Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

How good *are* Stealth Blades anyway? Can the robot actually kill someone quietly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Speedball posted:

How good *are* Stealth Blades anyway? Can the robot actually kill someone quietly?

I don't know about companion but a player with perks for it gets something like x13.5 bonus damage on stealth stabbing. When you backstab someone in power armour. The game registers so much damage that all the pieces of the suit are instantly destroyed and fly all over the place as they collapse in a regular frame.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Speedball posted:

Allegedly, yes.
More than once I had Codsworth tackle a chump and stab their chest a dozen times without everyone noticing.
However, those are extremely rare cases where I was moving him around manually out of LOS.

In regular play, just go with the hammer saws

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Speedball posted:

Can the robot actually kill someone quietly?

If a sentry bots cores go nuclear and there are no survivors, did it make a sound?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

Allegedly, yes.
More than once I had Codsworth tackle a chump and stab their chest a dozen times without everyone noticing.
However, those are extremely rare cases where I was moving him around manually out of LOS.

In regular play, just go with the hammer saws

Ohhh, so that's where that animation that plays in the trailer comes from--where a robot jumps on a guy and stabs him a bunch.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Jonesy posted:

If a sentry bots cores go nuclear and there are no survivors, did it make a sound?

If you get the penetrator perk, can you target fusion cores and sentry bot reactors?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Melee with blitz and crit banking and all the sneak multipliers is just straight up broken as hell

lite_sleepr posted:

If you get the penetrator perk, can you target fusion cores and sentry bot reactors?

From what I have been told of this perk, it's Real Bad. What you're describing may be the best use for it but even then if it's like it is normally you'll be able to target it, but do almost no damage to it and have a bad chance in VATS.

It'd be a fun perk for a wounding minigun if it didn't require VATS tho

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Epic High Five posted:

Melee with blitz and crit banking and all the sneak multipliers is just straight up broken as hell

Add in Grim Reaper and it's a nonstop VATS critfest too

quote:

From what I have been told of this perk, it's Real Bad. What you're describing may be the best use for it but even then if it's like it is normally you'll be able to target it, but do almost no damage to it and have a bad chance in VATS.

Counterpoint: Penetrator is Real Good. Even at massive ranges the fusion cores on sentry bots were at 95% even when the rest of it was 40 or less. You can Quigley enemies occasionally. It's hit or miss on shooting through walls, but it seems to work as long as they are directly using the wall as cover as opposed to standing a ways back (like before you get spotted).

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
The more I try to get myself excited for a new playthrough with a new character, the more I'm reminded of Preston and the loving Institute and I just can't.

Also dang good reference. I need to watch Quigley Down Under again.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jun 7, 2016

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

lite_sleepr posted:

You aren't taking out an assaultrons at level one, or ten.

If you go up there before level 28 you are going to spawn T-55 or something instead of x-01, so that's irrelevant.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

lite_sleepr posted:

The more I try to get myself excited for a new playthrough with a new character, the more I'm reminded of Preston and the loving Institute and I just can't.

Also dang good reference. I need to watch Quigley Down Under again.

The dlc seems better but I haven't beat it yet. Just create a character, lvl up all your stats to 10 and then give yourself the exp to lvl to 15 and do the xpac.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Trying to get close to the whacky dude in my av:

Wrestling with this creator is not as fun on console, for sure. Looking at it /timg made me realize how awful it is. I continue to gently caress with it.
I have a pretty good Nic Cage I should post.

Second attempt: Closer?

It's tough for me to get his likeness.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jun 7, 2016

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I like Fallout 4.

I think I like it more than the average person, if I had to wager.

I play Fallout 4 several hours per week. Sometimes I just dink around building fun houses.

Fallout 4 is a BULLSHIT game because there is no ending where you bring forth the glorious future under the banner of the Cabot House.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

I like Fallout 4.

I think I like it more than the average person, if I had to wager.

I play Fallout 4 several hours per week. Sometimes I just dink around building fun houses.

Fallout 4 is a BULLSHIT game because there is no ending where you bring forth the glorious future under the banner of the Cabot House.

