Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

I've never actually played one, I thought you could just wander around doing whatever?

Yeah. That is pretty much it. You can go for the goal of paying off your debt to get a bigger house just to be able to put more random items inside, just chill and fish, chat with villagers whilst receiving oddjobs from them, or other stuff. It's quite a relaxing yet enjoyable sandbox to interact with through the bevy of things the game lets you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Sakurazuka posted:

I've never actually played one, I thought you could just wander around doing whatever?

Provided you know how to read, sure.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

That's pretty much it. There are some goals to hit, like paying off your house debt, but you don't need to ever actually do that if all you care about is hanging out and chatting with your cat, deer, and turkey friends. Basic reading skill is kind of required though.

Edit: The two replies above mine didn't show up on my phone for some reason, thanks Awful.app!

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jun 5, 2016

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
did Sakurai not direct? It's fine on its own but a weird followup to Superstar

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Just played the King's Gate race in Pocket Card Jockey and holy poo poo that orchestral remix of the main theme.

Also gently caress the manager person for putting me in the race, my horse was 84 speed and the slowest horse there was 130.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I think I am down to 4 trophies and that is one of them. I even did it once with a horse w/ approximately 230 points between sp/st AND over 90 enthusiasm at the end. Still lost. Since then I have started playing through story mode. (ride the horse that the owner wants you to ride and win something? before it retires, then the next owner shows up. Rinse and repeat.)

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

goferchan posted:

did Sakurai not direct? It's fine on its own but a weird followup to Superstar

Yo dawg I got you; Dream Land 2, Dream Land 3, and 64 all had the same director and are their own kinda self contained trilogy featuring Dark Matter and combining powers

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Also didn't super star and dream land 3 come out at the same time

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Waltzing Along posted:

I think I am down to 4 trophies and that is one of them. I even did it once with a horse w/ approximately 230 points between sp/st AND over 90 enthusiasm at the end. Still lost. Since then I have started playing through story mode. (ride the horse that the owner wants you to ride and win something? before it retires, then the next owner shows up. Rinse and repeat.)

Yeah, i'm focusing on the story but the blue horse the developer gives you got me 9/11 before maturing and got a time stop ability, so I went ahead and started the mature career with her. I'm also down 4 trophies and I just entered and lost another one I hadn't won before. Ugh. Regardless this horse owns and is gonna make some top-tier horses once i'm back into breeding.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the dark matter trilogy isn't as fun in its design as some kirby games but gently caress if dream land 3 and kirby 64 don't nail aesthetics down really well and have awesome final bosses

i wish more kirby games had short cutscenes like in kirby 64 where you get to see kirby and his super adventure crew messing with each other

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 5, 2016

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

The Colonel posted:

i wish more kirby games had short cutscenes like in kirby 64 where you get to see kirby and his super adventure crew messing with each other

Return to Dreamland seemed like it was going for this but those didn't have nearly as much personality and there was certainly nothing as great as Kirby getting obliterated by a tidal wave

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there were only, like, two of them in the entire game so they didn't even have any time to just show kirby and friends doing silly stuff

plus, while it was probably better for level design purposes, i was also kinda disappointed going from kirby 64 to return to dream land and losing the ridiculously cool detailed unique level backgrounds. it was a loving awesome kirby game though so i forgave it

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 5, 2016

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

All of the main-line Kirby games have a story tying them together (and a good deal of spin-offs too). It's almost impossible to really talk about though as the main character is a pink blob but it's there. The DM Trilogy of stuff only sticks out because it's literally titled that way.

I typed up a series story overview and even reading it back felt silly because why does Kirby have the most consistent story then any other Nintendo franchise.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 5, 2016

general chaos
May 20, 2001
Anybody remember that thing from a few months ago about replacing the c-stick nub with the original psp joystick? Anybody who did it have any comments about it 3 months in? Still stay on well, working well for monhun and smash?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

general chaos posted:

Anybody remember that thing from a few months ago about replacing the c-stick nub with the original psp joystick? Anybody who did it have any comments about it 3 months in? Still stay on well, working well for monhun and smash?

I don't use it for Smash but it still works fine for MH4U and Hyrule Warriors and hasn't ever fallen off.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

majormonotone posted:

Also didn't super star and dream land 3 come out at the same time

Nah, there's a year or so between them. Super Star came out very late (March '96 in Japan, September '96 in NA, January '97 in Europe), Dream Land 3 was "why the hell are you even releasing this" late (November '97 in NA, March '98 in Japan).

