Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RODNEY THE RACEHOR
Jan 1, 2016

i hope my friend dahmer has a happy ending
throw it in the chute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

RODNEY THE RACEHOR posted:

throw it in the chute

Wouldn't fit, mate.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
LET’S READ THE KINGKILLER CHRONICLE CRITICALLY

Part 26: “’Nothing pleasant,’ she said, avoiding my eyes. ‘But nothing unexpected either.’”

Slight warning: my criticisms are probably going to just get more and more repetitive.

It’s a new term in Chapter 62, “Leaves”, and Kvothe is managing his workload better. His best bet for making money now is artificing, which is making magical items if you forgot. One day Master Kilvin is displaying the students a load of bone-tar, a dangerous substance he has procured. When Kvothe returns to the inn he finds Denna and...

Yeah, it’s happening again. These two plotlines actually converge, but the pacing and structuring is still ridiculous. There’s no thematic or aesthetic continuity between them beside the droning narration. And the action is limited to dull conversations: Kvothe talks to Manet while Kilvin provides exposition, then he talks to Denna, then he talks to Wilem and Simmon, then he talks to Kilvin, then he talks to Manet again, then he goes back to talk to Kilvin, then Wil and Simon again, then Denna again, then Deoch...

Again, this format of a chapter-by-chapter review meets its limit when faced with the sheer drudgery of Chapters 60-68. Since I’m not as masochistic as Ronan Wills, I’m just going to provide high-lights of each chapter and provide my thoughts at the end. That is how lacking these chapters are.

There’s an anachronistic scene of a volatile liquid arriving at the Artificery:

quote:

The belling tower struck the hour outside, and Kilvin looked around, marking the faces of everyone there. I didn’t doubt for a moment that he took note of exactly who was missing. “For several span we will have this in the shop,” he said simply, gesturing to the metal container that stood nearby. “Nearly ten gallons of a volatile transporting agent: Regim Ignaul Neratum.”

“He’s the only one that calls it that,” Manet said softly. “It’s bone-tar.”

“Bone-tar?”

He nodded. “It’s caustic. Spill it on your arm and it’ll eat through to the bone in about ten seconds.”

While everyone watched, Kilvin donned a thick leather glove and decanted about an ounce of dark liquid from the metal canister into a glass vial. “It is important to chill the vial prior to decanting, as the agent boils at room temperature.”

He quickly sealed off the vial and held it up for everyone to see. “The pressure cap is also essential, as the liquid is extremely volatile. As a gas it exhibits surface tension and viscosity, like mercury. It is heavier than air and does not dissipate. It coheres to itself.”

With no further preamble Kilvin tossed the vial into a nearby firewell, and there was the sharp, clear sound of breaking glass. From this height, I could see the firewell must have been cleaned out specially for this occasion. It was empty, just a shallow, circular pit of bare stone.

Kvothe talks with Denna, and is supposed to be a teenager:

quote:

“You remind me of a willow.” She said easily. “Strong, deep-rooted, and hidden. You move easily when the storm comes, but never farther than you wish.”

I lifted my hands as if fending off a blow. “Cease these sweet words,” I protested. “You seek to bend me to your will, but it will not work. Your flattery is naught to me but wind!”

She watched me for a moment, as if to make sure my tirade was complete. “Beyond all other trees,” she said with a curl of a smile on her elegant mouth, “the willow moves to the wind’s desire.”

[...]

Like all boys of my age, I was an idiot when it came to women. The difference between me and the others is that I was painfully aware of my ignorance, while others like Simmon bumbled around, making asses of themselves with their clumsy courting. I could think of nothing worse than making some unwelcome advance toward Denna and having her laugh at the awkwardness of my attempt. I hate nothing more than doing things badly.

Chapter 63, “Walking and Talking”, is nothing but Kvothe talking with his two interchangeable friends about walking and talking with Denna:

quote:

I began to bristle. “I don’t ramble. We just walked,” I said. “Talked.”

Sim looked doubtful. “Oh come on. For six hours?”

Wilem tapped Simmon’s shoulder. “He’s telling the truth.”

Simmon glanced over at him. “Why do you say that?”

“He sounds more sincere than that when he lies.”

“If the two of you will be quiet for a minute or so I’ll tell you the whole of it. Fair?” They nodded. I looked down at my hands, trying to collect my thoughts, but they wouldn’t fall into any sort of orderly pattern. “We took the long way back to Imre, stopped on Stonebridge for a while. Went to a park outside town. Sat by the river. We talked about…nothing really. Places we’ve been. Songs…” I realized I was rambling and shut my mouth. I picked my next words carefully. “I thought about doing more than walking and talking but—” I stopped. I had no idea what to say.

They were both silent for a moment. “I’ll be,” Wilem marveled. “The mighty Kvothe, brought low by a woman.”

Chapter 64, “Nine in the Fire”, Kvothe has made a magic lamp as an apprentice work, and is showing it to Kilvin. He doesn’t like it since it’s a thieves’ tool, but Kvothe’s work is still exceptional:

quote:

“Do not grovel,” he said. “False modesty does not impress me.”

I looked up and squared my shoulders. “In that case, Master Kilvin, I am better. I learn faster. I work harder. My hands are more nimble. My mind is more curious. However, I also expect you know this for yourself without my telling you.”

Kilvin nodded. “That is better. And you are right, I do know these things.” He thumbed the lamp on and off while pointing it at different things around the room. “And in all fairness, I am duly impressed with your skill. The lamp is tidily made. The sygaldry is quite cunning. The engraving precise. It is clever work.”

I flushed with pleasure at the compliments.

“But there is more to artificing than simply skill,” Kilvin said as he lay the lamp down and spread his huge hands out flat on either side of it. “I cannot sell this lamp. It would gravitate to the wrong people. If a burglar were caught with such a tool it would reflect badly on all arcanists. You have completed your apprenticeship, and distinguished yourself in terms of skill.” I relaxed a bit. “But your greater judgment is still somewhat in question. The lamp itself we will melt down for metals, I suppose.”

There is some progression. Kvothe surmises from his elderly friend that there’s a hidden entrance to the Archives, and now he has a lamp which he can use to explore at night.

In Chapter 65, “Spark”, Kvothe talks to his interchangeable friends, Denna, and Deoch, in that order. Kvothe promises to meet Denna for lunchs. That is all the progression in the chapter.

In Barry Lyndon, there are two chapters where the hero returns to Ireland to continue his wooing of Lady Lyndon. This involves reuniting with his family, ingratiating himself into the high society of Dublin, running a sword through Lady Lyndon’s suitor, then presenting Lady Lyndon’s old love letters to turn said suitor against her, and personally terrorizing Lady Lyndon.

It’s a much better romance because there is action to it. Like I’ve said, Kvothe's and Denna's romance isn't bad in principle, there is simply too much time spent on it when it explicitly goes nowhere:

quote:

I spoke subtle circles around the way I felt, not wanting to be overbold. I thought she might be doing the same, but I could never be sure. It was like we were doing one of those elaborate Modegan court dances, where the partners stand scant inches apart, but—if they are skilled—never touch.

Such was our conversation. But not only were we lacking touch to guide us, it was as if we were also strangely deaf. So we danced very carefully, unsure what music the other was listening to, unsure, perhaps, if the other was dancing at all.

And remember, this is intertwined with all that stuff about volatile chemical, apprenticeship, etc. The dialogue between them in these chapters could be cut entirely without any loss. There is no weight or depth to them. This is why readers bristle at the mention of Denna: she represents denied expectations as both theme and as wasted paper.

