Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Vinlaen posted:

I've purchased an Acer X34 (ultrawide 21:9 monitor) and I absolutely love it except for the problems. (monitor keeps showing connected/disconnected even with different cables, large green line on the right hand of the screen but only sometimes, scanlines on the left of screen, etc)

Anyways, I'm going to try to get a replacement but if it also has problems I'm going to go back to 16:9 or 16:10.

With that said, what's the best gaming monitor with the following criteria:

• 24 - 27" (preferably 27")
  • IPS
  • 100 Hz or higher
  • G-Sync

Does anything fit that bill? ...and is anything with those specifications considered "extremely good" with little to no blacklight bleed, etc?

Thanks for any advice!

The Acer XB271HU is the best monitor for these specs. It's known for having the least chance of backlight bleed of the high refresh IPS panels, and is usually considerably cheaper than its Asus counterpart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

kimcicle posted:

So now my 2408 doesn't turn on anymore. I made the mistake of playing on an 144hz monitor and now I think I'm willing to forgo the IPS panel for the buttery smoothness.

Poking around, it seems that Amazon has the Dell 27" monitor for a decent discount, making it around $540 or so after taxes. Is there any reason to bump up to the ASUS 27" gaming monitor?

http://amzn.com/B0149QBOF0

The Dell one has a TN panel while the Asus has an IPS panel, TN panels have worse color, contrast and very narrow viewing angles. So basically the Asus one will look much nicer. Acer makes a similar one to the Asus called the XB271HU which is cheaper and a better choice overall.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The Dell one has a TN panel while the Asus has an IPS panel, TN panels have worse color, contrast and very narrow viewing angles. So basically the Asus one will look much nicer. Acer makes a similar one to the Asus called the XB271HU which is cheaper and a better choice overall.

:doh: Welp I guess that isn't the discount of the century then. Thanks for the heads up.

Does anybody make a 24" IPS 144hz monitor? Or is the market skewing towards 27" screens now?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

kimcicle posted:

:doh: Welp I guess that isn't the discount of the century then. Thanks for the heads up.

Does anybody make a 24" IPS 144hz monitor? Or is the market skewing towards 27" screens now?

No, the logic is that anyone who wants a premium IPS gaming monitor probably wants 1440p.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Vinlaen posted:

I've purchased an Acer X34 (ultrawide 21:9 monitor) and I absolutely love it except for the problems. (monitor keeps showing connected/disconnected even with different cables, large green line on the right hand of the screen but only sometimes, scanlines on the left of screen, etc)

Anyways, I'm going to try to get a replacement but if it also has problems I'm going to go back to 16:9 or 16:10.

With that said, what's the best gaming monitor with the following criteria:

• 24 - 27" (preferably 27")
  • IPS
  • 100 Hz or higher
  • G-Sync

Does anything fit that bill? ...and is anything with those specifications considered "extremely good" with little to no blacklight bleed, etc?

Thanks for any advice!

I love my X34, so I'd say stick with that, if you can get a replacement.

If you can live without G-sync, the new generation of Korean IPS monitors are 144hz and fairly cheap. They even have Freesync... which you may or may not ever use. But at $450, its worth considering. Or you could check the Acer refurb site for XB271 and XB270HU and save yourself a few bucks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Crossover-2...4YAAOSwnTJW~iye

http://acerrecertified.com/27-and-Up

http://stores.ebay.com/Acer/Displays-/_i.html?rt=nc&_fsub=2792638010&_sid=1089709410&_sticky=1&_trksid=p4634.m14&_sop=3&_sc=1

teknologik
Jul 24, 2006

Write it, cut it,
paste it, save it
I think the BenQ XL2730Z really meets my needs. I wanted a 27" Monitor with 1400 at a good price. Part of me says that TN is unnecessary for me and I should get ips because even though I play competitive games I'm not really particularly great at any of them so I don't think I'd notice the input lag. Any other suggestions before I pull the trigger? I also don't need freesync, it just happens to have it. I have a Nvidia card.

Thanks!

teknologik fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jun 8, 2016

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

teknologik posted:

I think the BenQ XL2730Z really meets my needs. I wanted a 27" Monitor with 1400 at a good price. Part of me says that TN is unnecessary for me and I should get ips because even though I play competitive games I'm not really particularly great at any of them so I don't think I'd notice the input lag. Any other suggestions before I pull the trigger? I also don't need freesync, it just happens to have it. I have a Nvidia card.

