Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Gray Matter posted:

Can you expound on this? Shadow of Mordor is pretty much the most intensive game I play and I've been waffling about either building a new Skylake system or just putting a RX 480 in my current one (FX8350, HD7850 2Gb, 1080p).

It's all about your expectations. In your situation, I'd probably spring for an RX 480 / GTX 1060 (assuming it's a good value and out soon), and just turn up graphics details enough to make the GPU sweat. Your CPU will hold you back some, but as long as you're not expecting solid 60FPS it'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

$200 used 970s sounds pretty appealing to me at the moment. I've got a 750 TI and 3 monitors at 1080p, so it might be a good sweet spot. I don't play anything too graphically intensive (iRacing, Overwatch, Rocket League, and Borderlands 2) at the moment. I lean towards Nvidia for drivers and low power consumption since I have a 500w power supply. Is this dumb? Just seems to be a lot more bang for buck vs. $380 for a 1070, though not as future proof.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

xthetenth posted:

Heatpipe means heatpipe not lol solid metal tube, I'd be very surprised if one of the manufacturers was doing that especially considering how badly EVGA got slammed for leaving one empty and what those pipes are doing.

So that's why people are saying "
Simple tube", sorry I didn't get the joke about EVGA.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

wolrah posted:

Two warnings about DisplayPort:

1. DisplayPort can carry power, and if both the monitor and the GPU are trying to supply power strange things can happen. Look for a cable that does not have pin 20.
2. Some monitors (particularly Dells it seems) incorrectly implement the presence signal and stop sending it when they're turned off, resulting in Windows thinking the monitor was disconnected which causes your desktop icons, window arrangement, and/or multi-monitor configuration to get hosed up.

The cable problem is obviously relatively easy to solve, but the misbehaving monitor one is out of your hands. It might be fixable with a firmware update, but that assumes the monitor even supports firmware updates or that the vendor gives a poo poo.

Actually it is a problem with non conforming cables.

Only accell actually makes vesa certified cables

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Larrymer posted:

$200 used 970s sounds pretty appealing to me at the moment. I've got a 750 TI and 3 monitors at 1080p, so it might be a good sweet spot. I don't play anything too graphically intensive (iRacing, Overwatch, Rocket League, and Borderlands 2) at the moment. I lean towards Nvidia for drivers and low power consumption since I have a 500w power supply. Is this dumb? Just seems to be a lot more bang for buck vs. $380 for a 1070, though not as future proof.

It seems to be a reasonable performance level to target, but don't lean to a brand based on a property of individual cards such as power consumption. A 480 had really better be considerably more power efficient than a 970.

Krogort posted:

So that's why people are saying "
Simple tube", sorry I didn't get the joke about EVGA.

EVGA a while back decided that because their cooler was enough to cool the card they could be lazy about reusing one of their coolers, and there were pictures of one of their coolers with the end missing from one of their heat pipes.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jun 6, 2016

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Larrymer posted:

Between a 200$ 970 and a 200$ RX480, I'd pick the RX480 TBH. A 970 is completely tapped out in potential while an RX480 is just starting out (and knowing AMD by mid 2017 will have 20% more performance than a 980 because :drivers:). An RX480 is also way more future proof, and both will basically suck up the same amount of power from what we know. A new RX480 will also have warranty, a used 970 needs to be EVGA IIRC to still be under warranty.

Also since like mid 2015 AMD drivers have been decidedly not poo poo, just don't install Raptr and use OBS for your recording needs (until someone at AMD pulls their head out of their rear end on streaming/recording).

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Good point, thanks.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
That said, please wait for benchmarks and reviews. They should drop roughly the same day so it shouldn't be too much a worry, but just make sure.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

FaustianQ posted:

Between a 200$ 970 and a 200$ RX480, I'd pick the RX480 TBH. A 970 is completely tapped out in potential while an RX480 is just starting out (and knowing AMD by mid 2017 will have 20% more performance than a 980 because :drivers:). An RX480 is also way more future proof, and both will basically suck up the same amount of power from what we know. A new RX480 will also have warranty, a used 970 needs to be EVGA IIRC to still be under warranty.

