Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

EwokEntourage posted:

Are you being willfully dense? It not tossing words, it was called lynching less than a year ago.

Maybe you think it shouldn't have been called it, but the author didn't make up a new word or call it something it had never been called before

it was called that in the past (not today) in california alone. as someone who understands the common colloquial definition of lynching instead of the obscure use of lynching in california state law it's a really jarring word choice that is deliberate and inappropriate

they might as well have mentioned that it's illegal for her to tie a giraffe to a lamp post as well so long as we're just digging up legal quirks and throwing them out there to get clicks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Cassandra Quin Butts unexpectedly died on May 26, 2016 at only 50 years old of acute leukemia. She spent the last 2 years of her life waiting for confirmation for the position of ambassador to the Bahamas, which had gone without an ambassador for the past 4 and a half years, solely because Senator Tom Cotton knew that she was a friend of the president and saw blocking her confirmation in particular, in his words, as a way to inflict special pain on the president.

The confirmation blocks and resulting diplomatic limbo states aren't anything new, but I appreciate the opportunity to think about the situation from a more human perspective.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

ComradeCosmobot posted:

The GOP has finally unveiled its plan to gut thoughtfully replace Dodd-Frank.

Highlights:

quote:

The regulator would also see some of its major powers curbed. Among those are the CFPB’s ability to bar any financial product in deems to be “abusive,” and its ability to gather consumer financial data.

oh go gently caress yourselves what the gently caress

PONZI SCHEMES ARE BACK IN A BIG WAY, BABY - modern GOP

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

yeah, really

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
DC is also a very segregated and racist place. Not that Chicago isn't, but the southern charm of DC's racism seems to be particularly galling to Michelle.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Necc0 posted:

oh go gently caress yourselves what the gently caress

PONZI SCHEMES ARE BACK IN A BIG WAY, BABY - modern GOP

the GOP's complete unwillingness to ever acknowledge the possibility that someone can ever act in bad faith or just be plain dumb and hurt others in the process knows no bounds. i know this is nothing new but ENTIRELY removing the ability to label ANY financial instrument as abusive? really?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Necc0 posted:

the GOP's complete unwillingness to ever acknowledge the possibility that someone can ever act in bad faith or just be plain dumb and hurt others in the process knows no bounds. i know this is nothing new but ENTIRELY removing the ability to label ANY financial instrument as abusive? really?

Look, if it's really abusive, the free market will decide and people will steer clear (after a bunch of people lose their life's savings)

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

Followed by the Anti-Arzy Election Map:
]https://i.imgur.com/pXrEvTW.png

This is if Trump gets +5% and Clinton gets -5% compared to the Romney/Obama 2012 numbers I think? Or maybe a 5% shift total.

Is there a map like this, but where the opposite happens (Hillary +5%, Trump -5%)?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Look, if it's really abusive, the free market will decide and people will steer clear (after a bunch of people lose their life's savings)

If those dirty poors had money they wouldn't need pay day loans. Meanwhile, the GOP wants to deregulate them by including a silicone fist rammed up one's rear end at first payment.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

FAUXTON posted:

I wonder how tightly married folks are to their audit the fed stuff.

The ones that really believe in it are pretty married to it, but the problem with is that you can get a boatload of other people to sign off on it because it sounds "reasonable."

It's a really bad idea, though. It seems like most economists often aren't thrilled with the Fed, but I doubt even the economists that are most critical of the Fed would be happier with it being used as a political football in congress even more than it already is. Congress can barely keep the executive branch going.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Barbe Rouge posted:

Is there a map like this, but where the opposite happens (Hillary +5%, Trump -5%)?

http://www.270towin.com/maps/5B4Q7

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/740010631244353537

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Thanks for the link.
It's frustrating how the guy actually did it for 10 months and then ran into a hurdle he couldn't jump over and still remained convinced that he was right.

