Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I'm thinking about trying a Faith character with a bit of melee. Does this sound about right assuming I start Deprived:

20 vig
20 end
18 att
12 dex (so I can use a Raw Bestoc as well as a RawASS)
rest in fai until I hit 60

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Knight would work a little better for 7 Luck. It and Pyromancer are typically the best for stats just for that.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Deprived all day every day

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
This thing where phantoms can't enter the fog gate (and has happened to me in reverse) or leave as soon as they're summoned (not using crystal) sure is super annoying. My internet's running fine. Fix your servers From!

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

Deprived all day every day

I started as a deprived in DS3, but I heard that it's somehow the worst class in the game. Which would be weird if it is.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Relin posted:

This thing where phantoms can't enter the fog gate (and has happened to me in reverse) or leave as soon as they're summoned (not using crystal) sure is super annoying. My internet's running fine. Fix your servers From!

I crystal out as soon as I notice the host being in a rigid t-pose. Thats a sure sign stuff isnt going to work.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

It's kind of baffling that DS1 had less severe bugs.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I wasn't expecting to play this game so much in so quickly, but I'm rolling my third character, a Twinblade fighter (thanks FROM for making the Mercenary start with twinblades).

Am I the only one that habitually has to collect every piece of treasure even though it won't serve my build any good? This'll be the playthrough where I break that habit.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

DoubleCakes posted:

I wasn't expecting to play this game so much in so quickly, but I'm rolling my third character, a Twinblade fighter (thanks FROM for making the Mercenary start with twinblades).

Am I the only one that habitually has to collect every piece of treasure even though it won't serve my build any good? This'll be the playthrough where I break that habit.

You and me both, man. I see a shiny, I touch the shiny.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Fire Barrel posted:

I started as a deprived in DS3, but I heard that it's somehow the worst class in the game. Which would be weird if it is.

Like Doomykins said, if you're going magic you don't really need luck so knight is best. If you're going pure melee then the warrior(?) class is best because it has 6 att 8 int and 9 fai, the least points in those useless stats. I'm going deprived because I don't need points in str or vit beyond 10 each. None of this matters unless you're a min/max sperg.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Deprived in theory makes it easier for me because I can respec with less min-max nagging at me. "But it's not optimaaaaal!"

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

Deprived in theory makes it easier for me because I can respec with less min-max nagging at me. "But it's not optimaaaaal!"

But with deprived any stat allocation will be non-optimal.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Yeah bout to say, wasn't it like Deprived's luck stat was non-optimal unless you were going for a luck build

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

every build has something that isn't optimal for some build tbh

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Some starters you're giving up like 5-9 levels in worthless stats you probably don't want if you switch to a suboptimal build.

You do that with every build if you're Deprived.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I think he was saying he doesn't worry about being sub-optimal when he picks Deprived because Deprived is already sub-optimal.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

The endings of all the npc quests are a bit of a bummer. "Then they went hollow and/or died" is the good end. :v:

Pretty much the same as in dark souls 1 then. Only people who dont have a proper ending are Petrus, Patches, Domhnall of Zena, Ingward and the firekeeper. Though i guess the game hints that maybe you should kill Petrus because he is an rear end in a top hat.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yuria and your pyromancy teacher don't have a bad end

actually if you want the real champion of dark souls, look to andre. he's basically fine from beginning to end

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Manatee Cannon posted:

yuria and your pyromancy teacher don't have a bad end

actually if you want the real champion of dark souls, look to andre. he's basically fine from beginning to end

Isn't it also that Andre never hollowed because he's always had the same purpose in life(undeath?): Being a badass blacksmith and just pounding away on his anvil forever.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

DoubleCakes posted:

I was expecting to play a lot more. I've had it since launch and still only have the Abyss Kings :x

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Has anyone read this deep lore on the origin of Boletaria and Lordran in the world of King's Field?
Das Souls Universem

This comes from a guy who has dug as deep into the lore of King's Field as people have into the Souls games. I don't know if I should spoiler this or not, but I'm going to anyway just on the basis of how insanely detailed it is.

