Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Great news! A plane that had been reported missing with three people on board in BC was found, and all three passengers survived in good condition.

http://ift.tt/1YaZRID

That's why you practice forced approaches and always file a flight plan!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Emirates is the only reason the A380 is still being produced apparently, and even that might not be enough: http://www.forbes.com/sites/richardaboulafia/2016/06/06/airbus-a380-the-final-countdown/#4e5c429e61b6

Fun fact: Emirates' systemwide load factor is 76.5%.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The a380s I've been on with Emirates have been 100% full and often forced denied boarding.

It's their 773s into place like Male Maldives that kill the load factor imo.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Emirates halted their A380 operation to/from DFW because they weren't nearly fully enough. It's back to a 777 of some sort now. Qantas is our only A380 operator now.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Basically what I'm saying is that Dallas is a lot like Male when you think about it

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

PT6A posted:

Great news! A plane that had been reported missing with three people on board in BC was found, and all three passengers survived in good condition.

http://ift.tt/1YaZRID

That's why you practice forced approaches and always file a flight plan!

And activate your ELT after you get stuck on a glacier.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

helno posted:

And activate your ELT after you get stuck on a glacier.

Also a good idea! And make sure not to do any nonsense like turning it on and off to save battery power.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CBJSprague24 posted:

Emirates is the only reason the A380 is still being produced apparently, and even that might not be enough: http://www.forbes.com/sites/richardaboulafia/2016/06/06/airbus-a380-the-final-countdown/#4e5c429e61b6

Fun fact: Emirates' systemwide load factor is 76.5%.

According to Wikipedia Emirates has 79 A380s. If they have an average of 540 seats and they were all flying at once they would have about 43 thousand people in the air at once. With the 117 777-300ERs that's another 44 thousand.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

CharlesM posted:

According to Wikipedia Emirates has 79 A380s. If they have an average of 540 seats and they were all flying at once they would have about 43 thousand people in the air at once. With the 117 777-300ERs that's another 44 thousand.

:dogbutton:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

They have another 63 A380s on order :P That is, if that are going to get made.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
By comparison AA, the worlds largest airline, has a total wide body seating capacity of only 37,000.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

KodiakRS posted:

By comparison AA, the worlds largest airline, has a total wide body seating capacity of only 37,000.

To be fair, their narrow-body seating capacity is probably several hundred quadrillion.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Since Emirates is the only airline buying A380's, I wouldn't be surprised if Airbus offered them a substantial discount on their 2013 and 2016 orders to keep the production line open, and I can't imagine that the government owners of Emirates didn't put some kind of clause in those contracts that lets them bail out of the orders if they need to.

The 747-8 is going through a similar order drought, and Boeing has cut the production rate down to .5 aircraft per month (from 1.3 last year) in hopes of keeping the line open long enough for a recovery in the air cargo market to spur more orders for the freighter version.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

azflyboy posted:

Since Emirates is the only airline buying A380's, I wouldn't be surprised if Airbus offered them a substantial discount on their 2013 and 2016 orders to keep the production line open, and I can't imagine that the government owners of Emirates didn't put some kind of clause in those contracts that lets them bail out of the orders if they need to.

The 747-8 is going through a similar order drought, and Boeing has cut the production rate down to .5 aircraft per month (from 1.3 last year) in hopes of keeping the line open long enough for a recovery in the air cargo market to spur more orders for the freighter version.

Emirates is also leaning very hard on Airbus to take the engines from the upcoming A330neo and hang them on the A380, making, you guessed it, the A380neo. Airbus is stuck in a pretty hard spot in this regard; Emirates is by far their biggest customer for the A380, and they are dangling the prospect of ordering a full fleet replacement (and then some) in front of Airbus, so the pressure is on to meet their best customer's demands. At the same time the A380 has been nothing short of a financial disaster for Airbus, who would rather continue trucking along as-is without having to drop another few billion euros on a project that very nearly brought the organisation to its knees a few years back.