In Chapter 66, “Volatile”, Kvothe is working at the Artificery when the bone-tar causes a fire to break out and for dear old Anton Pavlovich to lurch in his place of repose. The whole chapter is remarkable in how utterly dull Rothfuss’s prose makes it. The sequence is appended by minutiae that rob it of any power:

quote:

“Should there be this much frost?” I asked him, pointing out the tar canister. Its edges were covered in fine white tufts of frost, like tiny shrubs. The air around the metal actually shimmered with cold.

[...]

Moving carefully, I ran through the decanting procedure in my head, making sure I hadn’t forgotten anything. It was so cold that my breath hung white in the air. The sweat on my hands froze my fingers to the canister’s fastenings the same way a curious child’s tongue sticks to a pump handle in the dead of winter.

I decanted about an ounce of the thick, oily liquid into the pressure vial and quickly applied the cap. Then I made my way back to the fume hood and started preparing my materials. After a few tense minutes, I began the long, meticulous process of preparing and doping a set of blue emitters.

My concentration was broken two hours later by a voice behind me. It wasn’t particularly loud, but it held a serious tone you never ignore in the Fishery.

It said, “Oh my God.”

Because of my current work, the first thing I looked at was the bone-tar canister. I felt a flash of cold sweat roll over me when I saw black liquid leaking from one corner and running down the worktable’s leg to pool on the floor. The thick timber of the table’s leg was almost entirely eaten away, and I heard a light popping and crackling as the liquid pooling on the floor began to boil. All I could think of was Kilvin’s statement during the demonstration: In addition to being highly corrosive, the gas burns when it comes in contact with air….

quote:

Fela hadn’t screamed or called for help, which meant no one but me had noticed the danger she was in. If Kilvin’s demonstration was any indication, I guessed the whole shop could be a sea of flame and caustic fog in less than a minute. There wasn’t any time….

I glanced at the scattered projects on the nearby worktable, looking for anything that could be of some help. But there was nothing: a jumble of basalt blocks, spools of copper wire, a half-inscribed hemisphere of glass that was probably destined to become one of Kilvin’s lamps….

And as easy as that, I knew what I had to do. I grabbed the glass hemisphere and dashed it against one of the basalt blocks. It shattered and I was left with a thin, curved shard of broken glass about the size of my palm. With my other hand I grabbed my cloak from the table and strode past the fume hood.

Kvothe valiantly rescues Fela with some quick thinking. Unfortunately he falls unconscious and misses his lunch with Denna. He’s also lost a shirt and his only pair of shoes. On the other hand, people are spreading stories of the incident and Kvothe is now considered a hero.

It took five chapters to accomplish all of this. Granted, they tend to be short, but this once again shows the books’ poor pacing and structuring. All the nonsense with Denna and magic items can be told in one chapter each. Instead Rothfuss misguidedly attempts to liven them up by intertwining them. Thackeray has all the happenstance during Barry Lyndon’s return to Ireland tie into his rough wooing of Lady Lyndon. That is competent storytelling. These five chapters are also exemplary in that they are very good examples of the narrowness of imagination that plagues Kingkiller. Or perhaps not so much plague as define.

Why is it that the most fantastical thing featured in these five chapters of this fantasy epic are lamps that grow very bright and a chemical fire in a college laboratory? This again goes back to the great irony that the book is less fantastical and outlandish than most “realist” novels I’ve read. There’s a dialogue in Crime and Punishment where a man recalls seeing a ghost of a woman he might or might not have murdered. That’s about more substantially imaginative than anything that happens in Kingkiller, because the fantastical in the series never indicates a deeper meaning or a greater purpose.

You might wonder why I still bother with this, but it’s all in order to free this thread of the curse of Kingkiller.

quote:

Deoch gave me a sympathetic grimace. “She asked about you,” he said consolingly. “And waited for a good long while too, almost an hour. Longest I’ve ever seen that one sit still.”

“Did she leave with someone?”

Deoch looked down at his hands, where he was toying with a copper penny, rolling it back and forth over his knuckles. “She’s not really the sort of girl who spends a lot of time alone….” He gave me a sympathetic look. “She turned a few away, but did eventually leave with a fellow. I don’t think she was really with him, if you catch my meaning. She’s been looking for a patron, and this fellow had that sort of look about him. White-haired, wealthy, you know the type.”

I sighed. “If you happen to see her, could you tell her…” I paused, trying to think of how I could describe what had happened. “Can you make ‘unavoidably detained’ sound a little more poetic?”

“I reckon I can. I’ll describe your hangdog look and shoeless state for her too. Lay you a good solid groundwork for some groveling.”

I smiled despite myself. “Thanks.”

“Can I buy you a drink?” he asked. “It’s a little early for me, but I can always make an exception for a friend.”

I shook my head. “I should be getting back. I’ve got things to do.”

---

I limped back to Anker’s and found the common room buzzing with excited folk talking about the fire in the Fishery. Not wanting to answer any questions, I slunk into an out-of-the-way table and got one of the serving girls to bring me a bowl of soup and some bread.

As I ate, my finely tuned eavesdropper’s ears picked out pieces of the stories people were telling. It was only then, hearing it from other people, that I realized what I had done.

I was used to people talking about me. As I’ve said, I had been actively building a reputation for myself. But this was different; this was real. People were already embroidering the details and confusing parts, but the heart of the story was still there. I had saved Fela, rushed into the fire and carried her to safety. Just like Prince Gallant out of some storybook.

It was my first taste of being a hero. I found it quite to my liking.

ROTHFUSSIAN ANACHRONISMS

quote:

Jaxim peered at it, then shrugged. “Better too cold than not cold enough,” he said with a humorless chuckle. “Heh heh. Kaboom.”

SHRUG

quote:

“I thought I’d play the dutiful mentor today,” he shrugged.

quote:

He absently ran his hands through his wild hair and shrugged.

quote:

Manet shrugged.

quote:

Sim grinned, shrugging it off.

quote:

He tapped his head for a moment, then shrugged.

quote:

I shrugged, buying a moment to think. I couldn’t tell her the truth. I knew every man must compliment her, bury her in flattery more cloying than roses. I took a subtler path. “One of the masters at the University once told me that there were seven words that would make a woman love you.” I made a deliberately casual shrug. “I was just wondering what they were.”

quote:

Sim shrugged off my comment.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jul 6, 2016

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Slight warning: my criticisms are probably going to just get more and more repetitive.

Don't worry, to anyone who's read the books more then once (or maybe 11 times) they can barely tell the difference.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016
I remember there being some general creepiness about Fela in the first book. Did that show up in this chapter or is it later on?

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

Grenrow posted:

I remember there being some general creepiness about Fela in the first book. Did that show up in this chapter or is it later on?

It's in literally every chapter Fela is in.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Well Kvothe just happens to save her twice, and she starts hitting on him (a fifteen year old boy).

Also Ambrose harasses her, which leads to this:

quote:

Ambrose stiffened and his arm slid off the back of the chair to fall at his side. His expression was pure venom. “When you’re older, E’lir, you’ll understand that what a man and a woman do together—”

“What? In the privacy of the entrance hall of the Archives?” I gestured around us. “God’s body, this isn’t some brothel. And, in case you hadn’t noticed, she’s a student, not some brass nail you’ve paid to bang away at. If you’re going to force yourself on a woman, have the decency to do it in an alleyway. At least that way she’ll feel justified screaming about it.”

[...]

There was a pointed silence from Ambrose, so I lowered my shirt and turned to face Fela, ignoring him entirely. “My lady scriv,” I said to her with a bow. A very slight bow, as my back wouldn’t permit a deep one. “Would you be so good as to help me locate a book concerning women? I have been instructed by my betters to inform myself on this most subtle subject.”

Fela gave a faint smile and relaxed a bit.

Remember, Kvothe is supposed to be fifteen.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 5, 2016

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

If you’re going to force yourself on a woman, have the decency to do it in an alleyway. At least that way she’ll feel justified screaming about it.