Thanks!

What's the price difference for you to get an Acer XB271HU? It's better in basically every way than the XL2730Z, if more expensive. They also have a refurb store that goons have been happy with, and can save you a chunk of money.

teknologik
Jul 24, 2006

Write it, cut it,
paste it, save it

BurritoJustice posted:

What's the price difference for you to get an Acer XB271HU? It's better in basically every way than the XL2730Z, if more expensive. They also have a refurb store that goons have been happy with, and can save you a chunk of money.

It's around a $200 difference. I figured it was a premium for G-Sync, which a lot of people are saying doesn't really matter at 144Hz anyway. No idea if thats true.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

As i understand it, screen tearing and input lag will be fixed by fastsync above 60 fps, which will be driver related, while g-sync is meant for <60 fps gaming? So if you have a beefy enough card to pull high fps you might aswell save yourself the extra price tag.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

The reports I've read of fastsync in practice suggest that you need an fps multiple of your refresh rate for it not to look bad due to judder; i.e. you would need 120fps or 180fps for 60hz. Maybe even 120 is not enough according to the early reports I've read. There's a thread on blurbusters where people have been experimenting:

quote:

I got some more testing done today, and in racing games, once the framerate is above 180 FPS it seems to make a huge improvement to latency/responsiveness. It may depend on the game, but it also feels like physics and/or feedback is being polled at a higher rate when the framerate is uncapped in some of them.

But you really have to be sure that you can always keep the framerate above 180 FPS at all times, and I had to put a framerate cap in place to stop it hitting 240/300/360 FPS in less demanding scenes. When it jumps from one framerate tier to the next, it feels just as bad as when V-Sync drops from 60 FPS to 30.

Additionally, you should stick to regular V-Sync if you cannot keep the framerate above 120 FPS. I tried putting a framerate cap in place so it wouldn't even hit 120 FPS (at the same settings which gave me a constant 180 FPS) and when Fast Sync was being used I would encounter bouts of very bad stuttering despite the framerate appearing to be locked to 60 FPS at all times. Switched to regular V-Sync and it was 100% smooth.

One of the downsides to all of this is that it's made me want the latency reduction and improvement to gameplay (beyond the latency reduction) that running at a higher framerate brings. The problem is that I have to turn down the graphical settings a lot to achieve this.

I've gone from supersampling games with SGSSAA or DSR, to running at native 1080p again and turning settings down, in order to increase the framerate.

I've been trying to keep my 2500K system going for a few more years by updating the video card, but this is making me want to get a G-Sync display and build a new high-end rig now.

http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2857

Could be that it gets better with further driver revisions

teknologik
Jul 24, 2006

Write it, cut it,
paste it, save it
I appreciate all of the info. I do see people reporting g sync helps even at 144. I have a 980 too so I should be able to take advantage of some of it. I'm actually less sure about which to get. I guess I'll research a bit more before making a final decision.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

dbcooper posted:

Greetings you mavens of monitors, you connoisseurs of colors, I seek guidance. Anyone have experience with 10-bit color monitors, GPUs and/or related software issues?

Background:

My nephew is doing a new PC build (PC Building thread post). He's not planning on gaming. He is practicing and studying photography and plans to do film, 3D rendering, editing as well with this PC.

He wants "both a wide color gamut and a wide 10-bit depth (?? may be using wrong term, I mean the range from darkest to lightest pixel)"

He likes the Dell UltraSharp 24 Monitor with PremierColor - U2413 monitor for photo editing

Based on his software preferences (see below), it appears that only certain adapter cards support 10-bit color either as an output signal or as part of the software editing process (uncertainty is mine).

BenQ also has the SW2700PT refurbished right now. Looks like it has pretty good reviews.

http://www.benqdirect.com/sw2700pt-refurbished-monitor.html

Durinia
Sep 26, 2014

The Mad Computer Scientist
34" Ultrawide G-SYNC IPS displays: Acer or ASUS? Any tangible differences? Stand? Curvature? Refresh rate? (ASUS lists 100 Hz, Acer "60 Hx - overclocks to 100 Hz")

Not sure I can wait for the X34P, but if any other new ones are coming in the next couple of months, would be good to know.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The Dell S2716DG is $480 on Amazon or Newegg right now. That's a pretty good price, isn't it?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The Dell S2716DG is $480 on Amazon or Newegg right now. That's a pretty good price, isn't it?

