Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
I think I have to vote against Marc Berman for his pro-littering stance. I think I've averaged one mailer from him per day for the past two weeks. Today I got three.

And I thought Ro Khanna's mailer-happy campaign was bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I think I have to vote against Marc Berman for his pro-littering stance. I think I've averaged one mailer from him per day for the past two weeks. Today I got three.

i just mailed in my ballot and voted honda again

also it felt good to vote against noted Dylann Storm Liu, Peter Kuo, again, because gently caress that guy and his base of rich racist rear end in a top hat chinese voters

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

i just mailed in my ballot and voted honda again

I want Honda to win (for obvious reasons; last thing we need is to replace an HPC member with someone who has openly denounced HPC budget proposals as too partisan to be deserving of support) but I think it'll be Khanna's to lose come November (what with the ethics scandals and Honda's age and poor financing). :sigh:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I want Honda to win (for obvious reasons; last thing we need is to replace an HPC member with someone who has openly denounced HPC budget proposals as too partisan to be deserving of support) but I think it'll be Khanna's to lose come November (what with the ethics scandals and Honda's age and poor financing). :sigh:

It's especially rich because Khanna sent emails saying MIKE HONDA GET CORPS CASH

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Apparently we have no drought.

cbservo
Dec 26, 2009

by exmarx
Is there a major difference between Harris and Sanchez for the senate seat?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Now that we're done arguing about trains, it's time to argue about housing again. AB 2501 (housing density bonus) has passed the Assembly with an overwhelming majority (50-11); goes to Senate now. Summary from Streetsblog:

quote:

A.B. 2501: This bill, co-authored by Assemblymember Tom Daly (D-Anaheim), would streamline and strengthen the state’s density bonus law. It actually would do quite a bit, according to Bloom’s office, including:

Clarifying that the intent of the law is to encourage the development of affordable housing and that the incentives provided for in the law are available “by right,” meaning they require no special approval by commissions or city councils, to developers who build affordable units.

Ensuring that local governments process density bonus applications expeditiously and establish certainty that inaction by the local government will not delay a proposed housing development.

Clarifying that an applicant for a density bonus need only demonstrate that requested incentives reduce the cost of development.

Increasing the certainty regarding the number of additional units a developer is allowed to build in exchange for providing affordable units.

Limiting the ability of local governments to impose additional requirements on density bonus developers that do not increase a development project’s feasibility.
http://cal.streetsblog.org/2016/03/16/santa-monica-lawmaker-takes-aim-at-californias-housing-shortage/

And Jerry is proposing a major change to -- gasp! -- make it easier for developers to build housing. The horror!

quote:

Gov. Jerry Brown has proposed sweeping statewide legislation that would allow new market-rate projects with onsite affordable housing to be approved "as of right," in potentially California's most significant housing policy change in years.

The proposal has big ramifications for the Bay Area, where many cities and well-organized residents' groups have long fought residential development.

The trailing legislation to the state's 2016-2017 budget would require state assembly and senate approval. Under the proposal, new projects with 20 percent affordable housing for tenants making no more than 80 percent of the area median income or projects with 10 percent affordable housing near transit would be exempt from most local reviews.

That would be a sharp break from the current policy of most Bay Area cities, including San Francisco, where each new housing project is subject to discretionary review and usually takes years for approval.
The proposal would prevent cities from requiring conditional use permits, planned unit development permits or other discretionary review for new projects with affordable housing. But projects would have to be consistent with local general plans and zoning, meaning that height and density restrictions would remain. Units would be required to remain affordable for at least 30 years to take advantage of the exemption.
http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/blog/real-estate/2016/05/brown-affordable-housing-development-approval-ceqa.html

This doesn't fix the issues with overly restrictive zoning in cities, but it's still a huge step forward.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 28, 2016

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

cbservo posted:

Is there a major difference between Harris and Sanchez for the senate seat?

Harris is closer to Boxer, Sanchez is a member of the Blue Dogs and is closer to Feinstein. Sanchez also tends to make tone-deaf, racist comments.

