Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

b-minus1 posted:

I ran a red light last night for the first time. It was at the top of a hill of a road I had never driven. I was staring straight ahead and not on my phone, I have no explanation, no excuse. It simply did not register in my head to stop.Thankfully there were no cars in the intersection, as it was late at night.

I did that a few weeks ago. I saw the light was red and was moving my foot to the brake, but then I.. didn't. No one in the lanes who had greens were moving except for one car turning left who was creeping in all timid and... I just didn't stop. It was weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Novo posted:

i've adopted a really chilled out driving style as i've gotten older and i still make great time. pretty much every pushy idiot i run across on the highways or off ends up at the next red light with me.

You only see the bad ones, if you wanna hurry drive right you gotta concentrate and think about how to get around slow fucks. Not waste time getting mad being on the horn or revving neutral

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

You only see the bad ones, if you wanna hurry drive right you gotta concentrate and think about how to get around slow fucks. Not waste time getting mad being on the horn or revving neutral

Successfully driving fast is about planning and lane choice. Anger is for when you step out of the vehicle.

a digital orc
May 14, 2003

You see, Guragh, they can't fire me for sexual harassment. The crime doesn't fit the punishment! :orks:
when i see people who look like they're in a hurry but aren't driving like complete dicks, I'm much more inclined to let them pass than the assholes who zoom up outta nowhere going 30 over and get 3 inches from my bumper before i ever even have a chance to react

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
If you don't want to do the left turn on red thing or take too long to turn right or whatever I don't really care (unless you're doing it because you're looking at your phone fuuuccckk youuu) but please stay out of the left lane on highways unless you're passing or driving real fast

that lane is not your personal lane it is for passing and maniacs doing like 30 over OK get outta there

on a related note passing on the right is also bad and you should not do it (unless you reeeaaaalllly need to)

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Monkey Fracas posted:

If you don't want to do the left turn on red thing or take too long to turn right or whatever I don't really care (unless you're doing it because you're looking at your phone fuuuccckk youuu) but please stay out of the left lane on highways unless you're passing or driving real fast

that lane is not your personal lane it is for passing and maniacs doing like 30 over OK get outta there

on a related note passing on the right is also bad and you should not do it (unless you reeeaaaalllly need to)

People doing 10-20 under in every lane but the right one :argh:

a digital orc
May 14, 2003

You see, Guragh, they can't fire me for sexual harassment. The crime doesn't fit the punishment! :orks:
tbh i try to make it a point to stay out of the left lane unless I'm passing, but let's face it people are dicks and are gonna tailgate you even if you're going 20 over in the middle/right lane. there's always those few assholes on the road.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I'm honking irl right now

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

https://youtu.be/tw429JGL5zo

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
People who pass on highways but at a relative speed of 2 MPH :eng101:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Go Fast or Go To Hell (bumper sticker includes a few fake bullet holes you can affix around it)

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Monkey Fracas posted:

Passing someone on the right is a game. For max points, do it without exceeding the speed limit and get the person you passed super pissed.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
There is no right or wrong on the road. There is only me and everyone else. There is only rage.

What I'm trying to say is don't honk at me if I'm slowing you down, but also don't slow me down. I'm an rear end in a top hat.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

RedMage129 posted:

There is only rage.

Rip and tear!

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

basically instead of blanket banning moving into the junction if you're turning across the opposite lane but there's oncoming traffic blocking you because it's not usually a problem, they just paint a big hashed yellow box over junctions where it would be and you're not allowed to

today it was 28 degrees and some fucker managed to bring traffic to a dead stop for an hour+ in a 20 mile radius by crashing their car presumably pretty spectacularly

I spent the rest of my drive home working out how many people they would have had to have delayed to waste more of other people's lives than they might have wasted of theirs by presumably dying, it's in the low hundred thousands and they probably managed it I hope they're proud (and not dead, maybe)

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
People are stupid bozos and can't drive very well; I can't wait until robot cars are commonplace.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Roylicious posted:

People are stupid bozos and can't drive very well; I can't wait until robot cars are commonplace.

