Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Out of Ammo is fantastic. Every shot feels great, although the sniper reload gesture could easily cause RSI. My only complaint is that there's no parabolic targeting, so aiming artillery and strafing is a pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I know this is a really minor thing, and probably weird but... I really love the power on sound for the Vive controllers.

I don't know why, I just find it to be a very nice sound.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

GlyphGryph posted:

I know this is a really minor thing, and probably weird but... I really love the power on sound for the Vive controllers.

I don't know why, I just find it to be a very nice sound.

It's the Mario coin sound isn't it?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

SwissCM posted:

It's the Mario coin sound isn't it?

I thought it was the TiVo "resume" sound

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Many years ago I used to have a cordless phone that made an adorable "sad" sound when you turned it off. It really made you feel bad for the chunk of plastic.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Mario coin is up an octave, I think Vive controllers are up a fifth.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Knifegrab posted:

It would be incredibly dumb. And bad for everyone. But it would be admittedly satisfying and the drama it would cause would be really interesting to watch from afar.

The best drama we'll get is by valve keep on doing the same thing they're already doing and oculus home selling fuckall games because all rift users just use steam for anything not exclusive, and facebook/palmer tripling down on their lovely policies.

Plus, why would you support steam locking out rifts when doing that would put them on facebook's level.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I keep finding new awesome thins in that Waltz of the Wizard game, just traveled to the world where you are being observed

It's so good guys you should all get along it, it's so much better than almost everything I can't understand how it's free

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jun 7, 2016

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Truga posted:

The best drama we'll get is by valve keep on doing the same thing they're already doing and oculus home selling fuckall games because all rift users just use steam for anything not exclusive, and facebook/palmer tripling down on their lovely policies.

Plus, why would you support steam locking out rifts when doing that would put them on facebook's level.

Its out of a sense of petty schadenfreude. Of course the best thing would be for this to not happen, but I would love to hear the howling about how its bullshit from the same people who defended Oculus's exclusivity and DRM.

It'd be cool if Steam locked out Oculus from the store and was like "We'll open our store when you open yours :colbert:" Of course that would never happen because valve is a cool and good company.

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.
Anyone have any ideas on how to move the Vive link box ~30 feet away from the computer? I'm considering a 30' active HDMI cable and maybe 2 15' USB 2.0 extenders--would either of those be too laggy?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

For anyone else in Australia who doesn't want to be taken advantage of, its incredibly easy to get a lower price on the oculus store. Connect to a VPN, restart home, and thats it.

... Just don't forget to turn off your vpn and then wonder why its taking you 7 hours to download edge of nowhere :negative:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

GlyphGryph posted:

I keep finding new awesome thins in that Waltz of the Wizard game, just traveled to the world where you are being observed

It's so good guys you should all get along it, it's so much better than almost everything I can't understand how it's free

I really like the thing too. Had a bunch of friends over, they all like it a lot too.

As for how it's free, it's likely a tech demo for something bigger, kinda like the budget cuts demo. I know in VR you're supposed to pay for tech demos these days, but some cool dudes just put them out there, like The Lab or that Skeet game. :v:

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Can anyone talk about the cool "secrets" they've found in the waltz of the wizard? I've found All three snow globe locations, I've shot hte guy coming from the cellar, and the ogre eye. I got all of the spells.

What am I missing?

robostac
Sep 23, 2009

Extortionist posted:

Anyone have any ideas on how to move the Vive link box ~30 feet away from the computer? I'm considering a 30' active HDMI cable and maybe 2 15' USB 2.0 extenders--would either of those be too laggy?

Theres a reddit wiki with lists of cables people have used:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/wiki/cables

I'm using the bluerigger 10m USB and Startech 10m active HDMI without any noticeable difference in latency. The HDMI cable is slightly awkward as it's quite thick and not very flexible, so it ends up sticking out when going round corners.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Oh, man, edge of nowhere is so good, so very good. I finally took my headset off after playing it for 3-4 hours straight. It was genuinely spooking me out without resorting to a bunch of jump scares or crap. So far its definitely been worth the 40 bucks easy, especially when stuff like the climb (which admittedly I do like a lot, its just short.) is $50.