Jesus christ. Yeah, this is the line I was thinking of. The only thing worse than this is the scene with Kvothe and actual rape victims from book 2.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think there's another one where he winds up in her room or something too. But that could be literally any of the women since they're all written exactly the same with the exception of Devi, sort of.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Grenrow posted:

Jesus christ. Yeah, this is the line I was thinking of. The only thing worse than this is the scene with Kvothe and actual rape victims from book 2.

Its some truly excruciating writing you sort of miss in the moment as your reading because you're so used to Kvothe always dropping one liners but it sounds like something a neckbeard nerd would try to sputter out at a party when he gets into an argument with the cool dude. I honestly think all of these slick lines are things that Rothfuss had in his head as a comeback when he was getting taunted/disrespected in his life but never said out loud and thinks if he had said him the entire room would stand and clap.

That Rothfuss would allegedly refuse to accept any criticism of his prose is pretty damning when this is what he puts out. It's like he lives in a bubble of internet/nerd culture and he honestly thinks sick burns are the height of literary genius.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think there's another one where he winds up in her room or something too. But that could be literally any of the women since they're all written exactly the same with the exception of Devi, sort of.

They're all nothing more then 1-dimensional set pieces to show off how great Kvothe is, either by having sex with him, being a blatantly wrong racist, or someone who teaches him something then is blown away that he mastered it better then they did.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Eh, the one girl masters the name of stone before him. And Devi beats him at sympathy. Other than those two things though you're absolutely right.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

pentyne posted:

Its some truly excruciating writing you sort of miss in the moment as your reading because you're so used to Kvothe always dropping one liners but it sounds like something a neckbeard nerd would try to sputter out at a party when he gets into an argument with the cool dude. I honestly think all of these slick lines are things that Rothfuss had in his head as a comeback when he was getting taunted/disrespected in his life but never said out loud and thinks if he had said him the entire room would stand and clap.

That Rothfuss would allegedly refuse to accept any criticism of his prose is pretty damning when this is what he puts out. It's like he lives in a bubble of internet/nerd culture and he honestly thinks sick burns are the height of literary genius

True, but hopefully, by the end of this, you will be free of your hatred. That is my sincere wish.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

I have disagreed with a majority of things posted re: part 26 (including part 26 itself).

I will concede that the Bone-Tar is a pretty clumsy pavlov's gun, but honestly I don't often see one that isn't clumsy to some extent.

The one point I want to pick out in particular is:

quote:

Why is it that the most fantastical thing featured in these five chapters of this fantasy epic are lamps that grow very bright and a chemical fire in a college laboratory? This again goes back to the great irony that the book is less fantastical and outlandish than most “realist” novels I’ve read. There’s a dialogue in Crime and Punishment where a man recalls seeing a ghost of a woman he might or might not have murdered. That’s about more substantially imaginative than anything that happens in Kingkiller, because the fantastical in the series never indicates a deeper meaning or a greater purpose.

This is a point you've touched on a number of times, and I've always found it to be a strength rather than a problem. The world is a fantasy world that none of its inhabitants really think is a fantasy world - Kvothe is the only one that's really peered 'behind the curtain' at all. The storytelling makes even the actual magic (sympathy) into an empirical thing to enforce a feeling of mundane-ness on the world. This sets up not only a huge contrast with Naming (as the more 'conventional' feeling magic), but also a core conflict for Kvothe, who needs to do research on something that the rest of his peers genuinely think is a children's storybook monster.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The magic isn't boring because of how the characters approach it, it's boring in itself. It rarely reflect any interesting idea, theme, or aesthetic, and is always expressed through slack prose.

The chemical fire isn't dull because it's supposed to be mundane, it's expressed in a very boring manner. It's just a chemical fire. Here is how three fantasy authors describe fire, the very substance of energy and destruction:

Mervyn Peake:

quote:

Fuchsia's hands came across the heavy object almost at once, and as they did so the room was lit up with a tongue of flame that sprang into the air among the books on the right of the unused door. It died almost at once, withdrawing itself like the tongue of an adder, but a moment later it shot forth again and climbed in a crimson spiral, curling from left to right as it licked its way across the gilded and studded spines of Sepulchrave's volumes. This time it did not die away, but gripped the leather with its myriad flickering tentacles while the names of the books shone out in ephemeral glory. They were never forgotten by Fuchsia, those first few vivid titles that seemed to be advertising their own deaths.

For a few moments there was a deadly silence, and then, with a hoarse cry, Flay began to run towards the shelves on the left of the main door. The firelight had lit up a bundle on the floor, and it was not until Flay had picked it up and carried it to the table that the others were reminded with horror of the forgotten octogenarian—for the bundle was Sourdust. For some time it was difficult for the Doctor to decide whether he were alive or not.

Joe Abercrombie:

quote:

Another surge of flame went up, people stumbled away, shoving madly, a ripple through the straining crowd. They suddenly parted and the Incredible Ronco came thrashing straight at Shivers, white fire wreathing him like some devil burst out of hell. Shivers tottered back, smashed him away with his shield. Ronco reeled into the wall, bounced off it and into another, showering globs of liquid fire, folk scrambling away, steel stabbing about at random. The flames spread up the dry ivy, first a crackle, then a roar, leaped to the wooden wall, bathing the heaving courtyard in wild, flickering light. A window shattered. The locked gates clattered as men clutched at 'em, screaming to be let out. Shivers beat the flames on his shield against the wall. Ronco was rolling on the ground, still burning, making a thin screech like a boiling kettle, the flames casting a crazy glare across the bobbing masks of guests and entertainers—twisted monsters' faces, everywhere Shivers looked.

Patrick Rothfuss:

quote:

Quick as I was, I wasn’t quick enough. There was a blinding crimson flare from the corner of the workshop as the fog began to catch fire, sending up strangely angular tongues of violent red flame. The fire would heat the rest of the tar, causing it to boil more quickly. This would make more fog, more fire, and more heat.

As I ran, the fire spread. It followed the two trails the bone-tar made as it ran toward the drains. The flames shot up with startling ferocity, sending up two curtains of fire, effectively cutting off the far corner of the shop. The flames were already as tall as me, and growing.

Fela had worked her way out from behind the workbench and hurried along the wall toward one of the floor drains. Since the bone-tar was pouring down the grate, there was a gap close to the wall clear of flame or fog. Fela was just about to sprint past when dark fog began to boil up out of the grate. She gave a short, startled shriek as she backed away. The fog was burning even as it boiled up, engulfing everything in a roiling pool of flame.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 16, 2017

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The magic is also arguably boring because of how the characters approach it. The empiricism of magic as a thing in fantasy is rarely done well because you're taking one of the primary priming triggers of the genre -- the expectation of the fantastical and impossible as represented through the power to do impossible things -- and then going "but actually it's just kind of like chemistry or physics." Clarke's Law almost never works in the inverse case, because it removes wonder from the equation rather than adding it. One could do it, but then it would require some sort of thematic importance touching on the fact that the magical is mundane to people. Rothfuss tries to have it both ways by having some magical stuff that is known and understood and other stuff that is wild and unpredictable, but there's no particular reason why the people inhabiting his world should be dismissive of fairy tale stuff when naming exists.

If pretty much all known magic were empirical then one could set up a major theme of the story about how legends are often true and some aspects of them can't be explained or categorized, setting up Kvothe as an agent of wonder in a world that has lost it and thus the only person capable of recognizing and confronting a threat posed by an enemy that lives in and thrives on the wondrous. That is decidedly not the theme as presented in the series, though, as Kvothe's entire thing is showing off how fantastical and legendary things he was involved in are not that big of a deal and have rational explanations. Which could also work as a theme, really, but again the author tries to have it both ways without properly explaining how the two aspects interplay.