They sure will be fun to hack!

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
turns out it was some guy failing to jump off a bridge

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

a digital orc posted:

tbh i try to make it a point to stay out of the left lane unless I'm passing, but let's face it people are dicks and are gonna tailgate you even if you're going 20 over in the middle/right lane. there's always those few assholes on the road.

some people, especially SUV drivers, just prefer to drive bumper to bumper, and i for one pray for their deaths

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

I was sitting in the left turn lane the other day with a solid wall of oncoming traffic, and the guy behind me honked at me. I'm not sure if he just wanted me to plow straight through a semi-truck Terminator style or what. People are really angry driving for some reason.

As my dad would put it "you weren't being aggressive enough"

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

RFC2324 posted:

They sure will be fun to hack!

I'm in your CPUs phreaking your trannies

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Roylicious posted:

I'm in your CPUs phreaking your trannies

I actually love that this is already a problem, and we don't even have cars that are fully automated yet.

https://www.wired.com/2015/07/hackers-remotely-kill-jeep-highway/

Trojan.exe
Feb 22, 2011

I never said I was a role model
Whenever I go to a certain Starbucks, I need to drive across a four lane busy road. Most who leave the intersection can make a turn on red. But not me. And they always honk, even if the light is red. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trojan.exe fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 6, 2016

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
476 in PA, the section known as "The Blue Route" is a broken road and people drive on it like monsters. The breakdown lane becomes a normal lane of traffic during rush hour. Onramps have traffic lights to try to make people act like humans. There's this one area where there's a lane on one side for a half a mile that just appears then disappears for no discernable reason and it causes problems. It's a good place to learn how to drive.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

cheerfullydrab posted:

476 in PA, the section known as "The Blue Route" is a broken road and people drive on it like monsters. The breakdown lane becomes a normal lane of traffic during rush hour. Onramps have traffic lights to try to make people act like humans. There's this one area where there's a lane on one side for a half a mile that just appears then disappears for no discernable reason and it causes problems. It's a good place to learn how to drive.
i'm always glad that PennDOT takes absolutely 0 steps to maintaining the roads

Trojan.exe
Feb 22, 2011

I never said I was a role model

cheerfullydrab posted:

I know what area you're talking about and it's one of the worst :psyduck:

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

tbf its really annoying to be sitting in line at a light and literally see the "loose rope" poo poo. pay attention next time and you'll never un-see it: imagine a loose rope tied from the rear of a car to the front of the car behind him and when it gets pulled tight the other car starts moving. it'll happen wtih every car in the gd line. motherfuckers just hit your goddamn GAS PEDAL

cub
Sep 6, 2014

by Shine
sounds like a good feature tbqh

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

XMNN posted:

basically instead of blanket banning moving into the junction if you're turning across the opposite lane but there's oncoming traffic blocking you because it's not usually a problem, they just paint a big hashed yellow box over junctions where it would be and you're not allowed to

I still don't see the problem this fixes. If a left turn would cause problems for the cars behind it (such as when there are two lanes moving the same direction, and a left-turning car stopped in the intersection would prevent other cars from going around it) just put a drat "no left turns" sign. If not, then let people sit in the intersection. What is the issue here?

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 6, 2016

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
I hate honkies too.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

cheerfullydrab posted:

lol I can't even think of an onramp around here that doesn't have a traffic light and all the highways have lanes that appear/disappear for no reason.

You think PA is hell you should come on down to LA/SD sometime where people swerve into oncoming traffic to get into a turn lane on the reg.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Drunk Nerds posted:

I still don't see the problem this fixes. Anyone turning left can never be the cause of blocked traffic at a four way intersection. It's not physically possible. either You can't turn left because cars are blocking you, in which case they're blocking the traffic not you, or you turn left and get out of the intersection.

