Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Would this work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

Would this work

the current on fire indicator looks better imo

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I finally got rocket man with 76. Learning to be patient about firing my rocket is HARD (especially against Tracer "okay, blink, blink, rewind, blink. NOW rocket?... gently caress, fight was long enough for get to get more blink"). Shame my aim against rapidly moving targets is still fairly garbage under pressure :downs: But I only need to shoot Lucio or Mercy JUST enough to let me pop them with a "close emough" rocket anyways.

Murphy's law means for every Phara even my middling aim can shoot out of the sky like it's duck hunt, is another one pulling sick side dodges away from my helix by conc blasting a nearby wall.

I am so loving garbage at trying to maneuver Phara with conc rockets. If I shoot a wall, nothing happens. If I shoot at my feet, either nothing happens or I get send hurtling backwards 50 loving feet. Feels like if I'm too far, or TOO CLOSE, nothing happens (Such as trying to shoot a wall in training from point blank, and gently caress all happening until I back off enough for it to start boosting me... and then slightly farter than that is back to gently caress all).

Meanwhile, I see other Pharas who are acting like they have maneuvering computers handling their 90 degree turns around corners :saddowns:

Tales of Woe posted:

love to repeatedly get gold medals for 10 seconds of objective time

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Genji players, any tips for dealing with Zarya as Genji? I can hold my own against all other characters but Zarya kicks my rear end.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

Teikanmi posted:

Yeah 76 is good but you also have to own the stigma....

Heh ok, buddy. Whatever you say.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

flashman posted:

Does it seem to anyone else the game is a bit on the small side for the price tag? I mean there's still microtransactions and it wasnt cheap to buy but there's only a handful of maps and game types. Have they said anything with regards to expanding the roster at all or what? Even if some of the maps were adapted to different game modes like a moving king of the hill for point accumulation it might alleviate a bit of the repetitive nature of the limited pool.

There'll be more maps and characters, and probably more modes and they'll all be free. There's also the ranked mode which is coming out this month that is going to add the try-hard dick-waving part of the game, which is pretty much the most satisfying progression part of the game.

el B posted:

Heh ok, buddy. Whatever you say.

Believe me as a Reaper main, I feel qualified to say I know characters with uninteresting concepts

Teikanmi fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 6, 2016

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I wish I'd kept the 10 second backlog thing going on ShadowPlay last night. I was playing Reinhardt on Gibraltar. A Tracer uses her blinks to get past my shield and puts a bomb on me. I turn 180 degrees to shield my team and the bomb goes off and kills only Tracer.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

76 is in my top 3 for sure. His speed + m1 damage + m2 rockets + healing ability make him so incredibly versatile.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Section Z posted:

I am so loving garbage at trying to maneuver Phara with conc rockets. If I shoot a wall, nothing happens. If I shoot at my feet, either nothing happens or I get send hurtling backwards 50 loving feet. Feels like if I'm too far, or TOO CLOSE, nothing happens (Such as trying to shoot a wall in training from point blank, and gently caress all happening until I back off enough for it to start boosting me... and then slightly farter than that is back to gently caress all).

Meanwhile, I see other Pharas who are acting like they have maneuvering computers handling their 90 degree turns around corners :saddowns:

Pharah's E (protip: rebind to RMB) is good for a quick push but because of the way air movement is handled in Overwatch, you're not going to get Tribes level of movement speed with it. It's good for a quick, short-range reposition movement and that's it.

Also, the behavior in the spawn room (where you are healed) and in the general map is different. You need to move out of the healing area if you want to practice rocket jumping or movement with your E.

One of the best signs of a good vs. bad Pharah is exactly what you describe: how they move in the air. You need good spacial awareness of what's around you and, very importantly, what's above you for when you hit your shift. When you get to be a good Pharah, you should be able to move around smoothly and quickly without clipping on corners, etc. It's hard, though, and definitely something that only comes with practice.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I wish I'd kept the 10 second backlog thing going on ShadowPlay last night. I was playing Reinhardt on Gibraltar. A Tracer uses her blinks to get past my shield and puts a bomb on me. I turn 180 degrees to shield my team and the bomb goes off and kills only Tracer.

The best is a Tracer throwing a sticky bomb on me when I'm a full health road hog, and hooking them right next to me. That's right Tracer, you used your ult to do nothing aside from kill yourself.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

keyframe posted:

Genji players, any tips for dealing with Zarya as Genji? I can hold my own against all other characters but Zarya kicks my rear end.

Not much. Your bread and butter combo a) doesn't kill her b) means you're getting in range of getting hosed up by the beam, and c) is telegraphed if she sees you coming and pops shield. Just leave her be and go find someone else.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

arbybaconator posted:

76 is in my top 3 for sure. His speed + m1 damage + m2 rockets + healing ability make him so incredibly versatile.

