Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I'm very impressed with how well this runs on my laptop. Full speed just zips along

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I just noticed I'm missing the Poland DLC. Where do I go to download it?

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Gail Wynand posted:

Am I a nazi if I install a realistic Nazi flag mod, I just want a realistic flag :-(

Employ appropriate internet meme for maximum deniability...

((()))

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Empress Theonora posted:

Does anybody have any advice for France? I'd like to join the Allies and stick with Britain if possible, which means I can't really use the communist France stream as a model. I'm probably going to play on easy difficulty since this is my first real attempt at playing Hearts of Iron IV (I gave HoI 3 a few hours and found it entirely baffling), but some starting advice would be nice anyway. One thing I'm worried about in particular is that I've seen Nationalist Spain join the Axis and suddenly open up a southern front in France a lot in streams, but it seems like there isn't any way to help the Republicans unless you're Communist. So I'm not sure what my strategy there should be beyond just pray the Republicans win for once.

You might be able to send volunteers, but only a few divisions. Still, that can really help.

Really apart from declaring war on Switzerland, you can pretty much follow the communist french stream. You'll be more reactive in terms of when the war starts, but otherwise you can follow the same general principles.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

podcat posted:

select/create a command group and click the "new theater" button on the right

Thanks! I'm at work now, but that will really help out when I get back tonight.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
I tried some USSR for the evening, starting in '36 and playing until mid '39. Will probably restart tomorrow.

Trip report: Zhukov and 5 armored divisions won the Spanish civil war for the republican side, suck it Franco. :ussr: I then started out manufacturing my own war justifications on Finland and later Sweden and Norway while nationally focusing on other things. Finland ... did not do well. Sweden ... mostly didn't do well, although I should've prepared more than one naval invasion since they took a pretty good while to chew through. They sunk half my Baltic fleet since my naval bombers decided not to show up, which complicated matters.

As I was getting round to Norway tension was at 100% and the Axis-Allied war kicked off, over German intervention in Romania rather than over Poland. I figured I could sneak Norway while they were busy and then pounce on the krauts but nope, Norway joined the Allies midway through and then capitulated to me a few days later, leaving me at war with a bunch of people I didn't border. I occupied Romania since it was nearby, then kinda lost my appetite. It's hard to get from Moscow to Paris when Germany and Poland still exist.

Opinions:
1. It seems like a pretty good wargame for the not-quite-so-grognard, which is what I was hoping for. Play with army men and paint the map red.

2. The planning AI has definite pros and cons. I was intending to let the AI do mop up and general advances while I micromanage a few armor and motorized divisions, that sort of thing. That worked for the most part, but the AI has a hard time dealing with the front getting split as you drive for the coast/border/etc. At that point it'll split the forces that were along the one front to the two new fronts, including the bits you're controlling. If you end up sending a tank division off to the other front than what the AI arbitrarily decided, which is easily done, then the AI will suddenly take over and strategically redeploy your tank two provinces over, which is loving infuriating.

3. Relatedly, there seems to be no way for a front to cover more than one opposing nation, which I suspect is why the AI countries tend to fall apart when invaded by multiple opponents. The planning system just doesn't provide a mechanism that lets them deal with it.

4. On the better side I could plan some fairly elaborate multi-stage invasions as long as I didn't worry about getting grand encirclements like Literally Hitler. You can set up the plan to stop along specific rivers, then manually handle the crossing, then turn it on for the next push and so on.

5. It's not spectacularly obvious what the ramifications of different diplomatic actions are or how the AI majors will respond to aggression at different stages. It would be nice if the wardec screen at least gave me a vague hint that Norway would be joined by half the world even though no one guaranteed their independence at the time. It makes sense that Britain would dislike my unchecked aggression and all, I'd just like to the game to actually tell me about it.

6. I can make the air wing interface do what I want well enough, but it's a lot more tedious than I figured. I was expecting to be able to assign wings to a base and a region, but right now it seems I need to disband and recreate the wings all the damned time. Not sure if I'm missing something.

What I was hoping is that when clicking on a region I'd get a list of air wings sorted by distance. I can select one with a base and mission I don't care about, rebase it and give it a new mission in the new area. What I am getting is that when clicking on a region I get a list of bases sorted by distance and then I have to manually ensure those have airwings in place. If I click the auto rebase button then it'll shove every single plane into the closest airfield, regardless of the size of that airfield.