I love how their commando/personal butler Edward is just so calm through all of their poo poo.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Inzombiac posted:

I like to imagine I'm the immortal tyrant ruling over the institute with an iron fist

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Firstborn posted:

Trying to get close to the whacky dude in my av:

Wrestling with this creator is not as fun on console, for sure. Looking at it /timg made me realize how awful it is. I continue to gently caress with it.

Second attempt: Closer?

It's tough for me to get his likeness.

My favorite thing with the face creator is when I tried to make my own face but accidentally made Kellog's face. It happened because we share features such as a cheek scar, balding head, and etc. and I didn't go exact with it, but it was hilarious since I didn't notice till I went to go save Valentine.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

You also can't get a decorative version of his headdress.

gently caress!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

You also can't get a decorative version of his headdress.

gently caress!

Yeah, why can't you put on the evil artifact hat and give yourself immortality blood? C'mon!

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Epic High Five posted:

crits will always hit as long as you have at least a 1% chance of hitting so there's that at least

Firstborn posted:

:justpost:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Why does the vault 118 key unlock?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

NESguerilla posted:

Why does the vault 118 key unlock?

Why NOT?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I just started noticing there are tire tracks all over the place in this game that make zero sense in a setting where there's apparently been no working vehicles for 200 years.

Of course once you start nitpicking the setting like that, you quickly realize it's all completely ridiculous. Buildings would have all collapsed completely, cars would be completely unrecognizable as anything but vague lumps of rust, plants would have completely overgrown everything, coastlines would probably have changed a lot and sea level probably would have risen. Any location where people had been scavenging for decades, let alone centuries, would have been completely picked clean of anything useful, and people wouldn't move in somewhere without cleaning up the clutter or at least moving the skeletons.

I'm pretty much willing it ignore all of that because whatever, it's a game, and it looks pretty. But for some reason the tire tracks really annoy me.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

lite_sleepr posted:

You aren't taking out an assaultrons at level one, or ten.

I think you can spawn them, retreat down the elevator and mini nuke them from the next building over.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Entropic posted:

I just started noticing there are tire tracks all over the place in this game that make zero sense in a setting where there's apparently been no working vehicles for 200 years.

Of course once you start nitpicking the setting like that, you quickly realize it's all completely ridiculous. Buildings would have all collapsed completely, cars would be completely unrecognizable as anything but vague lumps of rust, plants would have completely overgrown everything, coastlines would probably have changed a lot and sea level probably would have risen. Any location where people had been scavenging for decades, let alone centuries, would have been completely picked clean of anything useful, and people wouldn't move in somewhere without cleaning up the clutter or at least moving the skeletons.

I'm pretty much willing it ignore all of that because whatever, it's a game, and it looks pretty. But for some reason the tire tracks really annoy me.

Well for the tracks at least there are Brahmin carts and such around that could probably account for them. But yeah, in general the whole aesthetic only makes sense for like a few years after the bombs.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah the skeletons everywhere in particular really always make it feel like the bombs dropped a month and a half ago.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

A lot of suspension of physics is required. For example there would be very little radiation still left over after 200 years and society would be much more advanced probably, in addition to a hundred other things like there being almost no loot in things like safes and dressers etc

but that wouldn't be as much fun!

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

If they set it, say, a year after the bombs dropped, would it even be plausible for people to be around?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Speedball posted:

Yeah, why can't you put on the evil artifact hat and give yourself immortality blood? C'mon!

:colbert: I said decorative :colbert:

But if you side with him you get to suckle at his immortal teat for precious Mystery Serum.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Automatron is a lot more fun than I expected. The Tesla rifle, despite looking like a child's Nerf gun, is a very fun weapon, and works well with my Rifle / Pistol VATS guy.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Really, a game like Fallout should be set like 50 years after the bombs. Long enough after for there not to be many people around who remember pre-war times, but short enough that the ruins are still recognizable and there's still salvage to be had as areas are re-colonized.

But whatever, this is a franchise with two-headed cows, talking plants, vacuum-tube powered robots and rocket-powered sledgehammers, I'm not actually going to hold it to too high a standard of realism. I just wish they'd try a little, and at least try to be somewhat consistent.

