Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Dexo posted:

If Quicksilver is able to move at that speed and fidelity there should be nothing that should stop him outside of maybe a psychic attack.

He should be able to see any attack coming regardless of the fact that it's going on at his trajectory and just dodge it.

It's the way of speedsters - once they go fast they lose all rational thought and can only run or punch. Which is maybe how their powers are derived, they can only manipulate time if their legs and arms are pumping up and down. None of them seem to be able to slow down time to just think about things for a moment. Except when they play pong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

Speaking of XMen Apocalypse, I just saw this scene posted on Imgur: http://i.imgur.com/Gmfvo0h.webm

Nice to see the tradition of these new films having terrible CG still upheld.

Sorry you're so committed to making GBS threads on a movie you haven't seen that you've grounded your ability to enjoy cool things.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

It's a great scene that uses its soundtrack well to sync its action with the music, of course it's not going to be as good when it's shown as a choppy, miscolored gif.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

Speaking of XMen Apocalypse, I just saw this scene posted on Imgur: http://i.imgur.com/Gmfvo0h.webm

Nice to see the tradition of these new films having terrible CG still upheld.
There are many things in Apocalypse to complain about but the CG in that scene is not one of them.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 223 days!

Goffer posted:

It's the way of speedsters - once they go fast they lose all rational thought and can only run or punch. Which is maybe how their powers are derived, they can only manipulate time if their legs and arms are pumping up and down. None of them seem to be able to slow down time to just think about things for a moment. Except when they play pong.

Maybe their brain chemistry can't keep up?

Or maybe fiction just doesn't handle extreme speeds very well.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jun 6, 2016

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Josh Lyman posted:

There are many things in Apocalypse to complain about but the CG in that scene is not one of them.

Actually it is, because the CGI in the entire movie is horrendous.

Don't get me wrong, the Quicksilver scene is great still, but the CGI is not.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Josh Lyman posted:

It looks bad bro, sorry.

I think I'm just getting tired of all these films that are just really bad CG fests. I don't know what's going on, but I feel like in the last four or five years CG has gotten dramatically worst/low effort or for some reason I'm just noticing it more and being taken out of the moment by it.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
It looks pretty cartoony but that works for what it is. Probably out of place in the movie though.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Timeless Appeal posted:

It looks pretty cartoony but that works for what it is. Probably out of place in the movie though.

I think that's what bothers me about it. It looks like a cross between something mega cartoony and something trying to be the 90's version of EXTREME.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

I think that's what bothers me about it. It looks like a cross between something mega cartoony and something trying to be the 90's version of EXTREME.
Did you see DoFP? The scenes are basically the same.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

I'm not sure you actually remember the 90s.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I have no idea where it comes from, but there's a prequel comic for Suicide Squad focused in Harley now

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Mordiceius posted:

It looks bad bro, sorry.

I think I'm just getting tired of all these films that are just really bad CG fests. I don't know what's going on, but I feel like in the last four or five years CG has gotten dramatically worst/low effort or for some reason I'm just noticing it more and being taken out of the moment by it.

You're noticing it more.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Timeless Appeal posted:

It's insanely out of place in the movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Thinking about it, that should've been the ending to the film.

And Deadpool should've walked by going "See!? Every few years!"

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
X-Men Apocalypse should have been a stealth adaptation of Stardust Crusaders.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I enjoy the old cartoons as much as the next guy, but I think they tried too hard into emulate that tone to make this movie memorable.

Well the problem with emulating the 1987 cartoon is the that it was unmitigated garbage.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

wyoming posted:

Well the problem with emulating the 1987 cartoon is the that it was unmitigated garbage.
In a world where He-Man was only a few years gone, TMNT was far more mitigated garbage than that show.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

TetsuoTW posted:

In a world where He-Man was only a few years gone, TMNT was far more mitigated garbage than that show.

Careful, you'll strain your neck wearing such thick rose-tinted glasses.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

A suspiciously absent 80s franchise in the current crop of nerd nostalgia movies, come to think of it.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

X-Men Apocalypse should have been a stealth adaptation of Stardust Crusaders.

the casting would have been impossible.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Freakazoid_ posted:

Careful, you'll strain your neck wearing such thick rose-tinted glasses.
I don't think it's rose-tinted glasses to say that TMNT was a substantially better show than He-Man. He-Man was barely even animated, like I'm not sure it even qualifies as a cartoon.

My Lovely Horse posted:

A suspiciously absent 80s franchise in the current crop of nerd nostalgia movies, come to think of it.
I guess the more recent cartoon(s?) didn't do well enough to warrant it, or just the stink still hasn't come off the franchise since Dolph.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

All I'm saying is if someone made a homoerotic space barbarians movie I'd go to that midnight premiere.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Frozen, except instead of ice powers/lesbianism it's turning into a pride-parade barbarian.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'd basically want it to stop just short of being about the barbarian from Oglaf. Also go the Mad Max route and have it actually be a stealth She-Ra movie, just so we get to see the usual internet idiots foam at the mouth that they want less She-Ra and more glistening muscley manbodies without even a hint of awareness. :allears:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'd basically want it to stop just short of being about the barbarian from Oglaf.
                           /

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

They've been trying reeeeally hard to develop a new He-Man reboot for a long long time now. Sony wrestled the rights away from WB in the late 00's and they've been announcing a different writer/director combo almost every year since. Earlier this year they announced that McG will be directing and Alex Litvak and Mike Finch will be doing what must be the 50th rewrite of the script.

http://deadline.com/2016/01/masters-of-the-universe-mcg-sony-pictures-1201688130/

FROM THE WRITERS OF 'PREDATORS' AND THE DIRECTOR OF THE 'OFFSPRING: PRETTY FLY FOR A WHITE GUY' MUSIC VIDEO

Edit: here's a tweet from producer DeVon Franklin last year
https://twitter.com/DeVonFranklin/status/572893563568058368/photo/1

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jun 6, 2016

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

wyoming posted:

Check out this guy. :lol:

Caught X-Men this weekend and thought it was pretty good for the first 2/3 but the ending is just trash trash trash.