There are some examples I can think of where this is played with in a clever way. Jack Vance hit upon magical empiricism, but then twisted it around by having all of that done in the past and long forgotten such that magic is wondrous again and almost more bizarre and wonderful because it operates according to a rigid method that no one understands anymore. Gene Wolfe is constantly conflating magic, miracle, and hypertech in Book of the New Sun, and the explanation for everything doesn't fully explain the religious weight granted to so much of the things that happen. I'm sure there are more on-point examples of magical empiricism as a major theme in a positive or negative sense (e.g. "There is nothing that cannot be understood and explained in time, and this is a good thing" vs. "Attempting to understand the fundamentally incomprehensible is folly").

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
LET'S READ THE KINGKILLER CHRONICLE CRITICALLY

Interlude - Jack Vance Describes Magic as a Science

quote:

Magic is a practical science, or, more properly, a craft, since emphasis is placed primarily upon utility, rather than basic understanding.

This is only a general statement, since in a field of such profound scope, every practitioner will have his individual, style, and during the glorious times of Grand Motholam, many of the magician-philosophers tried to grasp the principles which governed the field.

In the end, these investigators, who included the greatest names in sorcery, learned only enough to realize that full and comprehensive knowledge was impossible. In the first place, a desired effect might be achieved through any number of modes, any of which represented a life-time of study, each deriving its force from a different coercive environment.

The great magicians of Grand Motholam were sufficiently supple that they perceived the limits of human understanding, and spent most of their efforts dealing with practical problems, searching for abstract principles only when all else failed. For this reason, magic retains its distinctly human flavor, even though the activating agents are never human. A casual glance into one of the basic catalogues emphasizes this human orientation; the nomenclature has a quaint and archaic flavor. Looking into (for instance) Chapter Four of Killiclaw's Primer of Practical Magic, Interpersonal Effectuations, one notices, indited in bright purple ink, such terminology as:

Xarfaggio's Physical Malepsy
Arnhoult's Sequestrious Digitalia
Lutar Brassnose's Twelve-fold Bounty
The Spell of Forlorn Encystment
Tinkler's Old-fashioned Froust
Clambard's Rein of Long Nerves
The Green and Purple Postponement of Joy
Panguire's Triumphs of Discomfort
Lugwiler's Dismal Itch
Khulip's Nasal Enhancement
Radl's Pervasion of the Incorrect Chord

A spell in essence corresponds to a code, or set of instructions, inserted into the sensorium of an entity which is able and not unwilling to alter the environment in accordance with the message conveyed by the spell. These entities are not necessarily 'intelligent,' nor even 'sentient,' and their conduct, from the tyro's point of view, is unpredictable, capricious and dangerous.

The most pliable and cooperative of these creatures range from the lowly and frail elementals, through the sandestins. More fractious entities are known by the Temuchin as 'daihak,' which include 'demons' and 'gods.' A magician's power derives from the abilities of the entities he is able to control. Every magician of consequence employs one or more sandestins. A few arch-magicians of Grand Motholam dared to employ the force of the lesser daihaks. To recite or even to list the names of these magicians is to evoke wonder and awe. Their names tingle with power. Some of Grand Motholam's most notable and dramatic were:

Phandaal the Great
Amberlin I
Amberlin II
Dibarcas Maior (who studied under Phandaal)
Arch-Mage Mael Lei Laio (he lived in a palace carved from a single moon-stone)
The Vapurials
The Green and Purple College Zinqzin
The Encyclopaedist Kyrol of Porphyrhyncos
Calanctus the Calm
Llorio the Sorceress

The magicians of the 21st Aeon were, in comparison, a disparate and uncertain group, lacking both grandeur and consistency.

- Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Oct 5, 2017

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

Nakar posted:

Rothfuss tries to have it both ways by having some magical stuff that is known and understood and other stuff that is wild and unpredictable, but there's no particular reason why the people inhabiting his world should be dismissive of fairy tale stuff when naming exists.

The muddled distinction between the ideas of "fantastic" and "mundane" that results from Rothfuss' messy writing also shows up when they run into the draccus later in the book. It's done in kind of a smug way, like "oh, you silly fools, you thought I fought a dragon when I only fought a dracchus, isn't that clever?" No, it's not. The distinction is facile. It's a reptile with four legs that breaths fire. Seems pretty much like a dragon to me. There's only a distinction between the two in order to be smug at the audience because, you see, folklore isn't always true! It's an incredibly banal, trite point delivered with maximum smugness.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Grenrow posted:

The muddled distinction between the ideas of "fantastic" and "mundane" that results from Rothfuss' messy writing also shows up when they run into the draccus later in the book. It's done in kind of a smug way, like "oh, you silly fools, you thought I fought a dragon when I only fought a dracchus, isn't that clever?" No, it's not. The distinction is facile. It's a reptile with four legs that breaths fire. Seems pretty much like a dragon to me. There's only a distinction between the two in order to be smug at the audience because, you see, folklore isn't always true! It's an incredibly banal, trite point delivered with maximum smugness.

Until the second book when it is all 100% true and delivered with maximum smugness.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Just read Rothfuss' "rewrite" of Esio Trot by Roald Dahl and every time I think if it I get blindingly angry. Was this discussed in thread at all?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

quote:

gently caress this book. Don't read it to your kids. That's the short version.

If you want the longer version, settle in. We're going to have a bumpy ride.

Also. There's spoilers here. And cussing. And some indignation. Be warned.

I've always thought of myself as a bit of Roald Dahl fan. I read BFG growing up and loved it. I watched Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and loved it.

But recently, my love dimmed a bit when I read James and the Giant Peach, a book that was a serious boatload of meh. A nickel's worth of story in a dollar-long book.

And don't you DARE say, "Oh it's just a children's book." Or "Kids don't know any better." Or "You can't hold YA fiction to the standards of…"

Stop. Just stop. That's such bullshit that it's an insult to the word 'bullshit.' Kid's books should be just as good as any other books. No. They should be held to a *higher* standard than other literature for the same reason that we take extra care with children's food.

The fact is, what you feed your kids is important, and that includes what they put in their heads as well as what they put in their bellies.

So let's talk about this book: Esio Trot.

In this story, you have Mr. Hopper. He loves two things, the flowers he grew on his balcony, and his downstairs neighbor. Mrs. Silver.

He's terribly lonely and he's terribly shy.

His downstairs neighbor, Mrs. Silver, has a pet tortoise that she adores. The tortoise is named Alfie, he lives on Mrs. Silver's balcony, and Mr. Hoppy is terribly jealous of him.

One day, Mrs. Silver laments to Mr. Hoppy. (They talk while on their balconies. She with her turtle, him tending his garden.) She's had Alfie for eleven years, and he's still tiny. She wishes he would get bigger. "I'd give *anything* to make that happen," she says.

Mr. Hoppy gets all twitterpated hearing this, so he lies to her, telling her he knows a magic spell that will help her tortoise grow. And I quote:

"I beg you to tell me, Mr. Hoppy. I'll be your slave for life!"

When he heard the words your slave for life a shiver of excitement swept through Mr Hoppy.

End quote.

So he gives her some bullshit he makes up, telling her it's a spell he learned from a Bedouin. Then he goes out and buys a hundred tortoises. Then he builds a long grabber arm of the sort you would use if you wanted to, say, steal someone's tortoise off the balcony right below yours.

At this point I thought to myself, "He's not doing what I'm thinking, is he? Then I flipped a couple pages, and told my son that it was bedtime and we'd finish the book tomorrow.

Disappointed, he went to bed. I finished the book.

Here's what happens: Mr. Hoppy spends the next two months slowly replacing Mrs. Silver's pet with progressively larger tortoises.

Mrs. Silver is amazed by this, of course. And out of gratitude, she marries Mr Hoppy.

