Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Mr. Rogers was just an amazing human being. From a list about him:

6. He was genuinely curious about others. Mister Rogers was known as one of the toughest interviews because he'd often befriend reporters, asking them tons of questions, taking pictures of them, compiling an album for them at the end of their time together, and calling them after to check in on them and hear about their families. He wasn't concerned with himself, and genuinely loved hearing the life stories of others.
And it wasn't just with reporters. Once, on a fancy trip up to a PBS exec's house, he heard the limo driver was going to wait outside for 2 hours, so he insisted the driver come in and join them (which flustered the host).
On the way back, Rogers sat up front, and when he learned that they were passing the driver's home on the way, he asked if they could stop in to meet his family. According to the driver, it was one of the best nights of his life, the house supposedly lit up when Rogers arrived, and he played jazz piano and bantered with them late into the night. Further, like with the reporters, Rogers sent him notes and kept in touch with the driver for the rest of his life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

FordPRefectLL posted:

i dont have a screenshot but just got blocked on fb

some guy posted an article about transgender athletes obliterating biologically female athletes and said he was ok with it so i was like yeah let's get rid of weight classes and age separation i definitely want to see an 8 year old playing with a 30 year old it'll just encourage the 8 year old to get better

dude starts flipping out at me about how i'm a pedo etc so i posted man vs toddler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ5DfWN3fWU

and he blocked me

he for some reason emailed me a segment of the conversation

this is what i get for being sarcastic on the internet

the 1 like on the fuckboy comment is from me because i thought he was kidding at first

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

FordPRefectLL posted:

the 1 like on the fuckboy comment is from me because i thought he was kidding at first

please keep us updated

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

FordPRefectLL posted:

Bless your heart.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
is this performance art, because i don't get it

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

That has to be the oddest reason to be called a fuckboy in history.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

FreudianSlippers posted:

e:↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑
:argh:

Mr. Rogers was also a friend of George A. Romero. Romero's first real gig was filming a segment for Mr. Rogers Neighborhood. Apperently Rogers liked both Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead but wasn't a fan of Romero's idea of casting the woman who played Lady Aberlin as Judy in Night of the Living Dead. Judy is the girl who gets killed in an explosion and then her remains are eaten by ravenous revenants.

Mr. Rogers had some serious connections in the B-movie business.

Oh, poo poo, I meant George Romero all along, not Roger Corman. Thank you for remedying my brain :gas: with the correct information.

veggiebacon
Jul 14, 2015

RFC2324 posted:

There is also the fact that Disney routinely covers up anything like that to avoid bad PR. There will be records and police reports, they they will be buried in such a way that there is no realistic way of finding them.

Its kind of like the Riverwalk in San Antonio. You go there, you see how it is(a bunch of drunk as hell people crowded on pathways right next to the river with no barrier) and assume people fall in all the time. Can't find a single report of a drowning tho. Ask the bartenders on the street, and they will give you a guarded non-answer about it.

Major tourist spots do this thing, otherwise the tourist dollars dry up.

Going on Disney burying stories: http://ktla.com/2015/08/19/man-arrested-outside-disneyland-for-allegedly-having-loaded-pistol/

This article doesn't give a ton of info, but articles definitely aren't as easy to find on it as they were when it happened. If I remember correctly, guy was hearing voices telling him to go in and avenge his father or something like that. It was around the time when either the parade (or was it pyro?) was about to end, so Main Street would have been packed. I think the only reason I ever heard about it was because most of my Facebook friends are Cast Members.

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

A real Facebook man posted:

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

According to my research,
these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

6. He was genuinely curious about others. Mister Rogers was known as one of the toughest interviews because he'd often befriend reporters, asking them tons of questions, taking pictures of them, compiling an album for them at the end of their time together, and calling them after to check in on them and hear about their families. He wasn't concerned with himself, and genuinely loved hearing the life stories of others.
And it wasn't just with reporters. Once, on a fancy trip up to a PBS exec's house, he heard the limo driver was going to wait outside for 2 hours, so he insisted the driver come in and join them (which flustered the host).
On the way back, Rogers sat up front, and when he learned that they were passing the driver's home on the way, he asked if they could stop in to meet his family. According to the driver, it was one of the best nights of his life, the house supposedly lit up when Rogers arrived, and he played jazz piano and bantered with them late into the night. Further, like with the reporters, Rogers sent him notes and kept in touch with the driver for the rest of his life.

Was that the driver who was dying of AIDS, and Rogers called him in the hospital?

Like a lot of kids, I eventually decided that Rogers was for babies. And as a cynical teen, I became convinced that there must be something sinister beneath his kind and harmless veneer. Years later, I read this profile of him in GQ or Esquire or something, which was basically ten pages of the reporter going, "YEP, HE REALLY IS EXACTLY THE WAY HE APPEARS ON TV". Blew my goddamn mind, but restored my faith in humanity.

I'm the idiot on social media. The big, sappy, Mr.-Rogers-worshiping idiot.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Picnic Princess posted:

Something not racist or sexist for a change.

Who is forcing people to use Messenger? What?

Vanellope
Mar 26, 2015

I've just got pixlexia, okay?

