Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

exethan posted:

A pocket veigar support is important for when your team picks 3 AD assassins for top mid and jungle and you can't dodge for some reason

Why can't you play Bard or Sona or Morgana instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
support Nasus can solo dragon @ lvl 6 though

he can also get stacks from killing wards with siphon strike!

your move Veigar...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I got an S-rank with Support Veigar because I ran out of champions to S-Rank with. It was fun but I wouldn't pick it over another choice.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Neurolimal posted:

Nasus doesn't get damage from harassing the enemy. He also has no real stuns, just a mostly-alright slow.

Veigar is cool because 1. He has a Bard/Thresh style sideways-farming mechanic that doesnt harm the ADC (and synergizes with Frost Queen), and 2. Hexdash helps mitigate [some of] the painful setup time on the cage they added to gimp Support Veigar, on top of not being a hyper expensive item for your primary nonsupport item.

Nice. All you need is a mid-game AP item to mitigate the huge weaknesses he has which were intentionally designed to break his ability to support. That's one point in his favor. Then all you gotta do from there is convince one of the other players in the game to build support/utility items and your team is good to go!!!

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

The secret to climbing is mechanics and map awareness, but beyond that is learning how to lead a team.

This doesn't just mean giving orders in chat or pinging, but forcing fights when you know you can win, or herding your squad into pushing towers, taking objectives, etc.

Put people on your back if you are that much better than everyone in the game. If not, go back to working on mechanics and map awareness until you are.

edit: Also, don't pick out of meta champs if you aren't good enough with meta ones.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Libertine posted:

Nice. All you need is a mid-game AP item to mitigate the huge weaknesses he has which were intentionally designed to break his ability to support. That's one point in his favor. Then all you gotta do from there is convince one of the other players in the game to build support/utility items and your team is good to go!!!

It's not even a requirement, its just a nice thing to have.

I mean let's be honest here, nobody in this thread right now is Literally Dendi and needs the most esports support to do clutch flash instant stuns before accurately piling on the most important threat. If something works alright as a support then whatever.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Support Anivia is super strong, once you stack up to your second RoA you're really tanky, and your kit has a slow and a stun on it. Plus it's easy to flash farm the wave to help your ADC with wave clearing.

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

Libertine posted:

What are these weaknesses?

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
It's funny because I play with a guy who has played support veigar/anivia a decent bit and does pretty well on the whole and I'd rather have to only play with that forever than a second game with support jhin

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
heh there was a drama bomb because tryndamere posted icefrog's real name (abdul ismail, has been known since 2011) on the lol reddit. its nice to see the old drama about pendragon (who is a POS) come back up to the surface in response

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
sometimes it feels like newbie advice is less aimed at helping the newbie, and more aimed at proving that memorizing the intricacies of a videogame metagame wasnt entirely useless

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
*in soaz voice* Tryndamere

stump collector
May 28, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

Why can't you play Bard or Sona or Morgana instead

i was joking

stump collector
May 28, 2007
let neurolimal have his fun with veigar support while i poo poo my pants over not winning a game fast enough

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

just go before the game dude

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
On the subject of climbing, I'd say for mid (and others too, but talking mid cause thats my main experience) the thing that separates a lot of players is that most people up through plat can't farm for poo poo. If you can cs really well, that is a huge point in your favor. It's certainly far from the only factor but its one that often gets really neglected.

So if you want a concrete thing to improve on that'll help improve your play, make improving your farm a priority particularly during early game.

Also mid Veigar for life. Though I can't blame if people want to play the best champ in other lanes, the temptation is too great.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

exethan posted:

let neurolimal have his fun with veigar support while i poo poo my pants over not winning a game fast enough

Unfortunately camp 1 will run into camp 2 and I'll tear rear end around the rift on my atv raising hell and reporting all toxics in response.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Is it me or does Illaoi's damage feel a little bit overtuned? She's got next to no utility outside of buying IBG but when I get ganked by Shaco while laning with an Ekko, my first thought should not be "600 gold right there"

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...
i cant believe riot games accused dota of being run by isis

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Is it me or does Illaoi's damage feel a little bit overtuned? She's got next to no utility outside of buying IBG but when I get ganked by Shaco while laning with an Ekko, my first thought should not be "600 gold right there"
She is a "Juggernaut" which means if you're close enough to them you're going to get one shotted and it is totally perfectly balanced. Even Mordekaiser.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

There's isnt an Illaoi state where she doesn't feel over or undertuned, it's a natural state of having a bad kit with no real utility.

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

RealFoxy posted:

I kept playing support because I'm bad at everything else but trying to level up playing support is awful and you should learn to play tanky carries like Malphite because people are really bad and nothing says "Go right now" like a Malphite ultimate.

Unfortunately there's so many scenarios in low elo where if you're playing support, even if you're the best player in the game, you're going to have people who refuse to group, will feed for no reason because they don't understand how to get carried, or the worst part, you're playing against another good support player and your lane goes dead even but your jungle/mid/top are all feeding so your lane is useless.

