Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galsia
Oct 20, 2005

Infyrno posted:

This guy is a really interesting case. He would stake out places to come back and commit murders in some cases 2-5 years prior to the event and after his stake out of the place he would bury a 3 gallon bucket filled with money wrapped in plastic, disassembled guns, ammo, and maybe other stuff I am forgetting. This would be filled with oil to keep the parts from rusting, and then buried. When he would come back to commit the crimes he would fly somewhere, get a car, drive 500+ miles to the place, dig up his stuff, and use it to commit the muders, not bringing or taking anything. All of the murders besides the last one he designed to be at most a missing person, but in some cases not even that and in none of the cases (of the few that he told them about) was there a body or even suspicion of foul play. The first case he told the FBI about was a double murder of a couple in New England and when they checked there was a note of the couple being possibly missing but no signs or anything wrong. The house where he had hidden their bodies had already been torn down and built over. The people that did the construction job did remember a really really foul odor when they were pulling up parts of the demolished house but everything was in pieces and crushed so they assumed dead animal under a house. He told them about that first couple in exchange for a cigar.

He was an absolute narcissist so some/all of this might be made up. But nothing that he had told them up to the time he killed himself was found to be untrue. That I can remember. He was also a necro. which fueled these crimes. To get the ransom money he had to give proof of life despite having already killed the girl. He sewed her eyes open and ran fishing line to hooks in the ceiling to have her hold up the daily paper. As mentioned above, it worked, and seeing the picture I can't tell to be honest. She had been dead I think 3 or more days at that point. That poo poo is loving unnerving.

This is a horrible question but I'm really curious. Do you know where I can see the picture?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Madkal posted:

A trial just ended and some guy named Brock Turners was found guilty of sexual assault and a whole bunch of other things. He got a somewhat lenient sentence, though he will be put in the sexual offender registry so there is that. Anyway, his victim has released a statement. It is fairly long but worth the read.

quote:

Next in the story, two Swedes on bicycles approached you and you ran. When they tackled you why didn’t say, “Stop! Everything’s okay, go ask her, she’s right over there, she’ll tell you.” I mean you had just asked for my consent, right? I was awake, right? When the policeman arrived and interviewed the evil Swede who tackled you, he was crying so hard he couldn’t speak because of what he’d seen.

Random Swedish dude is a good person. Everything about this story is awful - especially the comments sections on mainstream news sites today. :(

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
The Swedes were grad students at Stamford, and some loving heroes.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The offender's dad is also disappointed by the sentence.

quote:

Brock always enjoyed certain types of food and is a good cook himself. I was always excited to get him a big ribeye steak to grill or to get his favorite snack for him. ... Now he barely consumes any food and eats only to exist. These verdicts have broken and shattered our family in so many ways. His life will never be the one that he dreamed about and worked so hard to achieve. That is a steep price to pay for 20 minutes of action out of his 20 plus years of life. The fact that he now has to register as a sexual offender for the rest of his life forever alters where he can live, visit, work, and how he will be able to interact with people and organizations.
:cry: But will nobody think of the rapists? He only did it for 20 minutes. :cry:

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Madkal posted:

A trial just ended and some guy named Brock Turners was found guilty of sexual assault and a whole bunch of other things. He got a somewhat lenient sentence, though he will be put in the sexual offender registry so there is that. Anyway, his victim has released a statement. It is fairly long but worth the read.

And in response to that, Turner's dad wrote an unbelievably lovely letter, arguing that his son shouldn't have his life ruined because that's "a steep price to pay for 20 minutes of action out of his 20 plus years of life."

gently caress this guy: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-36459504

edit: beaten, but still, gently caress these horrible people.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

Madkal posted:

Jesus, that was a brutal read. I want to kick both the rapist and his lawyer repeatedly in the face until they have a better grasp of the meaning of consent, personal responsibility, and basic logic. If it doesn't work, eh.

I've sometimes thought about this -- how does the intelligence of a victim, as demonstrated in this statement, affect the victim's likability/credibility with the average juror? The cynical part of me is worried that it's "not in a good way."

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

A friend of his also wrote a letter of support to the judge.

quote:

But where do we draw the line and stop worrying about being politically correct every second of the day and see that rape on campuses isn’t always because people are rapists.

How can you even write that sentence?!

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Florida Betty posted:

Because to them and people like them, rape is only when you violently overcome someone's objections. Having sex with someone without their consent is just getting laid. I think understanding that this distinction exists and fixing it is critically important to addressing rape, especially on campus.