And what a waste of an 80s theme and too much Jennifer Lawrence with loving Mystique as the girl from Hunger Games. The movie straight up goes, "3rd one is always poo poo" which is obviously making GBS threads on Last Stand but it works here too. Apocalypse and his posse was poo poo. Was Storm a villain in the comics at first? I don't know.

And Hugh Jackman basically got paid to grunt - so good for him I guess.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Stairmaster posted:

the casting would have been impossible.

You wouldn't need to change the casting.

Here's how it'd go: Apocalypse is getting revived and somehow it's causing Jean's powers to go out of control and slowly kill her. So you've got a team sent to take out Apocalypse who's hiding in Egypt while slowly reviving (cue Walk Like An Egyptian). The first half of the film then is getting to Egypt while fighting off Apocalypse mutant assassins and then in Egypt they fight the Four Horsemen before finally facing DioApocalypse in a super tense fight where they need to use their powers creatively to win.

Magneto would be the Joseph, doing it for his friend Xavier who's in a wheelchair. Mystique is the Avdol. And Cyclops and Quicklsilver kind of share the Jotaro/Kayoin role, and Wolverine would be the Polnareff, joining later, starting as a brainwashed Assassin working for Apoclaypse but freed and joining the team for vengeance after being defeated. Jubilee can be the Iggy.

I am a giant nerd. :downs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV_CwCTOOMI

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

You're noticing it more.

Yeah. Seems like it. And that sucks (for me, that is). I mean, I think back to just like four or five years ago when I was in my mid-20s, I still loved this poo poo.

I guess it's some combination of getting older and come to the verge of 30 mixed with spending a lot of time over the last few years studying film, but my enjoyment of most "blockbuster" films has significantly diminished over the past few years. I've lately just had basically zero desire to go see a giant CG-fest on screen.

I guess I've grown more in love with the idea of these films than the reality of these films.

Someone help me. I'm dead inside.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

"The verge of 30". Christ save me.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

TetsuoTW posted:

Yeah, good god.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's way more ambitious than the scene in DOFP, I'll give them that. Give that guy his own movie and call it The Wizard Of Speed And Time.

This would be a good spin off movie. Better than the Mystique one they want to do.

The MSJ posted:

Evans is totally into it.

Bucky looks so confused

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

This would be a good spin off movie. Better than the Mystique one they want to do.

The preferred order is: Toad spinoff movie, Quicksilver spinoff movie, Nazi Hunter Magneto, after that who gives a poo poo.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
age ain't nothin but a number

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Vintersorg posted:

Check out this guy. :lol:

Caught X-Men this weekend and thought it was pretty good for the first 2/3 but the ending is just trash trash trash.

And what a waste of an 80s theme and too much Jennifer Lawrence with loving Mystique as the girl from Hunger Games. The movie straight up goes, "3rd one is always poo poo" which is obviously making GBS threads on Last Stand but it works here too. Apocalypse and his posse was poo poo. Was Storm a villain in the comics at first? I don't know.

And Hugh Jackman basically got paid to grunt - so good for him I guess.

You liked that movie more than I did, for sure!

But Storm wasn't ever a villain. After she was orphaned, living in Cairo (at least they got Cairo right) she took up pickpocketing and other petty theft to get by. She pickpocketed Professor X, which is how she was discovered. Although Apocalypse did try recruiting her to The Twelve, but if memory serves, that didn't work out.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

TetsuoTW posted:

Ahahahahaha...That was a few decades ago for me.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah. Seems like it. And that sucks (for me, that is). I mean, I think back to just like four or five years ago when I was in my mid-20s, I still loved this poo poo.

I guess it's some combination of getting older and come to the verge of 30 mixed with spending a lot of time over the last few years studying film, but my enjoyment of most "blockbuster" films has significantly diminished over the past few years. I've lately just had basically zero desire to go see a giant CG-fest on screen.

I guess I've grown more in love with the idea of these films than the reality of these films.

Someone help me. I'm dead inside.

The more I know about everything, the more I love CG.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

MonsieurChoc posted:

You wouldn't need to change the casting.

Here's how it'd go: Apocalypse is getting revived and somehow it's causing Jean's powers to go out of control and slowly kill her. So you've got a team sent to take out Apocalypse who's hiding in Egypt while slowly reviving (cue Walk Like An Egyptian). The first half of the film then is getting to Egypt while fighting off Apocalypse mutant assassins and then in Egypt they fight the Four Horsemen before finally facing DioApocalypse in a super tense fight where they need to use their powers creatively to win.

Magneto would be the Joseph, doing it for his friend Xavier who's in a wheelchair. Mystique is the Avdol. And Cyclops and Quicklsilver kind of share the Jotaro/Kayoin role, and Wolverine would be the Polnareff, joining later, starting as a brainwashed Assassin working for Apoclaypse but freed and joining the team for vengeance after being defeated. Jubilee can be the Iggy.

I am a giant nerd. :downs:

I'm totally on board with this. It sounds a hell of a lot better than the boring, hulking mess of a movie that we got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Turns out that Superman is going to be appearing in SUPERGIRL after all. It's not going to be Cavil though (Please don't be Tom Welling).

• Locked thread