Otherwise they're both Democrats so not the sort of major differences you get between a Dem and a Republican.

cbservo
Dec 26, 2009

by exmarx

Litany Unheard posted:

Harris is closer to Boxer, Sanchez is a member of the Blue Dogs and is closer to Feinstein. Sanchez also tends to make tone-deaf, racist comments.

Otherwise they're both Democrats so not the sort of major differences you get between a Dem and a Republican.

That's what I thought. Harris was getting my vote anyway, I thought I remembered Sanchez being one of the few blue dogs to survive the purge but wasn't sure.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

News to me!

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

cbservo posted:

That's what I thought. Harris was getting my vote anyway, I thought I remembered Sanchez being one of the few blue dogs to survive the purge but wasn't sure.

Sanchez's district is majority Latino and votes D+20 or something, of course she'd have survived

It'd be cool if Bao Nguyen, the young mayor of Garden Grove, succeeded her

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

One other thing is that Harris is a law & order former prosecutor. I think she's open to reform programs but I don't know about that. I feel being a prosecutor gives you a distorted view into the judicial and penal systems. That said I prefer a more liberal senator. And I don't know much about Sanchez.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Harris has a history of mismanagement and extravagant spending, the SF crime lab was a total mess while she was DA and nothing was done until her successor took over and it became a bigger deal, a lot of cases were tossed out. She also seems to like spending for luxury hotels for herself while her staff is forced into cheaper hotels, which isn't good optics. She isn't terrible, but is probably a future campaign finance investigation target a term or two down the line. I'll still reluctantly vote for her because Sanchez is far too centrist/right leaning.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sanchez was on Forum recently: http://ww2.kqed.org/forum/2016/05/19/congresswoman-loretta-sanchez-draws-on-capitol-hill-experience-in-race-for-u-s-senate/

She used the words "socially liberal, fiscally conservative" to describe herself at one point.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Leperflesh posted:

One other thing is that Harris is a law & order former prosecutor. I think she's open to reform programs but I don't know about that. I feel being a prosecutor gives you a distorted view into the judicial and penal systems. That said I prefer a more liberal senator. And I don't know much about Sanchez.

She opposes the death penalty, if that helps. But yeah, at the end of the day she'll be "tough on crime."

Tars Tarkas posted:

Harris has a history of mismanagement and extravagant spending, the SF crime lab was a total mess while she was DA and nothing was done until her successor took over and it became a bigger deal, a lot of cases were tossed out. She also seems to like spending for luxury hotels for herself while her staff is forced into cheaper hotels, which isn't good optics. She isn't terrible, but is probably a future campaign finance investigation target a term or two down the line. I'll still reluctantly vote for her because Sanchez is far too centrist/right leaning.

Do you have any more details/sources about the financial stuff? As far as the DA mismanagement, it looks like they didn't bother to file any Brady declarations for a while despite knowing they needed to, which is unsettling. Those are important disclosures.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

Kobayashi posted:

Sanchez was on Forum recently: http://ww2.kqed.org/forum/2016/05/19/congresswoman-loretta-sanchez-draws-on-capitol-hill-experience-in-race-for-u-s-senate/

She used the words "socially liberal, fiscally conservative" to describe herself at one point.

So, like Jerry Brown?

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Triglav posted:

So, like Jerry Brown?

No, like an OC-area Democrat.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Kobayashi posted:

No, like an OC-area Democrat.

A Klansman?

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

Cicero posted:

Now that we're done arguing about trains, it's time to argue about housing again. AB 2501 (housing density bonus) has passed the Assembly with an overwhelming majority (50-11); goes to Senate now. Summary from Streetsblog:

http://cal.streetsblog.org/2016/03/16/santa-monica-lawmaker-takes-aim-at-californias-housing-shortage/

And Jerry is proposing a major change to -- gasp! -- make it easier for developers to build housing. The horror!

