Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

erazure
Oct 23, 2005

help I won too many games as Mercy now I'm stuck playing against people who know how to play good and can only play Mercy or else I get totally destroyed and I/we keep winning and how did I get here, I am not good with FPS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Theta Zero posted:

This is an issue where there's no common ground where everyone would be happy, so it's a matter of picking the lesser of two evils. Having somebody or everyone on a team leave and ruin the experience for everyone else isn't preferable to forcing those same people to suck it up and take one for the team so at least somebody else is enjoying themselves. It's less an empathetic approach and more just picking the optimal method in terms of making the most amount of people happy.

You have to leave a lot of games to get the penalty, anyway. I've left a bunch in the last few days due to being steamrolled/pulled out due to group invites and only now got the warning on my screen. With Blizz being that generous the only people to eveng et the penalty are gonna be serial leavers who ragequit at the drop of the hat.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Verranicus posted:

Some people -really- don't like the leaver penalty.

"Lol, the down voters are the actual problem with the game. Entitled new generation !@#$s that value their own experience over that of other peoples. I guarantee you everyone that downvotes the idea of freedom to leave a game that isnt fun, ya know fun right? That thing games are supposed to be? Anyway, guaranteed the downvotes are from people who literally have no interest in whether or not im having fun.

Sorry but if you think people should stick around when they arent having fun so YOUR experience isnt ruined. You need to find a single player game and stay there, cause someone was not raised to play nice with others.

http://www.parentfurther.com.php53-8.dfw1-2.websitetestlink.com/blog/playing-well-with-others
Hell even I could learn a few things from that URL. ^.^"
Wait, there's a leaver penalty? What is it exactly.

I only leave games I get thrown into. I'm tired of dealing with it and I never leave games I started in so I feel no need for my penance on someone else's behalf, and I don't really care about my stats if it counts as a loss and 0 dmg for whatever hero it forces me to pick before I can quit then so be it. (Also I often leave when anubis starts loading)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I think if you leave a certain number of games you get 75% less exp for a while, or something like that

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Just make a hero that does nothing but fly around and kamikaze kills a single target so we can finally be rid of these widow and mccree complaints once and for all

You could give this ability to D.va, basically with faster ult generation, and you could opt to do a "fast explosion" so that you boost into a McCree or something, leave the mech, McCree dies from explosion in 0.5 secs and you are left in your human form with 1 HP. Explosion would only affect one nearest enemy target so as to not make the bigger explosion obsolete.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Countblanc posted:

I think if you leave a certain number of games you get 75% less exp for a while, or something like that
Oh huh. Does it notify those players about the penalty or warn them before incurring it?

Leaving is dumb and should be penalized though. If you are having a poo poo round maybe you should tough it out and get better. Learn from the experience; actually try to win. Throw poo poo at the wall, mix it up. I'm being serious here if that's not apparent. Tryhard to the bone.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

The idea of leaving if your team sucks is so bizarre to me. Like, the most satisfying and fun thing that can happen in this game is when your team comes together and grinds out an improbable win after being completely dominated for most of the match. My favorite game ever was one time when we suddenly locked things down and team killed the attackers with the payload less then meter to goal on Hollywood and then proceeded to shut them out for 20 agonizing seconds to get the win. I'd never have experienced that if I'd ragequit because we were playing like spazzes up until that point.

Granted, most of the time if your team sucks in the beginning of the match they'll continue to suck for the rest of the match and you'll get steamrolled, but straining mightily to hold back the tide is still more fun than quitting like a bitch.

Baby Babbeh fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jun 7, 2016

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Sanctum posted:

Oh huh. Does it notify those players about the penalty or warn them before incurring it?

Leaving is dumb and should be penalized though. If you are having a poo poo round maybe you should tough it out and get better. Learn from the experience; actually try to win. Throw poo poo at the wall, mix it up. I'm being serious here if that's not apparent. Tryhard to the bone.

It warns you.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
sucking on defense is a lot more fun than sucking on offense, perhaps because defense is just generally more fun anyway. sucking on offense means you have to run into a meatgrinder for 5-10 minutes

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

I take a lovely offense match as license to switch to Mei and troll as hard as I can with ice walls.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

erazure posted:

help I won too many games as Mercy now I'm stuck playing against people who know how to play good and can only play Mercy or else I get totally destroyed and I/we keep winning and how did I get here, I am not good with FPS.

this is the worst part of healer queueing

soldier 76 is a pretty smooth transition from healer queue syndrome though, I feel like.

Countblanc posted:

sucking on defense is a lot more fun than sucking on offense, perhaps because defense is just generally more fun anyway. sucking on offense means you have to run into a meatgrinder for 5-10 minutes

that and defense gets easier the more you suck and the win condition for defense essentially comes down to harassment but offense just gets harder

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Verranicus posted:

It warns you.

Unless you're having connection issues, in which case gently caress you I guess since you're not allowed to rejoin matches, but you still get punished.

