Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

That looks good. I have a feeling Action Comics under Jurgens will be "Good" never bad. Never great. A good, solid run.

Is Luthor a good guy? I'm confused by what he did in Nu52

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

Is Luthor a good guy? I'm confused by what he did in Nu52

He won the day in Forever Evil and worked with the Justice League in the final run from issue #30.
In the Darkseid War, he got warped up to Apokolips, found a tribe of Apokoliptians who were prophesied to be led by Superman and went "That's me!" They gave him that suit and a Mother Box that somehow he made say "Lex" instead of "ping."

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

He won the day in Forever Evil and worked with the Justice League in the final run from issue #30.
In the Darkseid War, he got warped up to Apokolips, found a tribe of Apokoliptians who were prophesied to be led by Superman and went "That's me!" They gave him that suit and a Mother Box that somehow he made say "Lex" instead of "ping."

Has he shown any indication of the evil scheming Lex?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
So he's good in the same way Doom is over at Marvel?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Mr Hootington posted:

Yeah he's still the same old Lex, he just helped the good guys for fame and profit and got a power suit out of the deal.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Edge & Christian posted:

It *was* monthly, but it was Batman selling like hotcakes because of the TV show, which is something that actually happened in the 1960s/1970s. That was kind of a bad example because it's more than double the average monthly sales of Batman a few years earlier (or later) were more in the 400,000 range, which when you do the adjusted-for-inflation stuff is essentially as lucrative as selling a little over 100,000 copies a month of most books. Which is *still* a great thing in the current market, but it's also comparing Best Sellers to Best Sellers. There were a lot of books selling in the low 200k/high 100k back in the Good Old Days too.
Actually, wouldn't those likely exaggerated numbers be on a returnable basis, as well? How were those accounted for in circulation numbers?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

He's definitely scheming and interested in power, but he's not a supervillain now. Not yet anyway.

He's pretty fun trying to weasel in in those Justice League issues.

e: This is great.

Neil Adams GA #2 variant.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jun 7, 2016

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

redbackground posted:

Are there any lettered WW previews out there for either WW:Rebirth or WW:#1?
It's here now!

It looks like Rucka is running with the whole "changing histories" thing Rebirth #1 introduced.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

lotus circle posted:

It's here now!

It looks like Rucka is running with the whole "changing histories" thing Rebirth #1 introduced.

That's called playing the hand you're dealt, and not just mulliganing until you get the cards you think you should've gotten in the first place.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
What's the new52 explanation for Kyle having a ring, if Parallax/Hal never happened?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The explanation was to ignore the question as hard as they could, as far as I could tell.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

JoshTheStampede posted:

What's the new52 explanation for Kyle having a ring, if Parallax/Hal never happened?

Parallax Hal totally happened. Just check GL 50

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

JoshTheStampede posted:

It was a clean slate unless the writer didn't care so that story did happen.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

It was a clean slate unless the writer didn't care so that story did happen.

Really GL and Batman were the two points of absolute confusion in the N52 change because Johns and Morrison still had stories going. Morrison just kept writing Inc. like nothing happened (except for everyone changing costumes and Steph Brown and Cass Cain vanishing) while Johns kept writing GL like nothing had happened while still referencing the past and just presumably just praying that he never hit a continuity error too noticeable.

Something something hypertime.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They really should have waited for those storylines to finish before the New 52 began. Snyder's run on Batman was great, but it would have benefitted from a total fresh start. As it is, Batman has raised three teenage boys to adulthood, met Talia and had a now 13 year old kid with her in the span of ~6 years.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Detective No. 27 posted:

They really should have waited for those storylines to finish before the New 52 began. Snyder's run on Batman was great, but it would have benefitted from a total fresh start. As it is, Batman has raised three teenage boys to adulthood, met Talia and had a now 13 year old kid with her in the span of ~6 years.

Waiting for the N52 was not an option as a good number of the books were literally thrown together in a week to make the launch date.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

TwoPair posted:

Really GL and Batman were the two points of absolute confusion in the N52 change because Johns and Morrison still had stories going. Morrison just kept writing Inc. like nothing happened (except for everyone changing costumes and Steph Brown and Cass Cain vanishing) while Johns kept writing GL like nothing had happened while still referencing the past and just presumably just praying that he never hit a continuity error too noticeable.

Something something hypertime.

Also Death of Superman and No mans land happened.

Though Reign ofSuperman probably didn't happen? I dunno,

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Also Death of Superman and No mans land happened.