7. Aces are neat, I have a pair in charge of their own little 10 man squads (which increases the ace bonuses by 10x) and they're at least not getting shot down. It's hard to tell how efficient they are compared to the non-aced wings of 1000 fighters.

8. Likewise, it's hard to tell what happened with fleet battles. I though I'd be able to beat the Swedish fleet with my Baltic fleet. I couldn't, and I still don't quite know why. I'm also not sure why my 500 air superiority fighters operating in the baltic opted to sit that one fleet battle out rather than shoot down the Swedish torpedo bombers.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jun 7, 2016

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Drone posted:

The caps on number of buildings allowed per state are preventing me from making Canada a superpower like I could in HOI2 :(

Game good though.

Tech will help you unlock more slots. I mean Canada is more manpower limited than anything else, really. I didn't have any problem equipping 48 heavily armed divisions, but if I trained more than that I'd be out of mans.

Neobdragon
Jun 30, 2013
There definitely needs to be a large reduction in naval invasions, I was having to deal with the British landing on the French coast once a month.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I have not enjoyed a single game in the Hearts of Iron franchise. I do not expect to enjoy this one.

I bought it anyway.

Please use my money to make more games I can sink thousands of hours into that aren't Hearts of Iron. :v:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Podcat why did you break support for pen input. It's worked in every previous game.

Now my carpel tunnel will keep me from playing. :(

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
So where exactly is the best place to put artillery in an infantry division? It seems useless to put one slot in the left support column when it could be filled with a medic or signal company. Im thinking of having 1-2x artillery in every infantry column does that sound cool beans?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Gaj posted:

So where exactly is the best place to put artillery in an infantry division? It seems useless to put one slot in the left support column when it could be filled with a medic or signal company. Im thinking of having 1-2x artillery in every infantry column does that sound cool beans?

Artillery support company should be in literally every division you make

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I just noticed I'm missing the Poland DLC. Where do I go to download it?

Pretty sure it isn't released yet. Will take some days before we get it, I assume.

I really want to play as UK but it seems real daunting to have such a stretched out empire like that. Same with USA.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
So how much of a disaster has this game shaped up to be? Given how the AI acted and how hopefully the initial shine has faded (Like it did with Stellaris), is it another mess that needs 3 patches and 5 DLC expansions to fix?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

SkySteak posted:

So how much of a disaster has this game shaped up to be? Given how the AI acted and how hopefully the initial shine has faded (Like it did with Stellaris), is it another mess that needs 3 patches and 5 DLC expansions to fix?

I doubt anyone is going to know that until the initial shine has actually faded.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

This is my first time ever playing a Hearts of Iron game. I decided to go with United Kingdom. I'm trying my best to get to grips with the game but I'm not sure if I'm doing things right: it's currently 1937 and I've not been able to attack anyone. Everyone I select and go to diplomacy with has the "Justify War Reason" greyed out.

All I'm doing right now is building up my civ factories, producing a surplus of military weapons and training a couple of divisions. Am I doing ok?

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
Poland surviving a little too long for anyone else?

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

Loopoo posted:

This is my first time ever playing a Hearts of Iron game. I decided to go with United Kingdom. I'm trying my best to get to grips with the game but I'm not sure if I'm doing things right: it's currently 1937 and I've not been able to attack anyone. Everyone I select and go to diplomacy with has the "Justify War Reason" greyed out.

All I'm doing right now is building up my civ factories, producing a surplus of military weapons and training a couple of divisions. Am I doing ok?

Allies can't do much until the world tension percentage goes up. If you look up in the upper right hand corner you can see what it's currently at. If you mouse over your faction you can see what percentage levels are required for various things.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Loopoo posted:

If youre playing historical all you can do is prepare to curbstomp Germany into the ground

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Wooper posted:

France abandoned Maginot to attack Germany? Wow.

I've seen that happen a bunch.

I guess we'll hear about stuff like that on Friday?

Sulla
May 10, 2008
What is this about?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Sulla posted:

What is this about?

It means deployed manpower.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
I don't mind a little "what if" even with historical focus on. France doing well is cool. Poland surviving into '41 is just strange.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

slavatuvs posted:

I don't mind a little "what if" even with historical focus on. France doing well is cool. Poland surviving into '41 is just strange.

What's Germany's situation beyond that? I could see how problems elsewhere could lead to the war in Poland getting bogged down.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Xerophyte posted:

I tried some USSR for the evening, starting in '36 and playing until mid '39. Will probably restart tomorrow.