Thanks. I checked the 270towin site, but didn't know where to set the +/- 5% settings.
Looking through wikipedia, that would be the biggest Dem win since LBJ. I don't know how the hell the Republicans managed to get those huge Nixon/Reagan wins, that kind of thing seems impossible today.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

JohnnySavs posted:

What exactly is so horrible about living in DC that being POTUS/FLOTUS doesn't alleviate it?

People fixate over DC but I suspect the bigger issue is that being perceived as having power over others is really uncomfortable for most people.

Imagine how many people seek her out purely to gain something from association with her now. Having people be obsequious at you is super irritating. Having people be angry at you for things a family member did that you have no control over is also very frustrating.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Barbe Rouge posted:

Thanks for the link.
It's frustrating how the guy actually did it for 10 months and then ran into a hurdle he couldn't jump over and still remained convinced that he was right.

Yeah it's amazing how he learned nothing when he had to stop the experiment early because of an unexpected illness in the family that made it impossible for him to continue.

I succeeded after months on food stamps and in homeless shelters and no one helped me! Sure I quit early because I had a bit of unforeseen bad luck, so that part doesn't count but anyone else can totally make it on their own just like I did! Anyway, I'm off back to my family support network and connections now.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Necc0 posted:

the GOP's complete unwillingness to ever acknowledge the possibility that someone can ever act in bad faith or just be plain dumb and hurt others in the process knows no bounds.
The bounds are definitely there, they're just defined by income and skin color and whether you live in a swing state.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Bushiz posted:

Audit the Fed has managed to be the Republican Youth Outreach Program somehow. I guess it's to keep the three kids in bowties who show up at the convention happy

GOP Maintains Solid Hold on Youth That Already Look Like Old Men

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I hope Hillary burns the entire GOP to the ground. It's better than they deserve.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

McAlister posted:

People fixate over DC but I suspect the bigger issue is that being perceived as having power over others is really uncomfortable for most people.

Imagine how many people seek her out purely to gain something from association with her now. Having people be obsequious at you is super irritating. Having people be angry at you for things a family member did that you have no control over is also very frustrating.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Obamas didn't have any domestic "help" until the inauguration; I at least would feel very uncomfortable living in a huge mansion with staff crawling everywhere and doing everything for you. It's just not a lifestyle some people can adjust to, especially if they weren't born with a silver spoon up their rear end. You gotta remember how meteoric Obama's rise to the White House was.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Barbe Rouge posted:

Thanks for the link.

Thanks. I checked the 270towin site, but didn't know where to set the +/- 5% settings.
Looking through wikipedia, that would be the biggest Dem win since LBJ. I don't know how the hell the Republicans managed to get those huge Nixon/Reagan wins, that kind of thing seems impossible today.

Nixon would be something similar to a situation in which the GOP gave the nomination to someone like Cruz or Jeb! at the convention. Democrats ended up nominating Hubert Humphrey in 1968 despite the popularity of a somewhat insurgent anti-war candidate named Eugene McCarthy, and the death of Bobby Kennedy. Humphrey hadn't campaigned in the primary but did some back channel poo poo with movers and shakers and managed to cobble together a delegate majority.

Reagan is a little different.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jun 7, 2016

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Even if I was a billionaire I'd probably only have a chef and a really sassy/smartass guy/gal to answer the door because that's the bare minimum I expect a really rich person to have

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Epic High Five posted:

Even if I was a billionaire I'd probably only have a chef and a really sassy/smartass guy/gal to answer the door because that's the bare minimum I expect a really rich person to have

You'd make a lovely job creator.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

DemeaninDemon posted:

You'd make a lovely job creator.

They'd be very well compensated.

If I was really that rich I'd probably have a bunch of modest homes with 3-4 people in them year round that I would keep on constant fear of my visiting and busting whatever meth or prostitution ring they've got going on, but otherwise they'd have a pretty sweet gig going

I'd still be a better job creator than Romney, and they'd be better jobs than any Trump has ever created for regular assholes

Vote EHF 2016

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I'd vote for you.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Epic High Five posted:

I'd have a sassy butler who can keep trading barbs with my business partner and a nanny to look after the kids who I can fall in love with when my wife dies.

