Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Ramadu posted:

What the heck is this

I just clicked on his post history because I got curious what the heck and apparently he lives in my area (went to Levis for Copa Americana) and thinks Chip Kelly is a pedophile (????????????????????????????????)

also his only posts outside of Games and Ray Parlour are this thread so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Spoeank posted:

I just clicked on his post history because I got curious what the heck and apparently he lives in my area (went to Levis for Copa Americana) and thinks Chip Kelly is a pedophile (????????????????????????????????)

Clearly an agent for the powerful peppercorn lobby.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I do like that 99 percent of the comments are yelling bullshit.

KFBR392
Jan 21, 2016

by Cowcaster

Spoeank posted:

K thanks for that summary you bunghole, now how about you tell me who should get the difference between sale price and market price of an in-demand ticket, and why?

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

KFBR392 posted:

K thanks for that summary you bunghole, now how about you tell me who should get the difference between sale price and market price of an in-demand ticket, and why?

The owner of the ticket. Because it's his or her property to sell for perceived value.

KFBR392
Jan 21, 2016

by Cowcaster

Captain Internet posted:

The owner of the ticket. Because it's his or her property to sell for perceived value.

Yeah yeah yeah, sure. Good simple and crisp statement. Idea sounds good and just.

But when every concert ticket sells for "45" and goes on the market for "400," and the owners mostly received such tickets through institutional advantages or weird back channel arrangements, do you not see even a little bit of a possible correction to be made?

Btw I'm not sure if you're up on current legal stuff but tickets aren't necessarily property in the way you're thinking.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

KFBR392 posted:

Yeah yeah yeah, sure. Good simple and crisp statement. Idea sounds good and just.

But when every concert ticket sells for "45" and goes on the market for "400," and the owners mostly received such tickets through institutional advantages or weird back channel arrangements, do you not see even a little bit of a possible correction to be made?

Btw I'm not sure if you're up on current legal stuff but tickets aren't necessarily property in the way you're thinking.

:rolleyes: personal seat licenses then.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

KFBR392 posted:

Peter Thiel should get all of the difference.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Inspector_666 posted:

Peter Thiel should get all of the difference.

Agreed. What a noble and bright man.

And the seats I have the SBL for for the Super Bowl were on stubhub for 30x face value and I didn't even get a chance to buy them because of the way the ticket distribution process works (less than 5% of the seats actually went up for sale, IIRC). So whoever should get the opportunity to resell them definitely shouldn't be that guy.

And if the resale market can bear $499 for $45 seats maybe just maybe those aren't $45 seats and the venue should rethink the ticket price.

KFBR392
Jan 21, 2016

by Cowcaster

Spoeank posted:

Agreed. What a noble and bright man.

And the seats I have the SBL for for the Super Bowl were on stubhub for 30x face value and I didn't even get a chance to buy them because of the way the ticket distribution process works (less than 5% of the seats actually went up for sale, IIRC). So whoever should get the opportunity to resell them definitely shouldn't be that guy.

And if the resale market can bear $499 for $45 seats maybe just maybe those aren't $45 seats and the venue should rethink the ticket price.

So we agree on stuff and you kinda agree with the Ticketmaster dipshit who wrote the article.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

speaking of The Ringer, I really like their NBA stuff, very reminiscent of Grantland. wish Goldsberry and Lowe had jumped with Simmons but alas

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
There's a really big difference between tickets to the Super Bowl and tickets to some random midweek MLB game. It's the stuff the Yankees are doing to artificially inflate their ticket prices that pisses me off.

KFBR392
Jan 21, 2016

by Cowcaster

ElwoodCuse posted:

There's a really big difference between tickets to the Super Bowl and tickets to some random midweek MLB game. It's the stuff the Yankees are doing to artificially inflate their ticket prices that pisses me off.

Yeah that's bad and it is also totally different from the concert and in-demand ticket situation that was being discussed in the article. The only thing they scenarios have in common is the end buyer is hosed big-time!!!!