I've seen this a few times in rush hour, too many cars go to the next light and there's not enough room so now there's a solid wall of jerks across the intersection. A car trying to turn left is just as stuck as the rest of the poor fuckers in that clusterfuck. Terrible urban planning is the tits.

E: it was even better when they tried to install red light cameras and nobody paid the fines they got in the mail because gently caress them and the state court said the cameras were illegal anyway because automatically generating fines skipped the regular legal process.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 6, 2016

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
It boggles my mind how bad driving seems to be a regional contagion. Los Angeles, people generaly drive safe not 100% retarded (considering everyone is either going 90 miles an hour or zero miles an hour). There's some tailgating, but that's about it.

Drive East two hours. As soon as you hit the Arizona border, you'll constantly see people doing retardo poo poo like:

- Tailgating a massive truck that is passing another truck
- Tailgating a line of cars tailgating a massive truck that is passing another truck
- Honking at people who have the right of way. I saw several times people turning on a green light being honked at by someone at a red light who wanted to turn into the same lane.
- Being fat
- Being old

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jun 6, 2016

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Pvt.Scott posted:

I've seen this a few times in rush hour, too many cars go to the next light and there's not enough room so now there's a solid wall of jerks across the intersection. A car trying to turn left is just as stuck as the rest of the poor fuckers in that clusterfuck. Terrible urban planning is the tits.

It's not terrible urban planning in that case. It's dumbass driving. Is there space for your car at the end of the intersection? Yes>> enter intersection. No? Wait until room opens up.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

You are supposed to wait until it's clear that those people are stopping and not running the red light before you turn left in front of them... Jesus christ.

Yes, hence the part where I said you would be stuck waiting while the cross traffic (which now has a green light) moves towards you while you wait patiently to make sure you don't get obliterated by idiots running reds (i.e. by waiting until it is clear those people are stopping).

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Drunk Nerds posted:

It's not terrible urban planning in that case. It's dumbass driving. Is there space for your car at the end of the intersection? Yes>> enter intersection. No? Wait until room opens up.

It's not always that simple because until the line ahead of you settles, there's almost always room. Or sometimes you wait, and the line on the other side of the intersection compresses, leaving enough room for another car or two and the light is still green. The main problem is that the distance to the next light is long enough to make it difficult to judge when/if the line will overflow at problem intersections. Thankfully, regressive, ever-climbing local sales tax rates have been paying to slowly expand and improve the roads in the busiest parts of town. Need a new bridge? $0.005 sales tax hike! Widening roads? $0.005 sales tax hike! Before long you're paying an extra $0.02-0.03 on every dollar depending on how many projects the city is starting. Thanks for shouldering the burden, poors!

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Drunk Nerds posted:

It boggles my mind how bad driving seems to be a regional contagion. Los Angeles, people generaly drive safe not 100% retarded (considering everyone is either going 90 miles an hour or zero miles an hour). There's some tailgating, but that's about it.

Drive East two hours. As soon as you hit the Arizona border, you'll constantly see people doing retardo poo poo like:

- Tailgating a massive truck that is passing another truck
- Tailgating a line of cars tailgating a massive truck that is passing another truck
- Honking at people who have the right of way. I saw several times people turning on a green light being honked at by someone at a red light who wanted to turn into the same lane.
- Being fat
- Being old

Yeah LA is hell but once you figure it out it's fine.

Drive down to SD and I just mutter cuss words nonstop under my breath at all the morons doing moron things.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

in america there is no driving test, there is only a parallel parking test and a 'did you piss off the fat old lady who smells like a mix of cigarettes, mothballs, and cat litter' test

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Sheep-Goats posted:

Also fine: The New York left, where you, being first in line in the left turn lane, bang out out a left just when the light changes before the oncoming traffic gets up to speed to fill the intersection.

this is usually illegal btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
California stops are illegal too but hey.

• Locked thread