Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

What is this from? Pro use of Roundabout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

it is from the video game "dark souls 3"

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

DatonKallandor posted:

Remember Archdragon Peak is a meditation state, not stuff that's literally happening. How you carry items out of it....magic I guess (same way you carried items out of the past in DS2 and DS3 and out of a nightmare in BB).

Whoa wait a minute this flew completely over my head. Mind elaborating a little?

Also, with all the great use of choirs in the soundtrack, has anyone figured if they're resorting to the usual fake rythmic gibberish or is it in a real language? Just curiosity.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

mortons stork posted:

Whoa wait a minute this flew completely over my head. Mind elaborating a little?

Also, with all the great use of choirs in the soundtrack, has anyone figured if they're resorting to the usual fake rythmic gibberish or is it in a real language? Just curiosity.

The Path of the Dragon stuff is all about meditating on how super cool dragons are. It's bright and sunny in Archdragon Peak, unlike everywhere else. Also if you attack the bodies by where you have to do the emote, they bleed. There's probably more.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

mortons stork posted:

To get to Archdragon Peak, your character sits down in a meditation posture, his head sinks, fade to black, suddenly he's at Archdragon Peak. No giant crow or public transit demons to carry him there or anything, just straight up fade to black and he's there. It seems pretty clear that Archdragon Peak, like Firelink/Cemetery, is some kind of pocket dimension/dream and you're not literally going there, whatever that means.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

mortons stork posted:

The way you get there is by meditating and fading to black. You don't get transported there, you're suddenly in a new place. Where the time of day and weather is completely different and can change by pulling a lever. Also many of the archdragon peak related items talk about it being meditation based (just think about how cool dragons are until you turn into one).

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

probably the weirdest thing to me re: archdragon peak is that ornsteins armor and spear are there but theres no corpse in the area

my theory: ornstein is chain snake, the most powerful dragon of them all

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

The spear was a gate all along it seems

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Yeah but why do you kill Gwyn's son there then and why can you see Lothric and Anor Londo in the distance.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
How did Gwyn's son get there then? Is the place maintained by his presence? How did Ornstein get there? If it's a dream, why do you die and respawn at the bonfire instead of getting kicked out? Why are there hostile enemies in this dream? Why are there dead dragons in a dream about cool dragons? Why do you clearly see Archdragon Peak at various locations in the rest of the game world?

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

none of that negates it being a dream world

everything in this series has always operated on dream logic

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
But then you can just warp there and back from that point onwards - I don't buy it.

And the weather or time of day doesn't make sense anywhere in the game - for instance, go to the Farron Keep bonfire, go outside and it's nighttime. But, if you climb up the stairs, you're bathed in glorious autumn afternoon forest haze. Walk from the Vordt bonfire to the Consumed King's Garden, which is like 300 yards, and you go from day to night. I'm not going to include Untended Graves for obvious reasons, because who knows wtf is going on there. My point is that nodding off and ending up in Archdragon Peak is just another lovely teleportation gimmick common to Dark Souls games. Why you end up respawning at the 2nd bonfire after killing the Ancient Wyvern is more of a mystery to me than the meditation warp. And how you warp from the 3rd Lord of Cinder fight directly to Dead Emma and the Aquatic Dancer fight is just obnoxious.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Judging by the bell sound, you literally get summoned by one of those snake dragon shaman summoner magic casuals.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Cyberventurer posted:

Adjusted the attack power and skills of fist and claw weapons.
Adjusted the skills of twin blade weapons.
Adjusted casting speed, stamina consumption, cancel timing of some Spells.

These are the ones that are particularly interesting to me. Maybe the Caestus will ride again?! Will punching return to its former glory?! Also, claws not being useless would also be nice, they'd be fun on a bleed build if they were not garbage.

Since one of the biggest issues plaguing spells is that many are simply too slow to utilize properly, I'm cautiously eager about the cast speed changes.

Dunno what the heck they mean by "adjusted the skills". Do they mean the weapon arts?

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

Gologle posted:

Judging by the bell sound, you literally get summoned by one of those snake dragon shaman summoner magic casuals.

Best answer so far.

Although the dream state thing is a big part of this series.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
The answer is that the world is breaking apart at the seams and poo poo is crazy like that. What happens after the thrones get filled is the real world (specifically what you turn it into with what you did by putting them on their thrones), had it been an ordinary on-rails no going back game that would have been it for your progress, where it all ends and you hopefully choose the righteous awesome ending that snuffs the flame and puts an end to it for good on that planet.

That Havel is just another cookiecutter lameass in Havel's gear to reference all the players who wore it.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

Just finished my 2h no shield run. Tons of fun. I used lucatiel mask with leonhard armor and lucerne -> demon's greataxe -> gundyr's halberd. I did all the cool npc quests too, anri's happy ending + siegward + sirris.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
A shame From does patch notes in cryptic riddles. The Claws have reasonable damage already, they're rough because they don't have phantom range or really any horizontal presence and they're still slower than a straight sword swipe or rapier poke. The weapon art is OK, you can leap over a lot of heavy weapon strikes and such with it.

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.

Gologle posted:

They really missed a great opportunity for a ratbro style covenant there.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

Jaaam posted:

Not to mention a perfect way to include a fantastic game-world rationale for a bunch of players that play the game purely for the 1v1 dueling instead of ruining the invasion & Aldritch Faithful PVP at the area right after the Pontiff fight.

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
Would be a good arena type thing too.

