Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

So, I've been getting back into Defense Grid again, on Steam, and was wondering what the best and closest game to that on Android would be? Really, a polished tower defense game, preferably not bogged down by f2p bullshit. Don't mind using survey bucks.
I'm a fan of D. G., and I've only found a few td games that match it.
Plants vs zombies is the best one, although too easy. No IAP required. Worth a play through.

Radiant defense is amazing. You'll need to buy at least one of the premium towers to finish it, unless you don't mind replaying single waves literally hundreds of times. I've finished it with one premium tower, and now I'm beating my head against it without the flamethrower tower, which I lost when I changed devices.

Jelly defense is awesome as well. It does require you to tap to pick up coins constantly during game play. No IAP at all.

I'm grinding IAP in Castle TD2 right now. Stay away, I'm only still playing because I don't understand the sunk costs fallacy. If you were to try to buy enough IAP to finish the hard mode without grinding you'd spend hundreds of $.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
For Skyforce, make sure to unlock the laser/shield/megabomb at some point, I don't like them because you have to buy ammo for them before each mission but just by having them unlocked means you will sometimes get them as random drops off enemies.

And I'd just like to say gently caress mission 5.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Mission 5 on Insanity is, well...insanity.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
I'm struggling getting all the medals on easy. I think I need to use bullet time more.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Len posted:

In Skyforce Reloaded is there a trick to getting ship parts and other poo poo like that to drop? Or is it just completely random and RNG dependent?

There is a plane you can unlock that give better card drop chance but has extremely low health, like 1 hit and your dead health. And of course cards don't do anything unless you finish the mission.I believe this also triggers the drop rate of the parts as they seem to come from the same spots the cards do. Most maps have a certain one or two crates or whatever that drops the card/parts.

There is also a card that increases card drop too. It is card 01 in the list.

I have been farming stage 6 on normal because I can complete it easy and get about 1200 credits each run with the coin doubler and there is a crate that gives a card/part about every 3-4 times with just the regular planes.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Knightmare posted:

And I'd just like to say gently caress mission 5.

In my opinion it's easier than mission five in the 2014 version. Still a pain in the rear end, though.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I played a game called Mazebert TD, and it was very strange, but it was also a lot of fun to figure out how the different towers worked together. Definitely very strange theming (each tower is a person or creature, of some kind), but there's lots of complexity when it comes to towers buffing other towers, etc. The only other TD game I've ever really liked is Kingdom Rush.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
One game I was wondering about was why Leo's Fortune was so popular for performance preview videos of people testing the capabilities of devices.

Now I know why. That game is gorgeous. I have a few games in my Humble Bundle inventory I can now give a real shot

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Apologies if this has already been posted, but in Nonstop Knight you can hold down the upgrade button when improving your items to quickly add multiple levels. Helpful after earning a ton of offline money.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Well, I tried out Freeblade. My phone handles it without any problems. It looks great, is fun. Had to install The World Ends With You Solo Remix because it's a great game.

Any recommended (free) racing games? I do have Sonic And Sega All Stars Racing and Riptide 2 in my humble inventory.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Asphalt and real racing are pretty good free* racing games.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
I haven't played Real Racing for a long time, but I did always like it. Some of the stuff comes off as worse than it really is. Yeah, there are repair times and upgrade times and stuff, but once you have 2 or 3 cars, you can just juggle back and forth between them to be able to race whenever you want.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
Nonstop Knights chat: Frenzy Potion doesn't work if the game is closed at all, which kinda sucks. Also, does the game open up beyond the percentage upgrades when ascending? I'm used to this type of game having some additional complexity and this is like earlier clicker game design where the only reward is higher numbers.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I am able to get to about level 175, and aside from the 3 star items having unique bonus abilities, and some of the skill subtypes having unique effects (like a decoy clone that pulls the attention of enemies), I think that it's basically a boring grind after this.

At least Time Clickers had a cool persistent upgrade skill tree to work on between "ascensions."

Dirty Needles
Jul 3, 2008
More Nonstop Knight, is it me or are the bosses repeating at low levels already? I'm in the 70s and I'm sure I've had that pack leader carl a couple of times in the same run.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Looks like a new wave of Pokémon Go betas went out today because I got an email invite about two hours ago.

Zander13
Apr 6, 2011

ihatepants posted:

Looks like a new wave of Pokémon Go betas went out today because I got an email invite about two hours ago.