I had that happen to me when I was only dropping from matches occasionally and it sucked. But normally it's not much of a problem, yeah.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Elman posted:

Unless you're having connection issues, in which case gently caress you I guess since you're not allowed to rejoin matches, but you still get punished.

I had that happen to me when I was only dropping from matches occasionally and it sucked. But normally it's not much of a problem, yeah.

I mean, that isn't really Blizz doing something wrong. It'd be too easy to just fake disconnect matches you wanted to leave to avoid the penalty.

EDIT: Have some more whinging about 'forced winrate'!

Verranicus fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jun 7, 2016

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Verranicus posted:

I mean, that isn't really Blizz doing something wrong. It'd be too easy to just fake disconnect matches you wanted to leave to avoid the penalty.

I can't think of any other game that both punishes you for leaving and doesn't allow you to rejoin if you drop.

I don't mind too much since it happens rarely for me, but it seems like an obvious oversight.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Verranicus posted:

EDIT: Have some more whinging about 'forced winrate'!

I've recently had the issue where the game softlocked multiple times (a few simultaneously for my entire group) and the game scolded us for forcequitting the game for being a blank black screen.

Also I like catching on to the forced winrate. I feel like I'm smarter than the game because I notice something fishy when my friends who just bought the game and are at level 6-15 and I get paired up against a team of level 50-90 with two level 120+ players.

Although I will admit it's downright murder on my motivation when I'm thrust into a situation where no level of carrying on my part can help because I'm stick with teammates who literally just bought the game against people who play Overwatch over sleeping and eating.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Some Widow who totally ate my lunch credited "that youtube headshot video" and that's so impossibly vague. Anyone know what they're talking about?

Probably the multiple videos which show that hitboxes are completely loving broken to the point where you only have to vaguely aim for the head to score a headshot.

That's right, all those times in killcam when you decided "there's no possible way that was a headshot" it turns out you're probably correct, and they probably hit you in the shoulder, empty air above you, or in Hanzo's case your foot.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Elman posted:

I can't think of any other game that both punishes you for leaving and doesn't allow you to rejoin if you drop.

I don't mind too much since it happens rarely for me, but it seems like an obvious oversight.

You're allowed to rejoin. It just doesn't happen often because you're usually replaced first. Another instance where the needs of 5 are gonna outweigh the needs of 1.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Do you think Zarya's natural hair color is pink?

I bet it is, because heroes never dye.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
"My first impression of Overwatch was "that's it?" "where's the rest of the game?"... You do quick match, but who cares if you win or lose, you miss out on an extra 500 XP if you lose... Other than leveling up, I don't see the point of this game. There's no overall villain you're trying to stop. These Hero's come together to save the world, but from what? There's no depth to this game. No quests, no overall goal, no progression... you do quick match over and over...that's it. Why there's no ranked play from day 1 I don't know. The loot is mostly trash, there's 2 good skins per character (I don't count a different color of the same skin as being "different").

I like the gameplay and characters. The combat and maps is what Blizzard does best (other than over-hyping and milking a game for every penny). To me Overwatch feels like a $15 arcade game, not a full featured $60 video game. Hearthstone has more depth than this game, and it's free. I normally don't complain but I felt compelled to say something this time. Blizzard could have done a much better job with Overwatch."

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20745034970

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
The patch made it so you can't blow yourself up in spawn while waiting for the match to start anymore.

what the gently caress blizzard? what else am I gonna do for the first minute of every game?

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Zorodius posted:

The patch made it so you can't blow yourself up in spawn while waiting for the match to start anymore.

what the gently caress blizzard? what else am I gonna do for the first minute of every game?

Blow up physics objects and try scoring some sweet dunks in KOTH.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Verranicus posted:

"My first impression of Overwatch was "that's it?" "where's the rest of the game?"... You do quick match, but who cares if you win or lose, you miss out on an extra 500 XP if you lose... Other than leveling up, I don't see the point of this game. There's no overall villain you're trying to stop. These Hero's come together to save the world, but from what? There's no depth to this game. No quests, no overall goal, no progression... you do quick match over and over...that's it. Why there's no ranked play from day 1 I don't know. The loot is mostly trash, there's 2 good skins per character (I don't count a different color of the same skin as being "different").

I like the gameplay and characters. The combat and maps is what Blizzard does best (other than over-hyping and milking a game for every penny). To me Overwatch feels like a $15 arcade game, not a full featured $60 video game. Hearthstone has more depth than this game, and it's free. I normally don't complain but I felt compelled to say something this time. Blizzard could have done a much better job with Overwatch."

lol. "I like playing the game but what's the point of playing if I'm not endlessly chasing a carrot on a stick?"

