones.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Maxwell Lord posted:

Oh my god

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I've always seen Squirrel Girl being played by Mae Whitman.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

twistedmentat posted:

Her?

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

Her?

Goddamnit :(

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Daveski posted:

Her or Ellie Kemper. Either would be great.

twistedmentat posted:

Egg?

(Also her.)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm glad people remember Egg, but I was thinking more Roxy from Scott Pilgrim, I mean, they've already cast one person from it, possibly 2.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Maxwell Lord posted:

This, it absolutely has to be this.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Air is lava! posted:

If you like that style of positive, funny, upbeat super heroing, your next stop is Ms. Marvel and Patsy Walker aka Hellcat.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Soonmot posted:

If you like that style of positive, funny, upbeat super heroing, your next stop is Ms. Marvel and Patsy Walker aka Hellcat.

My wife absorbed just about everything that involves those two that she can find. I'm thinking I might have to check that out myself, finally.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

I was wavering on whether to get Patsy Walker but if it's up there with Ms Marvel and Squirrel Girl I'm definitely gonna pick it up now.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Soonmot posted:

Ms. Marvel is one of the best things that Marvel has done in the last decade.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's all character and no plot though, not that that's a big deal to anyone in this thread.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Aphrodite posted:

It's all character and no plot though, not that that's a big deal to anyone in this thread.

Sounds like my kind of comic book!

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
I really want Squirrel Girl to show up in the MCU. Even better if she clowns some big bad they aren't going to use anyway off screen.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
What's great is that technically Marvel can use Squirrel Girl after they made a point in one comic of making it very clear that she is not a mutant.
http://kotaku.com/marvel-just-made-a-weird-change-to-squirrel-girl-1740137608

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ensign_Ricky posted:

What's great is that technically Marvel can use Squirrel Girl after they made a point in one comic of making it very clear that she is not a mutant.
http://kotaku.com/marvel-just-made-a-weird-change-to-squirrel-girl-1740137608

It's unlikely to hold up if Fox cared enough to challenge.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I would be okay with the MCU treating Squirrel Girl like a muted Stan Lee cameo. Just one random scene per movie, where Squirrel Girl is Doing Antics in the background, while whatever happens in the foreground continues obliviously.

And holy crap, Kristen Schaal is Squirrel Girl IRL like RDJ is Tony Stark.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
If they just sold the movie rights, I guess she could show up in the Netflix series. She does know Jessica and Luke, for instance.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Squirrel Girl is such a critical darling and has a massive online fanbase, plus she has appeal to demographics that not a lot of comics have, much like Ms Marvel. Hellcat already exists in Jessica Jones, just they call her Trish rather than Patsy, though they explain that because she was some Hillary Duff like Disney channel star when she was a teen. Why she's blond rather than a redhead.

Though I'm sure by the time we get to Defenders of JJ season 2 we'll see her Krav Maga someone in a costume.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I think Marvel has the Movie rights to Squirrel Girl. IIRC she was in a large trademark spree that marvel went on a few years ago that included all characters and teams in their movie lineup.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Soonmot posted:

Patsy Walker aka Hellcat.

This also looks fun. But incidentally, i'm not a big fan of that art style, though. Different strokes I guess. Is that style supposed to remind me of World War 2 propaganda?
Maybe I should start reading more comic books in general. It's not like I am to cool for that.

BrianWilly posted:

Really, the trademark issues have less to do with mutant/not-mutant and more to do with whether the characters in question are more associated with the X-Men or the Avengers. Like...y'know, Moira MacTaggert isn't a mutant but she's not gonna be in any MCU films.

You just know that somewhere in some cellar at Disney there is a 1000 page document written by the just as many lawyers, which specifies exactly what can and can not be used. It must be such a clusterfuck and really weird to read.