About normal price. You can get a refurb for $350 when the Dell Outlet Store restocks (use a coupon). Check the Amazon Warehouse too.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Durinia posted:

34" Ultrawide G-SYNC IPS displays: Acer or ASUS? Any tangible differences? Stand? Curvature? Refresh rate? (ASUS lists 100 Hz, Acer "60 Hx - overclocks to 100 Hz")

Not sure I can wait for the X34P, but if any other new ones are coming in the next couple of months, would be good to know.

I have the X34. The Acer has a poop OSD compared to the Asus (corrected in the X34P, but like you don't want to wait 6 months). Otherwise it's just a difference in stand quality and finish. Same panel, features, and probably QA/QC issues.

Durinia
Sep 26, 2014

The Mad Computer Scientist

Anti-Hero posted:

I have the X34. The Acer has a poop OSD compared to the Asus (corrected in the X34P, but like you don't want to wait 6 months). Otherwise it's just a difference in stand quality and finish. Same panel, features, and probably QA/QC issues.

Which stand do people think is better?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Durinia posted:

Which stand do people think is better?

In my opinion the Acer. It doesn't have a swivel (new for the X34P), but the footprint is smaller than the Asus. IMO the Asus overall looks gawky as gently caress and I would have to buy a monitor arm for it. The only gamer bling on the X34 is the badge.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
AOC is going to release their own 27" 1440p 165hz IPS monitor soon. I wonder if it's the same sort of poo poo show as with Acer and Asus, or whether it's of a higher quality, since they can cherrypick and ditch the rest to OEMs.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I don't think the XB271HU seems like a shitshow any more. That guy I linked earlier bought 5 panels and all were fine. I have a recertified and it's basically flawless.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/35.htm#lg.display_144hz

quote:

Perhaps the most interesting panel is planned for Q1 production 2017 at the moment. This is a new version of the LM340UW3 panel (revision tbc). This is a 34" curved ultra-wide IPS panel (1900R curvature) with a 3440 x 1440 resolution. It will offer a 144Hz refresh rate as well! Current 34" widescreen displays are making use of a native 60Hz IPS panel from LG.Display, overclocked in some cases to 100Hz maximum where a G-sync module is added to the screen. With the arrival of this 144Hz native panel we assume it will also need to use DisplayPort v1.3 connectivity but this will allow refresh rates to be significantly improved in this sector. With a native support of 144Hz we may also see some screens paired with blur reduction backlights which would be welcome in the 34" space as well. Nothing else staggering from the current listed spec which is updated in our panel parts database.

Additionally there is a 2560 x 1080 resolution IPS panel of this same size (34" ultra-wide, curved, 3800R curvature) planned for production a little sooner, in August 2016. The LM340UW1 (revision tbc).

Just to make the distinction as well, we are talking about LG.Display as a panel manufacturer here, not LG as a monitor manufacturer. Once panels go in to mass production it's usually 2 - 3 months before we see them picked up by a monitor manufacturer, and then another couple of months usually before those monitors are widely available to buy. So although it's exciting news that we will see some 34" 3440 x 1440 IPS panels at 144Hz eventually, it won't be until mid 2017 by the look of it - at least based on these LG.Display panels.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

This is interesting. I wonder if this will end up being the panel shipped with the X34P. It has the same tighter curvature at 1900P, and the X34P is listed as having the 100Hz refresh rate natively (which is a strange refresh that I doubt LG would make a panel at). I can imagine that the X34P is limited to 100Hz only due to the limitations of DP1.2 (which is currently the supported connection on the current GSync models). Would be especially cool if they end up releasing the X34P with 100Hz for older cards and 144Hz for the 10x0 and 4x0 series.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
I am looking for a monitor with a low DPI. We have an older lady in our company with pretty bad eyes who needs to use a lovely Java line-of-business application that doesn't support DPI scaling at all on our lovely Citrix Terminal Server that doesn't support DPI scaling at all.
So far the "best" monitor I've found is the Samsung S27E650 one which is 27" at 1920x1080, for a 81 DPI resolution but I'm wondering if there's something even lower still out there. Ideally the monitor should be between 22" and 30" and have a DPI of 70ish. Does anyone know a screen like that?