Kehveli
Apr 1, 2009

Push It Like You Push Your Girlfriend

Verranicus posted:

It really is the return of the 90s shooter. gently caress loadouts and unlocks, when I'm up against someone I want to know what he's got right off the bat instead of dying to some bullshit I had no chance to guess he had in his loadout. The greatest fps titles I've ever played were literally just what the guy is complaining about. Be it counter-strike, day of defeat or hldm in the goldsrc days, red orchestra, quake or unreal the best part was always that you jump in, the game is there, the rules are there, get good or don't. No need to grind out to level 25 to get The Good Gun to tide you to level 35 where you get The Additional Grenade Slot which keeps you competetive enough until everyone else is level 60 with More Effective Healthkits.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Aranan posted:

:stat: :wal:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Aranan posted:

No it's the strontium

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
Blizzard doing work. Another hack busted (Autoit), the Triggerbot seems still working tho.
I hope they get wasted, too. The author "chancity" deleted all his posts, this might be a hint

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Verranicus posted:

This is what longterm playing of MMOs does to you

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Mr.PayDay posted:

Blizzard doing work. Another hack busted (Autoit), the Triggerbot seems still working tho.
I hope they get wasted, too. The author "chancity" deleted all his posts, this might be a hint

Somehow I find it hard to believe Blizzard are as good at fighting cheaters as people claim.

I have no doubt the hefty price tag and nasty punishments will keep hackers away, but I'm seeing a lot of people who appear to think Blizzard has hacks figured out and there's no way they're getting around them, even though Valve's been struggling with this problem for years.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

fadam posted:

If they kept Widowmaker's headshot damage the same but neutered the bodyshot damage would you guys be happy? I feel like once they do something to her, McCree (CD on FTH IMO), and Mercy (make resurrection charge slower) the game would be in a really good place with the exception of stupid meme heroes like Mei and D.Va being assy.

No, if she could still get 2-3 headshots off in a row just as fast as she can now you have basically left her unerfed for the best players, reducing the amount of one shot kills you can get in a certain window of time would nerf her for everyone and make it less rewarding to bodyshot.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
A typical Zarya player

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Baby Babbeh posted:

I take a lovely offense match as license to switch to Mei and troll as hard as I can with ice walls.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Elman posted:

Somehow I find it hard to believe Blizzard are as good at fighting cheaters as people claim.

I have no doubt the hefty price tag and nasty punishments will keep hackers away, but I'm seeing a lot of people who appear to think Blizzard has hacks figured out and there's no way they're getting around them, even though Valve's been struggling with this problem for years.

The AA Site skipped OW cheats. If these dudes fear Warden and esp. Blizzards lawyers, Blizz at least is indeed way better at fighting cheats than other devs, right now.
Edit: Valve detected the lmaobox hack. Did you miss all the meltdowns of lost xxxx $ accounts? :cawg:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Zorodius posted:

Game is literally unplayable now wow

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Broken Cog posted:

Wow, that second gif. Is that unique for Mercy's pistol, because that seems pretty egregious.

quote:

These two videos are worth checking out once you're a little more confident in your aim. The first goes over each Hero's hitbox for being headshot by Hanzo, with a little bit of Widowmaker. The second goes over other projectile-based weapons, as well as moving enemies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEXWN_4y7WI
Part Two

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Kehveli posted:

It really is the return of the 90s shooter. gently caress loadouts and unlocks, when I'm up against someone I want to know what he's got right off the bat instead of dying to some bullshit I had no chance to guess he had in his loadout. The greatest fps titles I've ever played were literally just what the guy is complaining about. Be it counter-strike, day of defeat or hldm in the goldsrc days, red orchestra, quake or unreal the best part was always that you jump in, the game is there, the rules are there, get good or don't. No need to grind out to level 25 to get The Good Gun to tide you to level 35 where you get The Additional Grenade Slot which keeps you competetive enough until everyone else is level 60 with More Effective Healthkits.

I agree with this 100% and if I had a PC that could handle running this game I would definitely have gone that route.
Really miss Unreal Tournament LAN parties, but this game satisfies that part of my lizard brain very nicely.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Teach me how to Pharah.

T-T-T-Teach me how to Pharah.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

So far my best results from playing Pharah have been from feathering the hover boost instead of trying to remain at one altitude. People don't catch on to inconsistent dips and climbs if you're also strafing. Keeping an escape hole available for when someone really wants to put you down is also useful because the rocket splash damage leaves much to be desired.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Lady Naga posted:

Teach me how to Pharah.

T-T-T-Teach me how to Pharah.

Someone told me that the rocket does 120dmg if you hit. So 2 hits kill. Be the rear end in a top hat, get into their grill and slay them all. I just got 32 kills and 12k dmg in Gibraltar defense with Pharah. Before I tried to "snipe" with Pharah from far away, but it gave people too much time to dodge. When you are up close they have only one option: to die.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Ihmemies posted:

Someone told me that the rocket does 120dmg if you hit.

I have been instantly killed as Tracer from a direct rocket hit, so there's definitely some damage fall off. But generally yeah, you want to get those direct hits and get them hard and close. Even if you play like a mouthbreather, you'll get an end-game mention just for landing direct hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
She feels like toilet paper; any time I get in peoples' faces I biodegrade and fall into the sewer.