E: I seriously want to ask these bros how they'd feel if they woke up from a bender with a sore rear end. Somehow I think the answer would not be "well I shouldn't have drank so much". This does kind of lead into a second element of getting bros to think of women as human beings and thus actually caring about their feelings, but I wonder if they've even considered how they themselves would feel.

Alereon has a new favorite as of 23:28 on Jun 6, 2016

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

When you think about it, aren't we all the real rapists?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Why can't these be the people who get doxxed and driven to suicide?

Goddamn Particle
Oct 10, 2013

Fan of Britches
If we punished crimes based on how long they took to commit, fatal shootings would be a misdemeanor.

Florida Betty posted:

It's not just because people are rapists; it's because other people enable rapists by minimizing their actions, blaming the victim and giving lenient sentences because of their Promising Swimming Career. :barf:

I doubt that's what he meant though.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Arsenic Lupin posted:

When you think about it, aren't we all the real rapists?

You joke but I think what get's people upset is the idea that "wait, I had sex where both I and the other person was drunk and that wasn't rape, therefore this isn't rape either". It is actually dealt with quite brilliantly in the girl's statement where she says if you are going to have sex and the person passes out don't have sex with them. If you want to have sex and the girl collapses, help her up and don't have sex with her. There isn't a condemnation of drunk sex, it's a condemnation of not being a human being and taking advantage of someone who needs help.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Alereon posted:

Because to them and people like them, rape is only when you violently overcome someone's objections. Having sex with someone without their consent is just getting laid. I think understanding that this distinction exists and fixing it is critically important to addressing rape, especially on campus.

E: I seriously want to ask these bros how they'd feel if they woke up from a bender with a sore rear end. Somehow I think the answer would not be "well I shouldn't have drank so much"

They wouldn't have an answer because they're "Not fags and that would never happen". I knew a guy like that before and tried to get him to understand but he just would not accept that it could possibly happen to him, would ever happen to him and refused to accept that he could ever be a victim of anything but reverse racism and misandry, of which he complained nearly daily. I finally stopped talking to him completely when he went off about how black women are the worst because "their cunts smell weird" and other ridiculous things. My girlfriend at the time was black.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Madkal posted:

You joke but I think what get's people upset is the idea that "wait, I had sex where both I and the other person was drunk and that wasn't rape, therefore this isn't rape either".

You are absolutely right. Add this to the "character" narrative, in which a person who has a "good character" (is nice to his/her friends and in public) can therefore not have done something heinous. The idea that a person can be kind to one person and cruel to another is apparently unthinkable.

A lot of people can manage to behave appropriately in public situations, and to friends and superiors, and then do awful things when they're sure nobody important will find out about it. Domestic abuse, for instance.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Alereon posted:

Ugh, I remember a few years ago when a friend of mine was at a party and was sexually assaulted. She told me the next day, but refused to press charges or even tell me who it was because according to her, it was her own fault for not saying "no" enough times. She said it, but apparently not the special magic number that all rapists are honor bound to stop at.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
After reading what this girl went through to get this fucker convicted I'm not surprised that many women don't press charges since it effectively victimizes them again.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Imagined posted:

After reading what this girl went through to get this fucker convicted I'm not surprised that many women don't press charges since it effectively victimizes them again.
The term "second rape" has been used to describe the traumatic experience victims go through when testifying and being cross examined in court. Until I read her statement, I never really understood what that meant.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

GWBBQ posted:

The term "second rape" has been used to describe the traumatic experience victims go through when testifying and being cross examined in court. Until I read her statement, I never really understood what that meant.

It's ridiculous because they ask the most inane questions to just try and dismiss what happened in a way that makes it so easy to believe that there has been zero social progression since the 1800's. Oh what you were raped? Well how much do you weight? Your honor, I submit that this woman is fat therefore this rapist is innocent!

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I knew people thought the way the father and the friend did and even heard some of it before, but I never thought someone would be so bold as to write a letter stating all of your lovely opinions for the world to read.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Why should I go to prison? I only murdered a person for one second of my 31 years of life!

Ok cool got my defense all set up, this should work.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I knew people thought the way the father and the friend did and even heard some of it before, but I never thought someone would be so bold as to write a letter stating all of your lovely opinions for the world to read.

That letter from the friend is outrageous, especially when paired with the statement from the victim. Not only is that kid stupid, she's borderline illiterate. She writes like a gradeschooler. I don't think she realizes the significance of what she's saying.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

I'd like to, if I could, take a minute here to veer off that horrible miscarriage of justice in favor of athletes and take you all on a tangentially related story to the subject of the thread.

