Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

twistedmentat posted:

I was thinking how the stakes in Civil War, they're pretty personal and low. Like Zemo just wants to destroy the Avengers for revenge for his family, he doesn't want to take over the world, destroy NYC, steal a billion dollars, or anything. He wants to drive a wedge between Cap and Tony so the team would not function anymore. Yes the Accords will effect all powered beings on earth, but there is no massive sea change in how societies function brought about by it.

It's very interesting to see a big super hero movie with its big important thing being so small. I guess Batman v Superman the stakes are purely who lives or dies Batman or Superman, but then Lex clearly has plans beyond that by introducing Doomsday into the mix, and then his declaration of "He (Darkseid) is coming".

BTW, I was thinking about how disappointed I am that Syder Superman doesn't have a fortress of solitude, somewhere he can just be Superman, and have access to the sum total of Kryptonian knowlage. It's like Bruce not having a Bat-Cave.
I liked the little swerve at the end where they play up the idea that 'oh crap, this guy has control over a bunch of super soldiers' only to find that he killed them all and it was just a ruse to make sure they both showed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Wheat Loaf posted:

Right, here's an idea that I've had. On the off chance that Marvel is able to get the movie rights to the FF back within the next five years, they should do something novel by casting an actual married couple as Reed and Sue and making the characters a bit older. And it seems to me that, if they did this, the perfect choice for Reed and Sue would be Laurence Fishburne and Gina Torres. I think that would be pretty fun.

For a while, I had been thinking about Freddie Prinze Jr and Sarah Michelle Gellar.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Wheat Loaf posted:

Right, here's an idea that I've had. On the off chance that Marvel is able to get the movie rights to the FF back within the next five years, they should do something novel by casting an actual married couple as Reed and Sue and making the characters a bit older. And it seems to me that, if they did this, the perfect choice for Reed and Sue would be Laurence Fishburne and Gina Torres. I think that would be pretty fun.

Ok, but then they have to make Johnny white.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jamesman posted:

For a while, I had been thinking about Freddie Prinze Jr and Sarah Michelle Gellar.

Haha, also good.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I know I'm late on this, but what exactly is the point of the "pym particles can drive you insane without this special helmet" subplot in ant-man when the villain's already been shown to be willing to murder people for slightly disagreeing with him?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

This movie's editing is wack.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

I know I'm late on this, but what exactly is the point of the "pym particles can drive you insane without this special helmet" subplot in ant-man when the villain's already been shown to be willing to murder people for slightly disagreeing with him?

I think the implication is he's like that because he's been experimenting with Pym particles.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

greatn posted:

I think the implication is he's like that because he's been experimenting with Pym particles.

Maybe showing a scene where he does that woulda been good.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

greatn posted:

Also the part where Michael Douglas directly says that he's been made mentally unstable because of his experiments with Pym particles.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

Also the part where Michael Douglas directly says that he's been made mentally unstable because of his experiments with Pym particles.

I hadn't gotten to that scene yet. But they still never showed him experimenting with the particles on himself before he murdered a dude for no reason, and doing so would have turned him into goo because they hadn't been perfected yet.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's implied to just be a proximity thing, but apparently not enough to affect Hope and Hank when Scott does it in the house.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Aphrodite posted:

It's implied to just be a proximity thing, but apparently not enough to affect Hope and Hank when Scott does it in the house.

Hope never comes in contact with the raw particles. I assume the suits protect the users from the effects.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Lurdiak posted:

Maybe showing a scene where he does that woulda been good.

There are multiple scenes where he is present during a pym particle experiment

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Michael Douglas also says that after Cross had Pym kicked out of his own company, Cross was secretly trying to recreate the formula for years by himself. And that Cross was always ambitious and had Daddy issues, but he had gotten unhinged after Pym was kicked out.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

I hadn't gotten to that scene yet.

Wait you hadn't finished the movie before asking?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

theflyingorc posted:

There are multiple scenes where he is present during a pym particle experiment

I think people are under the impression that you need to eat Pym Particles or something instead of it being like a radiation exposure thing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The Dave posted:

Wait you hadn't finished the movie before asking?

They said "Someone using pym particles will go insane" and then showed someone who had no functional access to pym particles acting insane. It was pretty sloppy, and the idea that he got "exposed" by just being near experiments doesn't really hold water with the rest of the film.

It's fine, plot holes are fine.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He was using ever crappier Pym-like particles.

