Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Ariel Helwani is passionate about making every interview he's ever done about himself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

-Atom- posted:

Ariel Helwani is passionate about making every interview he's ever done about himself

Did you watch the 1 hour long Nate Diaz interview which is easily one of the best interviews of a fighter ever done?

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

-Atom- posted:

Exactly.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

projecthalaxy posted:

Mr Helwani, you stand accused of taking yourself seriously and possibly even taking pride in your work. How do you plead?

I think it's good to have professionalism in your job, but Ariel does not come off as professional in many interactions especially when he tries to build up fake heat between him and random UFC jobbers, or when he starts bloviating about how much he hates April Fools or whatever is bothering him.

There is nothing wrong with how he is since MMA is not a real sport and sometimes his goofiness just works considering how ridiculous fighters can be at times, but Ariel should not carry himself like he's the next coming of Woodward and Bernstein because he's not.

-Atom- posted:

Yeah.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Work Friend Keven posted:

If you say gently caress boy I think you are a legit piece of poo poo, either have the balls to say human being like you want to or actually be polite instead of saying the special millenial way to say human being.

i didn't realise that's what it was for, i always assumed it was the new asshat or batshit insane of the "gross" generation

anyway brock trained for years before his debut. you have k-1 founder ishii to thank for him.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ariel Helwani doesn't make every interview about himself. He also makes them about beards or shoes.

Kurohashi
Sep 8, 2005

*waddle waddle*
You know when you have someone that repeatedly annoys you with little mistakes/acts and by the 5th time you've lost all patience and show frustration? They don't understand why you freaked out over the one, tiny thing they did at the end and think you should just relax.

That's Ariel.

mistakinder
Mar 19, 2010

YES

Le Saboteur posted:

Did you watch the 1 hour long Nate Diaz interview which is easily one of the best interviews of a fighter ever done?

or just an hour of nate diaz saying entertaining poo poo like he always does. Give me skype and an hour with him and I will get you the same quality.

"hey nate just two questions - would you like a shot at the belt and also whos on steroids?"

set my alarm for a hour later and take a siesta whilst I get the interview of the decade.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

mistakinder posted:

or just an hour of nate diaz saying entertaining poo poo like he always does. Give me skype and an hour with him and I will get you the same quality.

"hey nate just two questions - would you like a shot at the belt and also whos on steroids?"

set my alarm for a hour later and take a siesta whilst I get the interview of the decade.

Its also an example of how smart of an interviewer he is though, not a lot of people would know to sit back and let Nate go in that scenario. He's done tons of greats interviews like that, his walk arounds with Michael Bisping being up there as well. He also does a ton of dumb poo poo becauses he's basically a blogger who got upgraded to an MMA "journalist" when the sport got huge. What Ariel is doing right now is important no matter how you feel about him. The UFC should not be allowed to strong arm ANY writer no matter how you feel about them for reporting news they've confirmed with their sources. Thats loving ridiculous.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Le Saboteur posted:

good god no.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Triticum Guzzler posted:

i didn't realise that's what it was for

It isn't, although I'm not sure if Keven is honestly mistaken or just low-key trolling.

Bundt Cake posted:

Christ I forgot the downside of brock lesnar being back: Brock lesnar's back

To be fair, it's not nearly as embarassing as Brock Lesnar's front

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
ariel's best work was when he did that long interview with an extremely distressed mark hunt where he could never exactly tease out of him what was wrong, but it seemed like his private life was falling apart and he no longer cared about fighting. then it turned out he just wanted carbs.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

ariel's best work was when he did that long interview with an extremely distressed mark hunt where he could never exactly tease out of him what was wrong, but it seemed like his private life was falling apart and he no longer cared about fighting. then it turned out he just wanted carbs.

carbravings are some serious poo poo bro

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

that whole weekend embedded series of Hunt bumbling around Mexico getting his clothes washed and having an emotional crisis was great

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Le Saboteur posted:

Its also an example of how smart of an interviewer he is though, not a lot of people would know to sit back and let Nate go in that scenario. He's done tons of greats interviews like that, his walk arounds with Michael Bisping being up there as well. He also does a ton of dumb poo poo becauses he's basically a blogger who got upgraded to an MMA "journalist" when the sport got huge. What Ariel is doing right now is important no matter how you feel about him. The UFC should not be allowed to strong arm ANY writer no matter how you feel about them for reporting news they've confirmed with their sources. Thats loving ridiculous.

this isn't even the first time they've done this, and the MMA community at large collectively didn't give a poo poo then, and guess what? they'll probably do it again.

ariel helwani isn't going away. he's just not going to have boring interviews before events anymore. he still has all the connections he's always had, and you can continue to get well informed and laugh every time he says man in the hat and man in the shirt

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://twitter.com/hollywoodasia/status/739876295442595841

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Fuckboy means you want to have sex but not get into a relationship <- my read

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Le Saboteur posted:

This is correct.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
I remember the time Ariel interviewed Mayhem Miller who insisted that Ariel talk to him as if he was a character from a movie who never said a line and was vomited on by Kevin James

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

projecthalaxy posted:

Mr Helwani, you stand accused of taking yourself seriously and possibly even taking pride in your work. How do you plead?

GUILTY

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Triticum Guzzler posted:

anyway brock trained for years before his debut. you have k-1 founder ishii to thank for him.

Is that right? Trained to what degree? Was he super-serial about it, or was it just, "I'm learning how to do an armbar!"

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
It really sucks that bisping's moment is getting overshadowed by journalists throwing tantrums, and then complaining that his moment is being overshadowed.

mistakinder
Mar 19, 2010

YES
I always admired his louis theroux quality of trying to appear as unthreatening as possible and putting people at ease to get more out of them as opposed to, say, Brendan "I DISAGREE BRO" Schaub.

But that's also my problem with the situation, Ariel is the one eyed man in the kingdom of Rogans, Schaubs and whoever the gently caress The Herd is.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

-Atom- posted:

this isn't even the first time they've done this, and the MMA community at large collectively didn't give a poo poo then, and guess what? they'll probably do it again.

ariel helwani isn't going away. he's just not going to have boring interviews before events anymore. he still has all the connections he's always had, and you can continue to get well informed and laugh every time he says man in the hat and man in the shirt

Plus MMA Hour is probably one of, if not the, most popular MMA focused podcasts/radio shows around so people won't turn that down just because he's not allowed at UFC events. If UFC put a policy out saying fighters can't talk to him/MMAFighting.com ever then that's where poo poo gets real.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
Ariel is complaining that UFC tried to pay him too much money and get him involved in too many projects.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Centripetal Horse posted:

Is that right? Trained to what degree? Was he super-serial about it, or was it just, "I'm learning how to do an armbar!"

He trained for a bit with Miletich's gym before he was announced as having signed with K-1, who said that they set him up with Royce as a jiu jitsu coach and he didn't debut for like another year. It was something that was in the works for a long time.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

UFC is going to give all of Ariel's access and contacts and preferential treatment to The Garv.

Pimp Cauldron
Aug 3, 2002

A twisted pictoral of phoenix, AZ

Bundt Cake posted:

Christ I forgot the downside of brock lesnar being back: Brock lesnar's back

his chest is where the sword is though

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

FRB Banned for life.

https://twitter.com/FrontRowBrian/status/739334516590837760

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Unfunny Poster posted:

Plus MMA Hour is probably one of, if not the, most popular MMA focused podcasts/radio shows around so people won't turn that down just because he's not allowed at UFC events. If UFC put a policy out saying fighters can't talk to him/MMAFighting.com ever then that's where poo poo gets real.

Sherdog was banned from UFC press row for YEARS, and they still did live play by plays by having a dude in cheap seats text things to someone who would then retype it all.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

At the end of the day Ariel should be fine but I really hope this doesn't affect Esther Lin. She's the best fight photographer in the game and it was ridiculous for them to kick her out with him in the first place.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Brock had Erik Paulson and Greg Nelson supervising his training, and he flew out significant numbers of ranked heavyweights (including the only one in mma that had better wrestling credentials than him) for all of his camps. He got a late start, but he was absolutely taking mma seriously in terms of the time, money and effort he put into training.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004

I love you, boy. One pack, always.

Lipstick Apathy

mistakinder posted:

I always admired his louis theroux quality of trying to appear as unthreatening as possible and putting people at ease to get more out of them as opposed to, say, Brendan "I DISAGREE BRO" Schaub.

That's a good way to put it.

Who else is good for MMA journalism. I usually watch the MMA Hour and the MMA Beat. The guys seem knowledgeable even if they are goofy on occasion. The Fighter and the Kid seems retarded to me and like they rarely know what they are talking about.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Tsyni posted:

Who else is good for MMA journalism. I usually watch the MMA Hour and the MMA Beat. The guys seem knowledgeable even if they are goofy on occasion. The Fighter and the Kid seems retarded to me and like they rarely know what they are talking about.

Ben Fowlkes for actual columns about recent happenings and Patrick Wyman to tell you what you're actually watching

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

1st AD posted:

Sherdog was banned from UFC press row for YEARS, and they still did live play by plays by having a dude in cheap seats text things to someone who would then retype it all.

Yeah there's always ways around stuff like this if it sticks. I doubt UFC could ban MMAFighting.com staff from buying tickets but who knows maybe they will to preserve the positive energy of people calling each other "human being."

Tsyni posted:

Luke Thomas I like, but he barely does interviews. Kevin Iole is also great in my opinion. Fighter & The Kid isn't really a "journalism" thing but a "let's sit and chat with X person and shoot the poo poo" which is good because not everyone does it. Schaub and Cerrone's debate on the Reebok deal was actually pretty good. If you like comics talking sports, Punch Drunk Sports is a podcast with Ari Shaffir, Sam Tripoli, and Jayson Thibault who are all comics. It's more talk radio than hard hitting news but unlike MMAJunkie they're consistently more funny.

The guys from MMAJunkie are pretty terrible when they do interviews on air/radio just because of how annoying they can be with the shouting and talking over each other etc. like morning talk radio idiots.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jun 6, 2016

mistakinder
Mar 19, 2010

YES

Tsyni posted:

Weirdly I have no problem with the idea of a Bryan Callen but he is loving insufferable on any podcast he is involved in. Very funny comic but as soon as he gets off the stage he alternates between pompous monologues about how to change the world and dumb poo poo about mma that he gets called out on and flops instantly.

I think he reminds me too much of myself. And I aint on FATK money.

mistakinder
Mar 19, 2010

YES

-Atom- posted:

Ben Fowlkes for actual columns about recent happenings and Patrick Wyman to tell you what you're actually watching

good shout. The trading shots thing is a bit redundant but I like his articles and they are junkies redeeming feature. He is even getting a bit better at the videos he does from his office.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

fatherdog posted:

It isn't, although I'm not sure if Keven is honestly mistaken or just low-key trolling.

To be fair, it's not nearly as embarassing as Brock Lesnar's front

gently caress boy is absolutely a jail term for a gay man.

TheUltimateDoofus
May 21, 2016
sometimes i make fun of him to fit in but i've been a fan of ariel ever since i mistakenly attributed this video to him like 5 years ago and i stand by my misplaced fandom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7sS9H8Oo8Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

How would he even know? I don't think Dana went into the ins and outs of what Brock is thinking when ejecting them from the arena.

• Locked thread