I'd like to talk about survivors, misfortune, tragedy, and this thread's love-to-hate favorite in another (shorter) local story that just happened, that has a sort of "Where Are They Now" quality to it.

The Worst Week

In the early morning hours of May 24th, 2016, an explosion woke up the residents of the Desert Sands Motel along Albuquerque’s east Central corridor. Minutes later, all the residents stood outside and watched as the motel was engulfed in flames.

The Desert Sands was built in 1957, an opulent roadside inn built along Route 66. A massive and extravagant sign marking itself along the busy, dusty road. The Desert Sands was one of dozens of historic “motor hotels” along Albuquerque’s stretch of route 66, and once more, it’s something many of you are familiar with through media- The Desert Sands is the motel at the end of No Country For Old Men. They used the location practically, so the courtyard, the doors, the room, those were all on set; the only difference being that they added “El Paso” to the sign for the movie.

Over the years the Desert Sands has gradually fallen into disrepair, although fault isn’t entirely with the motel, it’s located at one of the busiest and seediest corners of the city at present day. The motel has been a welcoming location to drug use and prostitution, as well as being an inviting location for extended stays, a cheap place for the homeless and others going through exceptionally rough times. In just under 60 years the Desert Sands went from a top of the line motel filled with gleaming, finned vehicles to a last resort home for many. It still operated as a motel for brave travellers, and this is what one reviewer on Trip Advisor had to say:

Trip Advisor posted:

“If you are a Jew don't stay here or any one else for that matter”
Reviewed March 27, 2011
We came here to this motel instead of another. Big mistake!!! Up stairs we can hear every step the people make all night long. Then they bang the floor we call and complain and they do nothing about it. The beds are super hard the sheets weren't clean we washed them our selves. Lots of bed bugs and roaches! They...

...Unfortunately you have to sign up with an account to see the rest of the review past the preview, and I was simply unwilling to do so.

Back to the early morning hours of May 24th, Albuquerque Fire Department were dispatched at 1:45 AM to the Desert Sands. Most residents escaped without injury, but as a testament to the area of the city, and in fact I would venture most areas of the city, one of the residents at the motel woke just before AFD was called when He heard an explosion. By his own account, He startled awake, didn’t see anything out of place and went back to bed. This is a normal reaction for most Albuquerque residents. The resident was staying with his wife and two daughters, and only realized something was immediately wrong when he started to hear one of his daughters cough and went to check on her. It was then that he realized his room was filling with smoke.

All told, the Desert Sands had 63 rooms and at the time of the fire, there were 57 residents. By 3 AM, over two-thirds of the building was effected by the blaze, even with 22 fire units on scene combatting the fire. Because of the quick response, only two people were taken to the hospital for injuries related to smoke inhalation. The rest were evacuated and could only watch as their home burned down.

On May 31st, Jennifer Maestas was arrested and charged with one count of arson after surveillance footage captured her hanging around the motel earlier in the day and then running from the scene just as the fire was starting. When APD interviewed her, she said that “someone” had started the fire with a lighter, in a specific room that at the time was only known to arson investigators. Her motives are not known at this time, but this story is not about her.

Bad to Worse

On May 23rd, Cynthia Jaramillo was living in the Desert Sands Motel. She Cynthia had been attempting to have a normal life, but was in and out of cheap apartments and motels with her three sons, and she is yet expecting another child in about a month. I don’t want to get all preachy, but in yet another lesson of “never read the news story comments,” there are so many people demonizing this woman for being poor and having “too many” kids, as well as being a “bad parent” and those are just the tame comments. Here’s the thing. Lots of people, most, in fact deserve some sort of empathy, and Cynthia has never had an easy life.

Cynthia is trying to do her best. Less than two hours into May 24th, Cynthia, pregnant mother of three, has lost her home. She stood with the rest of the evacuees and her children and wondered what possessions of hers would be left, if any. Her week, however, was just getting started. The family found temporary housing at a trailer and RV park on the extreme east side of town and started thinking about how to piece things back together.

The very next morning on May 25th, the second oldest son Matthew Jaramillo, 14, ran into their new home. He was out of breath, he was panicked, and he was covered in blood.

Cynthia’s oldest son, Ruben Ruelas, 15, was attempting to do what he could with his chaotic life. At 15, Ruelas was working part-time minimum-wage jobs and selling scrap metal to support his family and his girlfriend, as he had just three months prior become a father. At 10:15am on May 25th 2016, Ruelas was pronounced dead of a gunshot wound to the head.