Also since like mid 2015 AMD drivers have been decidedly not poo poo, just don't install Raptr and use OBS for your recording needs (until someone at AMD pulls their head out of their rear end on streaming/recording).

i was pretty pleased with AMD's response to just cause 3 drivers-wise. the game was effectively unplayable at launch (for me, at least) until AMD released updated drivers, but it only took like a day.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
its good to hear positive things about AMD drivers tbh. It was not good for quite a while.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Malcolm XML posted:

You are correct that the cables aren't supposed to have the pin unless they're captive or hard-wired to a device that uses the power system, but also the source devices providing the power aren't supposed to start sending it unless they see a certain resistance value across pins 13 and 14 so it shouldn't be a big deal to use a noncompliant cable.

I think one thing we can definitely agree on with DisplayPort is that a lot of vendors are bad at implementing the spec correctly.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
DP cables, USB C cables. Why is it so loving hard to make a tube with wires inside of it.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

FaustianQ posted:

I finally took the plunge and tried the Plays.tv app they split off from Raptr/Gaming Evolved/etc. that comes bundled and it's been treating me pretty well for basic similar what I imagine Shadowplay to be like. I disabled the Raptr stuff from running at startup. The separate Plays.tv client stays running all the time, auto records at 720p/30fps/10Mb/s whenever I play a game, and has hotkeys for flagging the oh poo poo moments. Workable clip editing and I think uploading to Twitch/Youtube/etc. Besides that OBS fork or whatever I wanna say it's the only app that uses hardware encoding for AMD. Think my biggest annoyance is the auto record buffer doesn't roll over, so if you set it to capture high quality and don't give it a lot of hard drive space to work with, it only captures that first 20-30 minutes or whatever. I've moved to only SSDs, so had to balance by doing the above medium settings and giving it 10 gigs of space which comes to a 2 hour 13 minute capture time. Haven't noticed a performance impact on a 7970 at 1440p.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

teh_Broseph posted:

I finally took the plunge and tried the Plays.tv app they split off from Raptr/Gaming Evolved/etc. that comes bundled and it's been treating me pretty well for basic similar what I imagine Shadowplay to be like. I disabled the Raptr stuff from running at startup. The separate Plays.tv client stays running all the time, auto records at 720p/30fps/10Mb/s whenever I play a game, and has hotkeys for flagging the oh poo poo moments. Workable clip editing and I think uploading to Twitch/Youtube/etc. Besides that OBS fork or whatever I wanna say it's the only app that uses hardware encoding for AMD. Think my biggest annoyance is the auto record buffer doesn't roll over, so if you set it to capture high quality and don't give it a lot of hard drive space to work with, it only captures that first 20-30 minutes or whatever. I've moved to only SSDs, so had to balance by doing the above medium settings and giving it 10 gigs of space which comes to a 2 hour 13 minute capture time. Haven't noticed a performance impact on a 7970 at 1440p.

I used it quite a bit on my 290 back when I had it and it always worked fine with no impact. I know a lot of people don't like the raptr stuff, but the actual game recorder works great IME

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Somewhat recently they completely split it off from Raptr, which helped push me into actually taking a look (hi I'm the dumb consumer that didn't even have a good reason to skip it before). The Playstv client isn't even AMD branded or anything at all.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Don Lapre posted:

DP cables, USB C cables. Why is it so loving hard to make a tube with wires inside of it.

Specs are often really poorly written and a pain to interpret, and there's always management trying to get them to shave parts out to save cents if it wouldn't make it break in most cases.

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

its good to hear positive things about AMD drivers tbh. It was not good for quite a while.

They seem to have been getting good at release/first week drivers, it's not bad at all.

Paiz
Jan 14, 2004
I've been using dual 290s for a while and in the last 6 months AMDs driver release cycle has been nuts. They've gotta be averaging a driver update every 2-3 weeks. It all started with Crimson although there was a really annoying downclocking bug they let sit in there for several months (which was finally fixed a month or two ago).

AMD has really been getting their poo poo together lately, hopefully their higher end stuff can compete.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD

Gray Matter posted:

Can you expound on this? Shadow of Mordor is pretty much the most intensive game I play and I've been waffling about either building a new Skylake system or just putting a RX 480 in my current one (FX8350, HD7850 2Gb, 1080p).

Shadow of Mordor claims to need 6GB of Vram to run ultra HD textures. This was one of the games that helped set off the 3.5GB + 0.5GB debacle with the GTX 970.

Just for reference here are some links and numbers I pulled off Guru3d because they are one of the few reviewers who consistently check for Vram usage.

