Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Augh, I'm back. Sorry for the hiatus, I had a frantic-as-gently caress weekend.

I left the dude a message on Friday asking after the Roadmaster, whether I could haul it away on Tuesday (tomorrow), and never heard back. Come back to work on Monday, refresh the ad, and the motherfucker found the title and wants $800 now. Good news is that someone could drive it all the way to the job site, bad news is that it's $400 more. I've also just noticed that the car's location has changed. Dunno what to make of that.

Edit: This is probably good news since you'd have a complete donor on-site that just went through a ~4 hour test drive to make sure everything's okay. All we need now is the money and someone to drive it there. I would drive it there, I would need to find a way home, though.

scuz fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

If that doesn't work out, it does look like some local potential engines are starting to pop up here.
God bless abandoned projects.

So, anyone here need a truck shell for any projects? Cause all I want is the engine, bellhousing and radiator.
http://ocala.craigslist.org/cto/5596491342.html
http://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/cto/5620128705.html

I'm 100% serious, you can have the body, if you can help haul it away.

The second one looks rough as gently caress but comes with a manual and is pre-1986, so no flywheel fuckery would be involved.
THE SEARCH CONTINUES.

ExplodingSims fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jun 6, 2016

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

ExplodingSims posted:

If that doesn't work out, it does look like some local potential engines are starting to pop up here.
God bless abandoned projects.

So, anyone here need a truck shell for any projects? Cause all I want is the engine, bellhousing and radiator.
http://ocala.craigslist.org/cto/5596491342.html
http://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/cto/5620128705.html

I'm 100% serious, you can have the body, if you can help haul it away.

The second one looks rough as gently caress but comes with a manual and is pre-1986, so no flywheel fuckery would be involved.
THE SEARCH CONTINUES.

Call me crazy, but shouldn't you be looking around Nebraska for potential donors? Assuming you're flying out, I think you'd be hard pressed to find an airline willing to check an SBC.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
To muddy the waters further this just showed up, I believe it's local to me. I can pick it up next weekend if you can find a way to ship it to Nebraska for a reasonable price from a shipping dock in 01801 or 01550.

Believe all it needs is a harmonic balancer. It appears to be TBI and have most/all of the sensors on it still so you could probably just grab a TBI ECU and spend 15 minutes butt splicing a harness together. It's dirt simple.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

That is a screaming good deal, but I'm shuddering at the thought of how much shipping would run.

And the plan was never for me to fly up there. I was going to drive, if nothing else for v the sake of having a chase car/parts runner. Also towing supplies.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

ExplodingSims posted:

That is a screaming good deal, but I'm shuddering at the thought of how much shipping would run.

And the plan was never for me to fly up there. I was going to drive, if nothing else for v the sake of having a chase car/parts runner. Also towing supplies.

Ah. Yeah that would make engine transport quite a but easier then. Get a small enough ride and you can just haul it back to Florida :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Ah. Yeah that would make engine transport quite a but easier then. Get a small enough ride and you can just haul it back to Florida :v:

Build ramps and put it in the bed!

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Rhyno posted:

Build ramps and put it in the bed!

Exactly! It'll be like Knight Rider.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

build ramps put it in bed, then take out engine.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

The process has begun.

Offer still stands for anyone who wants a truck body btw.
And an LT1 is still not out of the question:
http://ocala.craigslist.org/cto/5600710290.html

ExplodingSims fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jun 10, 2016

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Don't forget I'll have a chase car of some flavor. If camaro doesn't survive long enough to reach Tennessee, then the civic.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

So.. uh what's going on with the truck

:gooncamp:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

tater_salad posted:

ROBBLE ROBBLE

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3575865&pagenumber=233#lastpost

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

That is the post that makes me yearn for more info

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
How about you show me a warrant first and then maybe we talk

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
The SBC in my area that we had targeted isn't going for what I can afford, and at this point, I've run out of time and money :( I'm a bad AI'er and feel bad. I sent an email to sims expressing my regrets.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Shipping an engine using an LTL carrier is under $200. More if you don't drop off and pickup at the terminal. Uhaul will rent you a truck for $20. (Plus .50 a mile)

Haha look at this

https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/pts/5631836168.html

216 anyone?

