Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I've heard of houses built with Aluminum frames, is that real? Is it common, beneficial, expensive etc. What are the most common building materials such as brick, wood, or aluminum, and how do they compare to each other?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
No, framing a house with aluminum would be crazy expensive. Steel framing is a thing though. Steel framing tends to be more expensive, has poor thermal characteristics, and poor fire resistance (fire resistance is often cited as a strength due to the misconception that houses are flammable because of wood framing, while the reality is that steel framing fails much faster in the high temperature conditions of house fires). The main benefit of steel framing is that it is faster to assemble, making it popular in commercial projects, where paying a bit extra for shorter timelines is typically a valued tradeoff.

Brick is very rarely used as a structural element these days, due to high material and labor costs and long construction timelines. When you see brick in modern construction, it's usually a veneer.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Zhentar posted:

Brick is very rarely used as a structural element these days, due to high material and labor costs and long construction timelines. When you see brick in modern construction, it's usually a veneer.

This varies by location. It's very rare to see a house in the UK that isn't brick/cavity/breezeblock construction.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Zhentar posted:

Aside from solar, the only small scale "alternative" energy option that's even vaguely cost effective is cogeneration, where instead of burning fuel to heat your home, you burn fuel to generate electricity and use the leftover waste heat to heat your home. It's still not particularly cost effective in most cases and there aren't any currently supported systems to do it.

Microhydro and biogas are plenty cost-effective, but microhydro is site-reliant and not an option for many people and biogas needs more organic feedstock than non-farmer people typically generate + gotta deal with troubleshooting a big vat of hot poop

Zhentar posted:

No, framing a house with aluminum would be crazy expensive. Steel framing is a thing though. Steel framing tends to be more expensive, has poor thermal characteristics, and poor fire resistance (fire resistance is often cited as a strength due to the misconception that houses are flammable because of wood framing, while the reality is that steel framing fails much faster in the high temperature conditions of house fires). The main benefit of steel framing is that it is faster to assemble, making it popular in commercial projects, where paying a bit extra for shorter timelines is typically a valued tradeoff.

Wood is remarkably fire-resistant compared to steel in construction, exhibits A through Z:

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jun 6, 2016

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Our old house was steel frame and it sucked because 1. no contractor was willing to remodel it 2. it was hard to find studs to hang shelves 3. poor insulation.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
My friend just bought a house that was like the one posted. It was like someone planted a "seed" of a mobile home that then grew into a constructed home. The problem is that the insurance company can't figure out to class it as a mobile home or not, as they have quite different rates.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Appreciate this thread. Last weekend I went to home depot and purchased 5 80lb bags of concrete to make this bad boy:

I'm relatively sure I can chain my bike to it safely.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Cakefool posted:

This varies by location. It's very rare to see a house in the UK that isn't brick/cavity/breezeblock construction.

"breezeblock" is a concrete masonry unit, correct? The brick in your construction is a non-structural veneer, and the concrete blocks are the structural element. This is not particularly uncommon in the US, although in residential construction CMU blocks are usually limited to the foundation walls.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Everything was alright til the erosion set in.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

My friend just bought a house that was like the one posted. It was like someone planted a "seed" of a mobile home that then grew into a constructed home. The problem is that the insurance company can't figure out to class it as a mobile home or not, as they have quite different rates.

It's more complicated than "does it move"?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

NancyPants posted:

It's more complicated than "does it move"?

Apparently it was previously insured as a house, because it has a permanent foundation and 90% of the structure was built in place, but now the insurance company claim's it's a mobile home because a tiny part of it was at one point.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Gounads posted:

Appreciate this thread. Last weekend I went to home depot and purchased 5 80lb bags of concrete to make this bad boy:

I'm relatively sure I can chain my bike to it safely.

is this really your work, because I have some questions.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Powerlurker posted:

Did they take a single-wide trailer and build a house around it or something?

Exactly so.

Then, doubled down by shingling what is in the trades known as a "flat roof."

Hope the wind don't blow.

Baronjutter posted:

I evaluated it by the percentage of constructed structure vs. poo poo-on-wheels. Then risk-reported it for aluminum wire and overall frightening wiring.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jun 6, 2016

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Shifty Pony posted:

So somewhere in a wall another phase has managed to make contact with the neutral for that circuit, there are exposed wires which previously caught fire sticking out of the wall in an area of the house where water is handled, and the apartment management doesn't give a poo poo. The best part is that the resident basically has no remedy under state law beyond getting out of the lease a week after sending a certified letter. Despite that being authorized by state law they'll likely have to fight to get their rent and security deposit back. Texas!

Relatedly: http://www.thebigroundtable.com/stories/a-trial-by-fire/

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jun 6, 2016

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

SynthOrange posted:

Everything was alright til the erosion set in.

Oceans are funny like that.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I remember a thread for household wiring with the title "don't burn your house down", but I'll be damned if I can find it. The wires in my A/C heat exchanger are in bad shape and I'd like to replace them. They are flexible stranded 12 AWG with a thick rubber insulation that I assume is for abrasion resistance due to the vibration from the fan and compressor. My local hardware store doesn't have anything like that, so I need to order it online, but I don't know what it is called. Can somebody give me a link to what I need?