He also makes pubbie play a lot better b/c you are your own team. And I feel like I'm giving back when I plant a health station for the team's use.

Today as Reinhardt:

I, single handedly, got a hammer + triple kill to move us past a stuck point on 66. Not 5 minutes later a Torb player is complaining b/c he wants me to just shield his turret while the cart slowly rolls into a hail of fire. Someone on the other team barely edged me out and got PoTG. Really too bad b/c it would have been wonderful having the game prove me right.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Rirse posted:

Managed to get another Play of the Game as Mei. Not for the ultimate either, just rapid fire killing of half the enemy team.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSYs-2vzC5I

Did you intentionally cut that to sound like Mei of the Game? :zenpop:

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I've been searching but I cannot find that website with all the helpful ability breakdowns. It is a very well designed website and I cannot figure out why it doesn't have better search visibility but I guess the average noob doesn't care about the finer details.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Snazzy Frocks posted:

I've been searching but I cannot find that website with all the helpful ability breakdowns. It is a very well designed website and I cannot figure out why it doesn't have better search visibility but I guess the average noob doesn't care about the finer details.

http://www.owinfinity.com/en/

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

totalnewbie posted:

Pharah's E (protip: rebind to RMB) is good for a quick push but because of the way air movement is handled in Overwatch, you're not going to get Tribes level of movement speed with it. It's good for a quick, short-range reposition movement and that's it.

Also, the behavior in the spawn room (where you are healed) and in the general map is different. You need to move out of the healing area if you want to practice rocket jumping or movement with your E.

One of the best signs of a good vs. bad Pharah is exactly what you describe: how they move in the air. You need good spacial awareness of what's around you and, very importantly, what's above you for when you hit your shift. When you get to be a good Pharah, you should be able to move around smoothly and quickly without clipping on corners, etc. It's hard, though, and definitely something that only comes with practice.

Oh I was outside of the spawn area when trying. To make sure I wasn't imagining things when firing the rockets while point blank against a wall did gently caress all for me. I doubt I'll ever be maneuvers pro (I never was very good at it in Tribes either :downs:) but at least I know to ease up on the thrusters sometimes instead of floating like an attractive target until my gas runs out... Not that quick hop and empty the launcher salvos keep you alive any longer once somebody switches to Widow, but it certainly keeps my dumb as alive longer than I deserve quite frequently. Frequently is not always.

"I only have 34 health, but Zenya is coming by! I need healing!... No? Oh cool we also have a lucio. Buddy, help a rocket bro out!... You popped E for a speed buff on your way past... Okay fine I guess I can fall back for that health pack around the corner while everyone else is on the front lines while I'm faster" Phara died 2 feet away from a health pack with Tracer BB's fired directly up her rear end in a top hat. My own fault for getting hurt in the first place I guess :v:

Thanks for the reminder about character specific binds. Unrelated, is there any way to see ally healthbars as non supports? I want to be able to more intelligently help people out with soldier dad instead of trying to guess which teammate zigzagging in a firefight needs the immidate boost more. Or generally know which teammates need backup more.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

yes thank you

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Snazzy Frocks posted:

yes thank you

np. i've had that thing open in a browser tab for two weeks now, its nice to just be able to say "wait, how much damage does [thing] do exactly?" and look

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Xguard86 posted:

Today as Reinhardt:

I, single handedly, got a hammer + triple kill to move us past a stuck point on 66. Not 5 minutes later a Torb player is complaining b/c he wants me to just shield his turret while the cart slowly rolls into a hail of fire. Someone on the other team barely edged me out and got PoTG. Really too bad b/c it would have been wonderful having the game prove me right.

I refused to touch reinhardt for a week after a reaper asked me to keep a shield up so he could keep plinking away at a bastion from long range.

I told him never to play reaper again. I feel like this was a reasonable response.

Also then I found better people with whom to play reinhardt.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
if they are adding heroes can I get tracer with reaper's guns?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Overwatch what the gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZuDGin5bGk

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The game saw your team comp and was just trying to do you a favor.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I'm downloading a update for 1.03 but I can't find anything online about it am I missing something? Did this literally just drop?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Donnerberg posted:

Did you intentionally cut that to sound like Mei of the Game? :zenpop:

No but that is a great touch I didn't intend to do.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
It seems dumb to ragequit when you're losing because it denies you xp. Maybe people are doing it to salvage their win loss ratio but if that's the case it's something blizzard really needs to address

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Do quits count as a loss? They should if they don't.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

A gig for this? Meh

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Snazzy Frocks posted:

It seems dumb to ragequit when you're losing because it denies you xp. Maybe people are doing it to salvage their win loss ratio but if that's the case it's something blizzard really needs to address

Considering literally the only function of xp is to get you cosmetics it seems like an exceptionally minor penalty

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
If Reaper had added functionality to prevent people from being rezzed if he eats their souls first do you think that would increase his pick rate in pros or just push the healing meta even more towards lucio?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Isn't the live game on 1.04?

