Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
Instead of all the words people should just read Paul Graham's short essay "Photography is Easy, Photography is Difficult" http://www.americansuburbx.com/2009/07/theory-paul-graham-photography-is-easy.html

Untitled by Dev Luns, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
Really enjoying this cheap Helios 44m.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Salizada del Fontego dei Turchi, Venezia by alkanphel, on Flickr

ape
Jul 20, 2009

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

elgin by Max Piepenbrink, on Flickr

welcome to texas

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

pootiebigwang posted:

Instead of all the words people should just read Paul Graham's short essay "Photography is Easy, Photography is Difficult" http://www.americansuburbx.com/2009/07/theory-paul-graham-photography-is-easy.html

these are great

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.

Choicecut posted:

You should try doing that.

The uninteresting view comment is spot on though. Helen, ape, Elgarbo, Sludge Tank, saucy, isheep and Mr bland stand out to me in this thread. Most of what they shoot are things I would walk right past and not consider. They aren't just another cityscape, mountain with a road in front of it, some tree in a field, or uninteresting building with a door. Look at apes poo poo the past few posts. I drive past so many cars every day just like the ones he posted, but never considered taking images of them. The image quality, tones, etc of the goons I mentioned are titties and just adds to the awesomeness.

That being said, anal is off limits for at least a month Helen. Cock gobbling is still a go though, cause I'll always be your little dick cumwell.

Quite seriously your posts are the loving worst.

Seeing as people are posting lots of words in here at the moment I have to comment on something I've been noticing in this thread. A lot of people seem to see people posting photos of "nothing" and think that they need to go out and take photos of nothing. But they actually do go out and take photos of nothing and it's not good. Think about your subject and why you are taking photos. A photo of a wall is just a photo of a loving wall unless you have some other intention.

deaders fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jun 6, 2016

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Choicecut posted:

You should try doing that.

The uninteresting view comment is spot on though. Helen, ape, Elgarbo, Sludge Tank, saucy, isheep and Mr bland stand out to me in this thread. Most of what they shoot are things I would walk right past and not consider. They aren't just another cityscape, mountain with a road in front of it, some tree in a field, or uninteresting building with a door. Look at apes poo poo the past few posts. I drive past so many cars every day just like the ones he posted, but never considered taking images of them. The image quality, tones, etc of the goons I mentioned are titties and just adds to the awesomeness.

That being said, anal is off limits for at least a month Helen. Cock gobbling is still a go though, cause I'll always be your little dick cumwell.

This post drove past what other people consider interesting and then crashed into a tree.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
Photo content:

I did a bit of an instax series yesterday.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

deaders posted:

A photo of a wall is just a photo of a loving wall unless you have some other intention.

So, basically, be more like el garbo

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

deaders posted:

Quite seriously your posts are the loving worst.

Seeing as people are posting lots of words in here at the moment I have to comment on something I've been noticing in this thread. A lot of people seem to see people posting photos of "nothing" and think that they need to go out and take photos of nothing. But they actually do go out and take photos of nothing and it's not good. Think about your subject and why you are taking photos. A photo of a wall is just a photo of a loving wall unless you have some other intention.

i got a photo of a loving wall for u

Geneva by Tom Olson, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

No, basically be like yourself and not anyone else.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Please don't be like me.

ape
Jul 20, 2009

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

it's fine to have influences but you're dead in the water if you can only describe your vision using other people's work

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
It's my fault but I didn't mean it like that, Garbo takes lots of really good wall photos.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
I'm glad to keep this thread alive.

Choicecut fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jun 6, 2016

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Here's a wall.

Kosice June-10.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

And a wall of water

Kosice June-52.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

And a different wall.

Kosice June-39.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

deaders posted:

Photo content

These are all cool. Which instax model do you have? I got one of my daughters the mini 8 and was thinking about getting myself one. Those look like a different size.

My comment about wall photos or whatever wasn't directed at anyone here. The pics from all you guys resonate with me for some reason. I just wanted to discuss why they do and what makes you guys tick, I guess.

Choicecut fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jun 6, 2016

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Grand Coulee Dam by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

deaders posted:

Photo content:

I did a bit of an instax series yesterday.

Nice stuff!

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

Kinfolk Jones
Oct 31, 2010

Faaaaaaaaast
First time posting here! Just getting started, and I took a few recently that I think are OK. First two are from Great Sand Dunes National Park in CO. I liked the vastness of the first shot, but the more I look at it the more I think I should crop the top 3rd out since it's not adding much to it. Second shot was water from a stream running over the sand, which made an interesting looking pattern.

Skies over Sands by Bryan Wright, on Flickr

Woven Water over Sand by Bryan Wright, on Flickr

Third one is a moving sculpture in Santa Fe. Wanted to get some of the movement while still showing the actual shape of the piece.

Swirling Leaves by Bryan Wright, on Flickr

Any thoughts?

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Kinfolk Jones posted:

First time posting here! Just getting started, and I took a few recently that I think are OK. First two are from Great Sand Dunes National Park in CO. I liked the vastness of the first shot, but the more I look at it the more I think I should crop the top 3rd out since it's not adding much to it. Second shot was water from a stream running over the sand, which made an interesting looking pattern.

Woven Water over Sand by Bryan Wright, on Flickr

Third one is a moving sculpture in Santa Fe. Wanted to get some of the movement while still showing the actual shape of the piece.

Swirling Leaves by Bryan Wright, on Flickr

Any thoughts?

The vastness of the first shot is undersold by the fact that it's in portrait format. You're showing a vast sky and not much sand dune. I think a landscape orientation would get the feeling across a lot better, and the people in the photo would be surrounded by more negative space, further emphasising that aspect.

The second one doesn't really show much texture, it's pretty flat. I don't know how you fix that to be honest.

I don't really have an opinion on the third. It feels unsatisfying to me because there's nothing there to give context, just the sculpture and the sky. No scale to it, no setting. I like the capture but I don't know what I like about it.

loaf
Jan 25, 2004

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Kinfolk Jones posted:

Interesting. Here's one of my shots from 28 May.

That Boy is Tiny by B. B., on Flickr

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Kinfolk Jones posted:

First time posting here! Just getting started, and I took a few recently that I think are OK. First two are from Great Sand Dunes National Park in CO. I liked the vastness of the first shot, but the more I look at it the more I think I should crop the top 3rd out since it's not adding much to it.

Any thoughts?

I like it like this, a gradient from earth to space.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Edit: Flickr app, you suck.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Lignon by Tom Olson, on Flickr

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Vision Source by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

Formerly Sears Hardware by Christopher Wimbrow, on Flickr

White Mink by Christopher Wimbrow, on Flickr

ohrwurm fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jun 7, 2016

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

Bouncy Horse by Eli Misel, on Flickr

Window Paintings by Eli Misel, on Flickr