Ruelas’ death, at the time of writing, appears to still be a mystery, at least to everyone not directly involved with the investigation. All that is known so far is that Ruelas was in the parking lot of a Costco in the far southeastern part of town, and he suffered a gunshot wound to the head. It is unclear if his brother Jaramillo was with him at the time of the incident, or whether or not Ruelas was shot intentionally, accidentally, or if it was self-inflicted. Investigators have been incredibly tight-lipped about this case. All that was known was that Cynthia had lost her home and now her eldest son.

Skipping backwards a little, it was the early afternoon of May 20th when a stolen vehicle carrying a prostitute was used to repeatedly run over a man by the name of Richard Sisneros and drag him down a road. Sisneros was taken to a hospital in critical condition, but he sustained mortal injuries and would die on May 21st. APD was in the middle of the investigation when they got a tip that solved the case; a complete itinerary of events as recounted from the perpetrator. Earlier in the morning, the suspect stole a mid-size SUV, picked up a prostitute off of east central, and took her to the parking lot of an apartment complex just two blocks north of central. It was at this time that Sisneros noticed what was happening, and being fed up with prostitution and drug use by his apartment, he confronted the suspect and told him to leave. The suspect then ran Sisneros over with the vehicle, reversed, ran over him again, and dragged Sisneros. Witnesses would say that they could hear a woman screaming inside the vehicle, and a neighbor came out to see a trail of blood and flesh on the road. The vehicle was later abandoned several blocks east of the incident site.

After identification, the driver was described as having “significant developmental disabilities, including a frontal lobe defect from a traumatic brain injury, an impulse-control disorder and a pervasive developmental disorder.”

The driver was 14-year old Matthew Jaramillo.

The morning of Ruelas’ death, two women in the trailer park had heard Jaramillo talking about having hit a man with a stolen vehicle, as is a normal topic of conversation. They connected Jaramillo’s statements to a news story of Sisneros’ death and contacted APD, who was already en route to the trailer park to question family and anyone that may have information about the death of Ruelas. When they arrived, Jaramillo was taken into custody and hauled away, charged with an open count of murder, unlawful taking of a motor vehicle, and tampering with evidence. Cynthia Jaramillo would later see her son in front of a judge.
In two days, Cynthia Jaramillo had lost her home, her eldest son was dead under mysterious circumstances, and her second-oldest was just arrested for the brutal murder of a man on the streets of Albuquerque.

The Other Worst Week

The day is March 22, 1999, and as if out of a horror movie, Cindy Vigil is running for her life. She is screaming for help as vehicles pass her, purposefully ignoring the sight before them. Cindy runs to the first home she sees with an open door, enters the home and slams and locks the door behind her. Cindy is sobbing and the homeowner is shocked. Cindy was naked and covered in blood, wearing only an iron collar and chains.

Only moments before this occurred, Cindy had been locked inside a trailer just outside of Elephant Butte, New Mexico (It’s pronounced byoot, jerks). Cindy was not locked in any random trailer, though. She was locked inside The Toy Box.

Cindy had spent the last three days in captivity, after being approached by David Parker Ray on the streets of Albuquerque. Cindy Vigil was a prostitute, and after being propositioned by Ray, he slapped a pair of handcuffs on her and told her she was under arrest. She knew something was very wrong when Ray started driving south out of Albuquerque. Vigil would spend three days in the Toy Box, enduring repeated torture and rape at the hands of David Parker Ray and his accomplice, Cindy Hendy.

David Parker Ray had gone to work on March 22nd, and Hendy had become distracted while on a telephone call, leaving a set of padlock keys on a surface nearby Vigil. Vigil took the opportunity to reach for the keys and start unlocking herself. Hendy, hearing her escape attempt, rushed into the room and a fight ensued, both women thrashing around the trailer. Hendy grabbed a lamp in the brawl and smashed it over Vigil’s head. Vigil, summoning all the strength she could, fought Hendy off. As a testament to not only Vigil’s strength and desperation, but also to what was readily available and used on Vigil, she grabbed a nearby icepick and drove it into Hendy’s neck. Vigil burst out the door of the Toy Box and ran, blood dripping and chains dragging behind her.