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

goferchan posted:

Yeah much more. Still very crunchy & challenging mechanically though..... maybe my favorite 3DS RPG. Just an early word of advice, if you're struggling on the first real boss fight (when you start getting your rear end kicked you'll know what I'm referring to) you should definitely try to recruit a full party of demons -- don't worry about optimizing everything, just remember that ANYTHING is better than an empty party slot. And if that doesn't work consider temporarily turning the difficulty down.... the curve flattens out and becomes more reasonable later but there's a huge difficulty spike early on. Definitely do your best to win without switching to Easy Mode but if you're frustrated enough that you're considering dropping the game just drop the difficulty and kick his rear end then switch back and power through. Later bosses are really hard too but you have a lot more options at those points of the game and more room to strategize and it's a lot more fun and less frustrating

Thank you. For what it's worth I don't know how to set the game to Easy Mode even if I wanted to.

I'm already lost on the third quest, but I'm enjoying it otherwise. It just feels good. Not sure how to describe it but it's already clicked way better than Devil Survivor did initially.

Edit: not lost anymore. Game's still good.

SylvainMustach fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jun 6, 2016

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

If you're going for a physical character, don't put points into strength. It only affects your attack command. Dexterity affects your physical skills.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Has anyone bred the owner horses with other owner horses? Like cat w/ fire horse?

I have them on my farm but am almost out of room from "real" horses.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Waltzing Along posted:

Has anyone bred the owner horses with other owner horses? Like cat w/ fire horse?

I have them on my farm but am almost out of room from "real" horses.

Yeah, you either get another cat horse or another fire horse, but with different characteristics depending on what the parents have.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
kniknkn

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jun 27, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

All those PAL TBC's just like the good old days

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I have Robobot and all the Kirby amiibo on pre-order and waiting on them to arrive Friday. My body is ready.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I have Robobot and all the Kirby amiibo on pre-order and waiting on them to arrive Friday. My body is ready.

I, sadly, won't get to play Robobot til Monday. But I'll be harvesting all the delicious streetpass puzzle pieces at an anime convention!

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
What do the amiibo do in Robobot?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Dr Cheeto posted:

What do the amiibo do in Robobot?

They give you copy powers specific to that amiibo (aside from third-party amiibo which give you random powers), so Mario always gives you Fire, Link always gives you Sword, etc.

The new Kirby amiibo gives you UFO, which you can't otherwise use without 100%ing the game, and the other new Kirby-series amiibo give you special copy powers that are visally altered a little to resemble those characters. (You get the Smash power from the Smash Kirby amiibo and other regular powers with a palette swap from the DDD/Meta Knight Smash amiibo.)

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Anyone have a preference regarding USB charging cables for the n3DS? I don't want to buy something that will blow my system up.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

SylvainMustach posted:

Thank you. For what it's worth I don't know how to set the game to Easy Mode even if I wanted to.

I'm already lost on the third quest, but I'm enjoying it otherwise. It just feels good. Not sure how to describe it but it's already clicked way better than Devil Survivor did initially.

Edit: not lost anymore. Game's still good.

Oh haha yeah I forgot how easy mode works. The game won't let you switch until you thoroughly get your rear end kicked and die a few times. Just know you can always swap back and forth.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Variable_H posted:

Anyone have a preference regarding USB charging cables for the n3DS? I don't want to buy something that will blow my system up.

http://amazon.com/dp/B00MVN9NPW

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

I've also been using this for several months and had no problems with it.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

River City Tokyo Rumble looks awesome. I think that's the only 3DS game I'm really looking forward to.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
Hey, I'm a cutting edge Nintendo fan that downloads all of his games from the eShop. I got rid of a bunch of my DS carts a few years ago, but I want one DS cart that is always in my New 3DS. The best one I'm thinking about getting again is Tetris DS. What's a good original DS standby?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

A DSTWO

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

kirbos come out on friday then? i assume my american forwarding address will get those in a seperate shipment then the splatoon ones so i'll have to tell my guy to ship me when they're all in.
excited to have a reason to turn on the 3ds again though :shobon:

e: oh there they finally loving put them up on amazon canada. but i guess my friend is already sending me some other stuff so i'll just leave that order to be shipped to him

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

zfleeman posted:

Hey, I'm a cutting edge Nintendo fan that downloads all of his games from the eShop. I got rid of a bunch of my DS carts a few years ago, but I want one DS cart that is always in my New 3DS. The best one I'm thinking about getting again is Tetris DS. What's a good original DS standby?

The World Ends With You.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Real answer: Neves

Spellman
May 31, 2011

zfleeman posted:

Metroid Prime Pinball

(Rhythm Heaven, or Kirby Superstar Ultra would be my #2 and #3)

Spellman fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 7, 2016

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

zfleeman posted:

Picross 3D is permanently sealed in mine

with glue

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

zfleeman posted:

I picked up N+ semi-recently and I think it's a pretty good game and slot-filler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

robot roll call posted:

Picross 3D is permanently sealed in mine

with glue

I assume there are also some game cases glued on there.