What I got (after translating to English) was this: Both Boletaria and Lordran existed on the original Earth of King's Field, which was created by Guyra (a black dragon/god/angel) and Seath (a white dragon/god/angel - the man we know as Seath is an imposter seeking dragon/god hood). The Old One came to this planet to feed on its inhabitants souls, kind of like a trap door spider Galactus sitting under Boletaria.

This didn't sit well with another would-be-god named the Blue Phoenix, who sent mage Kal Fargus to take care of the threat. Kal used water magic called Fog to seal the old one and basically put him in the Phantom Zone along with the whole of Boletaria. Lordran, the land of giants, was also phantom zoned - it's presumed these are related since Soul Magic left the earth when the Old One did. The Fog is the reason for all the time/space mumbo jumbo - it envelopes the land and causes all manner of distortion. The Old One, being sealed, had to turn to avatars to reap souls. This is the origin of hollowing and the undead.

The story of Demon's and Dark Souls is of lands separated from Earth, tumbling through nothingness enshrouded in reality-distorting fog. Its peoples live, build, fall, crumble to cinders and are reignited again and again, in increasingly shorter cycles like cycling a dying rechargable battery. They remain blissfully unaware that the sun that warms them is the burning of their own souls. The true quest for the sun, for illumination, is the quest to pierce this veil, to see what lies beyond it, and to have the strength to end that horror.

Seems to be backed up a bit here. The chosen one is the big bang conduit that brings together enough souls to fire things up again. Things look similar because the the chosen ones are remaking the world and they can't help the old one bleeding in a lot.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

GulagDolls posted:

none of that negates it being a dream world

everything in this series has always operated on dream logic

Archdragon Peak exists in the dreams of the Everlasting Dragon slumbering on the mountainside at the end of the level.

That's my headcanon anyway.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Deified Data posted:

Archdragon Peak exists in the dreams of the Everlasting Dragon slumbering on the mountainside at the end of the level.

That's my headcanon anyway.

wait what

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Araganzar posted:

Has anyone read this deep lore on the origin of Boletaria and Lordran in the world of King's Field?
Das Souls Universem

This comes from a guy who has dug as deep into the lore of King's Field as people have into the Souls games. I don't know if I should spoiler this or not, but I'm going to anyway just on the basis of how insanely detailed it is.

What I got (after translating to English) was this: Both Boletaria and Lordran existed on the original Earth of King's Field, which was created by Guyra (a black dragon/god/angel) and Seath (a white dragon/god/angel - the man we know as Seath is an imposter seeking dragon/god hood). The Old One came to this planet to feed on its inhabitants souls, kind of like a trap door spider Galactus sitting under Boletaria.

This didn't sit well with another would-be-god named the Blue Phoenix, who sent mage Kal Fargus to take care of the threat. Kal used water magic called Fog to seal the old one and basically put him in the Phantom Zone along with the whole of Boletaria. Lordran, the land of giants, was also phantom zoned - it's presumed these are related since Soul Magic left the earth when the Old One did. The Fog is the reason for all the time/space mumbo jumbo - it envelopes the land and causes all manner of distortion. The Old One, being sealed, had to turn to avatars to reap souls. This is the origin of hollowing and the undead.

The story of Demon's and Dark Souls is of lands separated from Earth, tumbling through nothingness enshrouded in reality-distorting fog. Its peoples live, build, fall, crumble to cinders and are reignited again and again, in increasingly shorter cycles like cycling a dying rechargable battery. They remain blissfully unaware that the sun that warms them is the burning of their own souls. The true quest for the sun, for illumination, is the quest to pierce this veil, to see what lies beyond it, and to have the strength to end that horror.

Seems to be backed up a bit here. The chosen one is the big bang conduit that brings together enough souls to fire things up again. Things look similar because the the chosen ones are remaking the world and they can't help the old one bleeding in a lot.

You shouldn't really be expecting that to be anything other than fan wanky bullshit.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Fereydun posted:

wait what

Didnt you notice the mountain sized dragon on the peak facing the altar?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Pretty sure that King's Field thing is wrong.

Like, it completely omits the god who created Guyra and Seath. I can't remember his name, but he created them in order to govern the world, but because they were opposites they fought each other.

Guyra is the Black Dragon of Light, while Seath is the White Dragon of Darkness. The fact they're not what you would think is a plot point if I recall.

The Moonlight Sword is not actually a creation of Seath, it's a creation of Guyra.

Seath, in contrast, created the Dark Slayer which you can murder Guyra with.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jun 7, 2016

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Genocyber posted:

You shouldn't really be expecting that to be anything other than fan wanky bullshit.

What if in Baldur's Gate 2 when your ship sunk you washed up on Morrowind.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Impossible. You can't make an archer/thief/fighter/mage/cleric in BG2.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Did Seath in King's Field have weird tentacle legs? That's one of the things I always found strange about his design.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Where's Bloodborne in that mess?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

blargh I am Seath, fear me

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

turtlecrunch posted:

pretty close i guess :v:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Gus Hobbleton posted:

Impossible. You can't make an archer/thief/fighter/mage/cleric in BG2.

Hell, it'd be annoying to do even with a mod.

Best you can do is make a Thief/Mage/Cleric triplekit and maybe use weapons that give extra attacks since that's all Fighters are good for?

Could do something like Archer Thief Kit/Wild Mage/Knight of the Red Strategist or whatever they're all called.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jun 7, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

turtlecrunch posted:

I'm trying to parse this design and can't.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Tallgeese posted:

It's kind of baffling that DS1 had less severe bugs.

game is rushed, Ive had more bugs and glitches in this game then the rest of the souls series combined.

Also goddamn, NG+ champion with a pure pryomancy caster is what finally made me give up trying for all rings achivement . Even with sage ring+1 it feels like random chance to even toss a fireball and not immediately get murdered by a combo attack. and thats if chaos bed vestiges doesnt just clip through him doing 1/3rd damage instead of actually hitting him. I think I'm done with this game now.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

turtlecrunch posted:

How's it feeeeeeellll Seeaatthhhh...

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I was just watching some king's field 4 stuff and man did they come a long way with demon's souls

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm trying to parse this design and can't.

He hunches over and begins to roar to hide his boner as he walks out of the fog gate.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Tallgeese posted:

Pretty sure that King's Field thing is wrong.

Like, it completely omits the god who created Guyra and Seath. I can't remember his name, but he created them in order to govern the world, but because they were opposites they fought each other.

It's very Tolkien-cribbing stuff, IIRC. There's the big capital G God who made the world and three lesser gods. One of those gods made dwarves, another made elves, and the third made humans. Humans were kept in cryogenic storage cause they were too weak and the world wasn't ready yet. Eventually the gods that made the elves and dwarves got bored and hosed off back to heaven. The humans ended up waking up early and started warring, and in attempt to unite them the remaining god used its power to create two gods for men to worship (Seath and Guyra). Unfortunately the god hosed up and also ended up accidentally creating a festering evil that he now no longer had the power to deal with. That evil corrupted Seath and Guyra and made them war for control of the world, and is in general responsible for all of the poo poo that happens in KF1-3.

e: Also, for no particular reason, have the openings to KF3 and 4. I love these intros.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdyeuMJRI4E&t=150s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNiLz45A-WQ

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jun 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

RyokoTK posted:

Attacking him right as he's spawning in is a real shitbox thing to do considering red sign PvP is 100% voluntary.

It was actually a friend of mine, thus the no gear, all rings tripling my damage intake. He needed some faction things for the achievement and did not fancy farming the 28 vertebrae he needed. I just found it funny the animations and the head bob enough to gif it.