Now that I'm more familiar with human trafficking, Nanny is actually kinda creepy with the employer/employee dynamic.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Yall fronting like you wouldn't have 50+ highly-trained ballwashers on shifts.

booj fantasizing is counterrevolutionary

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

moller posted:

Yall fronting like you wouldn't have 50+ highly-trained ballwashers on shifts.

srry i don't like golf

it's probably why I'll never be rich :(

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I think golf's dumb and there are far more fun recreational sports to play. Namely, beer league softball.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
this is excellent news!!! for donald!!!

Dick Morris Is in Talks to Join the Trump Campaign

Rubber Tucky
Oct 14, 2004

Next time I will pay attention while choosing my thread tags.

Epic High Five posted:

This guy listens to Common People and doesn't realize Shatner is making fun of him, smdh

Wait.

Shatner?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

DemeaninDemon posted:

I think golf's dumb and there are far more fun recreational sports to play. Namely, beer league softball.

MMA. Imagine a world where it's fashionable for the ultra rich to beat the poo poo out of eachother on TV.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Rubber Tucky posted:

Wait.

Shatner?

William Shatner did a spoken word cover of Common People, and some people's pop culture experiences are incredibly sad

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

MMA. Imagine a world where it's fashionable for the ultra rich to beat the poo poo out of eachother on TV.

I think we called that the middle ages.

Those tourneys were brutal.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Bring back dueling.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Epic High Five posted:

srry i don't like golf

it's probably why I'll never be rich :(

I was thinking of an entirely different kind of ballwasher

Rubber Tucky
Oct 14, 2004

Next time I will pay attention while choosing my thread tags.

theflyingorc posted:

William Shatner did a spoken word cover of Common People, and some people's pop culture experiences are incredibly sad

Leaving this here for Epic High Five so he can experience Common People the way Jarvis Cocker intended and also hopefully fall down a Pulp wormhole. I'm a little jealous he's hearing this for the first time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuTMWgOduFM

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Kristol is wrong, every time, but in a sort of clean way that you might call mathematically or fundamentally wrong. Morris is the kind of wrong that Thompson would have written pages about. Wrong on the math and the fundamentals but wrong in how he frames his assumptions and wrong in how he presents his wrong predictions. He's viscerally wrong, he looks wrong and sounds wrong. The only thing that isn't wrong about him is his kink but there's no right or wrong with that as long as it's consensual so it isn't really on the binary scale. He's wrong in every way one can intellectually be wrong.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Slate has an article about the probable loss of former Tea Party darling/now "big government liberal" Rep. Renee Ellmers (because she didn't vote to block the debt ceiling hikes and stripped a provision which would have required women to file rape reports with the police in order to get the dispensation for rape victims to have an abortion after 20 weeks)

From a couple pages back but Bouie got this one wrong. Ellmers' only real competitor Holding is about as establishment as it gets; he's challenging her because his district got sent to the other side of the state. The district itself is largely white flight suburbs around Raleigh full of northern transplants, hardly a tea party hotbed. They tried the RINO stuff against her in 2014 and it didn't work.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Rubber Tucky posted:

Leaving this here for Epic High Five so he can experience Common People the way Jarvis Cocker intended and also hopefully fall down a Pulp wormhole. I'm a little jealous he's hearing this for the first time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuTMWgOduFM

I've heard both of these, the Shatner cover after I heard the Pulp version and I -still- prefer the former over the latter.

It's like how Johnny Cash took Hurt from Trent Reznor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

citybeatnik posted:

I've heard both of these, the Shatner cover after I heard the Pulp version and I -still- prefer the former over the latter.

It's like how Johnny Cash took Hurt from Trent Reznor.

Speaking of, http://www.avclub.com/article/guy-fieri-eating-hurt-johnny-cash-emotional-experi-237784

• Locked thread