Trip report: Zhukov and 5 armored divisions won the Spanish civil war for the republican side, suck it Franco. :ussr: I then started out manufacturing my own war justifications on Finland and later Sweden and Norway while nationally focusing on other things. Finland ... did not do well. Sweden ... mostly didn't do well, although I should've prepared more than one naval invasion since they took a pretty good while to chew through. They sunk half my Baltic fleet since my naval bombers decided not to show up, which complicated matters.

As I was getting round to Norway tension was at 100% and the Axis-Allied war kicked off, over German intervention in Romania rather than over Poland. I figured I could sneak Norway while they were busy and then pounce on the krauts but nope, Norway joined the Allies midway through and then capitulated to me a few days later, leaving me at war with a bunch of people I didn't border. I occupied Romania since it was nearby, then kinda lost my appetite. It's hard to get from Moscow to Paris when Germany and Poland still exist.

Opinions:
1. It seems like a pretty good wargame for the not-quite-so-grognard, which is what I was hoping for. Play with army men and paint the map red.

2. The planning AI has definite pros and cons. I was intending to let the AI do mop up and general advances while I micromanage a few armor and motorized divisions, that sort of thing. That worked for the most part, but the AI has a hard time dealing with the front getting split as you drive for the coast/border/etc. At that point it'll split the forces that were along the one front to the two new fronts, including the bits you're controlling. If you end up sending a tank division off to the other front than what the AI arbitrarily decided, which is easily done, then the AI will suddenly take over and strategically redeploy your tank two provinces over, which is loving infuriating.

3. Relatedly, there seems to be no way for a front to cover more than one opposing nation, which I suspect is why the AI countries tend to fall apart when invaded by multiple opponents. The planning system just doesn't provide a mechanism that lets them deal with it.

4. On the better side I could plan some fairly elaborate multi-stage invasions as long as I didn't worry about getting grand encirclements like Literally Hitler. You can set up the plan to stop along specific rivers, then manually handle the crossing, then turn it on for the next push and so on.

5. It's not spectacularly obvious what the ramifications of different diplomatic actions are or how the AI majors will respond to aggression at different stages. It would be nice if the wardec screen at least gave me a vague hint that Norway would be joined by half the world even though no one guaranteed their independence at the time. It makes sense that Britain would dislike my unchecked aggression and all, I'd just like to the game to actually tell me about it.

6. I can make the air wing interface do what I want well enough, but it's a lot more tedious than I figured. I was expecting to be able to assign wings to a base and a region, but right now it seems I need to disband and recreate the wings all the damned time. Not sure if I'm missing something.

What I was hoping is that when clicking on a region I'd get a list of air wings sorted by distance. I can select one with a base and mission I don't care about, rebase it and give it a new mission in the new area. What I am getting is that when clicking on a region I get a list of bases sorted by distance and then I have to manually ensure those have airwings in place. If I click the auto rebase button then it'll shove every single plane into the closest airfield, regardless of the size of that airfield.

7. Aces are neat, I have a pair in charge of their own little 10 man squads (which increases the ace bonuses by 10x) and they're at least not getting shot down. It's hard to tell how efficient they are compared to the non-aced wings of 1000 fighters.

8. Likewise, it's hard to tell what happened with fleet battles. I though I'd be able to beat the Swedish fleet with my Baltic fleet. I couldn't, and I still don't quite know why. I'm also not sure why my 500 air superiority fighters operating in the baltic opted to sit that one fleet battle out rather than shoot down the Swedish torpedo bombers.

Aces' stat boosts scale with the squadron size so feel free to put them wherever.

Also airplanes cant be everywhere at once. Make sure your coverage and efficiency is high.

You can make wings and transfer those wings to airbases around without disbanding the wing. Click the wing, control click airbase. Or right click.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

stupid noob question: how do i get the AI to take over scary things like production?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

slavatuvs posted:

Uh, a little what if could have very easily lead to Poland surviving into '41. Poland didn't just collapse overnight or anything man, it lost because two giant armies invaded it on both sides at the same time, and completely cut off it's army from being able to do anything. And even then they held off long enough that the UK/France could have stopped the war very quickly had they engaged. Poland fell so quickly because it's government/military read the writing on the wall as soon as Soviet troops hit their borders, and evacuated pretty much everything to England to start the underground war.

There's like, a billion whatifs that could have led to a Poland surviving the war scenario.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Oh dear me posted:

Oh god no. I really wanted this game, but that rules it out for me, unless it gets fixed in a patch.

Do you guys really not have the 2 fingers to scroll?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

nopantsjack posted:

stupid noob question: how do i get the AI to take over scary things like production?