Tiggum posted:

Who is forcing people to use Messenger? What?

Facebook is removing the messenger thing from the mobile site so people who don't want to use the app will have to use it now. A lot of people are really mad about it because apparently the messenger app sucks.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Vanellope posted:

Facebook is removing the messenger thing from the mobile site so people who don't want to use the app will have to use it now. A lot of people are really mad about it because apparently the messenger app sucks.

This. It's anecdotal but I've been using the messenger app since it came out and I haven't had any issues with it so I dunno what the huge deal is.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I use the messenger app to group chat with my friends and it's pretty much the only reason I still have Facebook. Don't really get the hate.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Vanellope posted:

Oh right. I remember a while back when they changed it so you had separate apps for Facebook and Messenger and a bunch of people were angry about that for some reason, but it seemed way more convenient to me? I find it hard to imagine someone choosing to use the Facebook website to send and receive messages when they could be using the Messenger app instead. That's just doing things the hard way for no reason.

Vanellope
Mar 26, 2015

I've just got pixlexia, okay?
I don't really use it myself because my friends prefer whatsapp so I don't know for sure, but what I heard is that it's a battery hog and that's why people were using the chat thing on the mobile site.

It could just be that people hate change though.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Tracula posted:

This. It's anecdotal but I've been using the messenger app since it came out and I haven't had any issues with it so I dunno what the huge deal is.

You used to be able to access messages in the regular-old FB app, so it's kind of annoying having to have an extra app taking up space on your phone. Plus, there was that thing awhile back where people thought the permissions needed to have it were unreasonable (but no different from standard FB), so there's probably still some of that as well.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

RFC2324 posted:

I actually had a dude do this to me. I was working at some call center, and while we were in training he would ride to my house with me to get lunch, which is pretty normal. Once we got out of training, and didn't have lunch at the same time, I walked up to him and asked him for his keys as a joke. I nearly fell over when he handed them to me, and didn't understand why I was so surprised.

That's actually a mugging/con artist technique. If you walk up to somebody and ask 'hey can I see your wallet', you'd be surprised by how many people will hand it over without thinking about it first.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I use the Facebook messanger app alot to send videos that are to big or for video chatting between IPhone and Androids. I don't see how anyone would have a problem with using it honestly.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

but where's part 2?????????

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

I'm the '"cast" system.'

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude
The hardest part of Magic: The Gathering is fully understanding the cast system..

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Tiberius Thyben posted:

I'm the '"cast" system.'

I'm the guy with the jaunty arrow moustache.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I'm the well dressed squirrel.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Huh I'm gonna call up my university and ask why they didn't teach me that.

I am very upset.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I'm the crippling fear of women.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride

Beautiful, succinct and 100% true. :eyepop:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
I'm the four upcoming pages of messaging-app discussion where people profess to not care about which app people use and then go on to talk about what all they themselves use and why that all is superior, interspersed with other people humblebragging about how they "don't use messaging apps :smug:", others going "stfu about messaging apps, btw $messaging-app is best because :spergin:", and finally taken out back and shot by a LoB massivepost.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Do we have a Mr Rogers thread? Because I think we could do with one.

I wish he were still alive and had gotten to do interviews with people. You've got to wonder how he would react to the world as it is now.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Fathis Munk posted:

Wait, Brock is an actual name that real people have?

I can only think of Werewolf Jones' kids:

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Mr. Rogers was just an amazing human being.

He brought out the best in people, no doubt. There was a story a goon told about him once in one these derails that I always loved. Paraphrased from how I recall she told it.

"Me and my friend were walking up the street being bad girls in our teen years - dressed like sluts, smoking cigarettes, loudly swearing. We turned a corner and saw Mr. Rogers coming up the street towards us. We looked at each other and without a word immediately threw away our smokes and when he walked past said in unison "Hello Mr. Rogers!" and without a beat he fires back the friendliest smile I've ever seen. "Hello girls!""

Perry Normal has a new favorite as of 15:42 on Jun 7, 2016

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

FordPRefectLL posted:

I use the messenger app to group chat with my friends and it's pretty much the only reason I still have Facebook. Don't really get the hate.

It sucked on my old Galaxy S2 when they rolled it out, much much slower- had no problems since a phone upgrade though; I can see that being irritating for someone who can't afford a newer phone

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

There's nothing to hate. People just like to complain about their idiotic first world problems.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
The only gripe I have is that it's pretty big memory wise for a messaging app, otherwise it's great.

Also the hd phone calls are awesome and it sounds like you're actually talking to the person.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Lazy Editing: Check
Artifacting: Check
Bad Grammar: Check
Pictures covering up part of the text: Check
Photo that could easily be a text post without losing anything: Check
God cares about what you post on Facebook: Check

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Mr. Rogers was also a sniper in Vietnam. That's why he always wore sweaters to cover up his Marines tattoos

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Mr. Rogers was also a sniper in Vietnam. That's why he always wore sweaters to cover up his Marines tattoos

I can't tell if you're serious or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I can't tell if you're serious or not.

Either they're not they're misinformed.

http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/mrrogers.asp