Then Mr. Hoppy gives away all the tortoises. Including Alfie, Mrs. Silver's pet of 11 years.

Do I really need to explain to anyone that this is hosed up?

Do I feel bad for Mr. Hoppy? This lonely, shy man? Do I empathize with the fact that he loves someone but can't bring himself to tell her? Hell yes. I've *been* that guy. Sure.

But his actions are loving awful here. And their matter-of-factness makes them doubly awful. Hey there lads" it seems to say, "Love a girl? Here's what you can do! Lie to her, trick her, steal from her, make her obligated to you, then you get to be in a relationship!"

And that's not even touching on the subject that Mrs. Silver is shown to be a complete loving idiot, who recites a magic spell three times a day to make her tortoise grow. Then fails to notices when her beloved pet of 11 years is exchanged for a completely different animal, not just once, but several, several times….

Suffice to say the next night when my boy asked to read the rest of the story, I deviated from the original script.

This was made a little more difficult by the fact that the book is heavily illustrated. But even so, I was fairly confident I could do better than Dahl's original "trick her into marrying you" storyline.

In my version, in addition to buying a bunch of tortoises and building a tortoise-grabber, Mr Hoppy also goes to the grocery store and buys a bunch of vegetables. He then spends the rest of the week inventing recipes for tortoises and testing them on his new pets, figuring out which ones are the most delicious to tortoises.

Then, every night, he uses his long-armed tortoise grabber to lift Alfie up to his apartment where he feeds him delicious food. And, as we all know, when you eat more, you get bigger, right?

He discovers that what Alfie likes best is some of the flowers Mr. Hoppy grows on his balcony. The flowers Mr. Hoppy loves.

So Mr. Hoppy uses these flowers from his garden in his recipes. (I described these to my boy in some detail to pad out the story. I am a fantasy author after all.) Mr. Hoppy feeds Alfie every night, and Alfie grows bigger and bigger and bigger…

Finally, Mrs. Silver is overcome with joy and invites Mr Hoppy down to her apartment to show off her lovely tortoise. She thanks Mr. Hoppy for his magic spell, and asks him if he'd like to have tea.

Over tea, Mr. Hoppy says, "Mrs. Silver, I have a confession to make."

"Yes?" she says.

"That spell wasn't really magic," he said. "I just made it up."

"Really?" Mrs. Silver said.

"Yes," Mr. Hoppy said. "I've been feeding Alfie special recipes every night so he would grow bigger."

"Oh Mr. Hoppy," Mrs. Silver said. "I already knew that. But I'm so glad you told me yourself."

"You knew?" he said.

"You silly man," she said. "The balcony is right outside two huge windows, just like yours is. How could I not see you grabbing him every night?"

"Ahhh." Mr. Hoppy said, feeling rather embarrassed. He'd thought he was being pretty clever. "You're right of course. I did. You caught me. But I did it because I love you. I knew Alfie was really important to you, and I wanted you to be happy."

"I know that too," Mrs. Silver said. "I'm so glad you're finally brave enough to tell me!"

Then they get married.

I would have preferred for them to go out to coffee and have a date instead, but there was a picture of them getting married in the book, so I had to leave that part in.

In my version, they also worked together to publish a book of recipes for tortoises, and used that money to start a tortoise park, where Mr. Hoppy put his 100 now surplus-to-requirements pets.

But apparently I was pushing my luck there. When I told him the last part, Oot gave me a look. "Did you make that up?" he asked.

"Ahh," I said. "You're right of course. I did. You caught me. But I did it because I love you.

I feel a published author should be able to give better criticism than "gently caress this book"

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
He does! "A nickel's worth of story in a dollar-long book".
Now what does that remind me of...

edit: Nevermind, that's about the other one. Still really funny. gently caress, the whole thing is a set of revelations: "(I described these to my boy in some detail to pad out the story. I am a fantasy author after all.)"
Fantasy = padding. You heard it here first, folks.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jun 7, 2016

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I feel a published author should be able to give better criticism than "gently caress this book"

It isn't about criticizing the book near as much as it is Rothfuss smugly saying how he's a better author and wanting pats on the back for being a dad.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Roald Dahl was an extraordinarily lovely human being but Rothfuss is ordinarily lovely and that may be worse.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I haven't read the book, and it sounds pretty lovely, but it's also incredibly funny to me that a grown man had his feelings so hurt by a children's book that he had to not only write a fan-fiction alternate ending, but also publish it online.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
LET’S READ THE KINGKILLER CHRONICLE CRITICALLY

Part 27: “Perhaps my head was so full of Denna that there was little room left for anything else.”

Let’s power on through, shall we?

In Chapter 67, “A Matter of Hands”, Kvothe returns to the Artificery to see Kilvin. The fire mattered even less than in the previous chapter, as Kilvin notes how no one was killed and nothing important was lost. As the saying goes, Chan Vaen edan Kote. They talk about how each used magic to handle the fire. It’s again an impressively dull dialogue for a conversation about magic and destruction. Kilvin transferred the fire through magic, but doesn’t know how to control it like Elodin does. Rothfuss brings back the motif of “Naming” being just a fairy-tale, which makes no sense here, as Kvothe has already witnessed naming in action. It’s a pretty obvious case of poor editing.

quote:

“There is little mystery in it,” he said. “I was prepared for such an accident and had a small vial of the reagent in my office. I used it as a link and drew heat from the spill. The reagent grew too cold to boil and the remaining fog burned away. The lion’s share of the reagent drained down the grates while Jaxim and the others scattered lime and sand to control what was left.”

“You can’t be serious,” I said. “It was a furnace in here. You couldn’t have moved that many thaums of heat. Where would you have put it?”

“I had an empty heat-eater ready for just such an emergency. Fire is the simplest of troubles I have prepared for.”

I waved his explanation aside. “Even so, there’s no way. It must have been…” I tried to calculate how much heat he would have had to move, but stalled out, not knowing where to begin.

“I estimate eight hundred fifty million thaums,” Kilvin said. “Though we must check the trap for a more accurate number.”

I was speechless. “But…how?”

“Quickly,” he made a significant gesture with his bandaged hands, “but not easily.”

In Chapter 68, “The Ever-Changing Wind”, Kvothe is once again worrying about the money, especially now that he is injured and without any more clothes.

There is one interesting bit where Rothfuss tries to reach for poetic language, or the edition of the book is poorly transcribed:

quote:

I trudged through the next day barefoot, cloakless, and thinking grim thoughts about my life. The novelty of playing hero faded quickly in light of my situation. I had one ragged suit of clothes. My flash burns were minor but incessantly painful. I had no money to buy painkillers or new clothes. I chewed bitter willow bark and bitter was my mood.

This is one of Rothfuss’s occasional stabs at trying to elevate the language, like that baffling bit of narration at the end of Chapter 34:

quote:

And that is how Kvothe spent his last night before he came to the University, with his cloak as both his blanket and his bed. As he lay down, behind him was a circle of fire, and before him lay shadow like a mantle, gathered. His eyes were open, that much is certain, but who among us can say they know what he was seeing?

Look behind him instead, to the circle of light that the fire has made, and leave Kvothe to himself for now. Everyone deserves a moment or two alone when they desire it. And if by chance there were tears, let us forgive him. He was just a child, after all, and had yet to learn what sorrow really was.

This read-through obviously cuts out a lot off the material, so read this for a more complete Kingkiller experience:

quote:

My poverty hung around my neck like a heavy stone. Never before had I been more aware of the difference between myself and the other students. Everyone attending the University had a safety net to fall back on. Sim’s parents were Aturan nobility. Wil came from a wealthy merchant family in the Shald. If things got rough for them, they could borrow against their families’ credit or write a letter home.

I, on the other hand, couldn’t afford shoes. I only owned one shirt. How could I hope to stay in the University for the years it would take me to become a full arcanist? How could I hope to advance in the ranks without access to the Archives?