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
I've been trying to decide between an ultrawide and something with g-sync. Mostly for games, though with an ultrawide my wife and I might use it for movies. I have a 970 and an otherwise pretty middle-of-the-road gaming PC. Any suggestions? Is the ultrawide mostly for productivity?

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Twobirds posted:

I've been trying to decide between an ultrawide and something with g-sync. Mostly for games, though with an ultrawide my wife and I might use it for movies. I have a 970 and an otherwise pretty middle-of-the-road gaming PC. Any suggestions? Is the ultrawide mostly for productivity?

Ultrawide is seriously amazing for shooters - if they support it. Some competitive games like Overwatch make a conscious decision to not support it because they consider it cheating, while many other games need lots of fiddling in ini files to get them to run. But if it does work it's crazy how much it improves immersion.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

peak debt posted:

I am looking for a monitor with a low DPI. We have an older lady in our company with pretty bad eyes who needs to use a lovely Java line-of-business application that doesn't support DPI scaling at all on our lovely Citrix Terminal Server that doesn't support DPI scaling at all.
So far the "best" monitor I've found is the Samsung S27E650 one which is 27" at 1920x1080, for a 81 DPI resolution but I'm wondering if there's something even lower still out there. Ideally the monitor should be between 22" and 30" and have a DPI of 70ish. Does anyone know a screen like that?

You could probably find a 34-40 inch TV that would fit the bill.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

peak debt posted:

How about 32" with a curve? Heh. http://smile.amazon.com/Viotek-Comp...P9N3DXCBGSMEE83 or http://smile.amazon.com/LG-Electron...QECZF7MSHYW4Y4T

There are a lot of 28", 31.5", and 32" displays at 1920x1080p for ~$299, by the looks of it.

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jun 9, 2016

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I don't think the XB271HU seems like a shitshow any more. That guy I linked earlier bought 5 panels and all were fine. I have a recertified and it's basically flawless.
Interesting to hear, but recent Amazon feedback is still wonky. Hrm.

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

AOC is going to release their own 27" 1440p 165hz IPS monitor soon. I wonder if it's the same sort of poo poo show as with Acer and Asus, or whether it's of a higher quality, since they can cherrypick and ditch the rest to OEMs.

How is AOC affiliated with AU Optronics? I thought that was a subsidiary of Acer's, so if anything, Acer should've been able to cherrypick their own panels. Still, if the price is right, I might actually buy one.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Oh jesus, I hosed that one up then. :downs:

Regarding different things, apparently the Dell S2716DG possibly doesn't go HDCP on DisplayPort. Anyone can confirm?

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Is there a reason all the 1080p 144hz monitors are all TN? I would have jumped on one if any of them were IPS.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

B-Mac posted:

Is there a reason all the 1080p 144hz monitors are all TN? I would have jumped on one if any of them were IPS.

Sounds like there are some VA panels coming from Samsung:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/35.htm#panels_update

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Got my XB271HU yesterday. Can't see any dust, back light bleed (although I'm not going looking for back light bleed) or dead pixels. The only thing is that either the power cable or the DP cable is a bit loose and when I move the screen or bump my desk it goes dark for a second. The cables are in there as tight as they can be though.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Sounds like there are some VA panels coming from Samsung:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/35.htm#panels_update

quote:

The LSM290DP01 panel comes in two versions, one 60Hz and the other 144Hz. This is a rather unusual 29" mega wide panel with VA technology. The resolution is listed as "FHD+" which we believe to be 3840 x 1080, with a 32:9 aspect ratio. The 60Hz version of the panel is 3000R cuvred, while the 144Hz version is 1800R curved.

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuccccckkkkkkkkk

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jun 11, 2016

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer
What the hell is up with the stock of the XB271HU in the UK? Amazon hasn't had it for 2 weeks now, and Scan's out too as of a few days.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Wasabi the J posted:

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuccccckkkkkkkkk

We have to go wider

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

PerrineClostermann posted:

We have to go wider

2560+3440+2560 :smuggo:

Hopefully screens like this drive snap supporting more than two columns.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Wasabi the J posted:

Hot-linked image being blocked? Can you rehost?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Subjunctive posted:

Hot-linked image being blocked? Can you rehost?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Holy poo poo.

Any word on a 1440p variant?