Flashbackjack
Jun 25, 2008
Chronos and Edge of Nowhere has made me love my rift. No motion sickness in EoN at all. And i finally have the thing fitted right, so i can play for hours now.

Chronos is just amazing, and i will totally play through it again. EoN is a one time on rails thing, but i still think its worth the 40 $

Even though the internet tells me im not supposed too like Oculus home, i really dig how smooth going from one game to another is. And everything has such nice sounds!

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Flashbackjack posted:

Chronos and Edge of Nowhere has made me love my rift. No motion sickness in EoN at all. And i finally have the thing fitted right, so i can play for hours now.

Chronos is just amazing, and i will totally play through it again. EoN is a one time on rails thing, but i still think its worth the 40 $

Even though the internet tells me im not supposed too like Oculus home, i really dig how smooth going from one game to another is. And everything has such nice sounds!

Chronos surprised the hell out of me with how enjoyable it was. VR or not, it was one of the best games I'd played in years. So atmospheric and stylish, with a fun combat system. I played it the first time and finished in like my 60's or maybe even 70's, but on the next playthrough I got to the end still in my mid 20's.

Yeah, home is a nice environment, albeit spartan at the moment with a lot of features desperately needed. Still, the once or twice I tried using SteamVR with my rift it was just a hot mess to navigate or do anything with, and it really made me appreciate home all the more.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I've just given The Climb a second look. Its my only Store purchase so far and I initially regretted it. Something about the controls didn't mesh and and it was making me ill and I felt bad about spending that much money on 'just 3 mountains'.

This time its clicked, I am a loving ninja leaping between crevasses and overhangs and ziplines and cablecars, bothering bats and waving at wing-suiters.

Also loving the mini set-pieces in each new route and the unlockable kit. If anything I'd want some quasi-rpg elements, like radder gloves can make bigger jumps, but are more vulnerable to toxic plants or something like that.

Its probably still too expensive, but definitely worth a play. It seems like it should be suited for wands/touch but I imagine the controller is the best way to play it - would not want to contort myself into the positions you find yourself in-game. I imagine there would be lots of great youtubes of people leaping for crazy ledges/tumbling out apartment windows irl though.

Flashbackjack
Jun 25, 2008

Tom Guycot posted:

Chronos surprised the hell out of me with how enjoyable it was. VR or not, it was one of the best games I'd played in years. So atmospheric and stylish, with a fun combat system. I played it the first time and finished in like my 60's or maybe even 70's, but on the next playthrough I got to the end still in my mid 20's.

I went arcane/block type build and im at the final boss (i guess) he is beating the poo poo out of me so im soon in my 50's, Next playthrough im going all agility, it seems like evade is handier than block. Also im having a ton of fun standing up and playing especially the part in the bookcase

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Flashbackjack posted:

I went arcane/block type build and im at the final boss (i guess) he is beating the poo poo out of me so im soon in my 50's, Next playthrough im going all agility, it seems like evade is handier than block. Also im having a ton of fun standing up and playing especially the part in the bookcase

Yeah my first playthrough i really farted up my build, second time through I went almost pure agility since the best weapons to me ended up being the spear and sickle. I actually rushed through to get the spear before coming back to face the first boss, and got the fast experience perk at 20 so I could really level up fast each time I died.

Flashbackjack
Jun 25, 2008

Tom Guycot posted:

Yeah my first playthrough i really farted up my build, second time through I went almost pure agility since the best weapons to me ended up being the spear and sickle. I actually rushed through to get the spear before coming back to face the first boss, and got the fast experience perk at 20 so I could really level up fast each time I died.

Wait wait, spear and sickle? First boss? I thought i was near the end. So Cyclops is not the end? Man the guy is going to be old as hell when im done with the game.

Yeah got the xp thing at 20 aswell. I like that i can farm creatures to gain levels and practice muh controller skills before going up against the big guys.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Tried Descent Underground with the Vive headset, and it hurt my brain after 10 seconds.

I really don't see anything with a fast-moving camera independent of the headset really working in VR.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Flashbackjack posted:

Wait wait, spear and sickle? First boss? I thought i was near the end. So Cyclops is not the end? Man the guy is going to be old as hell when im done with the game.

Yeah got the xp thing at 20 aswell. I like that i can farm creatures to gain levels and practice muh controller skills before going up against the big guys.