By noon, I had worked myself into such a grim mood that I snapped at Sim during lunch and we bickered like an old married couple. Wilem offered no opinion, keeping his eyes carefully on his food. Finally, in a blatant attempt to dispel my foul mood they invited me to go see Three Pennies for Wishing across the river tomorrow evening. I agreed to go, as I’d heard the players were doing Feltemi’s original and not one of the expurgated versions. It was well suited to my mood, full of dark humor, tragedy, and betrayal.

After lunch I found Kilvin had already sold half my emitters. Since they were going to be the last blue emitters made for some time, the price was high, and my share was slightly over a talent and a half. I expected Kilvin might have padded the price a little, which rankled my pride a bit, but I was in no position to look a gift horse in the mouth.

But even this did nothing to improve my mood. Now I could afford shoes and a secondhand cloak. If I worked like a dog for the remainder of the term I might be able to earn enough to eke out my interest to Devi and tuition as well. The thought brought me no joy. More than ever I was aware how tenuous my situation was. I was a hairsbreadth away from disaster.

My mood spiraled downward and I skipped Advanced Sympathy in favor of going over the river to Imre. The thought of seeing Denna was the only thing that had the potential to raise my spirits a little. I still needed to explain to her why I’d missed our lunch date.

On my way to the Eolian I bought a pair of low boots, good for walking and warm enough for the winter months ahead. It nearly emptied my purse again. I sullenly counted my money as I left the cobbler’s shop: three jots and a drab. I’d had more money living on the streets of Tarbean…

In the Eolian, Kvothe meets with Fela. The dialogue is exceptionally terrible. Fela is sad that she was in the role of a damsel in distress, but Kvothe assures her that she could have gotten out by herself. In fact, the chapter is mainly about all the incidental women in Kvothe’s life. He realises that the bone-tar was washed through the University’s sewer system, which means that it could have endangered Auri, his moon-fey. He brings Mola, the student who stitched his wounds after his flogging, to see if she is all-right.

Two of these three character dynamics are terribly written, while Mola is simply too inoffensive to be bad.

quote:

She looked down, blinking. “I knew I was going to die. I really knew it. But I just stood there like…like some scared rabbit.” She looked up, blinking away tears and her smile burst out again, dazzling as ever. ”Then you were there, running through the fire. It was the most amazing thing I’ve ever seen. It was like…have you ever seen Daeonica?”

I nodded and smiled.

“It was like watching Tarsus bursting out of hell. You came through the fire and I knew everything was going to be alright.” She took a half step toward me and rested her hand on my arm. I could feel the warmth of it through my shirt. “I was going to die there—” she broke off, embarrassed. “I’m just repeating myself now.”

I shook my head. “That’s not true. I saw you. You were looking for a way out.”

“No. I was just standing there. Like one of those silly girls in those stories my mother used to read me. I always hated them. I used to ask, ‘Why doesn’t she push the witch out the window? Why doesn’t she poison the ogre’s food?’” Fela was looking down at her feet now, her hair falling to hide her face. Her voice grew softer and softer until it was barely louder than a sigh. “‘Why does she just sit there waiting to be saved? Why doesn’t she save herself?’”

I lay my hand on top of hers in what I hoped was a comforting way. When I did, I noticed something. Her hand wasn’t the delicate, fragile thing I had expected. It was strong and calloused, a sculptor’s hand that knew hard hours of work with hammer and chisel.

“This isn’t a maiden’s hand,” I said.

[...]

I flushed with embarrassment as I realized what I’d said, but pushed ahead. “This isn’t the hand of some swooning princess who sits tatting lace and waiting for some prince to save her. This is the hand of a woman who would climb a rope of her own hair to freedom, or kill a captor ogre in his sleep.” I looked into her eyes. “And this is the hand of a woman who would have made it through the fire on her own if I hadn’t been there. Singed perhaps, but safe.”

quote:

Mola joined me on the roof. She still wore her dark uniform from the Medica, but had added a grey cloak from her room. I took a roundabout path so we could stay on the safer sections of Mains. It was a cloudless night, and there was a sliver of moon to light our way.

“If I didn’t know better,” Mola said as we made our way around a tall brick chimney. “I’d think that you were luring me somewhere quiet for a sinister purpose.”

“What makes you think I’m not?” I asked lightly.

“You don’t seem like the type,” she said. “Besides, you can barely walk. If you tried anything, I’d just push you off the roof.”

“Don’t spare my feelings,” I said with a chuckle. “Even if I weren’t half-crippled, you could still throw me off this roof.”

I stumbled a little on an unseen ridge and nearly fell because my battered body was slow to respond. I sat on a piece of roof slightly higher than the rest and waited for the momentary dizziness to pass.

“Are you alright?” Mola asked.

“Probably not.” I pushed myself to my feet. “It’s just over this next roof,” I said. “It might be best if you stood back a ways and stayed quiet. Just in case.”

quote:

Kneeling, I opened my lute case and brought out a small bundle. “I’ve got some tomatoes, beans, and something special.” I held out the small sack I’d spent most of my money on two days ago, before all my troubles had started. “Sea salt.”

Auri took it, and peered inside the small leather sack. “Why this is lovely, Kvothe. What lives in the salt?”

Trace minerals, I thought. Chromium, bassal, malium, iodine…everything your body needs but probably can’t get from apples and bread and whatever you manage to scrounge up when I can’t find you.

“The dreams of fish,” I said. “And sailor’s songs.”

Auri nodded, satisfied, and sat down, spreading out the small cloth and arranging her food with the same care as always. I watched her as she began to eat, dipping a green bean into the salt before taking a bite. She didn’t seem hurt, but it was hard to tell by the pale moonlight. I needed to be sure. “Are you okay, Auri?”

She cocked her head at me, curious.

“There was a big fire. A lot of it went down the grates. Did you see it?”

“Holy God, yes,” she said, her eyes wide. “It was all over, and all the shrews and raccoons were running everyway, trying to get out.”

“Did any of it get on you?” I asked. “Did you get burned?”

She shook her head, grinning a child’s sly smile. “Oh no. It couldn’t catch me.”

“Were you close to the fire?” I asked. “Did you breathe any of the smoke?”

“Why would I breathe smoke?” Auri looked at me as if I were simple. “The whole Underthing smells like cat piss now.” She wrinkled her nose. “Except by Downing and in the Belows.”

One should hesitate from reading too much into the author’s intentions, but one can read in the first of these Rothfuss’s realization that his supposedly subversive epic still indulges in the cliché of damsel-in-distress. It almost seems that he wants to present a progressive story while still keeping Kvothe as the most important and most exceptional person ever. Thus we get what amounts to a cringing apology for daring to victimize a woman who we are assured is actually strong and independent and no helpless princess. It’s a classic case of having your cake and eating it too.

Some people are probably already began preparing their denunciations of Rothfuss after reading the above. It’s easy to hate Rothfuss, but it’s even easier not to hate him. The source of things to mock and get mad about is practically inexhaustible, but it also means that it will never lead anywhere. These nerd Two Minutes of Hate can be fun for a while, but eventually it just gets weird. You will all hopefully move past and heal by the end of this.

With Mola there is emphasis on how vulnerable Kvothe. Throughout Name of the Wind you have these assurances that Kvothe is vulnerable, including all those passages about his fiscal worries. There is only one instance that the reader will find believable (Chapter 42, as mentioned before). You have Kvothe pathetically wrap himself in the cloack Fela has given him (after weakly protesting how he doesn’t deserve it). What it really amounts is just another form of self-aggrandizement. The focus on vulnerability is a way of concealing any authentic feeling or insight.