I think the main problem is that they keep jumping forward in time for no good reason. At this rate Fallout 6 will be set like 500 years after the war and there'll still be pristine bottles of Nuka Cola everywhere.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Jfc not the "200 years/radiation" poo poo again.

Has there been any news about what's next for DLC yet?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
All I've seen are the Nuka World rumors

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance

Magmarashi posted:

Jfc not the "200 years/radiation" poo poo again.

Has there been any news about what's next for DLC yet?

Nuka World and a couple more workshop DLCs if data mining is to be believed.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Playing a stealth build with blitz and the rockville slugger is amazing, going into a room and teleporting around one hit killing everyone in it looks ridiculous.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I want a small DLC/mod centered around customizable, personal vertibirds. Also includes helipads, chauffeurs and liveries.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rinkles posted:

I want a small DLC/mod centered around customizable, personal vertibirds. Also includes helipads, chauffeurs and liveries.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/12135/

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Dogmeat has straight up disappeared from my survival game. I noticed he was missing when I was sneaking around Corvega and he didn't alert all the enemies to my presence. I checked Red Rocket and he is not there and I know I have not dismissed him.
Is there any other place he could be? Could he be sitting somewhere waiting for me to stimpack him? I noticed that I didn't get a waypoint to revive him after he "died" a couple of times.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
it's possible he's just gotten himself stuck someplace. Ada just stopped on a hillside and refused to move in my game. She finally unstuck after I went and hired on a different companion, you could try that. Pick up Piper, then check out red rocket in a day or two?

Otherwise you could use the console if you're on a pc and teleport to him. If not, the only surefire way I know to get him to teleport to you is the reunions quest, but that's a bit down the line from you usually end up in Corvega.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

TjyvTompa posted:

Dogmeat has straight up disappeared from my survival game. I noticed he was missing when I was sneaking around Corvega and he didn't alert all the enemies to my presence. I checked Red Rocket and he is not there and I know I have not dismissed him.
Is there any other place he could be? Could he be sitting somewhere waiting for me to stimpack him? I noticed that I didn't get a waypoint to revive him after he "died" a couple of times.

I believe all companions go back to Sanctuary if you don't stimpak then, and Dogmeat is drawn to any doghouses, of which there are three pre-built behind houses (the first house on the right, the house with flamingos and the collapsed one furthest from the entrance)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
What I like about penetrator is the aesthetics. It makes bullets penetrate enemies in vats and hit other things (visual only)

(see sparks by door console)

The problem I have with the penetrator perk is that it does reduced damage based on how thick the surface is that it pierced before hitting the target. This is not reflected in the vats damage estimate. While at the same time it conceals what parts of an enemy is behind cover and what isn't.

So if you have a raider partially covered by a crate and some other junk. You activate VATs and it says: 95% chance to hit everything. You aim at the torso and it shows as a killing blow. Hitting him in the arm would also be a killing blow but the torso is a reliable target. When you then fire, the shot pierces the corner of a crate and then hits the torso for 30% reduced damage. The raider now survives the shot. If you hadn't had the penetrator perk then what VATs would have shown you would be something like 20% chance to hit torso, 5% chance on a leg and maybe 90% on an arm. In which case you would have shot the arm instead for a killing shot.

This becomes very problematic when you select multiple targets and expect to kill 4 enemies but nr 1 and 3 survive with partial health even though VATs showed that they would die.

Other screenshots.

Why is there blood on my collar? I have been playing this game since the launch and I have never noticed lingering blood stains.

Aluminium tray containing no aluminium

Mirelurk with its shell blown off. I thought it was a bug but apparently it's just a creepy feature that disturbed me more than other forms of gore I've seen in this game.

I killed a Brotherhood of Steel patrol from the other side of the dock at night. (I'm BOS aligned but their patrols are too much fun to not kill)

One of the Knights fell back against a wall and remained upright while he was dead. His light was still pointed in my direction so I thought he was still alive and kept shooting him. As I shot him the light started moving from the impact of the shots which made me even more convinced that he was alive. I used up ridiculous amounts of ammo before I finally approached. The main problem was that crossing the harbour in power armour is a lot of :effort: so I couldn't just gradually approach him during the fight.

• Locked thread