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/blog/real-estate/2016/05/brown-affordable-housing-development-approval-ceqa.html

This doesn't fix the issues with overly restrictive zoning in cities, but it's still a huge step forward.

You mean like almost the entire United States (and many other countries too I'm sure)?

I actually called on the telephone like an animal and asked my reps to support it.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Flier update: As if to make up for the long weekend, I got four Marc Berman fliers today.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

ComradeCosmobot posted:

speaking of which, my mom said that she saw at least 10 khanna fliers in various neighbors' garbage walking down the street today

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I think it's funny that the pointless libertarian party primary is made extra pointless by the fact that their nominee's already been selected. No chance at all for McAfeementum.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Shear Modulus posted:

I think it's funny that the pointless libertarian party primary is made extra pointless by the fact that their nominee's already been selected. No chance at all for McAfeementum.

sounds like a hell of an inefficiency on the california lolbertarian party's part

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

sounds like a hell of an inefficiency on the california lolbertarian party's part

Actually it's very efficient: you get to throw your vote away twice!

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-ucla-shooting-20160601-snap-story.html

2 dead in a shooting at UCLA; campus on lockdown.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

I miss college but gently caress finals

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Dude, finals were some of the best times. It was a good combination of great parties and great chill time. Plus, other people were stressed so you could give them a quick hot beef injection to relieve the pressure.

It was a loving magical time of year.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Shbobdb posted:

Dude, finals were some of the best times. It was a good combination of great parties and great chill time. Plus, other people were stressed so you could give them a quick hot beef injection to relieve the pressure.

It was a loving magical time of year.

Were/are you a dropout who would hang out on campuses to take advantage of young stressed females?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Nah, graduated Magna cum laude from a big ten school then went on to get a Phd in microbiology.

The trick is to treat people with respect and not use terms like "females"

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Shbobdb posted:

Nah, graduated Magna cum laude from a big ten school then went on to get a Phd in microbiology.

tell us more tricks about your hot beef injections, Shbobdb.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Shbobdb posted:

The amount of dudes I know who refer to women as females and the amount of dudes I know who get laid regularly could make a perfect circle on a venn diagram.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
As someone who supported the redistricting committee years ago to un-gridlock the legislature and make the state more competitive, I find Assembly District 4's layout to be weird as hell. All three candidates seem to be from the Sacramento/Davis area, yet the district goes as far west as into Sonoma County and ripping about half a suburban community from the rest of it's wine country neighbors to be represented by these people from the Sacramento valley.

Anecdote and all, but was this effort at all successful in being fair? "Fair" not necessarily being the same thing as competitive, because layouts like this probably create competitive districts but reach so awkwardly across the geography to do it that they don't look fair in the slightest.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Litany Unheard posted:

Do you have any more details/sources about the financial stuff? As far as the DA mismanagement, it looks like they didn't bother to file any Brady declarations for a while despite knowing they needed to, which is unsettling. Those are important disclosures.

Here is a typical report from December where the hotel stuff was revealed, this was just after new of hercampaign burning through most of her money and a staff shakeup - https://www.nationaljournal.com/s/125536/posh-hotels-pricey-airfare-meet-senate-candidate-driving-some-democrats-crazy

quote:

A re­view of the Har­ris cam­paign’s Fed­er­al Elec­tion Com­mis­sion re­ports re­veals it was far from a one-time splurge: In June, the cam­paign spent $1,500 to house Har­ris for a night at Hou­s­ton’s posh Hou­s­toni­an Hotel. In Ju­ly, it was an­oth­er night at the St. Re­gis, this time for $1,600. In Chica­go, it was the Wal­dorf As­tor­ia. In Bo­ston, the Four Sea­sons. And on four oc­ca­sions this year, Har­ris’ cam­paign paid for rooms at the pricey W Hotel in Los Angeles.