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I've been seeing a lot of crappy Symmetras out there and it makes me mad because I think she's my favorite. Don't just jam all your sentries in one place to guard the teleporter! Sure they'll kill someone that comes around the wrong corner but then that person can just come back and plink at them and there's a decent chance you'll never kill anyone at all if you just hole up in one place. Crap sentries everywhere, all the time. Try to never not fight under one. Use them as actual sentries -- one on every flank ingress then watch for them going off so you can greet people when they come around a corner with a fully charged ball. If you think you're going to fight someone in a couple seconds poop a sentry nearby. Put sentries on the roof! And on the bottom of moving platforms! Sentries! In the corners! Not just all around the point, Junkrat will kill them. Space 'em out! Also stick one or two in the little side rooms that have health packs so low HP people looking to top up get zorched.

Had someone bitch at me about picking Sym on a KOTH match and I got 30 eliminations, 20 from turrets. Eat it.

Still working on good teleport placement sometimes. Run into a problem where it funnels your whole team through one chokepoint then Reaper kills everyone. Derp.

Last night a Reaper I killed 4 times on Numbani A complimented me in all chat, which I don't think has ever happened to me in a multiplayer shooter.

Putting sentries on the street signs on Numbani is p. funny. putting them on the payload can also be hilarious but they get shot fast.

oh and reinharts never seem to know the ball goes through the shield.

anyway I like symmetra.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Snazzy Frocks posted:

If Reaper had added functionality to prevent people from being rezzed if he eats their souls first do you think that would increase his pick rate in pros or just push the healing meta even more towards lucio?

First one, then tha other.

NmareBfly posted:

I've been seeing a lot of crappy Symmetras out there

I had one troll pubbie Symmetra who positioned his teleporter such that if you went through it you went straight off a cliff. Pretty good joke actually.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 6, 2016

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

When does that mccree nerf hit again?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's actually not such a terrible strategy to put a bunch of forward turrets near the spawn right at the beginning. All it takes is one careless Reinhardt to run right past them and you'll get super quick ult meter. I had a teleporter up in the first 30 seconds of Anubis in my last game as Symmetra doing this.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

It's actually not such a terrible strategy to put a bunch of forward turrets near the spawn right at the beginning. All it takes is one careless Reinhardt to run right past them and you'll get super quick ult meter. I had a teleporter up in the first 30 seconds of Anubis in my last game as Symmetra doing this.

The problem is that you're delaying setting up an actual effective 'no go' zone if you do this. If you rush to the front you can easily have your 6th turret up by the time people are considering breaching a choke.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Huh, that's a good idea. I'd be worried they'd see me place them through the door or something, though. Just run up and put three somewhere unexpectedly close, then fall back to put the rest up as they come off cooldown, hope for quick TP. Will try.

E: ^- See, I think setting up a total denial 'no zone' is actually a mistake with her -- clustered turrets are very vulnerable to a single junkrat or winston attack. I like spreading them out all over.

Putting them under the lip of places people jump from is also good -- the overhead opening to the right of the main door in Hanamura A or the left on Volskaya. Always have a Genji or Hanzo trying to slip through and getting hosed up mid-air.

Is there a UI indication for Sym's gun power level that I haven't noticed? There are lights on the gun itself but it's hard to pay attention to that in the middle of a fight. I think she could use something by the reticle like Zarya's readout. Protip: charge it up on mei's wall if she drops one (but probably reload first).

Speaking of jumping and Volskaya, can you make the flank on the far left side from the attacker's spawn with anyone but D.Va or Pharah? I managed a few times in practice with Lucio but it was iffy and Winston's jump is just like a yard short.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 6, 2016

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Grapplejack posted:

When does that mccree nerf hit again?

Soon.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
You can make the Volskaya jump with Junkrat but it looks scary as hell to try

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

NmareBfly posted:

Speaking of jumping and Volskaya, can you make the flank on the far left side from the attacker's spawn with anyone but D.Va or Pharah? I managed a few times in practice with Lucio but it was iffy and Winston's jump is just like a yard short.

That was using Winston's big jump in midair, right? It seems odd he wouldn't be able to make it.

e:Winston is possible, you have to jump off the side of the map first, then activate his jump. It's probably one of the harder ones to pull off though.

also video of Junkrat making the Volskaya jump. It's very tough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VtS9G-_3VE

Bluhman fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jun 6, 2016