Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

C.M. Kruger posted:

One of the stupider things about the LCS hull corrosion issue is that the Australian ferry company building them has tried to blame the Navy for causing the corrosion. "Manufacturer's warranty void if ship is placed in water."

Reminds me of the RED camera company. Warranty void if you change lenses with the power on.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

What? That's a Type-21 Frigate which definitely does not use pump-jets. Where are you getting that from?

yeah my bad i didn't realise it was a type 21, i was replying to the stuff about the LCS
in which case disregard the parts about waterjets, but the stuff i said about props and shafts still holds true

hell come to think of it i've been on a ship which had to stop one shaft underway with the other still blasting away and the prop didn't tear itself to pieces

Macrowave Oven
Nov 20, 2008

Guitar, bass, drums, keyboards, clavinet, piano, keytar, lap steel guitar, slide bass guitar, mandolin, violin, and FRESH POTS.

Two Finger posted:

yeah my bad i didn't realise it was a type 21, i was replying to the stuff about the LCS
in which case disregard the parts about waterjets, but the stuff i said about props and shafts still holds true

hell come to think of it i've been on a ship which had to stop one shaft underway with the other still blasting away and the prop didn't tear itself to pieces

We always bound up a prop if we had to go underway with one main, since the lube oil pumps were powered by the mains. Also, no anodes on the LCS? They're pucks made of nickel bolted to the hull. How much money could that have possibly saved?

Edit: And by nickel I mean zinc huehuheuheuheuheuhe

Macrowave Oven has a new favorite as of 01:39 on May 23, 2016

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

C.M. Kruger posted:

One of the stupider things about the LCS hull corrosion issue is that the Australian ferry company building them has tried to blame the Navy for causing the corrosion. "Manufacturer's warranty void if ship is placed in water."

Not to defend the lovely ship company*, but I believe they did originally have cathodic (or is it anodic?) protection on the ships, but because of budgets cuts or price overruns or something they were told to remove them, and a bunch of other stuff, to lower costs.

* there's a reason Australia doesn't buy its own warships from them.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Novum posted:

One of my favorites in a long list of chinny dutch kickboxing berserkers:

https://youtu.be/x3zLvNg3OLc

Thanks for re-railing the thread.
Have a Vitor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG-rml3saNg

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

You can't post Vitor without posting the Anderson KO

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I had a member of my family that served on the Forestall. I don't know what he did, I just know the hat I got from him had the scrambled eggs on it. I looked up the ship to find out more about it and holy hell that thing was indestructible

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

John Big Booty posted:

To be perfectly fair, the US had its own fair share of insane rocket folk.

I know it's a couple of pages back, but:

quote:

Crowley and Germer wanted to see Smith removed as head of the Agape Lodge, believing that he had become a bad influence on its members.

Holy poo poo, this guy was too crazy for Aleister loving Crowley. I guess that's badass in its own weird way.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

The Mentalizer posted:

Holy poo poo, this guy was too crazy for Aleister loving Crowley. I guess that's badass in its own weird way.

The Dollop did an episode on this guy.

http://thedollop.libsyn.com/jack-parson

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

SpaceX landing:

https://gfycat.com/UnknownAthleticArcticwolf

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

That is the coolest loving thing I have ever seen.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Sweet Christmas.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

A friend of mine just took a job as head of comms for SpaceX. We agreed that his job is basically running around yelling "gently caress yeah!" and high-fiving reporters.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

The drone ships so far have been called Just Read the Instructions and Of Course I Still Love You :allears:

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Pound_Coin posted:

The drone ships so far have been called Just Read the Instructions and Of Course I Still Love You :allears:

For those not aware, those are named after fictional spacecraft from Banks' Culture series (which are by all accounts excellent books overall - I liked 'em anyways) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_spacecraft_in_the_Culture_series

And the launch itself, plus subsequent 1st stage recovery (all autonomous, mind you - nobody at a joystick or anything) is one badass thing, then the fact that I and millions of others were able to watch it all happen live from around the globe? Also badass. Good job humanity! :science:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Verisimilidude posted:

Speaking of old dudes doing awesome poo poo, here's a kendo match between a 93 year old and a 102 year old.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=share&v=qbLpfxbHyJE

From a while back but can we appreciate the fact that the 93 year old fellow starts on one knee and gets up in one fluid motion? I know people half that age who can get from kneeling to standing a quarter as fast.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Subjunctive posted:

A friend of mine just took a job as head of comms for SpaceX. We agreed that his job is basically running around yelling "gently caress yeah!" and high-fiving reporters.

Pretty sure his job right now is just going onto forums and linking that gif everyfuckingwhere he can. Dang.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
http://i.imgur.com/pNRcCVW.webm

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I like how they stop wrestling half way through, and it just becomes a straight-up dance routine.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Skippy McPants posted:

I like how they stop wrestling half way through, and it just becomes a straight-up dance routine.

And the referee is all "Oh you guys!!" <:rolleyes:>

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

So... Just wrestling.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

I find the individual and coordinated physical ability here mind-boggling. :psyduck:

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
It also had a lot of old timer wrestlers annoyed, just from that Gif. Though it ignores that it's basically from the start of the match, and is their version of a test of strength moment.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLVV_d3vKdY

Video of a canadian band playing out. It's all well and good until about 6:17 where the camera guy gets sucked up into the crowd and shoots a bunch of footage while crowd surfing. Very rad imo

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Shut the fuck up and get out. Have fun being a slave of the rich and powerful.

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I get the subject matter, but what is this (a parody of?)

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Adix posted:

I get the subject matter, but what is this (a parody of?)

Jeppesen releases approach plates which instruct pilots how to land at specific airports.

Apparently, as a joke they decided to release a commemorative one to the Miracle on the Hudson crew on how to crash land.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

:rip:

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Greatest of all time

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Wasn't the story there that that guy took a dive for one reason or another and Ali was yelling at him to stop loving around and get up?

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Calaveron posted:

Wasn't the story there that that guy took a dive for one reason or another and Ali was yelling at him to stop loving around and get up?

Nobody really knows; the punch was too fast to see if it connected. Ali himself didn't think he connected, but his hands were so fast, it could have very well been that he had hit and not realized it.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Calaveron posted:

Get up and fight, sucker!

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
We need to use advanced gene-splicing techniques to combine Mohammed Ali and Bruce Lee to create Brohammed Alee, the greatest punch-man of all time.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

That's a nice sounding gun! Here's a nice sounding plane - the Gloster Meteor's 20mm cannon cartridge ejection ports give the pioneering jet fighter an unmistakable tone that's been dubbed "The Blue Note":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5acn0Ksn66E&t=32s

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Why stop there?

I unironically love this. VW Beetles are the best :allears:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Jetamo posted:

I unironically love this. VW Beetles are the best :allears:

I've had three over the years. There's nothing like flying down the interstate at 80mph in a Super Beetle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Mister Kingdom posted:

I've had three over the years. There's nothing like flying down the interstate at 80mph in a Super Beetle.

Isn't that top speed?