Though Reign ofSuperman probably didn't happen? I dunno,

Death of Superman did not happen to N52 Superman. I mean, it did for a minute but the final word is no, he had not died previously. His one and only death is the one from 3 weeks ago.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I remember them directly referencing the fight,and that statue they built in memory.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I thought No Man's Land got reconned into Zero Year.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Zero year was retconned to happen first, I think.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Dr. Manhattan punched a wall so

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

I remember them directly referencing the fight,and that statue they built in memory.

Yeah there was some interview with... Johns? Didio? Lobdell? One of those goons, back when that Superdoom event (which was surprisingly alright given how stupid its premise sounded) was gonna happen, where they said that Superman and Doomsday had totally faced off before, of course they did, it was the 90s unless it wasn't.

So yeah, another case of "well we'll just sort it out later and hope not too many people complain"

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I feel like 80% of interviews with DC editorial in the past five years can be accurately summed up by that scene in the pilot of Aqua Teen Hunger Force where Frylock is questioning a perp's motives and Shake just rolls around on the ground going UGH, WHY DOES ANYONE DO ANYTHING? WHO CARE?

The other twenty percent were this.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CharlestheHammer posted:

They changed their collective minds about it multiple times.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Rhyno posted:

They changed their collective minds about it multiple times.

I can accept this

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

When Dr. Manhattan was siphoning 10 years of time and love and hope from the DCU, he liked what was happening to Batman and the earthbound Green Lanterns (but not Alan Scott) and wanted to see how it played out so he only took the time but NOT their lives from them even though it doesn't make much sense. Come on, why is this so hard to understand???

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

When Dr. Manhattan was siphoning 10 years of time and love and hope from the DCU, he liked what was happening to Batman and the earthbound Green Lanterns (but not Alan Scott) and wanted to see how it played out so he only took the time but NOT their lives from them even though it doesn't make much sense. Come on, why is this so hard to understand???

See, this is why Geoff should've made it Superboy Prime.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

See, this is why Geoff should've made it Superboy Prime.

This is the correct answer. Should have made it Superboy Prime became EIC of DC and was wrecking the DCU from Earth Prime. Is stupid but inline with all of the "legacy and history" of DC.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

As a young and hip new reader to the comics, this is the kind of streamlined universe I can dive right into, unlike at Marvel where I have to know about things that happened in the 1960s, gross.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
So Parallax happened but Hal has only been GL for 5 years and no one knows him, and he went crazy despite Coast City not being nuked?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Hal didn't just become a Green Lantern in JL #1. I didn't read his DCYou series, but I don't think an adjusted 'Batman: Zero Year' type deal has been presented for him. Just him telling Convergence'd Zero Hour Parallax "Our Coast City was blown up too and I went bad a lil bit. I feel you."

e: Damian Wayne just had his 13th birthday in Rebirth. Six or seven-ish years is a comic lifetime.
ee: Anyone read Finch Wonder Woman to the end? I bet baby Zeke still hasn't aged a day since 2011.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jun 7, 2016

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Yeah I just read GL #50 and our Hal mentions to pre-Flashpoint Parallax Hal that his Coast City was also destroyed and he rebuilt it. I assume he didn't kill the whole Corps to do that though. I guess it's just chalked up to "well some similar enough poo poo happened that Kyle still happened".

E: and New Guardians 1 gives a 2-page retelling of his origin showing Ganthet with a bunch of dead GLs. I should probably stop thinking about this.

E2: poo poo though Hal doesn't recognize Parallax at all so whatever happened to coast city and made Kyle happen didn't involve Parallax.

JoshTheStampede fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 7, 2016

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

A wizard did it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Weather Wizard destroyed coast city. Makes sense cause Barry hosed up.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

This is the correct answer. Should have made it Superboy Prime became EIC of DC and was wrecking the DCU from Earth Prime. Is stupid but inline with all of the "legacy and history" of DC.

They can still do this in five years when they need another reboot. Superboy Prime became EIC and added Dr. Manhattan to the DCU.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Why don't they just write Superboy Prime to become editor at Marvel and take out their competition?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

greatn posted:

Why don't they just write Superboy Prime to become editor at Marvel and take out their competition?
That's just silly talk.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

FilthyImp posted:

That's just silly talk.

I dunno man. I'm not sure why nobody does it. If I wrote JSA I would have the wish kid wish that me, the author, had all his wishing powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Hal Jordan is a dumb character and I can't muster the care to give a gently caress about his continuity. That is how I handle his New 52 issues.