Total War Warhammer 1080p Ultra - 2.5GB
Hitman 1080p Best Quality - 3.5GB
The Division 1080p High - 3GB
Annon 2205 1080p Ultra - 2.3GB
Rise of the Tomb Raider 1080p Ultra - 3GB
Fallout 4 1080p Ultra - 1.7GB
Witcher 3 1080p Ultra - 1.3gb

Edit: Intensive doesn't mean it'll have a higher Vram requirement. It's a question of how well did the studio optimize for the PC.

Tanreall fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 6, 2016

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Apparently some more Thunderbolt GPU boxes were announced at Computex.

ASUS added it to theirs: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/asus-rog-xg-station-2-gpu-dock-usb-c,31983.html
Gigabyte (hell I think they showed this years ago with TB1): http://www.tomshardware.com/news/gigabyte-external-gpu-dock,31984.html
PowerColor (with a drive bay) says theirs will cost less than the Razer: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/powercolor-devil-box-gpu-dock,31971.html

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Tanreall posted:

Shadow of Mordor claims to need 6GB of Vram to run ultra HD textures. This was one of the games that helped set off the 3.5GB + 0.5GB debacle with the GTX 970.

Just for reference here are some links and numbers I pulled off Guru3d because they are one of the few reviewers who consistently check for Vram usage.

Total War Warhammer 1080p Ultra - 2.5GB
Hitman 1080p Best Quality - 3.5GB
The Division 1080p High - 3GB
Annon 2205 1080p Ultra - 2.3GB
Rise of the Tomb Raider 1080p Ultra - 3GB
Fallout 4 1080p Ultra - 1.7GB
Witcher 3 1080p Ultra - 1.3gb

Edit: Intensive doesn't mean it'll have a higher Vram requirement. It's a question of how well did the studio optimize for the PC.

This is really eye opening for me, and drives home that 4GB is an appropriate amount of VRAM for something in the 970/980 ballpark like the RX 480 hopes to be.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

This is really eye opening for me, and drives home that 4GB is an appropriate amount of VRAM for something in the 970/980 ballpark like the RX 480 hopes to be.

The only other game I can think of that uses over 4 GB VRAM without some really nuts settings is rise of the tomb raider, and that game actually uses VRAM and RAM semi interchangeably for a lot of data and runs fine on a Fury.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Don Lapre posted:

What amazes me is that they generally get what seems like it would be the hard part correct, making the data lines able to accurately carry gigabits per second without enough crosstalk to cause a problem, then they gently caress up simple things like connecting one extra pin (DisplayPort) or reversing power/ground and using the wrong resistors (USB-C).

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

wolrah posted:

What amazes me is that they generally get what seems like it would be the hard part correct, making the data lines able to accurately carry gigabits per second without enough crosstalk to cause a problem, then they gently caress up simple things like connecting one extra pin (DisplayPort) or reversing power/ground and using the wrong resistors (USB-C).

Corner case testing is hard and so is reading the entirety of a spec. Nobody is going to ship a product that fails the basic use case, but they sure can skimp on testing any other cases or making sure you're fully compliant.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Malcolm XML posted:

Is this legit? I will absolutely start buying them over the usual Monoprice ones if this is the case. (Just one less headache to deal with when diagnosing video issues.)

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Oops, DP.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

wolrah posted:

2. Some monitors (particularly Dells it seems) incorrectly implement the presence signal and stop sending it when they're turned off, resulting in Windows thinking the monitor was disconnected which causes your desktop icons, window arrangement, and/or multi-monitor configuration to get hosed up.

This is a dell issue? I thought this was just an issue with my bog-standard korean monitor, then when I got the dell I just thought it was an issue endemic to Win10. ffs

e: i like that the official dell advice to fix this for their 4k monitor is to make it refresh at 30hz. lmao. http://www.dell.com/support/Article/us/en/19/SLN295708/EN

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 6, 2016

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I have the 10ft acell displayport cables and they will flicker on and off about once every 6 or so hours when I use them at 1440p@144hz. This didn't happen with the shorter bizlink cable that comes with XB271HU (my understanding is that the acell cables are rebranded bizlink cables, anyways). I think 10ft is the upper limit of that pixelclock for displayport, and I've read even worse experiences with other 10ft cables at that bandwidth. Unfortunately, 6ft is just slightly too short for my sit-stand desk arrangement. Wish they made like a 8ft displayport 1.2 cable.