The total price tag for these first-class ac­com­mod­a­tions? Al­most $18,000.
And here is an article from 2003 where she had spending problems in the SF DA campaign - http://www.sfgate.com/politics/article/Harris-violated-S-F-campaign-finance-law-D-A-2554388.php

quote:

Harris broke the voluntary $211,000 spending cap after promising to honor it for the district attorney's race. Her original decision to abide by the limit was published in the city's official Voter Information Pamphlet, which the Department of Elections distributes to the city's more than 400,000 registered voters.

Now, under an order by the Ethics Commission issued early Saturday morning, Harris must take the unprecedented step of buying ads in The Chronicle and more than 20 other daily, weekly and monthly newspapers to inform voters that she will not abide by the spending cap.

In addition, Harris said she would reiterate her new position in her campaign literature and on her Web site.

The Harris campaign also faces administrative fines, the amount of which has yet to be determined. Harris and the Ethics Commission agreed that she would pay no more than $34,000 in combined fines and the cost to publish the newspaper ads.

None of this is career ruining, but it's a pattern of mismanagement that may result in something bad down the line. Still, she's probably the best candidate.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Tars Tarkas posted:

None of this is career ruining, but it's a pattern of mismanagement that may result in something bad down the line. Still, she's probably the best candidate.

Yeah, it's kind of unfortunate but even considering money mismanagement + warped criminal justice views from DA'ing, she's the best candidate by far. The other viable options include:

Loretta Sanchez (D), an Islamophobic shithead who has pretty terrible foreign policy views but is otherwise more less a rank and file liberal Dem.
Tom Del Beccaro (R), who wants to implement a flat tax and kick all those dirty illegals out.
Duf Sundheim (R), gently caress common core, gently caress HSR, gently caress yeah the second amendment, also the military needs more money because :911:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Craptacular! posted:

As someone who supported the redistricting committee years ago to un-gridlock the legislature and make the state more competitive, I find Assembly District 4's layout to be weird as hell. All three candidates seem to be from the Sacramento/Davis area, yet the district goes as far west as into Sonoma County and ripping about half a suburban community from the rest of it's wine country neighbors to be represented by these people from the Sacramento valley.

Anecdote and all, but was this effort at all successful in being fair? "Fair" not necessarily being the same thing as competitive, because layouts like this probably create competitive districts but reach so awkwardly across the geography to do it that they don't look fair in the slightest.

Eh. The only weird thing about AD4 is how it just extends and sucks up Rohnert Park which doesn't make sense nor fair at all (I grew up Santa Rosa so it's definitely weird to me). Sounds like just a population-grabbing thing there. It really should just stop around 29 and stop by Clearlake. Most of the general area outside that is almost same-y lowish population farmland and there is pretty strong similar economic/interest aggregation for the rest of it which makes sense. I think in general it' been successful but of course some things will slip through the cracks.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Sydin posted:

Loretta Sanchez (D), an Islamophobic shithead who has pretty terrible foreign policy views but is otherwise more less a rank and file liberal Dem.

That's troubling. Is there more out there on that subject, besides this event? (I admit, I haven't looked very hard.)

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

CPColin posted:

That's troubling. Is there more out there on that subject, besides this event? (I admit, I haven't looked very hard.)

Not specifically against Muslims no, but she does seem to be unable to avoid making really boneheaded racist comments. There's the whole "I thought I was meeting woo-woo Indians, not Indians from India" thing, as well as "The Vietnamese are trying to take my seat" comment.

So she's either a racist or a moron.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Craptacular! posted:

Anecdote and all, but was this effort at all successful in being fair?

Not really.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Sydin posted:

Not specifically against Muslims no, but she does seem to be unable to avoid making really boneheaded racist comments. There's the whole "I thought I was meeting woo-woo Indians, not Indians from India" thing, as well as "The Vietnamese are trying to take my seat" comment.

So she's either a racist or a moron.

Better or worse than Massie Munroe, who believes that there are secret MK-ULTRA stem programs that are trying to control our minds via satellite, and describes this openly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
All the pro Hillary news today is really taking the wind out of tomorrow's primary voting.