Being a support main and getting better are futile efforts because even with good hard carry supports you're still going to lose a lot of games because your support gold doesn't carry games hard enough and there's a fairly good chance you've gotten a brain-dead ADC that has no idea what to do with their free gold and loses the game farming a side lane after they've already got 6 items.

ofc you could always just play Ekko or Fizz "support" and take half the lane CS and never buy a sightstone it works for Meth.
My frustration is completely my fault. I have a 70%+ winrate as Sona support, but I'm just tired of always getting the support role when it's a secondary pick. The champs I actually like playing mid or top aren't very snowbally, so even when I win lane it doesn't make that big of a difference I feel. Going 3/0 as Vlad in lane is pretty cool, but it's nothing compared to 3/0 Fizz/Yas/Zed/LeBlanc or whoever.

I guess I could take Sona mid too, but that's probably going to make me greedy AF when I support with her.

Fluffdaddy posted:

edit: Also, don't pick out of meta champs if you aren't good enough with meta ones.
This is seriously what's slaying me. I really like goofy rear end champs like Galio.

LegalPad fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 6, 2016

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

I recently got shat on by her, so I'm inclined to agree, but it's incredibly frustrating when she gets ahead, I can't pick out what her weakness is if she's tanky enough to trade with you.

What's worse is that her E still exists, and if she lands it on you you're thrown into the Illaoi paradox where you pick between trying to murder the tanky dps with at least one guaranteed % missing HP heal via tentacling your soul, or running away giving up gold/exp, dealing with 15 seconds of harass, and taking a bunch of damage anyway.

Seriously can anyone shed some light on what the "correct" move is?

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Illaoi's laning is probably the only somewhat decent part about her

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Poulpe posted:

I recently got shat on by her, so I'm inclined to agree, but it's incredibly frustrating when she gets ahead, I can't pick out what her weakness is if she's tanky enough to trade with you.

What's worse is that her E still exists, and if she lands it on you you're thrown into the Illaoi paradox where you pick between trying to murder the tanky dps with at least one guaranteed % missing HP heal via tentacling your soul, or running away giving up gold/exp, dealing with 15 seconds of harass, and taking a bunch of damage anyway.

Do whichever makes you not die, then laugh when laning phase ends and she is completely useless garbage.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

henkman posted:

Illaoi's laning is probably the only somewhat decent part about her

how can she slap

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

Poulpe posted:

What bizzaro universe have I woken up in?

Illaoi is weak to being kited and is pissweak without her tentacles. She wrecks anyone dumb enough to try to take her on one-on-one or two-on-one while she has her ult up, but she has zero CC so when you see her get feisty walk away. Just walk away. Let her freak out, wait for the ult tentacles to despawn and get back to doing your thing. If she's dumb enough to follow you outside of her ult radius and away from any tentacles the fight should be a lot more even.

If you get grabbed by an E you have two options:
1. walk away, try to trigger it before she puts too much damage on your ghost.
2. hurt her. Every time Illaoi takes damage, the ghosts duration decreases. If she's focusing her efforts on the ghost instead of you (that is to say, she is bad) you'll be taking a fraction of the damage you normally would take in a proper exchange. Try not to get hit by any tentacles that are aimed at the ghost, and it's a lot better to fight it out when you're at high-ish health.

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

People really like to focus him but then they're focusing the support instead of the carries so....

Gonna keep playing around with this

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Deathcap is a really bad item without other things for the passive to boost.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
the next level veigar build is relic shield so you can stack ap without stealing cs. then whatever you want after that cuz youve already won

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

rabidsquid posted:

Like, say, the 100 AP from his passive by the time it's completed?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Yeah, sure, knock yourself out.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Taliyah still blows.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

LegalPad posted:

My frustration is completely my fault. I have a 70%+ winrate as Sona support, but I'm just tired of always getting the support role when it's a secondary pick. The champs I actually like playing mid or top aren't very snowbally, so even when I win lane it doesn't make that big of a difference I feel. Going 3/0 as Vlad in lane is pretty cool, but it's nothing compared to 3/0 Fizz/Yas/Zed/LeBlanc or whoever.

I guess I could take Sona mid too, but that's probably going to make me greedy AF when I support with her.

This is seriously what's slaying me. I really like goofy rear end champs like Galio.
Back in the glory days of LAN I climbed to Platinum purely on AP Malphite and AP Zac but I don't know if they work that well anymore with how the new AP items are (Plus they're all more expensive) so I imagine waiting for a two item power-spike and doing very little damage and having pretty low wave clear.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
If you are only good at one thing and want to climb then just do that one thing and save your experiments for normal games. There are people on the ladder who play like 1000 Renekton games a year. They all kill themselves at the end but the Elo gained is worth it.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

rabidsquid posted:

To be fair, veigar passive if well utilized gives him about 300 ap. Veigar with dcap + one other ap item can often get close to 700-800 Ap and his ult is like a 1.25 scaling on a half health target. Though that's for mid anyways.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
veigar support is good and it's fun to trap/stun the enemy adc every 15 seconds.

honestly, it's pretty good in low elo.

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

This was plat 3 (now promos)

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
While I believe in support veigar, I wouldn't link to a bunch of games with double digit deaths as proof

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

I mean at the end of the day you're still playing an immobile AP mage with support experience. I'd die a lot but in exchange 3+ of their team gets stunned and hit by my W, one of whom probably dies to my ult. I'm also a scrub who tends to die a lot no matter who I'm playing.

• Locked thread