It's not really that big a deal though, since the monitor just loses signal for a fraction of a second and it only happens every few hours.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

xthetenth posted:

The only other game I can think of that uses over 4 GB VRAM without some really nuts settings is rise of the tomb raider, and that game actually uses VRAM and RAM semi interchangeably for a lot of data and runs fine on a Fury.

It'll be interesting to see how the 480 4GB and 8GB compare to one another.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I have the 10ft acell displayport cables and they will flicker on and off about once every 6 or so hours when I use them at 1440p@144hz. This didn't happen with the shorter bizlink cable that comes with XB271HU (my understanding is that the acell cables are rebranded bizlink cables, anyways). I think 10ft is the upper limit of that pixelclock for displayport, and I've read even worse experiences with other 10ft cables at that bandwidth. Unfortunately, 6ft is just slightly too short for my sit-stand desk arrangement. Wish they made like a 8ft displayport 1.2 cable.

It's not really that big a deal though, since the monitor just loses signal for a fraction of a second and it only happens every few hours.

I get something similar with a samsung 144p display and a 10ft monoprice cable. It will black out for a second and then come back once everytime i wake the computer, usually a few minutes after it wakes.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Is this legit? I will absolutely start buying them over the usual Monoprice ones if this is the case. (Just one less headache to deal with when diagnosing video issues.)

Vesa has a list of hardware that's allowed to use the dp logo on their site

If monoprice is there then it should be good

http://www.displayport.org/cables/how-to-choose-a-displayport-cable-and-not-get-a-bad-one/

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

People have 4k monitors now. The future is now

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Generic Monk posted:

This is a dell issue? I thought this was just an issue with my bog-standard korean monitor, then when I got the dell I just thought it was an issue endemic to Win10. ffs

e: i like that the official dell advice to fix this for their 4k monitor is to make it refresh at 30hz. lmao. http://www.dell.com/support/Article/us/en/19/SLN295708/EN

It does seem to be a Dell issue, but it also seems to have the most impact on Windows 10. It actually causes Surface Pro 3s on W10 to occasionally BSOD when entering or exiting sleep mode if the monitor is plugged in. Of course none of the people affected by this at my work are willing to replace their Dell monitors or Surface.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Hungry Computer posted:

It does seem to be a Dell issue, but it also seems to have the most impact on Windows 10. It actually causes Surface Pro 3s on W10 to occasionally BSOD when entering or exiting sleep mode if the monitor is plugged in. Of course none of the people affected by this at my work are willing to replace their Dell monitors or Surface.

Yeah, win10 seems to be really sensitive to it. Even 8 was more respectful, same with OSX.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Pretty sure there's an option in the monitor menu to make it so it doesn't disconnect ever time you turn it off or it goes to sleep. Or at least the 27" one I have can, I don't know about the older 2412ms because those are still hooked up with dvi

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

xthetenth posted:

Corner case testing is hard and so is reading the entirety of a spec. Nobody is going to ship a product that fails the basic use case, but they sure can skimp on testing any other cases or making sure you're fully compliant.
None of the things I mentioned are corner cases though. A corner case for a cable would be something like a weird resonance that only happens when the data clock is running at a certain rate, thus only affecting a very specific set of resolution/refresh rate combinations. That would be entirely reasonable to get past a low-grade QC check. The examples I gave are only one step above the most basic functional testing.

Generic Monk posted:

It's not a Dell issues specifically, rather likely an issue with a specific kind of DP controller used in many monitors, but Dells seem to make up a large number of the complaints you'll see about this issue online (probably because they're popular).

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.
The wait for a 1070 is starting to kill me. It'll probably still be another month or two before I can reasonably buy an OEM board for MSRP. But man will it be worth it, comparing a GTX 770 to a GTX 1070 and I'm seeing anywhere between a 2x-4x increase in performance depending on the game.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I'm still waiting for a 1080 I'd actually want. With the reported supply delays we have slipped into full on paper launch at this point. Oh welll

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Reviewers reporting Mirror's Edge stuttering like hell issues with Pascal cards, whereas Maxwell are fine. Further details to come.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

I dont think you can really change to a paper launch after its actually been released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
If I have a SFF case that would be better off with a blower instead of an open air cooler should I just get the 1080 Founders Edition instead of waiting for an aftermarket version? It looks like most of the aftermarket cards come with open air coolers.