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Carlosologist posted:

speaking of The Ringer, I really like their NBA stuff, very reminiscent of Grantland. wish Goldsberry and Lowe had jumped with Simmons but alas

Goldsberry's working for the Spurs now and I'd have to imagine even if Grantland was still around he'd have gone with that job

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

UFC threw out Ariel Helwani mid-event and banned him for life because, well they're the UFC

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

So Jon Heyman, lately of CBS Sports and before that, Sports Illustrated, has a new gig. He now writes for, uhhh, FanRag? Seriously?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The Stacks have a fantastic collection of articles about Ali from his career, including some fantastic stuff by Dick Schapp

Hamilton Nolan did a fantastic piece about his nearly suicidal in-ring style too

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Welp, The Ringer jumped the shark in record time https://theringer.com/jennifer-garner-capital-one-commercials-are-best-show-on-tv-94480055758d#.2psnijx9a

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

holy poo poo :stare:

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

quote:

Perhaps nothing captures the meta end of this short con as well as Sofia Coppola’s Lost in Translation. In Lost, an American movie star named Bob Harris (Bill Murray, who [vapes deeply] seemed old when I first watched this but seems young when I watch it now) absconds to Tokyo to shoot a commercial for the Japanese whiskey brand Suntory. Suntory pays him $2 million — though his sale feels more [vapes even more deeply] existential.

[vapes deepest of all] Great website you got here Simmons, big success.

E: I kept reading and he did in fact say "[VAPES THE ABSOLUTE MOST DEEPLY]" later. Dang.

projecthalaxy fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 6, 2016

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
That piece is like a zillion words long. It just keeps going and going and going. Jesus Christ.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

As a matter of course I'm down for more writers to write for more sites because there are infinite stories waiting to be told.

That Capitol One thing is the exception to the rule.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lol I didn't realize they tag their stories by how long it takes to read them, that's a new one

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

DJExile posted:

lol I didn't realize they tag their stories by how long it takes to read them, that's a new one

Medium does that on all of its sites I think.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

projecthalaxy posted:

VAPES THE ABSOLUTE MOST DEEPLY
Hey, this isn't the namechange thread, pal.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Reminder, this is written by the same ding-dong who said the Fargo tv show is bad.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Either it's a poorly disguised "sponsored content" article (in which case they should be disclosing loud and clear, or at least take the piss out of it like The Onion does), or it's a really labored, unfunny parody of TV show "thinkpieces." Either way, there's no reason for this to exist.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Troy Queef posted:

Medium does that on all of its sites I think.

aaaah, then I just missed it.

General E
Aug 25, 2003

Benne posted:

Either it's a poorly disguised "sponsored content" article (in which case they should be disclosing loud and clear, or at least take the piss out of it like The Onion does), or it's a really labored, unfunny parody of TV show "thinkpieces." Either way, there's no reason for this to exist.

I think it is so much worse BECAUSE it isn't sponsored! At least then there is a reason they'd put it in the site.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Seems like he kind of was working for UFC. His cries of "journalistic integrity" ring a bit hollow now.

http://deadspin.com/blackballed-mma-reporter-admits-he-was-ufcs-paid-shill-1780851837

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Niwrad posted:

Seems like he kind of was working for UFC. His cries of "journalistic integrity" ring a bit hollow now.

http://deadspin.com/blackballed-mma-reporter-admits-he-was-ufcs-paid-shill-1780851837

He worked on a UFC preshow on Fox Sports.

He got canned from that job months ago because UFC didn't like his reporting on Rory MacDonald being in a contract dispute with UFC and would likely be a free agent after his June fight.

He hasn't been one to tow the UFC company line.

Veshpo
May 23, 2016

exploding mummy posted:

He got canned from that job months ago because UFC didn't like his reporting on Rory MacDonald being in a contract dispute with UFC and would likely be a free agent after his June fight.

I'm sorry, I can't help myself, it's "toe the line"

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Niwrad posted:

hahaha jesus, that is bad

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

exploding mummy posted:

His interview makes it seem like he did toe the company line. Making sure questions he asked were pre-approved. He seems to have failed to report on being physically assaulted for asking a question.

I mean UFC is the bad guy in the whole thing but Helwani wasn't exactly some independent journalist.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Veshpo posted:

I'm sorry, I can't help myself, it's "toe the line"

You were champing at the bit for that correction.

Veshpo
May 23, 2016

exploding mummy posted:

You were champing at the bit for that correction.

Full disclosure, I had to look it up to make sure I hadn't been thinking it wrong the whole time. I also learned that that phenomenon (tow the line, chomping at the bit, duck tape) is called an eggcorn, so thanks for that.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/PardonMyTake/status/739960690673352704

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lmao

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Hahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU