Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
MGR was post? I thought it was live but they played ahead then pretended they didn't. I avoided that LP because I wanted to play the game myself before watching it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Andrast posted:

I don't want SBF to do those kind of LPs though. Far too much effort that they could be using to do something else.

He just said they weren't really making the best use of the fact that it was post commentary.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
I think the big advantage of the switch-off style is that then more than one person is invested in what is happening on screen.

Pat was losing his poo poo over a lot of stuff (granted mostly DS1 callbacks), but Woolie and Matt would have been waaay more into the cool stuff if they were playing as well. I know that's unrealistic with three people, though, and the drawbacks may very well outweigh the benefits.

Like on the final episode for DS3 Matt/Woolie honestly tried their hardest to get into the concept of how cool and badass the Soul of Cinder was, but it was nowhere near the intense moment of them fighting the last bosses of Bloodbourne. I think that's because only Pat was actually playing so only he had a truly vested interest. Also the callback thing.

It's tough when one person is completely losing their poo poo and everyone else is like "yeah, that's cool I guess..."

Having said that, I think Matt definitely needs to be there if they do DS1, whether he wants to touch the controller or not.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

the MGR:R LP wasn't great cause they weren't/aren't very experienced in doing post-commentary and really didn't use the advantages of it for the LP. Not a lot of editing/showcasing type stuff IIRC.

Compare that to Chip's Revengence LP where he's showing 100% game off, including a lot of enemy move sets, multiple ways to handle enemies, and fun poo poo that happened while recording, but the pace is still kept fairly brisk through super tight editing. Bring in a co-commentator who hasn't scene the run while recording and you still get all the hype and first time experiences.

Comparing any other LP to chip's stuff is rather disingenuous since his LPs are pretty much the literal best you can do for a game.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

HoboTech posted:

I think the big advantage of the switch-off style is that then more than one person is invested in what is happening on screen.

Pat was losing his poo poo over a lot of stuff (granted mostly DS1 callbacks), but Woolie and Matt would have been waaay more into the cool stuff if they were playing as well. I know that's unrealistic with three people, though, and the drawbacks may very well outweigh the benefits.

Like on the final episode for DS3 Matt/Woolie honestly tried their hardest to get into the concept of how cool and badass the Soul of Cinder was, but it was nowhere near the intense moment of them fighting the last bosses of Bloodbourne. I think that's because only Pat was actually playing so only he had a truly vested interest. Also the callback thing.

It's tough when one person is completely losing their poo poo and everyone else is like "yeah, that's cool I guess..."

Having said that, I think Matt definitely needs to be there if they do DS1, whether he wants to touch the controller or not.

The lack of marking out was 100% due to Matt and Woolie not being into Souls like Pat is. Look at Odalus, Matt wasn't playing but was still super invested in everything.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Dias posted:

MGR was post? I thought it was live but they played ahead then pretended they didn't. I avoided that LP because I wanted to play the game myself before watching it.

I could have sworn part of it was post, and Invictus bringing it up just made me assume I was right.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I am shocked that the people who didn't play ds1 didn't mark out at ds1 references, must be because Matt wasn't playing the game he said he didn't want to play

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Andrast posted:

I don't want SBF to do those kind of LPs though. Far too much effort that they could be using to do something else.

I don't know, while I mostly agree with you, parts of the longer LPs dip and drag on for so long that even just a little bit of post commentary would be preferable. like the clean up sections in DS3. I'm glad he went back and did all of it, but it does become a bit tedious to watch him warp around and (sometimes die while doing) run backs to the locations to pick up one or two items intermixing with him warping back to Firelink to fiddle with equipment numbers. There was a whole video and a half of just that fairly recently and with some editing that could have been cut down to just one, if not just half a video for it.

Genocyber posted:

Comparing any other LP to chip's stuff is rather disingenuous since his LPs are pretty much the literal best you can do for a game.

This is also true.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Genocyber posted:

If only they were entertaining too.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Imagine me posting the biggest image of a salt shaker possible, big enough to cover the last several pages.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

hoobajoo posted:

The lack of marking out was 100% due to Matt and Woolie not being into Souls like Pat is. Look at Odalus, Matt wasn't playing but was still super invested in everything.

I completely acknowledge that a lot of it was due to callbacks, but I guess I missed all the tense moments from the Bloodborne bosses. With multiple people playing it was "go-time". And you can't tell me that someone isn't more invested if they're playing as well.

This may also be the change in dynamic from two-person to three-person LPs. Maybe that's what I'm noticing?

Edit: I still really liked the LP, though.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Rodyle posted:

They're pretty entertaining.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Rodyle posted:

Except they are.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Lol is Rodyle seriously gonna be that guy even more so than he already is

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Rodyle posted:

Your opinions are bad, Chip is entertaining as hell

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

HoboTech posted:

I completely acknowledge that a lot of it was due to callbacks, but I guess I missed all the tense moments from the Bloodborne bosses. With multiple people playing it was "go-time". And you can't tell me that someone isn't more invested if they're playing as well.

This may also be the change in dynamic from two-person to three-person LPs. Maybe that's what I'm noticing?

Edit: I still really liked the LP, though.

You're comparing the hardest Souls game to maybe the easiest, so naturally the bosses are less tense. DS2 also had a lot of tense moments even without Pat playing.

I don't think being on controls or not especially matters for investment. Matt was invested in RE4, Liam was invested in Barkley, Pay was invested in I Have No Mouth, on and on. What makes DS3 awkward is Pat is much more invested going in than the other two. I think that ended up making Woolie and Matt maybe feel a little left out, since they couldn't understand why Pat was excited half the time, which made it hard to get into.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

They maybe should have had Woolie do the DS1 LP already.