Ahahah, yeah you're not even close to the end, practically the beginning, he's just the very first boss. Chronos is a surprisingly meaty and long game for this early VR period. What I found worked really well was:

1) farming all the monsters every time I died to maximize my levels (though after a point the scrub enemies aren't worth it anymore)
2) once you have the key from the shrunken bookcase adventure you can unlock a door right in the area by the tree, before the elevator to the cyclops area and explore a whole new part of the castle with tougher and more xp giving enemies. This opens up a huge new way to level up each time you die. The other benefit of this is there are more dragon hearts you can get to make the cyclops easier when you finally fight him, and in the first room of this new area of the castle, a dining room, theres a new shield on the wall you can grab. You can keep going further and further down this path to new areas without having to fight the cyclops yet, but I won't spoil more of it.
3) I put the vast bulk of my points into agility, but still blocked 90% of the time. The dodging just got me hit too often, but with a beefier shield you can block almost anything and then just counter.
4) Don't waste any points period, like at all, into arcane until you're like in your 40's or even 50's. When you're young it take a lot of points to level up arcane, but the strength and agility are cheap as chips. Once you get old its really slow and hard to level up any strength or agility, but arcane gets cheaper. Also this is personal preference but I favored the magic that makes you invulnerable briefly. I could have that charged up before fighting a boss (or even a tough room), and when the boss gets to their 3rd stage (they all seem to have 3 stages where they get tougher with more attacks each time) you can really unleash some damage they can't do anything about.
5) Memorize the attack patterns of all the various monsters (duh)
6) Learn to love the spear... the range it gives you is just, oh ho ho so nice.

Honestly it sounds like you're making the same mistake I did the first time, I just kept getting my rear end kicked by the first boss over and over and by the time I finally beat him I was in my 50's and since I was an old lady I could now put poo poo all into strength or agility anymore. I would suggest you just restart. You can get back to the point you're at pretty quick, and my second time around I beat that son of a bitch at like age 21, with better equipment and more health potion things.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jun 7, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

sliderule posted:

Tried Descent Underground with the Vive headset, and it hurt my brain after 10 seconds.

I really don't see anything with a fast-moving camera independent of the headset really working in VR.

It's a case of getting used to it. First day I got VR playing warthunder arcade in the transparent cockpit was uncomfortable, 2 days later I was flying 2m off ground killing poo poo like a champ.

vvvv: Definitely counts, it's how I play warframe now and it owns.

Truga fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jun 7, 2016

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I couldn't get used to any of the camera modes in TF2 so I ended up disabling headset control entirely and using the mouse to control the camera, if that counts. Just using it as a pair of 3d glasses basically.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

sliderule posted:

Thank Goodness, it's not just me. It might be the worst motion sickness I've experienced in VR yet. I can float around in Milkdrop domes forever, too.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Finally got all the money to grab up our Vive, it's now sitting on the couch -- and I might have to turn around and sell it because our $300/mo insurance plan is getting rejected - with the potential of a $1000+ surgery coming after that doctor's visit - right after a $700 car repair bill.

This is what I get for wanting to dev for VR.

Flashbackjack
Jun 25, 2008

Tom Guycot posted:

Ahahah, yeah you're not even close to the end, practically the beginning, he's just the very first boss. Chronos is a surprisingly meaty and long game for this early VR period. What I found worked really well was:

1) farming all the monsters every time I died to maximize my levels (though after a point the scrub enemies aren't worth it anymore)
2) once you have the key from the shrunken bookcase adventure you can unlock a door right in the area by the tree, before the elevator to the cyclops area and explore a whole new part of the castle with tougher and more xp giving enemies. This opens up a huge new way to level up each time you die. The other benefit of this is there are more dragon hearts you can get to make the cyclops easier when you finally fight him, and in the first room of this new area of the castle, a dining room, theres a new shield on the wall you can grab. You can keep going further and further down this path to new areas without having to fight the cyclops yet, but I won't spoil more of it.
3) I put the vast bulk of my points into agility, but still blocked 90% of the time. The dodging just got me hit too often, but with a beefier shield you can block almost anything and then just counter.
4) Don't waste any points period, like at all, into arcane until you're like in your 40's or even 50's. When you're young it take a lot of points to level up arcane, but the strength and agility are cheap as chips. Once you get old its really slow and hard to level up any strength or agility, but arcane gets cheaper. Also this is personal preference but I favored the magic that makes you invulnerable briefly. I could have that charged up before fighting a boss (or even a tough room), and when the boss gets to their 3rd stage (they all seem to have 3 stages where they get tougher with more attacks each time) you can really unleash some damage they can't do anything about.
5) Memorize the attack patterns of all the various monsters (duh)
6) Learn to love the spear... the range it gives you is just, oh ho ho so nice.