Let’s skip a chapter ahead for a moment. This is Kvothe escaping from a fight he won:

quote:

I would like to say I simply took a step away, knowing that the tall man would be groggy and still half-blind. I’d like to tell you I remained calm and did my best to intimidate them further, or at the very least that I said something dramatic or witty before I left.

But that would not be the truth. The truth was, I ran like a frightened deer. I made it nearly a quarter mile before the darkness and my dazzled vision betrayed me and I ran headlong into a horse tether, crumpling to the ground in a painful heap. Bruised, bleeding, and half-blind, I lay there. Only then did I realize I wasn’t being chased at all.

This intense self-deprecation is just another form of aggrandizement.

Auri is still a terrible character only fit for making twee sing-songy phrases. Kvothe is again supposed to be fifteen years old, but more or less treats Auri like the little sister he never had.

Chapters 60-68 are the nadir of The Name of the Wind, simply by the virtue of how utterly boring they are. Chapter 69, “Wind or Women’s Fancy”, picks up slightly because after an extended dialogue about Denna and Kvothe’s taste in women, there are people trying to kill Kvothe.

But first about Denna! Deoch, the Eolian’s co-owner and Kvothe’s loose acquaintance, has actually known her for two years at least, and his passes at her have turned out unsuccessfully. Denna actually makes herself unreachable on purpose:

quote:

“A man has a great many opportunities to make his way in the world. You’ve found yourself a place at the University, and if you hadn’t you would still have options.” He looked at me with a knowing eye. “What options are available to a young, pretty girl with no family? No dowry? No home?”

He began to hold up fingers. “There’s begging and whoring. Or being some lord’s mistress, which is a different slice of the same loaf. And we know our Denna doesn’t have it in her to be a kept woman or someone’s dox.”

“There’s other work to be had,” I said holding up fingers of my own. “Seamstress, weaver, serving girl…”

Deoch snorted and gave me a disgusted look. “Come now lad, you’re smarter than that. You know what those places are like. And you know that a pretty girl with no family ends up being taken advantage of just as often as a whore, and paid less for her trouble.”

I flushed a bit at his rebuke, more than I would have normally, as I was feeling the wine. It was making my lips and the tips of my fingers a little numb.

Deoch filled our glasses again. “She’s not to be looked down on for moving where the wind blows her. She has to take her opportunities where she finds them. If she gets the chance to travel with some folk who like her singing, or with a merchant who hopes her pretty face will help him sell his wares, who’s to blame her for pulling up stakes and leaving town?

“And if she trades on her charm a bit, I’ll not look down on her because of it. Young gents court her, buy her presents, dresses, jewelry.” He shrugged his broad shoulders. “If she sells those things for money to live, there’s nothing wrong in that. They are gifts freely given, and hers to do with as she pleases.”

Deoch fixed me with a stare. “But what is she to do when some gent gets too familiar? Or gets angry at being denied what he considers bought and paid for? What recourse does she have? No family, no friends, no standing. No choice. None but to give herself over to him, all unwilling….” Deoch’s face was grim. “Or to leave. Leave quickly and find better weather. Is it any surprise then that she is harder to lay hands on than a windblown leaf?”

Now I’m not going to dismiss Rothfuss for writing sexist tripe, because once you get past the immediate shock of the poor writing, the characterisation here is workable. There’s an explanation why Denna remains so distant and unreachable, and it’s decent commentary on gender roles.

I am going to dismiss Rothfuss because this is a 2000+ word conversation about a character which does not involve the character in question. There are at least three 1000+ word conversations between Kvothe and Denna that go nowhere, yet the first insight into her character doesn’t even feature her. It’s awful. Why is Deoch talking about her life and not her? That’s why this is tripe.

After he leaves into the night of Imre, Kvothe is grabbed by two men sent to kill him:

quote:

I was only stunned for a moment, but by the time I had re-gathered my wits, I had a heavy hand clamped over my mouth.

“Alright, cully,” the huge man behind me spoke into my ear. “I’ve got a knife on you. You struggle, I stick you. That’s all there is to it.” I felt a gentle prod against my ribs under my left arm. “Check the finder,” he said to his companion.

A tall shape was all I could see in the dim light of the alley. He bowed his head, looking at his hand. “I can’t tell.”

“Light a match, then. We have to be sure.”

My anxiety began to blossom into full-blown panic. This wasn’t some simple back-alley coshing. They hadn’t even checked my pockets for money. This was something else.

[...]

“You’re an idiot,” the one behind me said. “It’s cleaner this way. Simpler. No confusing descriptions. No names. No worrying about disguises. Follow the needle, find our man, and have done with it.”

The matter-of-fact tone of their voices terrified me. These men were professionals. I realized with sudden certainty that Ambrose had finally taken steps to ensure I would never bother him again.

[...]

My mind raced for a moment, and I did the only thing I could think of: I dropped the half-full bottle of brand. It shattered on the cobblestones and the night air was suddenly filled with the smell of blackberries.

“That’s great,” the tall man hissed. “How about you let him ring a bell while you’re at it?”
The man behind me tightened his grip on my neck and shook me hard, just once. The same way you would do to a naughty puppy. “None of that,” he said, irritated.

I went limp, hoping to lull him, then concentrated and muttered a binding against the man’s thick hand.

“Tough tits,” the man replied. “If you stepped in glass it’s your own drat faaaaaah!” He let out a startled shout as the pool of brand around our feet caught fire.

I took advantage of his momentary distraction and twisted away from him. But I wasn’t quite quick enough. His knife tore a bright line of pain across my ribs as I pulled away and began pelting down the alley.

Kvothe disables the two men by blowing up his magic lamp in a blinding flash of light, which one of them mistakes for magic lightning and which will no doubt add to Kvothe’s legendry. He tries to interrogate them, and finds that they were using a magic contraption to track him with a hair. He uses various tricks to confuse any more attempts to “dowse” him, including sticking hairs onto leaves and scattering them onto the wind. Watching them swirl turns out to be hypnotic, and he’s surprised by Master Elodin, out on one of his nightly excursions.

quote:

“Long ago,” Elodin said conversationally, not taking his eyes from the courtyard below. “When folk spoke differently, this used to be called the Quoyan Hayel. Later they called it the Questioning Hall, and students made a game of writing questions on slips of paper and letting them blow about. Rumor had it you could divine your answer by which way the paper left the square.” He pointed to the roads that left gaps between the grey buildings. “Yes. No. Maybe. Elsewhere. Soon.”

He shrugged. “It was all a mistake though. Bad translation. They thought Quoyan was an early root of quetentan: question. But it isn’t. Quoyan means ‘wind.’ This is rightly named ‘the House of the Wind.’”

I waited a moment to see if he intended to say any more. When nothing was forthcoming I got slowly to my feet. “That’s interesting, Master…” I hesitated, not sure how serious he had been before. “But I should be going.”

Elodin nodded absently and gave a wave that was half farewell, half dismissal. His eyes never left the courtyard below, following the ever-changing wind.

This is foreshadowing for Kvothe learning the Name of the Wind, if you hadn’t guessed. And again it’s another example of terrible structuring: you go from Kvothe’s romantic anxieties to attempted murder to his mentor making foreboding comments. In fact, in the middle of this Kvothe finds a letter from Denna in his room which is inserted in the middle of all this in an appropriately clumsy manner. Turns out that Kvothe missed Denna, again. Back to the matter at hand, since he used magic to commit violence, he can’t get help from the Masters of the University, and he has no proof that Ambrose was behind this. Going to the University to be treated would raise questions and Ambrose would know how close he had gotten.

quote:

It was far too much for me to deal with at the moment, weary, wounded, and still somewhat the worse for drink. Instead I quickly cleaned the shallow cut as best I could using my washbasin. I would have put some stitches in it myself, but I couldn’t get a good angle. It started bleeding again, and I cut off the cleaner pieces of my ruined shirt to fashion a makeshift bandage.