So many things have been ruined for him just by virtue of having to have it explained why the cool thing in DS3 is cool (and DS2 to a lesser extent).

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Killer7 and MGS2 were pretty good and his MGR tutorials are amazing but I've always bounced off his other stuff, Chip's just not that funny.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Rodyle posted:

Killer7 and MGS2 were pretty good and his MGR tutorials are amazing but I've always bounced off his other stuff, Chip's just not that funny.

Not everything is about humor which is why these comparisons to Chip's LPs have been frankly stupid as poo poo.

You don't watch Best friends for technical performance and you don't watch Chip's stuff for mile a minute jokes bordering on podcast banter. You know, except in rare cases for each.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

hoobajoo posted:

You're comparing the hardest Souls game to maybe the easiest, so naturally the bosses are less tense. DS2 also had a lot of tense moments even without Pat playing.

I don't think being on controls or not especially matters for investment. Matt was invested in RE4, Liam was invested in Barkley, Pay was invested in I Have No Mouth, on and on. What makes DS3 awkward is Pat is much more invested going in than the other two. I think that ended up making Woolie and Matt maybe feel a little left out, since they couldn't understand why Pat was excited half the time, which made it hard to get into.

Yeah I suppose that makes sense. Also, having never played BB, I didn't have much of a way to compare them. I wonder how it would have gone if Liam were there since he'd played them all as well.

I do think there is a difference between the two person vs three person setup, though. Feels like there's a trade off where it's easier for the co-commentators to go off on tangents while something on screen is happening, but at the same time the extra person allows for more varied commentary. We never would have had the SKELETON BALL moment if Matt weren't there, and that was one of the best moments of the LP.

I guess I'm not even complaining at this point, just noticing poo poo.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Phantasium posted:

Not everything is about humor which is why these comparisons to Chip's LPs have been frankly stupid as poo poo.

You don't watch Best friends for technical performance and you don't watch Chip's stuff for mile a minute jokes bordering on podcast banter. You know, except in rare cases for each.

I do think there's something to be said for a bit of judicious editing, but wanting post-commentary SBF is pretty much madness yeah.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Rodyle posted:

I do think there's something to be said for a bit of judicious editing, but wanting post-commentary SBF is pretty much madness yeah.

Oops, except now everyone is bitching at you for editing stuff out.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Alternatively, what I actually like, relegate area cleanup to bonus Pat Stares like in Old Hunters, just so long as those don't occupy proper schedule slots.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

HoboTech posted:

Yeah I suppose that makes sense. Also, having never played BB, I didn't have much of a way to compare them. I wonder how it would have gone if Liam were there since he'd played them all as well.

I do think there is a difference between the two person vs three person setup, though. Feels like there's a trade off where it's easier for the co-commentators to go off on tangents while something on screen is happening, but at the same time the extra person allows for more varied commentary. We never would have had the SKELETON BALL moment if Matt weren't there, and that was one of the best moments of the LP.

I guess I'm not even complaining at this point, just noticing poo poo.

I like the 3p setup for longer LPs since it makes it harder to run out of stuff to say, and for harder games where the person playing it might have to stop talking to concentrate from time to time. The 2p setup makes it a bit more intimate and works better for shorter or more oddball games. It can also be conducive to more laid back or calmer LPs, which I think can be underappreciated as a part of the channel.

I know they've said excitement plays a big part in who does what LPs, but I hope they also consider things like this when figuring out if an LP is viable.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I could have sworn part of it was post, and Invictus bringing it up just made me assume I was right.
It is, I asked matt about it I think in this very thread and he said they'd already played it.

Rodyle posted:

lol

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Rodyle posted:

Yeah... Well, at least they're informative! I doubt I would've figured out how to play Wonderful 101 without them.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah... Well, at least they're informative! I doubt I would've figured out how to play Wonderful 101 without them.

The secret is you have fun for awhile then go inside a building and get really annoyed.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Rodyle posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't wanna watch a solo Chip LP.

Rodyle posted:

The secret is you have fun for awhile then go inside a building and get really annoyed.

Ugh, that sounds like recess.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

It is, I asked matt about it I think in this very thread and he said they'd already played it.

That's...not what is meant by Post-Commentary.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

dark souls LP's are the worst and I hope they are a thing that stop existing forever

H A T T A M
Apr 21, 2016

Indecisive posted:

dark souls LP's are the worst and I hope they are a thing that stop existing forever

I like them. I'm terrible at souls games, I get really frustrated and end up quit playing forever. I still wanna see the game though so I watch LPs

E: I know it's not the proper way to experience games, especially a game series like Souls, but I'm actually godawful at them and can't git gud

H A T T A M fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jun 6, 2016

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Woe, Woolie dropping that Praise the Sun was actually originally Praise the Son and its original meaning got lost over time makes complete sense and is kind of blowing my mind.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I haven't watched it but taking a guess on the finale Pat notices SoC is the player character from 1 and marks out, the other two are just "ah".

Is that the idea of it?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So can anyone post a video of how the twin dragon set piece is supposed to play out?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I haven't watched it but taking a guess on the finale Pat notices SoC is the player character from 1 and marks out, the other two are just "ah".

Is that the idea of it?

It's more that Pat (correctly) realizes that the Soul of Cinder is composed of everyone who linked the fire, players and NPCs alike, and the other two go "that's cool", Pat is only really alone in marking out over phase 2.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://vt.tumblr.com/tumblr_o750kcWVlY1rkzk4w.mp4#_=_

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

this is incredible

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I love DS MP

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Gimmick PvP is a beautiful thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I love Woolie and Matt shutting Liam down about a crossbow training LP :allears:

glad they're done with this dungeon so the rod can go back to obscurity where it belongs

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jun 7, 2016