§2542.a) The Kingdom of Symkaria, as part of the extension of the Spiderman franchise may be used as a cinematic landscape, political plot point or rhetorical background.
§2542.b) Under no circumstances can the western border and by extension the neighboring country Latveria, its people and especially the local politician one Doctor Victor van Doom be mentioned. Refer to §1434 and §20 respectively.
§2542.c) In accordance to the discussion on Feburary second 2016, any overhead shots or flyovers over the country may only last up to 5 seconds. This limit may be prolonged if there is cloudy weather. [decision pending]

I really want to read that thing.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 6, 2016

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Really, the trademark issues have less to do with mutant/not-mutant and more to do with whether the characters in question are more associated with the X-Men or the Avengers. Like...y'know, Moira MacTaggert isn't a mutant but she's not gonna be in any MCU films.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

BrianWilly posted:

This is why the MCU has (er, had) Quicksilver and still has Scarlet Witch. They were first introduced as Avengers and spent a lot of their early establishing years associated with them. Plus the retconning and then double-retconning over them being mutants/Magneto's kids or not muddies the waters a lot. I wonder if X-Men getting Quicksilver and MCU ending up with only Scarlet Witch was some sort of legal deal related to all of that or not.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Quicksilver was in Avengers 2.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Zebulon posted:

This is why the MCU has (er, had) Quicksilver and still has Scarlet Witch. They were first introduced as Avengers and spent a lot of their early establishing years associated with them. Plus the retconning and then double-retconning over them being mutants/Magneto's kids or not muddies the waters a lot. I wonder if X-Men getting Quicksilver and MCU ending up with only Scarlet Witch was some sort of legal deal related to all of that or not.

It was a confusing situation and the lawyers hashed out a compromise. They both got to use both characters, but Fox could only use them as Magneto's kids and Marcel had to make up the empowered Hydra experiment origin.

The clearest sign that Squirrel Girl is Marvel's to use is that Marvel is publishing her solo book in the first place. They've been axing everything they don't own the rights to and can afford not to publish it. Hell, they even started photoshopping the Fantastic Four out of merchandising.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It was a confusing situation and the lawyers hashed out a compromise. They both got to use both characters, but Fox could only use them as Magneto's kids and Marcel had to make up the empowered Hydra experiment origin.

The clearest sign that Squirrel Girl is Marvel's to use is that Marvel is publishing her solo book in the first place. They've been axing everything they don't own the rights to and can afford not to publish it. Hell, they even started photoshopping the Fantastic Four out of merchandising.

That might be for merchandise but they still have a bunch of x-men titles. They even have Deadpool as an avenger.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The Fantastic Four are the only ones canceled, and that's because they sell like crap.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

X-Men comics are also still among Marvel's best-selling titles.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Aphrodite posted:

The Fantastic Four are the only ones canceled, and that's because they sell like crap.

They also hate them so much they put some of the characters in the inhumans book and guardians of the Galaxy

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I wonder what happens with new characters like Gwenpool. Who can claim those movies rights? Was it created as a deliberate troll to Fox and Sony?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

They also hate them so much they put some of the characters in the inhumans book and guardians of the Galaxy

Also last year's big event was all about them and Dr Doom.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

greatn posted:

I wonder what happens with new characters like Gwenpool. Who can claim those movies rights? Was it created as a deliberate troll to Fox and Sony?

Marvel's childish enough about it all to do that, but Gwenpool came from a month of Gwen variant covers. I guess it depends on how specific Fox's rights are to Deadpool. If they just have him because he falls under related X-Men characters, then that would make her Sony's. If it's more explicit about Deadpool(s), they might need to bring lawyers into it.

Sony and Fox do still get the rights to new characters. Sony was even considering a female Spider-Man movie. It was never specified if it's Gwen or Silk though. Of course none of that Spider-Man related stuff matters as much anymore since they're partnered. If Marvel wanted a movie about one of the new Spider-Man related characters made I'm sure Sony could be convinced to accept an $800mil+ box office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

Yeah, Human Torch is an Inhuman now, and he's on the Avengers Unity Team with Deadpool.

• Locked thread