Elephanthead fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 17, 2016

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

scuz posted:

The SBC in my area that we had targeted isn't going for what I can afford, and at this point, I've run out of time and money :( I'm a bad AI'er and feel bad. I sent an email to sims expressing my regrets.

:mediocre:

I totally get it though, while it would have been awesome, it also would have been a huge hassle for you, so no big deal. I'm searching for something pre-1986 in my area now anyways.

tater_salad posted:

Not much. I've been overloaded with work, (58 Hours and on call this weekend heeyyyyyy) so it's kinda taken a backseat. I bought the mounting kit for a 350, and I have a Rockauto cart full of brake parts.
Djdanno was able to get a hold of a tire shop that might be able to hook us up with tires, if 14" isn't feeling expendable enough to gently caress with those in a field.

I've been searching on CL to see if I can find a motor or better yet, a better truck to yank parts out of too, but so far everything's been too expensive/too far way/not running.
I don't want to start buying engine parts without knowing what engine I'll have so, I've been trying to work on everything else in the meantime.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So, this isn't a terrible idea at all is it?
http://orlando.craigslist.org/pts/5560192157.html

Dissembled engine, but it come with all parts, and it's pre-86! WHAT COULD GO WRONG.

Comedy option(s)
http://orlando.craigslist.org/pts/5612682899.html

:v: Free engine stand with purchase too!

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
Oh god don't buy a disassembled engine off Craigslist all the mating faces and bearing surfaces will be completely and utterly wrecked from corrosion due to being left in the backyard under a tarp for a year

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/pts/5608601977.html

Biggest TBI chevy anyone? I'm sure a muncie adapter is available somewhere.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Elephanthead posted:

https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/pts/5608601977.html

Biggest TBI chevy anyone? I'm sure a muncie adapter is available somewhere.

The big block, small block, and inline six all have the same bellhousing pattern, as far as I know. Is this not the case?

Also, I'm not sure when (if?) the big block got a 1-piece rear main (and thus needing a different flywheel); it might be '86 like the small blocks?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I think we might have a winner here:

http://orlando.craigslist.org/pts/5636144313.html

Corvette engine in a truck? Yes or no? YOU MAKE THE CALL.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
That corvette engine is garbage get a vortech v6 instead

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Elephanthead posted:

That corvette engine is garbage get a vortech v6 instead

No joke my end goal project is an S10 v6 with a giant turbo and a hater pipe

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Is there really anything like super terrible about that engine?

Cause it's not like it's going to be the engine the truck has for the rest of its life, it just has to get it home.

Right now my engine qualifications are:
1. Is a 350
2. Runs
3. Under $500

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
If you're looking for engines wouldn't it benefit you greatly to just find one that is in good enough shape to leave in there for eternity? It doesn't make sense IMO to engine swap it twice when you only need to do it once. It doesn't seem like money is that tight, why not get a remanned engine or something like that, and save money by not replacing the motor again when you get it home?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

But remember everything that needs to be done to the truck now have to be able to be done in a field with minimal tools, in about a week.

The biggest thing wrt to engine swapping is that I wasn't joking when I said I wanted to put the biggest engine I could in there. But anything larger than a 350 is getting into bodywork modification, transmission swaps, and other stuff I'd rather deal with when I have more free time, especially since this is going to be a full teardown resto-mod

I don't really mind blowing $3-400 on a cheap engine now, since I can recover some of the cost by selling it later.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
This may be a stupid question, but have you looked into '80s-'90s GM trucks as a donor? Depending on the truck, you might even strike a big block.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Indeed I have, I had one posted in the thread earlier, but I guess it got sold.