Also, I ordered a cheap connector (butt, spade, ring, quick, etc.) assortment and wire nut assortment from Amazon and they are pretty crappy. Any suggestions for brand names of good quality connectors and wire nuts?

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

SkunkDuster posted:

I remember a thread for household wiring with the title "don't burn your house down", but I'll be damned if I can find it. The wires in my A/C heat exchanger are in bad shape and I'd like to replace them. They are flexible stranded 12 AWG with a thick rubber insulation that I assume is for abrasion resistance due to the vibration from the fan and compressor. My local hardware store doesn't have anything like that, so I need to order it online, but I don't know what it is called. Can somebody give me a link to what I need?

Also, I ordered a cheap connector (butt, spade, ring, quick, etc.) assortment and wire nut assortment from Amazon and they are pretty crappy. Any suggestions for brand names of good quality connectors and wire nuts?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3090739

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

SkunkDuster posted:

Come on dude, it's stickied here. That being said, you might be looking for something SJOOW cable.

Those little connectors are all crappy. Try getting the ones with heat shrink tubing. You can use a lighter for the heat, there just can't be any breeze and you can't get the lighter too close or the tubing will get singed.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jun 6, 2016

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Oh god

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Goddamnit, I knew that was going to involve lovely old wiring and arc flash. :smith:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Zhentar posted:

"breezeblock" is a concrete masonry unit, correct? The brick in your construction is a non-structural veneer, and the concrete blocks are the structural element. This is not particularly uncommon in the US, although in residential construction CMU blocks are usually limited to the foundation walls.

As I understand it yes, this is correct - the load bearing element is concrete blockwork in most cases, the brick is a skin for appearance and to contain the cavity wall for insulation purposes.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

frozenpussy posted:

is this really your work, because I have some questions.

I'm afraid so. Was my first time working with concrete, so probably belongs here.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

thespaceinvader posted:

As I understand it yes, this is correct - the load bearing element is concrete blockwork in most cases, the brick is a skin for appearance and to contain the cavity wall for insulation purposes.

Okay, I mistakenly thought as the two were tied together the brick added to the structural element. Thanks for the correction.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Gounads posted:

I'm afraid so. Was my first time working with concrete, so probably belongs here.

5x80 lbs dry concrete weight, it belongs here.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Cakefool posted:

Okay, I mistakenly thought as the two were tied together the brick added to the structural element. Thanks for the correction.

It's entirely possible I'm wrong. I wouldn't let me construct a house.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Gounads posted:

Is it literally for chaining a bike? I feel like the chain is an easy point of failure.

And being right next to a road it's like thief bait. If you live somewhere that you are allowed to shoot thieves on your property I'd wonder if you were setting up a sort of deer feeder for humans.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

frozenpussy posted:

Is it literally for chaining a bike? I feel like the chain is an easy point of failure.

And being right next to a road it's like thief bait. If you live somewhere that you are allowed to shoot thieves on your property I'd wonder if you were setting up a sort of deer feeder for humans.

No. Wasn't the original 400lb concrete schtick someone wanting to secure their motorcycle?

I had an ancient well cover break and needed to be re-capped.

Gounads fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jun 6, 2016

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

kid sinister posted:

Oceans are funny like that.

Rivers, too:
http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/story/news/local/2016/05/25/fundraiser-started-displaced-family/84901996/

This is maybe 1/4 mile from my house. Thankfully, the way the river and street curve, I'm nowhere near it myself and am (in theory) in no danger of my yard and foundation falling down an embankment.

The residents (just renters, owners live in FL) had 20 minutes to go back in and get what they wanted/needed. In some ways it's worse than a fire, because at least then it's all at once, and you're just like "welp, all gone."

But to have to formulate a plan like some kind of deranged Supermarket Sweep to run through your own home picking and choosing what to save?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Oh good, I was worried I wouldn't start my week with crippling sadness. :smith:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

DrBouvenstein posted:

Rivers, too:
http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/story/news/local/2016/05/25/fundraiser-started-displaced-family/84901996/

This is maybe 1/4 mile from my house. Thankfully, the way the river and street curve, I'm nowhere near it myself and am (in theory) in no danger of my yard and foundation falling down an embankment.

The residents (just renters, owners live in FL) had 20 minutes to go back in and get what they wanted/needed. In some ways it's worse than a fire, because at least then it's all at once, and you're just like "welp, all gone."

But to have to formulate a plan like some kind of deranged Supermarket Sweep to run through your own home picking and choosing what to save?

I just wanted to let you know that I appreciate this reference. '

Also, gently caress living that close to water.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Gounads posted:

No. Wasn't the original 400lb concrete schtick someone wanting to secure their motorcycle?