Pym particle exposure makes you slap your wife, Cross particle exposure makes you turn people into goo.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

As fun and enjoyable as the Ant-man movie was, Cross's lack of motivations was perhaps it's greatest weakness. While they make a token effort of explaining him with the Pym particle madness, it still comes off as lazy, and surprisingly similar to Lex's portrayal in BvS; madness and daddy issues. Though, at least the writing and Cory Stole's portrayal made the character interesting to watch.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I would really be curious to see what this movie was initially supposed to be like. There were a lot of editing choices that felt like attempts at punching up the pace that just made things seem more incoherent or messed with the natural timing of the jokes, and from what I understand large portions of the film were added pretty late in production.

Not that I hated it or anything. It was a solid B-.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The pre-doctored up Wright version was by all accounts worse in every way.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Wright is among my favorite directors and everything I heard about his version of Ant-Man sounded strictly inferior. Almost all my favorite moments came from Reed or McKay.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Apparently Cross had more screen time in the Wright version at the expense of Hope, but yeah, it seems like the script changes from the Wright version weren't that major or were improvements.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Most of my complaints have little to do with the script, so whatever.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think marvel movies primarily write from the perspective of "wouldn't it be awesome if?"

So Cross turning that guy in the bathroom into a tiny ball of snot over a small disagreement doesn't make lot of sense, but it is shocking, funny, and awesome at the same time.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

The pre-doctored up Wright version was by all accounts worse in every way.

Something like little to no Hope scenes and also all the great Michael Pena stuff wasn't in there either.

Anyway, in upcoming movie news the current rumor is that Wolverine 3 is going to be called "Weapon X"

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Lurdiak posted:

I would really be curious to see what this movie was initially supposed to be like. There were a lot of editing choices that felt like attempts at punching up the pace that just made things seem more incoherent or messed with the natural timing of the jokes, and from what I understand large portions of the film were added pretty late in production.

Not that I hated it or anything. It was a solid B-.

Maybe you would understand the movie better if you paid attention instead of posting while watching it.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Jamesman posted:

Hahaha I just did a GIS for 2015 Freddie Prinze Jr and he has Reed Richards hair now, amazing

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Whizbang posted:

Maybe you would understand the movie better if you paid attention instead of posting while watching it.

There's this handy invention called a pause button.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rasczak posted:

Hahaha I just did a GIS for 2015 Freddie Prinze Jr and he has Reed Richards hair now, amazing

You think I just pick my casting choices out of my rear end, son?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

muscles like this? posted:

Something like little to no Hope scenes and also all the great Michael Pena stuff wasn't in there either.

Anyway, in upcoming movie news the current rumor is that Wolverine 3 is going to be called "Weapon X"

It's time for live action Omega Red.

Lurdiak posted:

It's fine, plot holes are fine.

You got an explanation. A solid one from multiple people. How is it a plot hole?

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Jamesman posted:

You think I just pick my casting choices out of my rear end, son?

I don't think I've seen him in anything since like Wing Commander, I was caught completely off guard!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Rasczak posted:

He's also hosting a game show on USA network with Dana Carvey :psyduck:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm pretty sure I read that Freddie Prinze Jr said not long after his spinal surgery that he was done with acting (outside of voicing cartoons) because he didn't want to travel anymore and wanted to stay home with his family. He also said working with Kiefer Sutherland almost made him quit for good even earlier.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

He's also hosting a game show on USA network with Dana Carvey :psyduck:
Yeah, First Impressions. The episode with Dana and Steve Carell was pretty entertaining?!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rasczak posted:

I don't think I've seen him in anything since like Wing Commander, I was caught completely off guard!

He played Fred in the Scooby-Doo movies James Gunn wrote about 15 years ago; Sarah Michelle Gellar was Daphne. That's what I remember him from. :v:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I knew him from the Last Summer movies and of course 24, which I really liked him in. I guess he didn't enjoy his time there at all though.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Wheat Loaf posted:

He played Fred in the Scooby-Doo movies James Gunn wrote about 15 years ago; Sarah Michelle Gellar was Daphne. That's what I remember him from. :v:

Oh god, I saw this on a Senior Class trip. I had no idea that James Gunn wrote that.

15 years ago... :negative:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Jim Gordon gonna be jacked in Justice League apparently.
https://twitter.com/itsNeha_/status/740325146666356739
https://twitter.com/CallMeTopes/status/740329752548900864

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

X-O posted:

I'm pretty sure I read that Freddie Prinze Jr said not long after his spinal surgery that he was done with acting (outside of voicing cartoons) because he didn't want to travel anymore and wanted to stay home with his family. He also said working with Kiefer Sutherland almost made him quit for good even earlier.

I too would prefer to stay home with Sarah Michelle Gellar over doing anything else.

• Locked thread