Blood. The men who tried to kill me still had the dowsing compass, and I’d undoubtedly left some of my blood on his knife. Blood would be vastly more effective in a dowsing compass than a simple hair; that meant that even if they didn’t already know where I lived, they might be able to find me despite the precautions I’d taken.

I moved around my room quickly, stuffing everything of value into my travelsack, as I didn’t know when it would be safe to return. Under a stack of papers I found a small folding knife I’d forgotten about, after I’d won it off Sim playing corners. It would be worth next to nothing in a fight, but that was better than nothing at all.

Then I grabbed my lute and cloak and snuck downstairs into the kitchen, where I was lucky enough to find an empty Velegen wine pot with a wide mouth. It was a minor piece of luck, but I was glad for whatever I could get at this point.

I headed east and crossed the river, but didn’t go all the way into Imre proper. Instead I headed south a bit to where a few docks, a seedy inn, and a handful of houses perched on the bank of the wide Omethi River. It was a small port that serviced Imre, too small to have a name of its own.

I stuffed my bloody shirt into the wine pot and made it watertight with a piece of sympathy wax. Then I dropped it in the Omethi River and watched it bob slowly downstream. If they were dowsing for my blood, it would seem like I was heading south, running. Hopefully they’d follow it.

In the next chapter, Kvothe starts investigating the Chandrian.

No, really.

ROTHFUSSIAN ATTRIBUTES

quote:

“Oh you mustn’t go.” Auri turned to Mola, her expression deathly serious. “His voice is like a thunderstorm, and his hands know every secret hidden deep beneath the cool, dark earth.”

I suppose it’s acceptable this time since the speaker is explicitly a halfwit.

And these are quotes from the same scene:

quote:

She looked up at me, her eyes luminous with the beginning of tears. She gave a startled laugh that was half sob. “I…what?”

quote:

Fela smoothed the cloak over my shoulder and looked at me with eyes that only moments before had been luminous with the beginnings of tears.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 19, 2017

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SpacePig posted:

I haven't read the book, and it sounds pretty lovely, but it's also incredibly funny to me that a grown man had his feelings so hurt by a children's book that he had to not only write a fan-fiction alternate ending, but also publish it online.

The book in question is about thirty pages long. It's for early grade schoolers. It's dwarfed even by Dahl's other stories like Matilda or The BFG.

A middle-aged man railing on it with that degree of invective is pathetic to a degree indescribable in non-German speech.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Was that written by Rothfuss? If so the irony is loving incredible and I wish he'd get his third book out so that when it bombs we never have to hear about this overrated fucker again.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The real masterstroke of Kingkiller: it subverts subversion.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Rothfuss actually thinks he's being clever in that little Dahl write up by repeating to his son what he has the character say in the story.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
These latter chapters really pick up when it comes to bullshit. I'm going to have to work extra hard!

Here's a preview for non-readers. Not sure if I'm going to reach it in the next entry:

quote:

He came up to where we stood, his weathered face grim as he squinted at us. “Wat are the tae o’ yeh daen oot here?” he said suspiciously. “Oi taut Oi heard sengen.”

“At twere meh coosin,” I said, making a nod toward Denna. “Shae dae have a loovlie voice far scirlin, dain’t shae?” I held out my hand. “Oi’m greet glad tae meet ye, sar. Y’clep me Kowthe.”

He looked taken aback when he heard me speak, and a good portion of the grim suspicion faded from his expression. “Pleased Oi’m certain, Marster Kowthe,” he said, shaking my hand. “Et’s a rare troit tae meet a fella who speks propper. Grummers round these ports sound loik tae’ve got a mouth fulla wool.”

I laughed. “Moi faether used tae sae: ‘Wool en tae mouth and wool en tae head.’”

He grinned and shook my hand. “Moi name es Skoivan Schiemmelpfenneg.”

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

These latter chapters really pick up when it comes to bullshit. I'm going to have to work extra hard!

Here's a preview for non-readers. Not sure if I'm going to reach it in the next entry:

Even the dwarves from Final Fantasy 9 spoke better than that!

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Ah, the Brian Jacques school of fantasy accents.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

Somebody just read Trainspotting.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

Sometimes I think Rothfuss is actually from some idyllic Truman Show-esque reality where chance pizza delivery men complement him on the board game he made and his awful meta-story disguised as a book review gets a standing ovation from everybody after he delivers the final one-liner. I suppose that in such a world his books really are groundbreaking and hard-edged and all that. The mystifying part is that people in our universe seem to fall in line with his reality, I'm going to assume a lot of people believed the pizza guy thing and it looks like he's mostly getting accolades for that review and his books are wildly successful. I know people are stupid but this is really breaking my suspension of disbelief here.

RODNEY THE RACEHOR
Jan 1, 2016

i hope my friend dahmer has a happy ending
flush it down the shitter

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Xy Hapu posted:

Sometimes I think Rothfuss is actually from some idyllic Truman Show-esque reality where chance pizza delivery men complement him on the board game he made and his awful meta-story disguised as a book review gets a standing ovation from everybody after he delivers the final one-liner. I suppose that in such a world his books really are groundbreaking and hard-edged and all that. The mystifying part is that people in our universe seem to fall in line with his reality, I'm going to assume a lot of people believed the pizza guy thing and it looks like he's mostly getting accolades for that review and his books are wildly successful. I know people are stupid but this is really breaking my suspension of disbelief here.

Truth is stranger than fiction: people actually like the things he does in real life :O

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ChickenWing posted:

Truth is stranger than fiction: people actually like the things he does in real life :O

I'd like to see some of his writing from a period where there's a strong amount of editorial control. He's writing a companion for the Torment game but he has to work in an already constructed setting and universe created by one of the most iconic D&D contributors so he's got a fairly firm framework in which to work and write in addition to having make his ideas work with the main game writers and other companion writers.

Probably one of the reasons he's not writing Doors, every time he submits something for the game he gets it back with loads of edits and comments and just silently rages and stews for days/weeks before fixing it and resubmitting.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

He was Nameless in three parts.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

pentyne posted:

I'd like to see some of his writing from a period where there's a strong amount of editorial control. He's writing a companion for the Torment game but he has to work in an already constructed setting and universe created by one of the most iconic D&D contributors so he's got a fairly firm framework in which to work and write in addition to having make his ideas work with the main game writers and other companion writers.

Probably one of the reasons he's not writing Doors, every time he submits something for the game he gets it back with loads of edits and comments and just silently rages and stews for days/weeks before fixing it and resubmitting.

He's going to write someone like Auri in to Torment and get a bunch of praise for it probably because we live in the same world where gaming news sties like Kotaku are popular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an overdue owl
Feb 26, 2012

hoot

quote:

Lorren looked up at me. “You were caught with live fire among my books,” he said, emotion touching the edges of his voice like a hint of red sunset against the slate-grey clouds.

it's an example of what I've mentioned previously: the similes and metaphors are so broad that they end up occupying the reader's imagination, and thus distract from the fact that they don't make very much sense.

How is a voice like clouds?

ChickenWing posted:

The simile isn't describing his voice, it's describing how the emotion touches his voice.

So it's describing his voice.

I think this is a wonderful thread, BravestOfTheLamps and you've made a lot of really excellent and interesting points. Rothfuss is also a terrible writer, make no mistake about that! I think you might have been jumping the gun a bit here though. The simile here is really overwrought and not very effective, but it does make sense. When he evokes the hint of a sunset against grey clouds I suppose he wants to make the reader think of a subtle tint or a slight cast of colour against an overwhelmingly dark background. The 'emotion' in his voice is subtly effecting his otherwise stoic demeanour. It's clumsy, especially in context, but it does make sense.

• Locked thread