I had an ancient well cover break and needed to be re-capped.

oh okay my mistake, I didn't recognize the motorcycle reference.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
We use to live in front of a swamp bird sanctuary in Florida. I fondly remember digging infinitely deep post holes by hand as footers for a retaining wall to keep our pool from becoming one with the swamp. I have no idea how well it was built as I was in elementary school at the time, but I do remember the sheer volume of cement, huge pieces of lumber, and long wooden posts my dad kept bringing home.

The fence behind it all was rotting away and falling over but it was hard to repair in a certain segment because a giant gator had taken up residence behind it and was pushing it over. They really do bark just like dogs.

Ours is the pool abutting the swamp bird sanctuary. The lower right black area is the start of a large lake. Not pictured / hard to see is the easy 6-10' elevation drop from the back of the pool deck to the swamp. It was often flooded with a foot of standing water (hello mosquitoes), always mucky, and often smoldering. There is also a AM radio tower there which we could hear through any metal surface in the house using a PC speaker and alligator clips, as well as through the phone, often louder than your conversation. I think we twice got them in trouble for broadcasting above their power limit, once substantially above, which made it much easier to hear your phone conversations and use a modem.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

H110Hawk posted:

There is also a AM radio tower there which we could hear through any metal surface in the house using a PC speaker and alligator clips, as well as through the phone, often louder than your conversation. I think we twice got them in trouble for broadcasting above their power limit, once substantially above, which made it much easier to hear your phone conversations and use a modem.

i used to live down the street from a AM spanish language station, and if you had headphones on around 6:00 PM you could hear it clear as day

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Ashcans posted:

Oh good, I was worried I wouldn't start my week with crippling sadness. :smith:

Jackasses in OK finally managed to convict her of child neglect and put her in prison for 10 years. For leaving the kids unattended for 10 minutes.
http://www.fox23.com/news/woman-accused-in-nieces-death-sentenced-to-10-years/245225481

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

kid sinister posted:

Come on dude, it's stickied here. That being said, you might be looking for something SJOOW cable.

Well, that explains why I couldn't find it in Ask/Tell. I was starting to believe that thread took a serious downhill turn and got completely deleted from the forums.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i used to live down the street from a AM spanish language station, and if you had headphones on around 6:00 PM you could hear it clear as day

I think one of my old neighbors ran an illegal radio station out of their garage or something. My old computer speakers would pick it up sometimes. Now they just get News!Weather!Traffic, on the hour, every hour! which is broadcasting from only a measly 20 miles away.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Darchangel posted:

Jackasses in OK finally managed to convict her of child neglect and put her in prison for 10 years. For leaving the kids unattended for 10 minutes.
http://www.fox23.com/news/woman-accused-in-nieces-death-sentenced-to-10-years/245225481

She pleaded guilty.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

On the ground source heat pump / solar conversation, I helped install a horizontal ground loop system a number of years back. 4-5 trenches 8 ft deep and 100ft long with loops in them running glycol with a heat pump in the basement. Heats and cools entire 3br house with full basement in a temperate climate that gets both super loving cold and super loving hot.

Downside was that it (obviously) uses a lot of electricity. He solved that with a government subsidized 10kw photovoltaic installation. Given his amount of electricity usage the payback period is hilariously short. Zero heating and cooling cost, near zero electricity cost (it is a grid tied PV setup with a net metering contract. This is ok because due to location he will be "buffering" an overage of electricity during the summer and running a little on the negative during winter which is balancing out nicely).

What I'm trying to say is that it is both cool and good.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

And there's a few more here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Everyone in the thread might want to check to make sure that their 400lb block of concrete was not made using the concrete that 20k houses in Connecticut used which is now tearing itself apart due to expanding aggregate

quote:

Sandra Miller was at work in January when her daughter called from their home here on Oakridge Drive with alarming news. The house was making loud noises, as if someone had jumped off the counter and landed with a bang. For seconds afterward, the house shook.

A while later, it happened again, and again. Over the next several hours, terrifying bangs rattled the house. The next morning, Ms. Miller called Bill Neal, a structural engineer, who delivered the same stunning news to her that he has now told hundreds of homeowners: The concrete foundation was crumbling and, as a result, her house was gradually collapsing.

The scope of the problem is so vast that state officials have begun an investigation, and they recently announced that the crumbling foundations had been traced to a quarry business and a related concrete maker, which have agreed to stop selling their products for residential use. The stone aggregate used in the concrete mixture has high levels of pyrrhotite, an iron sulfide mineral that can react with oxygen and water to cause swelling and cracking. Over the past 30 years, the quarry has provided concrete for as many as 20,000 houses.

While the state has traced the affected concrete to the quarry business, Becker Construction Company, which operates in Willington, officials have not ruled out other factors. One riddle is the absence of official reports of failing concrete in public or commercial projects that used material from the same quarry, and a concrete maker, the Joseph J. Mottes Company.

John Patton, a spokesman for both companies, has attributed the crumbling foundations to improper installation, specifically the tendency of some contractors to add water to wet concrete to make it pour faster. That was especially true, he said, during a building boom in the 1980s.

By law, Mr. Patton noted, inspectors are on site during commercial and public jobs, ensuring that concrete is mixed and installed properly.