Cindy Vigil’s escape brought down David Parker Ray, all of his accomplices, and without doubt saved the lives of an unknowable amount of women. Every single time David Parker Ray comes up in this thread, every horrific, disgusting detail we know about the case and discuss here so frequently, we know because of Cindy Vigil. Cindy Vigil was a victim, but is also a hero.

Culturally, we have a perception about survivors. Survivors are strong, and survivors capture our hearts. They have their time in the spotlight, and then they don’t have to worry about the day to day problems of everyone else. Survivors will have needs, whether they be need medical or psychological, but whether it’s fiction or reality, we want to know that they’re cared for and they’ve gone through the worst they’ll ever have to. We don’t like to know that the truth is that people get forgotten, and they bare permanent scars that make living a normal life impossible.

Cindy Vigil would later become Cynthia Jaramillo.

Cynthia Jaramillo is still trying to piece her life back together.

Bonapartisan
May 20, 2004

Emperor of France
Creator of the Code Napoleon
Conqueror of the Ziggy Piggy
Dude.

I don't even know what else to say.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Holy Jesus. Thanks for posting this, it's a fantastic write up.

Full Tripadvisor review for you, there's nothing really great missing.

TripAdvisor posted:

We came here to this motel instead of another. Big mistake!!! Up stairs we can hear every step the people make all night long. Then they bang the floor we call and complain and they do nothing about it. The beds are super hard the sheets weren't clean we washed them our selves. Lots of bed bugs and roaches! They say you can have visitors untill 8pm all though you can not. Also you can not stand out side of your room. I was talking on my phone and the person from the office Bill said I could not be out there. He also called me a stupid Jew as he walked away and said I had an attitude cause I asked him why I couldn't be outside on my phone when right upstairs there were people dealing drugs outside! I have been to many hotels out here, but this is by far the worst and that's saying a lot. I also just filed a report online with the city, health department, code enforce ment and the BBB. It asked on here if I would recomend this place to a friend , ha , I wouldn't recomend this place to a dog on his last leg!

I used a bugmenot login, in case you weren't aware of the service. It can usually bypass those "Login with G+" walls for viewing throwaway pages like that. But here's the REAL scary and unnerving

"room 109 posted:

ask about room 109 there is suposed to be some ghostly activitys in there some say it is a poltergiest?well not go back to that room again but the hotel is clean and beds are comfertable cheap rooms

Grassy Knowles has a new favorite as of 07:44 on Jun 7, 2016

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

holy gently caress. I shop at that Costco all the time, it's right by my apartment. I can make an educated guess as to which mobile home park that is, too.

Is there any way we can contact her, or donate to her family? I have some food I can't eat and some clothes already bagged up for donation, I can probably dig through my closet for more if necessary. I don't have a spare room, but I want to do something. The David Parker Ray thing happened when I was a teenager, it's easily the most or second most hosed up thing to happen here I think (West Mesa murders being very close to it IMO).

drat. I just noticed it had burned down a couple days ago when I was driving by, too.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

I got to the end of that and literally said "fuuuuuuuuck" out loud. I'll just add my voice to the chorus of others urging you to start a blog and/or collect your writings into a book. Because fuuuuuuuck.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Droogie posted:

Culturally, we have a perception about survivors. Survivors are strong, and survivors capture our hearts. They have their time in the spotlight, and then they don’t have to worry about the day to day problems of everyone else. Survivors will have needs, whether they be need medical or psychological, but whether it’s fiction or reality, we want to know that they’re cared for and they’ve gone through the worst they’ll ever have to. We don’t like to know that the truth is that people get forgotten, and they bare permanent scars that make living a normal life impossible.

Cindy Vigil would later become Cynthia Jaramillo.

Cynthia Jaramillo is still trying to piece her life back together.

:aaaaa: God drat.

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005

Droogie posted:

good post

whoa

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Droogie posted:

:words: to make a man turn to drink

Jesus Christ, this reads like the plot of a particularly dark Coen brothers movie. That poor woman. :smith:

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Imagine being trapped in a train. In the middle of a 2.5 km tunnel at a 30-degree angle. Halfway up a mountain. On fire. In the dark.

It ends as fear it will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_o4VFv6Seo

On 11 November 2000 a fire started in one carriage of a funicular railway which runs under the Alps in Kaprun, Austria. A recent upgrade included the addition of a fan heater in the attendant's cabin. The heater was not intended for use in such environments and proved fragile. An electrical fire in the heater ignited leaking hydraulic fluid. The fire burned out of control, cut the electricity and brought the train to a halt. 155 died in the fire. All (except 2 in a downward train, who died from fumes) elected to go up the tunnel. The 12 survivors all elected to go down the tunnel past the burning rear of the train. The passengers who headed upwards would have had to climb for 2km through smoke and toxic fumes to reach the end. None made it further than 150m, most didn't make it as far as 15m. The 12 who escaped had to travel less than 500m. The tunnel remains closed to this day.