If I could find a cheap beater to yank parts out of, that'd be great, since I could get a few other parts I may potentially need out of it as well. IE Radiator, hoses, starter, electrical gubbins.
I've been trolling Craigslist to find a cheap, manual, pre-1986 truck, but so far everything either has no engine or a blown engine.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
For the eventual permanent engine I'd say put the usual LQ4/LQ9 on your list, plus the L18, which everyone hates because it's apparently not as widely supported but is a monster 8.1L Vortec that makes north of 340hp/450ft-lbs stock in some cases. Came in a bunch of random poo poo, Avalanches, uhaul vans, medium duty box trucks/cabnchassis, etc. Check wikipedia for more info on that one.

To get it home? Whatever is cheapest, bolts in easiest, and will make it 2000 miles, gently caress the rest...

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Kastein gets it. Cheap N' Easy on the way, ridiculous when I have the time. :v:

I was gonna see if a V10 would fit with modifications, but I like the sound of the L18.

And I do plan a full up resto-mod once I have it home and time for it, full makeover
Discs, big engine, new paint, AC, power steering/brakes, the works.

evilcat
May 16, 2009

ExplodingSims posted:

I was gonna see if a V10 would fit with modifications, but I like the sound of the L18.

And I do plan a full up resto-mod once I have it home and time for it, full makeover

Have any of the older V6 engines been considered? I found one place that seems to have a used 478M V6 for around $2000, and their 351 is around $1k. Both of those and a few of the other V6 engines were all truck engines, so they are already somewhat optimized for the task.
Plus it would be hard to beat the 702 twin six if pure over the top ridiculousness is desired at the minor cost of it being rare and parts being hard to impossible to find and the fuel consumption.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

kastein posted:

For the eventual permanent engine I'd say put the usual LQ4/LQ9 on your list, plus the L18, which everyone hates because it's apparently not as widely supported but is a monster 8.1L Vortec that makes north of 340hp/450ft-lbs stock in some cases. Came in a bunch of random poo poo, Avalanches, uhaul vans, medium duty box trucks/cabnchassis, etc. Check wikipedia for more info on that one.

To get it home? Whatever is cheapest, bolts in easiest, and will make it 2000 miles, gently caress the rest...

The L18 went into a bunch of Class A motorhomes, too. That's got my vote for a final engine in this thing.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
This project is out of control. Just rent a truck and trailer like a normal person and drag that home so you never have a girl friend again.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Elephanthead posted:

This project is out of control. Just rent a truck and trailer like a normal person and drag that home so you never have a girl friend again.

This isn't the Automotive Sanity forum.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Put a big mast in the bed and sail it home.
Save a tonne of fuel

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

ExplodingSims posted:

I know where we can get an 8.0L V10 Mopar Magnum from a '96 dodge 2500 if you feel like coming by New England.

It needs... an ECU, as far as I know, someone cut it out and most likely threw it on ebay. It's in a clapped out rotted piece of poo poo that hasn't been registered or inspected in years. 170-something on the odometer.

Due to it being at the junkyard I most frequent, if I'm there when it gets sold, it will probably go for under $400, and we might even be able to test fire it before purchase. Add another $300 if you want the auto trans (you don't, seriously, you don't) and the tcase.

Seriously though, the GM stuff I listed is probably a better option, more tunable, more aftermarket upgrades, etc.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Elephanthead posted:

It's far too big and heavy to trailer home behind something you can drive without a class A or B license. So getting it transported home is going to be at least as expensive as buying a temporary engine and parts and getting them installed in a field in Nebraska. Probably. Assuming you don't count the travel expenses. Or the medical expenses.

Plus

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

This isn't the Automotive Sanity forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
That is bull new trucks can tow 23,000 lbs. This weights 9,000. That gives you a good 7,000 for trailer weight (the amount a 24 foot electric brake trailer weights). I am not sure you will find someone to rent you one but finding a farm equipment shipper in Montana is probably pretty easy. I would guess there are oil equipment shipper just hoping to find a job to pay the equipment lease all over fracking country.

• Locked thread