I got one too, but I couldn't download it on my phone. It would let me join the beta tester group.

*edit: They just sent another email with a repair link. Guess they are getting overloaded.

Zander13 fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jun 7, 2016

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Zander13 posted:

I got one too, but I couldn't download it on my phone. It would let me join the beta tester group.

*edit: They just sent another email with a repair link. Guess they are getting overloaded.

in the original link there was an extra C in the address, if you took it out you could have loaded it up fine. I'm also in the beta.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

Dirty Needles posted:

More Nonstop Knight, is it me or are the bosses repeating at low levels already? I'm in the 70s and I'm sure I've had that pack leader carl a couple of times in the same run.

Yeah, I've noticed that. There are probably about 5 or 6 different bosses it picks from. I am really looking forward to them expanding on the game but feel like I've seen all there is at this point. It's a nice change of pace having skills to interact with in a game like this instead of just mindless tapping.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

FadedReality posted:

Yeah, I've noticed that. There are probably about 5 or 6 different bosses it picks from. I am really looking forward to them expanding on the game but feel like I've seen all there is at this point. It's a nice change of pace having skills to interact with in a game like this instead of just mindless tapping.

Seems like it could be expanded pretty easily, if they decided to go that route. Just add more 'classes' which are essentially collections of new buttons. Some more boss variety and scenery variety might be nice too, although that's pretty much just cosmetic. At least, I assume the level design never changes. I'm only pushing floor 100 currently, but it's all been the same drab stone generic dungeon look.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I did find it a little more fun recently, because I couldn't push any deeper on a run without waiting far too long to find enough gold to upgrade, so I ended up picking the stun version of the ground slam, the leap that makes an extra clone, and the decoy clone. I just balanced those 3 cooldowns and enemies never touch me. It seems to work fairly well on bosses, too, but you have to be careful with summoned minions, sometimes they are too far from the boss to notice the clone, or the boss is too far to notice it.

So I guess that was a little bit of unexpected depth. Otherwise it's just a prettier, battery-hungry Tap Titans with an annoying tendency to need to reload if you check your homescreen for more than 4 seconds.

Zander13
Apr 6, 2011

Blackchamber posted:

in the original link there was an extra C in the address, if you took it out you could have loaded it up fine. I'm also in the beta.

So first thoughts, It is pretty cool. Similar to ingress as far as getting you out. Doesn't have a great tutorial, trying to find the relationship to catch the pokemon with the ring around just can't nail it.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Zander13 posted:

So first thoughts, It is pretty cool. Similar to ingress as far as getting you out. Doesn't have a great tutorial, trying to find the relationship to catch the pokemon with the ring around just can't nail it.

I caught a squirtle that was inside my computer desk, but I haven't left my apartment to hunt anything yet. Gonna see what's prowling around work tonight.

Hopefully it won't be a hackfest ingress became with GPS spoofing. But it likely will.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
Is there anything kind of like Summoners Wars but for dummies?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Do you mean:
Summoners War
or
Summoner Wars

They're two different games. The latter is older card game brought to mobile, the former is a collect/battle grind game. And if you do mean the former somehow, come ask in the thread/discord for help, we're always happy to help new people.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

FadedReality posted:

I'm digging this game because it precisely came up at a time when I wanted a data-limited game that had an active (using skills, etc) mode and an idle mode.

I am finding that I'm not making a ton of progress in idle mode, though. Like, I can leave it up for a few minutes and kill ~30 monsters, but leave it off for an hour+ and it says it only killed 100 monsters.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

The very good board game Castles of Mad King Ludwig now has an app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mobilecastles.castles

I haven't had a chance to try the app yet, but the board game is very fun, you buy room tiles from a trade row and take turns adding them to the starting room to slowly build a castle, with some special scoring and trading mechanisms along the way. App is $7, but hey I have so much Google survey cash it's not like it costs anything. If it's half as fun as playing the actual board game, it's definitely worth the money.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Viper915 posted:

The very good board game Castles of Mad King Ludwig now has an app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mobilecastles.castles

I haven't had a chance to try the app yet, but the board game is very fun, you buy room tiles from a trade row and take turns adding them to the starting room to slowly build a castle, with some special scoring and trading mechanisms along the way. App is $7, but hey I have so much Google survey cash it's not like it costs anything. If it's half as fun as playing the actual board game, it's definitely worth the money.

