Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
A coworker just called and said i have to work cause a friend died so no house for me i guess. I have 11 mil to burn, any rich goon want a buncha money for getting me a small plot in gridania i can just loving pay double for? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I bet that friend was someone who died near the end of 3.0msq and he's just after that gridania plot himself

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Anyone else getting a weird 'Unable to complete version check' error? I'm assuming it has something to do with the patch.

VVV Thought as much, but it's nice to confirm it. Thanks!

bhsman fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 7, 2016

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Yes, the servers are down for the patch for maintenance and the patch hasn't been put up to download yet.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Ignimbrite posted:

Yes, the servers are down for the patch for maintenance and the patch hasn't been put up to download yet.

Does anyone know if the patch will go up before the servers go up? I'd like to log on ASAP so I can have a shot at getting one of the new housing plots.

Also, is the maintenance likely to end at 3 AM pacific sharp, or is it sometimes a little early?

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

edit; sorry for the doublepost

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Some of the earlier patches seemed to be downloadable shortly after patch notes went up, but the last few patches it seems that the download has only been available around an hour or so before the scheduled maintenance end time.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

CuddlyZombie posted:

Does anyone know if the patch will go up before the servers go up? I'd like to log on ASAP so I can have a shot at getting one of the new housing plots.

Also, is the maintenance likely to end at 3 AM pacific sharp, or is it sometimes a little early?

Second question first: maint will probably go until nearly 3AM, because it overlaps with a weekly reset and they tend to keep the servers down until after that happens. The earliest the servers could be up would be some time past 1AM PT.

The patch usually does go up before the servers, so you'll have some time to patch before the mad scramble for housing. (it is going to be a loving riot)

Nill posted:

Some of the earlier patches seemed to be downloadable shortly after patch notes went up, but the last few patches it seems that the download has only been available around an hour or so before the scheduled maintenance end time.

They seem to be trying to mitigate data mining slightly. It feels like a kind of futile effort, but most J-devs in particular are really not fond of data mining so it isn't too surprising.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Another possibility is that most of the recent patches have also involved some backend datacenter work that would make turning on the login and update servers early an undesired complication.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

SpaceDrake posted:

Second question first: maint will probably go until nearly 3AM, because it overlaps with a weekly reset and they tend to keep the servers down until after that happens. The earliest the servers could be up would be some time past 1AM PT.

The patch usually does go up before the servers, so you'll have some time to patch before the mad scramble for housing. (it is going to be a loving riot)

Thanks. Is there any way to check when maintenance will end other than keeping a watch on the launcher? How often does the launcher even check to see if maintenance has ended?

And I am scared for the housing scramble. I have a list of 4 plots I'd like to try and get, along with their closest mini-aetherytes, though I'll settle for anything.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

CuddlyZombie posted:

Thanks. Is there any way to check when maintenance will end other than keeping a watch on the launcher? How often does the launcher even check to see if maintenance has ended?

And I am scared for the housing scramble. I have a list of 4 plots I'd like to try and get, along with their closest mini-aetherytes, though I'll settle for anything.

https://arrstatus.com updates server status via ping. The FFXIV twitter will also post updates if the servers come up early but it's best to watch server status starting around 1-2AM.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

SpaceDrake posted:

https://arrstatus.com updates server status via ping. The FFXIV twitter will also post updates if the servers come up early but it's best to watch server status starting around 1-2AM.

Thanks, that's really helpful. Can you tell me what the notification does?

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
With my average internet there's no way I'll be able to download the patch in an hour unless it's fairly small. RIP me getting a house I guess.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

quote:

The ongoing maintenance on the Lodestone is now scheduled to end earlier than anticipated, at 7:30 p.m. (PDT).
Im confused

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

LethalGeek posted:

Im confused

That's the lodestone, not the in-game world.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

My glamors aren't generally very imaginative

For a while I was trying to do Potato Garo but I don't have any good screenshots of it.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

CuddlyZombie posted:

That's the lodestone, not the in-game world.

Specifically the blogging parts that no one uses. In the past they've sent the Lodestone into a weird static-only webpage view when doing updates, this time it had all the news and stuff but you couldn't log in to update that blogging feature everyone totally uses all the time. Also things like free company forums, like the Please Be Careful forums I'm sure everyone was aware existed.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Mazed posted:

Now where do you get these jeans?

Prism posted:

IIRC they're the Zidane pants from veteran's reward.

This is correct. Tantalus breeches (VR), Strife boots (ditto), hyuran gloves, shaded specs, and uraeus body armor (dyed some flavor of black). Not to mention the unexpectedly flattering Bucky-style haircut.

e: If you don't have enough sub time for Tantalus breeches to be a realistic possibility, you can also get a nice jeans look with forager's slops (level 50 gathering gear, but usable/glamourable by all classes), after experimenting a bit with blue dyes to find one you like. They're a snugger fit and have these weirdly armored shins, but it's still a good jeans look.

Vil fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jun 7, 2016

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Looks like the download is available now.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Here's my cat, straight from the Lodestone. Midan caster chest/boots, Dreadwyrm gloves (I might go for a dyeable pair depending on how expensive/farmable they wind up being). Was going for something caster-y but not too ostentatious; a lot of the robes are very poofy. I had the Sharlayan Philosopher's Coat for a while, which is good for if you want to look like a tenured professor or something.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

HelloPlatypus posted:

Hated all the 3.2 NIN glamour options so I had to go back to good 'ol adders set. Hopefully there's lots of good stuff this time around...!

wait where the gently caress do i get gear that isnt that hideous overcoat all the grand company people wear
is this a new low level set that got added at some pt
or grand company pvp gear?

Yon
Oct 7, 2003

Just one spice?
Just one spice
Just one spice...
So um, when I try to install the patch, I get this http://imgur.com/69NplPZ

Am I gonna have to reinstall if deleting the temp files doesn't work or is there a workaround?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Lobsterman posted:

So um, when I try to install the patch, I get this http://imgur.com/69NplPZ

Am I gonna have to reinstall if deleting the temp files doesn't work or is there a workaround?
This happened to me when I left the launcher open during this whole time. I closed the launcher, the launcher itself updated the next time I opened it, and now the patch is downloading.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
If that fails, grab the installer off the main website, install it to a different drive, then copy the contents of the new boot folder to your old boot folder and re-run the launcher.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Confirmed for download available on ps3 (yeah, i know) - 659mb and going at a decent pace

e: Odd that people on reddit are saying their ps3 download was 999mb, maybe they're patching from an older version? I closed mine out completely and relaunched and it's acting like it's fully updated without grabbing another 340mb :iiam:

Sentient Data fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jun 7, 2016

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

So I haven't taken a lot of screenshots recently, but here's a recent one and a slightly less recent one of my dragongirl being both kind of elegant and pretty nerdy in two different outfits:

I'm rather fond of the "oasis sarousel + snow white dyed thav sandals" combo, because at even a minor distance it actually ends up looking very much like a single piece of footwear. I'm currently using that on my tank glamour, which you can see on my old/usual lalafell (which I posted some time ago in the thread):

Though I need to :words: a bit here and say that this is part of the reason I keep flip-flopping back and forth between lalafell and au ra: potato feet are too tiny.

I actually enjoy making a bit of a challenge out of using FFXIV's ridiculous (and great) selection of sandals in all my glamours, but the big problem lalafell have are that their form emphasis is almost completely above the waist. Everything visually interesting on a lalafell tends to need to be on the chest, arm and head slots - oftentimes, even if you aren't using a robe or something, the feet and even legs won't get a lot of visual focus, and it ends to waste effort put into the lower body because the viewer's attention will largely be on your torso and head.

Au Ra, as much as they can be delicate dragon waifus sometimes, at least have a better body balance and have more balanced "visual weight" (and their emotes often include a decent bit of stance changing and whatnot, calling attention to both their upper and lower bodies). I also sort of feel like my preferred Au Ra carries my character "concept" better (i.e. she basically "mains" SCH in-universe and is therefore kind of a huge nerd).

Which is, in a way, a little bit of a shame, because lalafell pulls off my preferred SCH glamour a bit better in a way:

The funny thing is, on a non-Lalafell the Scholar chestpiece feels awkwardly heavy, somehow; it feels like it's resting on the shoulders of the character uncomfortably. Lalafells, with their potato shape and upper body emphasis, wear it a lot better. For my Au Ra, I switch it for the Allagan Healer chest (as seen in my first screenshot).

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing what can be done with the 3.3 stuff, because the dungeon and Mhach gear all looks neat (more bellbottoms! another set of healer sandals!) and we'll have to see if I continue to flip-flop between lala and au ra on my main forevermore.

Xenoveritas posted:

Specifically the blogging parts that no one uses. In the past they've sent the Lodestone into a weird static-only webpage view when doing updates, this time it had all the news and stuff but you couldn't log in to update that blogging feature everyone totally uses all the time. Also things like free company forums, like the Please Be Careful forums I'm sure everyone was aware existed.

The Japanese users, so far as I know, make a shocking amount of use of that blogging service. It's pretty much all for them.

zolthorg posted:

wait where the gently caress do i get gear that isnt that hideous overcoat all the grand company people wear

That is gear from the 2.x hunts! Check out your GC's Hunt vendor for more info, they're at the GC HQ.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jun 7, 2016

Griz
May 21, 2001

zolthorg posted:

it's the set from the allied seals vendor in the GC offices, it's been in for like two years.

Yon
Oct 7, 2003

Just one spice?
Just one spice
Just one spice...

Martman posted:

This happened to me when I left the launcher open during this whole time. I closed the launcher, the launcher itself updated the next time I opened it, and now the patch is downloading.

Restarting the launcher didn't work, but I found a workaround on the oforums surprisingly. Crisis averted.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Also yup, I'm patching just fine - make sure to close the launcher entirely and restart it. On PC the patch is 1.4GB, which is a little smaller than I anticipated if anything. Though granted, I guess the only new visual assets are Mhach, if anything, and everything else new would be VO and cutscene scripting. Much of the rest of the new content uses existing visual assets.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

SpaceDrake posted:

The Japanese users, so far as I know, make a shocking amount of use of that blogging service. It's pretty much all for them.

Given that the "recent blogs" sidebar on the NA Lodestone is constantly in mostly Japanese, it wouldn't surprise me. Of course I'm not sure if that's limited to posts from NA accounts or posts from character on NA servers or just not limited in any way, shape, or form.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's neat that they provide the service and props to them for it. It's just not a thing that anyone - outside of Japan, at least - really uses. :v:

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
So now that I've updated, will I need to restart the launcher once the servers are back up, or can I just sit here logged in and wait for the play button to work?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

On the console when you successfully log in it dead ends at a message that says you can't log in during maintenance, so what I've done is close the launcher, then reopen it, enter my password, have the cursor at the OTP field entry, and I'll just fill that in then click login when the server is up; I'd imagine the same will work for pc

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
You'll have to restart the launcher.

Because ...

Because Square Enix.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

SpaceDrake posted:

Au Ra, as much as they can be delicate dragon waifus sometimes, at least have a better body balance and have more balanced "visual weight" (and their emotes often include a decent bit of stance changing and whatnot, calling attention to both their upper and lower bodies). I also sort of feel like my preferred Au Ra carries my character "concept" better (i.e. she basically "mains" SCH in-universe and is therefore kind of a huge nerd).

I think I've seen your character (or at least someone using a similar look) and it's hilarious how well Au Ra pull off the nerd look, because I've strived for the complete opposite, even as Scholar myself. (as seen along with a couple of different shots of things I posted earlier)

In creating this character, I was going for the Hawaiian look. I also have Warrior, and a goal with that is to try cosplaying Lani from FF9 at some point, though sadly there really isn't any tank-compatible equipment in-game to match her distinct style that I've been able to find. There's some that kind of evoke it, I guess, but she's not a recognizable enough character for most people to catch the resemblance. :v:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
gently caress. When are servers coming up? I wanted to buy a house.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

gently caress. When are servers coming up? I wanted to buy a house.

Target time is another 3 and a half hours.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Though the datacenter and excal are both responding to pings, so it might be as soon as 1.5h from now (the time of the reset)

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Is the patch ready for download?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Yeah, all 3 platforms are reporting it's ready to go, just log in (though I haven't heard about mac if that's native rather than a wrapped pc now)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

https://twitter.com/mattalos/status/740067993955115008

They're keeping it at 3AM on the dot so everyone knows when to get on. Get prepared.

Mazed posted:

I think I've seen your character (or at least someone using a similar look) and it's hilarious how well Au Ra pull off the nerd look, because I've strived for the complete opposite, even as Scholar myself. (as seen along with a couple of different shots of things I posted earlier)

In creating this character, I was going for the Hawaiian look. I also have Warrior, and a goal with that is to try cosplaying Lani from FF9 at some point, though sadly there really isn't any tank-compatible equipment in-game to match her distinct style that I've been able to find. There's some that kind of evoke it, I guess, but she's not a recognizable enough character for most people to catch the resemblance. :v:

Yeah, Lani is kind of a problem because there's just no outfit (and specifically, no headware) like hers at the moment. Lani would be a good choice for an "obscure but neato" outfit for them to reference.

And the character you saw was mine because you commented on it last time I posted my glamours to Bubblegum. :v: I ultimately think I'll stick with Au Ra because yeah, as much as I like lalafell animations the au ra just sells the "hueg nerde" element better. That SCH victory pose actually feels like it makes sense on an au ra.

(also the eureka on an au ra is the best thing)

• Locked thread