I loving love how before the investigation found the cause of the fire, the Times was trying to blame it on snowboarders setting off firecrackers as a prank gone wrong. Reminds me of the Sun attacking Liverpool fans after the Hillsborough disaster. Is this ludicrous victim-blaming typical of the UK press?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Screaming Idiot posted:

Jesus Christ, this reads like the plot of a particularly dark Coen brothers movie. That poor woman. :smith:

You missed the bit where it occurred on the location of a particularly dark Coen Brothers movie, then?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Jedit posted:

You missed the bit where it occurred on the location of a particularly dark Coen Brothers movie, then?

That's what brought the Coen brothers to mind, actually.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

FourLeaf posted:

I loving love how before the investigation found the cause of the fire, the Times was trying to blame it on snowboarders setting off firecrackers as a prank gone wrong. Reminds me of the Sun attacking Liverpool fans after the Hillsborough disaster. Is this ludicrous victim-blaming typical of the UK press?

The Sun I'd expect it from, The Times not so much

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Thanks for that. I guess it's not like everyone who escapes from a situation like that gets a million dollars from the government in damages or something and has an easy life.

What about the woman who escaped from Castro? 20 years in custody, Michigan, escaped with 2 others?

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

djssniper posted:

The Sun I'd expect it from, The Times not so much

They're both owned by Murdoch.

The Times, sadly, has—in the last decade—made the inexorable slide into pernicious tabloid journalism (in places) that's just Red Top slurs in fancy language.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Sometimes even heroes get a poo poo deal. John Rabe, the German factory owner in Nanjing who set up a safe zone as the Imperial Japanese Army war-crimed its way across Mainland China during WWII, was arrested by the Allies, released, and forgotten by everyone except the people of Nanjing until decades after his death.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

cat_herder posted:

holy gently caress. I shop at that Costco all the time, it's right by my apartment. I can make an educated guess as to which mobile home park that is, too.

Is there any way we can contact her, or donate to her family?

I do to. I was looking around the parking lot on Sunday when I went as if it were a different place.

I don't know of a specific reputable way to donate directly to her or her family, but I would recommend contacting The Red Cross, as they were helping everyone displaced by the fire find places to stay.

Kaizoku posted:

Full Tripadvisor review for you, there's nothing really great missing.
Thanks for posting that and telling me about the service. I will often use a guerilla mail account, but I didn't want to go through the hassle at the time.

Kaizoku posted:

But here's the REAL scary and unnerving

Many people believe the Desert Sands to be haunted. It's possible, but most places the motel is listed on are ghost and ghost hunting sites that are really groan-worthy, so I didn't include the haunted (yet unexplained for not even being 60 years old) aspect of it.

Droogie has a new favorite as of 14:12 on Jun 7, 2016

Infyrno
Jul 24, 2003

The Duke

Galsia posted:

This is a horrible question but I'm really curious. Do you know where I can see the picture?

Here is a link to it. I looked up some information to double check and the day after he killed her he and his family left on a cruise and it was after they returned that he took this picture and demanded ransom. Cruises are usually a week long at least right? I would guess that it was cold enough in Alaska that her body was frozen.

Potentially :nms: http://40.media.tumblr.com/a471f37c20cca1d3cd2b716c70a82467/tumblr_nkctk6aIbx1uosimwo1_1280.jpg :nms:

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
Haven't seen it mentioned in the thread, but I know he's been mentioned a few times for sure. Lonnie Franklin Jr. AKA The Grim Sleeper was sentenced to death on Friday. I watched the HBO documentary about him a few months back and I'm glad justice is being served for all those poor women he murdered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Sometimes even heroes get a poo poo deal. John Rabe, the German factory owner in Nanjing who set up a safe zone as the Imperial Japanese Army war-crimed its way across Mainland China during WWII, was arrested by the Allies, released, and forgotten by everyone except the people of Nanjing until decades after his death.

Reminds me of Folke Bernadotte who helped rescue thousands from the concentration camps and was later assassinated by the Stern Gang (a future Israeli prime minister, Yitzhak Shamir was part of the trio who undertook the assassination) for being seen as too strongly pro-Palestine.