Thanks I have actually been wanting to try the board game version but haven't yet. Now I can learn it on my phone before we play and school my friends. :)

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
gently caress all these lovely rear end games, it is Kairosoft Train Station time motherfuckers

https://twitter.com/kairokun2010/status/740518795698012160

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Goetta posted:

gently caress all these lovely rear end games, it is Kairosoft Train Station time motherfuckers

$5 plus IAP. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
The initial reviews say that the IAP stuff is just if you want to speed up xp gain stuff on something and that it doesn't feel very Free To Playish. I haven't opened it yet though.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Goetta posted:

The initial reviews say that the IAP stuff is just if you want to speed up xp gain stuff on something and that it doesn't feel very Free To Playish. I haven't opened it yet though.
What on earth does managing a train station entail? The last couple I've bought I've got bored of fast (tennis and something else). Nothing they've done recently seems to be as good as Game Dev and whatever the first football and car racing games were called.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Goetta posted:

This is what I have spent my life waiting for. :spergin:

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Some tips for Nonstop Knight:
- At lower levels your equipment won't be too special, but as you go deeper into the dungeon you'll find items that mesh well with skills you have. Double damage at full HP owns when you have a clone that heals you and moves that grant invincibility.
- Three star items give you tokens on ascension. They are always good drops.
- Don't reroll items unless you plan on spending money on this game.
- As far as I know, you can't die with your game closed. So if you hit a hard floor, close your game and get back to it later. Spend your money and get back to the action!
- I don't rely on critical hits but Crit Leap is awesome for boss fights if your gear is the right spec. Critical hit bonus is much more valuable when you can control when you crit!
- Sell old gear!
- Leveling cloak is largely irrelevant until the later floors. It's cheap to upgrade so you'll be able to level it whenever you need to.
- Always watch ads.
- Don't spend gems on anything temporary. Buying gold is a bit of a waste but buying tokens helps with permanent upgrades. Buying speed potions is a matter of preference, they are awesome but not permanent.

Agoat fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jun 9, 2016

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Agoat posted:

Some tips for Nonstop Knight:
- Leveling cloak is largely irrelevant until the later floors. It's cheap to upgrade so you'll be able to level it whenever you need to.

I have started dumping everything into cloak at low levels. One shotting bosses with slash is hilarious and works for a very long time.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Frogmanv2 posted:

I have started dumping everything into cloak at low levels. One shotting bosses with slash is hilarious and works for a very long time.

I one shot them with crit leap!

Also, don't save gold. New drops will always be roughly your current item level, usually higher. And when you unlock a new chest (such as the Ice Chest at floor 100) you will be able to find it at earlier levels, too.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
The guy who made Battleheart has a new game out called Lost Frontier. It's pretty much Advance Wars but with cowboys.

Also out for fighting game fans, this BlazBlue game.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Hey so I got something in Sky Force Reloaded I can't figure out. A crate icon suddenly appeared on stage 4 at the select stage screen, and if I start it, I get a green crate that I can interact with (shooting it makes it go forward, and having your ship close attracts it). After some effort I managed to get the crate to the end of the stage, assuming that would open it, but that didn't happen. Any of you know what I should do?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Dancer posted:

Hey so I got something in Sky Force Reloaded I can't figure out. A crate icon suddenly appeared on stage 4 at the select stage screen, and if I start it, I get a green crate that I can interact with (shooting it makes it go forward, and having your ship close attracts it). After some effort I managed to get the crate to the end of the stage, assuming that would open it, but that didn't happen. Any of you know what I should do?

Are you on stage 4 normal or hard? Also did you recently get a card that may have prompted this? I haven't seen anything like that myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm on Stage 4 Hard and have never seen that (and I just checked to see if it was a scheduled event).

Another interesting Sky Force question: there's a Play Games achievement for destroying all of the towers on mission 5. In the first game this was theoretically possible as you could dodge the no-weapons EMP pulse thing and keep shooting (especially on iOS where the pulse moved and turned significantly slower than on Android for some reason). In this game, however, the anti-weapon field stretches across the entire screen so I don't see how it could be avoided. Anyone have any ideas how this achievement might work?

Oh, and a Sky Force tip: if you're logged into Play Games you can go into the high scores screen and there's an icon for Play Games quests/missions which they've implemented but don't advertise anywhere so you have to manually go to this screen and activate it and then do the same again to collect the reward. These will get you 1000 bonus stars every few (two?) days for doing things like rescuing 100 people.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jun 9, 2016