You can't.

Crash74
May 11, 2009
So how do you produce missiles? Do they spawn like nukes or something?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

SuicideSnowman posted:

Allies can't do much until the world tension percentage goes up. If you look up in the upper right hand corner you can see what it's currently at. If you mouse over your faction you can see what percentage levels are required for various things.

Thanks a bunch, good to hear I'm not doing anything wrong on my part then.

What's some advice you could give me for my first war? I've got 23 units or something (divisions? I've no idea) and I was planning on doing a huge coastal attack on Germany once poo poo kicks off. I heard men can die from attrition if they don't get enough supplies. Any general advice like that would be appreciated, so I don't throw my men into a meat grinder.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

Phi230 posted:

Aces' stat boosts scale with the squadron size so feel free to put them wherever.

Also airplanes cant be everywhere at once. Make sure your coverage and efficiency is high.

You can make wings and transfer those wings to airbases around without disbanding the wing. Click the wing, control click airbase. Or right click.

Aces scale inversely with squadron size. A size 10 squadron gets 10x the listed benefits, i.e. +50% agility and +30% speed, then going down to where a size 100+ gets exactly the listed one of +5% agility and +3% speed. If you actually want to keep them you should almost certainly not stick them wherever.

I am aware of how the coverage works, yes. I did not figure out that control-click would transfer though, thanks.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Game is good

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Huh so...I just played like 8 hours of this game. It's been a good while since even another Paradox game sucked me in that hard!

This was fun, I went with the US, decided to go communist on shits and giggles, wound up stuck in a civil war with the real America that had me getting my rear end kicked until the Soviets invited me to their Cool Commie Club and sent over a fuckin wave of soldiers to help me out.

So now the US is a communist dictatorship and I've been taking the national focus stuff that puts me on track to wind up taking over the UK and Canada, because gently caress em I guess, but right now I'm fabricating a war claim on Denmark because I could use a sweet staging area for my awesome airforce and navy. Somehow this all falls in line with my recent shift to 'anti-imperialism' though!

I really can't speak much for the AI since my only experience with it has been this civil war, but the US wasn't a pushover in it. It took me a bit of maneuvering to get to a place where I could just blob the last stronghold they had left and take the war. It wasn't the most challenging thing ever but there wasn't something stupid like 'I'm marching to your seat of power and you have all your forces chilling on the Mexican border because I guess you gotta watch those guys more' stuff. My biggest issue, and I think this mainly was only relevant because I was marching across the US, is the planning AI is very bad about mopping up little gaps in territory, so I had a good few times when I had to send a division back real quick to take care of a little blob of disgusting pigdog capitalists when really I think the dudes I told to march to the new front should have handled it.

Aside from that my only real quibble is, as others said, naval battles are a bit smokescreened. I did a decent bit of sea fighting to get ports and all and it still feels like I don't know what 'beats' what and all, and it's more a matter of just having a bigger ship blob than anything.

Sulla
May 10, 2008

Demiurge4 posted:

It means deployed manpower.

Thanks. That seems a little obtuse though...how do I check the amount of manpower "in the field"?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I'm planning on playing France and siding with Germany. I can't wait until I can get back to my laptop to do so. That says good things about the game.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

How did they manage to put WASD scrolling in Stellaris and then not in this?

Does the location of a factory matter at all, or will a factory in Iowa be the same to me as a factory in Baltimore?

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
How do I get new carrier fighters? I have the same ones as when I started as Japan and it's not obvious how to develop new ones. Or do the carriers just load the latest models of naval bombers, etc?

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

-Troika- posted:

How do I get new carrier fighters? I have the same ones as when I started as Japan and it's not obvious how to develop new ones. Or do the carriers just load the latest models of naval bombers, etc?

All of the light aircraft (left side tree) can be researched further to develop a carrier version.

E: Specifically, there's a little carrier button in the top right of the airplane's icon for each of those, which you click to research the naval variant. There does not appear to be one for jet aircraft.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jun 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

JerikTelorian posted:

How did they manage to put WASD scrolling in Stellaris and then not in this?

Does the location of a factory matter at all, or will a factory in Iowa be the same to me as a factory in Baltimore?

As far as I can tell, you don't wanna stick Military Factories near frontlines or provinces that could potentially get taken. I mean, I have no idea if there's differences to putting them different places, but I figured if I were to be attacked, I'd rather lose some civ factories than have my military factories get taken and end up with all my military supplies taking a massive hit.