I have a theory that all the mountains surrounding Lothric are piles of super old decomposed dragon corpses. Pretty much just because I think it's kinda cool, and that huge dragon corpse off in the distance at AP kinda looks like it's merging into/becoming a mountain. Besides, the Dark Souls universe doesn't seem like the kind of place that has plate tectonics. :shrug:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Jaaam posted:

Yeah there's almost like there was supposed to be some kind of covenant about...I dunno, DRAGONS or something crazy like that but there isn't.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Did Oceiros not meditate enough or did he meditate too much

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Gologle posted:

How did Gwyn's son get there then? Is the place maintained by his presence? How did Ornstein get there? If it's a dream, why do you die and respawn at the bonfire instead of getting kicked out? Why are there hostile enemies in this dream? Why are there dead dragons in a dream about cool dragons? Why do you clearly see Archdragon Peak at various locations in the rest of the game world?

The place is still there, but it's just a frozen ruin on some lovely mountains, and you visit an idealized dream version of it. That's the theory, anyway.

Really, though, the series tells you over and over that space fuckery and timey-wimey bullshit is the order of the day. The fire is fading, it brought with it the concept of disparity, the world was "formless" before it, and Emma describes the lands as "churning" and "converging." The concept of going to a specific place at a specific time using a preplanned route is obsolete in Dark Souls' very slow version of the apocalypse. Like how far-off places are always "north" in these games.

Jaaam posted:

I have a theory that all the mountains surrounding Lothric are piles of super old decomposed dragon corpses. Pretty much just because I think it's kinda cool, and that huge dragon corpse off in the distance at AP kinda looks like it's merging into/becoming a mountain. Besides, the Dark Souls universe doesn't seem like the kind of place that has plate tectonics. :shrug:

I like this.

MrLonghair posted:

The answer is that the world is breaking apart at the seams and poo poo is crazy like that. What happens after the thrones get filled is the real world (specifically what you turn it into with what you did by putting them on their thrones), had it been an ordinary on-rails no going back game that would have been it for your progress, where it all ends and you hopefully choose the righteous awesome ending that snuffs the flame and puts an end to it for good on that planet.

I like to think that Dark Souls doesn't take place on a planet. Like, a layered cosmos with the firmament below, the world extending on an infinite plane, the heavens above. This layering concept is repeated in Bloodborne, which obviously takes place during the coming age of the deep that Aldrich foresaw, and furthermore

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Archdragon Peak is peaceful, its inhabitants kind, and it is ruled over by a mighty dragon-person named...King.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Gologle posted:

at the very least this is 100% what happens after you kill ancient wyvern since you get the summoning anim+glyph those guys have and bell sound too

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

What a perfect opportunity to adjust the parameter wasted. At least they finally got around to the long-awaited fix to the bug.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.
http://i.imgur.com/HYiOaw7.webm

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Did he really red sign him and then push him off the cliff at spawn? That's rude :mad:

e: I'm just guessing he was a red sign because of the message "Dark spirit summoned" rather than "Invaded by dark spirit."

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

Did he really red sign him and then push him off the cliff at spawn? That's rude :mad:

e: I'm just guessing he was a red sign because of the message "Dark spirit summoned" rather than "Invaded by dark spirit."

It was a red sign but the invader could've rolled out three times but choose to try and swing instead.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
What is "phantom range." Is it lag, is it a specific measurable thing, is it an urban legend, or what? People keep saying the straight swords have "phantom range" but I tried swinging one with the camera oriented sideways and i didn't see it hitting monsters without physically touching them. It does have way longer range than you think it will but it looked to me like that is because your guy hops forward a whole character length on the first R1.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

the hitbox of some weapons, notably all straight swords, is significantly longer than the actual ingame model.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Domattee posted:

It was a red sign but the invader could've rolled out three times but choose to try and swing instead.

Attacking him right as he's spawning in is a real shitbox thing to do considering red sign PvP is 100% voluntary.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

GulagDolls posted:

the hitbox of some weapons, notably all straight swords, is significantly longer than the actual ingame model.

This is not phantom range, however (or at least how it is traditionally used). In previous games, which did not have any of the weapons extend beyond their models (to my knowledge), phantom range just referred to the multiplayer thing where, due to latency, your opponent's weapons would appear to have extended reach. This problem is compounded with longer weapons, which is why the washing pole tends to be so infamous.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

RyokoTK posted:

He was probably afk so its not even a funny clip.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Genocyber posted:

This is not phantom range, however (or at least how it is traditionally used). In previous games, which did not have any of the weapons extend beyond their models (to my knowledge), phantom range just referred to the multiplayer thing where, due to latency, your opponent's weapons would appear to have extended reach. This problem is compounded with longer weapons, which is why the washing pole tends to be so infamous.

Supposedly DS1 also had the extended hitboxes, but not nearly to the same degree as in DS3, and the extension was much more consistent between weapon classes.

e: Also apparently the Washing Pole hitbox in DS3 tracks pretty closely to the physical model, so the patch might bring it in line with other katanas and also give it a comically oversized hitbox.

Domattee fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 7, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The endings of all the npc quests are a bit of a bummer. "Then they went hollow and/or died" is the good end. :v:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is there even an NPC quest in this game that doesn't end with them dying? All I can think of is Irina but her good ending is hardly pleasant.

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
Well they die after fulfilling their life's ambition/duty, so it's kinda bittersweet. Except Greirat, that poo poo's just depressing from start to finish. Heavens :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Is there even an NPC quest in this game that doesn't end with them dying? All I can think of is Irina but her good ending is hardly pleasant.

Make her a fire keeper then put out the first flame. :haw: