Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

strangemusic posted:

TIME FOR CONTENT: because apparently I hate money.

link? edit-nm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

saw this, had to order it.

Doom PS4

Pineapple de-corer/slicer

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

evobatman posted:

It's giant, and heavy, and obsolete. It has a cassette player on the opposite end from the CD player. It doesn't have regular RCA plugs or speaker connections, you have to use adapters. Most likely you would never hear a difference between this and any $150 sound system made today that takes up a fifth of the space if they were hooked up to the same speakers.

The design is Danish, while the actual electronics usually are medium-to-high-level off the shelf massproduced japanese parts, with some extra quality control, in-house software and tuning. You're pretty much guaranteed that it will never sound directly bad, and at the cheap prices for used stuff you're guaranteed decent sound for low prices. I collect these because I love the design elements like a nice piece of furniture, I like getting $3000 electronics for pretty much disposable pocket money, I can work on them and repair them as a hobby, and I'm happy knowing that the sound quality isn't trash.

B&O speakers are a bit more special, made with resonance-free resin or with built in amplifiers to bring lots of sound from relatively small sizes.

Cool. I saw a video of it on youtube and looks pretty fancy. I never ever listen to CDs, but if I had a nice house and listened to music on CD I'd love having one. Definitely got the villain look

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Because I hate my colleague's chatter while trying to post work

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Bose :rolleyes:

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Guess I hate having money.

Spamtheman
May 30, 2005

Effer of the ineffable
At least I can now see what I look like before making it into the lift:

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

Keetron posted:

Because I hate my colleague's chatter while trying to post work

gently caress the haters, I have these and love them very much. However, if you still can, you should return them and get the new ones. I think you'll be much happier down the road.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

AlexF posted:

gently caress the haters, I have these and love them very much. However, if you still can, you should return them and get the new ones. I think you'll be much happier down the road.

I think so too, nice to see my luck that like three days after ordering my most expensive audio item ever an upgrade is announced.

Will use these for a week to see when the new ones show up in stores on this side of the pond. Got 30 day return for any reason so that should be fine.

Leon Black
Sep 2, 2004

Say whaaaat?
Some items. The board game is for a family member stuck in hospital, I heard it was a good 2 player option.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

Keetron posted:

nice to see my luck that like three days after ordering my most expensive audio item ever an upgrade is announced.

If it's any consolation: Same thing happened to me last year...with the car I bought.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

evobatman posted:

It's giant, and heavy, and obsolete. It has a cassette player on the opposite end from the CD player. It doesn't have regular RCA plugs or speaker connections, you have to use adapters. Most likely you would never hear a difference between this and any $150 sound system made today that takes up a fifth of the space if they were hooked up to the same speakers.

The design is Danish, while the actual electronics usually are medium-to-high-level off the shelf massproduced japanese parts, with some extra quality control, in-house software and tuning. You're pretty much guaranteed that it will never sound directly bad, and at the cheap prices for used stuff you're guaranteed decent sound for low prices. I collect these because I love the design elements like a nice piece of furniture, I like getting $3000 electronics for pretty much disposable pocket money, I can work on them and repair them as a hobby, and I'm happy knowing that the sound quality isn't trash.

B&O speakers are a bit more special, made with resonance-free resin or with built in amplifiers to bring lots of sound from relatively small sizes.

I'm sure I praised your previous B&O purchase and now I need to look into acquiring some more. I have a Beomaster 1900-2 that I need to re-bulb and replace a capacitor or two in.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

88h88 posted:

I'm sure I praised your previous B&O purchase and now I need to look into acquiring some more. I have a Beomaster 1900-2 that I need to re-bulb and replace a capacitor or two in.

These are so cool. Do any of you have old spectrum displays or EQs with spectrum displays?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

colas posted:

These are so cool. Do any of you have old spectrum displays or EQs with spectrum displays?

I used to work for a few B&O franchises and to my knowledge they never put out anything like that, they were always about clean looking design. The EQ in that particular unit is under the lid... and I lied, I have a 2400 which has a touch panel rather than the pitted buttons. Really need to get it out of storage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBPT4lsC5T0

colas
Feb 14, 2007

I meant in general, not just BO

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Ah, then no. The only EQ/graphic poo poo I have in my audio collection belongs to my PA kit. I do need to buy some for hi-fi though because let's face it, it's loving cool as poo poo.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

88h88 posted:

Ah, then no. The only EQ/graphic poo poo I have in my audio collection belongs to my PA kit. I do need to buy some for hi-fi though because let's face it, it's loving cool as poo poo.

I really like smaller stereos in the 80s/90s that had good spectrum displays but I can't find any. They make new component EQs with them though.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

AlexF posted:

If it's any consolation: Same thing happened to me last year...with the car I bought.

That's not so bad. I bought my truck 8 years ago, 3 months before the price of all trucks magically dropped by about 10,000

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Hate on Bose all you want (with good reason) but no one makes better noise cancelling headphones than them.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Fayez Butts posted:

Hate on Bose all you want (with good reason) but no one makes better noise cancelling headphones than them.

I dunno, I'm pretty happy with my thirty dollar Howard Leights :shrug:

Bought a new cycling helmet, but needed just one more thing to push me past the free shipping threshold:

http://cdn3.volusion.com/n9g24.e5uwf/v/vspfiles/photos/SockGuy-WCRSAS2-1.jpg

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Fayez Butts posted:

I have a pair of Sennheisers and a pair of Sony Bluetooth noise cancelling headphones that would disagree with you.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

OSU_Matthew posted:

I dunno, I'm pretty happy with my thirty dollar Howard Leights :shrug:

I don't get it, can you listen to stuff with them on?

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Fayez Butts posted:

I don't get it, can you listen to stuff with them on?
You can, but they aren't noise canceling and it's a ridiculous comparison. Noise-canceling headphones are for listening to music while reducing low-level external noises. Howard Leight makes hearing safety earmuffs that block out construction sites and firing ranges, and have speakers in them as an afterthought.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.

Leon Black posted:

Some items. The board game is for a family member stuck in hospital, I heard it was a good 2 player option.

Just finished the Name of the Wind, really enjoyed it. Can't wait for the next one.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fayez Butts posted:

Like DJCobal said, other brands such as Sennheiser as offer just as good products for much cheaper. With Bose, you're paying extra for the brand name.

They're basically like Beats, except for the Mitt Romney crowd.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Wanamingo posted:

Like DJCobal said, other brands such as Sennheiser as offer just as good products for much cheaper. With Bose, you're paying extra for the brand name.

I got noise canceling ones from Amazon for $10 and they work really well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B014LMM7PS/ref=sxl1?qid=1465281159&sr=1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Those look like on-ear headphones, they can't really be noise cancelling.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

That's not so bad. I bought my truck 8 years ago, 3 months before the price of all trucks magically dropped by about 10,000

You remind me of the apartment we bought in September 2008, like a few months before the market crashed.

Upside: we wouldn't been able to get a mortgage in 2009 as I hadn't sold the other house yet.
Downside: we couldn't sell the old apartment unless at a huge loss
Upside: we rented it out at cost and now at a decent profit while housing prices are up and over 2008. The tenant is paying off the mortgage.
Downside: complicated tax forms

Biggest downside was the huge stressful time it all gave us. Wasn't worth it.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

The more offensive product is their car stereo option in some cars. It's not much of an upgrade from the average. But you see the name and you're like oh ok let me crank this poo poo...oh. It reminds me of the laptops with JBL, Polk, or whatever logos. It's a laptop ffs. I fixed one with an Altec Lansing badge, it just sounded like a laptop.

colas has a new favorite as of 12:47 on Jun 7, 2016

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Wanamingo posted:

I would agree with wrt to regular headphones, but their noise cancelling option tend to be among the best. Even the wirecutter agrees there. They do have Sennheiser on that list, but as their luxury pick as they are more expensive than the Bose.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-noise-cancelling-headphones/

I only take my Bose when I'm flying, otherwise I use my Audio Technica ATH M-50.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I bought some shoes.

They feel nice.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Tindjin posted:

Just finished the Name of the Wind, really enjoyed it. Can't wait for the next one.

Get ready to be disappointed.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Not sure if that last goon just didn't like it or if they were joking but Wise Man's Fear is already out.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I also bought a Daskeyboard 4 when they were on sale last week. I got the professional with cherry blues.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I got computer parts. No pics cause, they are computer parts.

i7 4790k
Corsair VENGEANCE PRO 16gb ram, in red cause that's the fastest color.
Gigabyte LGA motherboard
Corsair carbide plain rear end case
Thermaltake SMART 700W power supply

A friend is giving me a ssd and a 980 ti in a few weeks, so I can rough it for a bit with just the on board video. Gotta track down a good mouse and keyboard and see if they still sell the Microsoft Natural designs.

Also gotta grab a cooler for the cpu once the new card rolls in, but that's like a month off.

Tomorrow will be pc building day, and may god have mercy on my soul.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

A friend is giving me a ssd and a 980 ti in a few weeks, so I can rough it for a bit with just the on board video.

Can I be friends with your friend?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Not even gonna lie, blew my loving mind when I looked up that card, cause I was thinking it was like some 200 dollar card he was upgrading. Nope. Turns out he's going dual 1070 or some number like that.

Shocked the hell outta me.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe
I fly around 10k a month for work and my BOSE noise cancelling headphones are a godsend. Screaming children? Dinging plane sounds? Flight attendant? Not a problem.

I paid slightly more for them, but the noise cancelling just works.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Not even gonna lie, blew my loving mind when I looked up that card, cause I was thinking it was like some 200 dollar card he was upgrading. Nope. Turns out he's going dual 1070 or some number like that.

Shocked the hell outta me.

Did you at least give him a thank you blowie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

New boots for work.

They haven't required safety toe so far, but with someone losing their toe recently in our company, I thought It would be safe to ask for a pair as my birthday president. They are so comfortable.