Honestly it sounds like you're making the same mistake I did the first time, I just kept getting my rear end kicked by the first boss over and over and by the time I finally beat him I was in my 50's and since I was an old lady I could now put poo poo all into strength or agility anymore. I would suggest you just restart. You can get back to the point you're at pretty quick, and my second time around I beat that son of a bitch at like age 21, with better equipment and more health potion things.

Solid advice, thanks.

Can't believe im still at the beginning. Im both happy and horrified at the same time.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I did a strength play-through of Chronos my first time and just blocked everything in the game. The 300HP Krell shield tanked everything. I actually couldn't figure out how to counter-attack until the very end of the game when it just clicked for me and I was able to plow through everything.

I thought I found every secret but I saw some people on reddit talking about meeting the Krell king. I have no idea where I missed that.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
You guys really need to pick up house of the dying sun. It's $17 bucks of goon-made fun and looks fantastic in VR.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Bhodi posted:

You guys really need to pick up house of the dying sun. It's $17 bucks of goon-made fun and looks fantastic in VR.

Impressions in that thread seem pretty positive, I'll check it out. Could really use a different VR space sim than Elite (which quite frankly is probably better in non-VR so I can watch TV on the side while space trucking).

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The new iRacing update just came out and with that is Rift CV1 support. It's amazing. I don't know how I'm going to keep myself from just doing this all day. I bought that House of the Dying sun game earlier and I'll check it out and probably add it to the OP.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Bhodi posted:

Doesn't look like it has Vive support. Do we know if that is being added in the future?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The steam page lists Vive support.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Hamelekim posted:

Doesn't look like it has Vive support. Do we know if that is being added in the future?

It runs through steam VR, works fine on vive.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Cojawfee posted:

The steam page lists Vive support.

Ah, for some reason I only saw Oculus. I guess It's a buy then.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Ladies and gentleman we are now 48 hours away from it being 4 weeks of not getting any help regarding my order which they decided to flag in their system as complete without ever having shipped it, which at this point even they admit.... yet still don't correct. BBB complaint is stalled while Digital River tries to claim they bear no responsibility because it's an HTC product and HTC customer service which is a bold faced lie because when I call the digital river phone number instead of HTC's I talk to the exact. same. people. not to mention every single one of their order/shipping/billing documents carries the legal disclaimer "DR GlobalTech. is the authorized reseller and merchant of the products and services offered within this store."

At this point I feel like my only option is to sue them in small claims court to compel specific performance, but I just started closing on a house so I don't have time for this poo poo.

If there wasn't literally not a single equivalent product on the market I would have just done a chargeback ages ago, hell if it was only me I'd have done it because rift would fit my sim needs fine; but it would break my wife's heart because after trying my little brother's Vive she's super excited about roomscale to the point she was worried about where the VR would go when we were house hunting :smith: .

I'm just popping in to rant again cause I'm loving pissed, gently caress HTC and I hope someone else comes out with alternative roomscale product so these fucks can finish the death spiral they were entering before they made this deal with Valve.

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 7, 2016

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Speaking of iRacing, here is a link for new accounts where you get 3 months for $5. http://www.iracing.com/imsa/

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

HotDS makes me really really want either a vive or rift, like, right now

Guess I should research the two about now and see which I want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Hamelekim posted:

I just nearly beat it with the Vive. It works perfectly well and is a decent game. I recommend waiting until EA is done though since there are massive balance changes needed along with many smaller issues that add up to a somewhat annoying experience.

Ciaphas posted:

HotDS makes me really really want either a vive or rift, like, right now

Guess I should research the two about now and see which I want

Get a Vive if you have room for roomscale, a Rift if you're only going to do cockpit games and other seated/standing games.