As for the 747, I don't know how long Boeing is going to keep the project alive...it wouldn't surprise me if they shut the order book by the end of this year. The freight market has been moribund for years now, and on top of that there is a very large pool of 747-400s being retired (or soon to be retired) from passenger service, which means there is a big pool of likely freighter conversions just waiting for a customer.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrChips posted:

Emirates is also leaning very hard on Airbus to take the engines from the upcoming A330neo and hang them on the A380, making, you guessed it, the A380neo. Airbus is stuck in a pretty hard spot in this regard; Emirates is by far their biggest customer for the A380, and they are dangling the prospect of ordering a full fleet replacement (and then some) in front of Airbus, so the pressure is on to meet their best customer's demands. At the same time the A380 has been nothing short of a financial disaster for Airbus, who would rather continue trucking along as-is without having to drop another few billion euros on a project that very nearly brought the organisation to its knees a few years back.

As for the 747, I don't know how long Boeing is going to keep the project alive...it wouldn't surprise me if they shut the order book by the end of this year. The freight market has been moribund for years now, and on top of that there is a very large pool of 747-400s being retired (or soon to be retired) from passenger service, which means there is a big pool of likely freighter conversions just waiting for a customer.

When are the new air force ones being built? Those might be the last 748s to roll off the line.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

When are the new air force ones being built? Those might be the last 748s to roll off the line.

I think the Air Force is supposed to take delivery of the first airplane in 2018, so Boeing would probably have to build the airplane in 2017 to allow time for the required modifications to get done.

When the order was initially announced, there was a lot of speculation that the USAF placed the order when they did to make sure Boeing would still have a 747 production line running when the aircraft needed to be built.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Well it took awhile, but my verbal offer turned into a written one this week.

CJ2, part 91, full benefits package.

Peace out 135. It's been... Memorable.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Rolo posted:

Well it took awhile, but my verbal offer turned into a written one this week.

CJ2, part 91, full benefits package.

Peace out 135. It's been... Memorable.

Well, you can forget about all that 10/14 hour stuff. I kind of liked flying under pt 135 rules for an outfit that didn't do much outside charter, but the last six months working for a pt 91 outfit has been pretty good (though I just coasted out over the North Atlantic on a 25 day long trip).

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Republic is laying off 160 A&Ps at CMH.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Drive Fly it 'till the wheels wings fall off?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Fly it like a wet rental timed based off a hobbs meter.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

CBJSprague24 posted:

Republic is laying off 160 A&Ps at CMH.

I'm at one of our MX bases right now and apparently our mechanics here are under the impression that they're going to be working on some of rah's 170s. I don't know if that means we'll be flying them or if we are just getting the MX contract. Or maybe our Mechanics are just thinking wishfully.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Airline chat or whatever you guys are talking about is fun. Let's talk helicopter stuff.

Here is my big whale dick hook

Here's a bunch of brave souls standing in some crazy down wash. Pictured is a 4000# concrete block.

I didn't drag it through the trees, over the ground, or on any people so I'll consider it a success. It really makes you test your precision hover skills.

Here some video (not mine). Looks like it's from Kuwait if I had to guess. Just to give you an idea.

https://youtu.be/D8njIbxtoPo

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Bob A Feet posted:

Airline chat or whatever you guys are talking about is fun. Let's talk helicopter stuff.

Here is my big whale dick hook

Here's a bunch of brave souls standing in some crazy down wash. Pictured is a 4000# concrete block.

I didn't drag it through the trees, over the ground, or on any people so I'll consider it a success. It really makes you test your precision hover skills.

Here some video (not mine). Looks like it's from Kuwait if I had to guess. Just to give you an idea.

https://youtu.be/D8njIbxtoPo

Wait, weren't you flying Ospreys?

Do you still play World of Tanks?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Not sure if anybody else posts on or reads Airliners.net's forums, but holy poo poo, did they ruin the site with the redesign they just launched. It went from a functional, though slightly dated website to a white death dumpster fire, and the locals aren't happy.

I don't know how much they shelled out to a web design company for the redo, but the Powers That Be have to be on suicide watch with the backlash.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

How do you get selected to be the rigger that attaches the load to the line? Shortest straw?

gently caress that job, is what I'm saying.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
So when we do this we train a bunch of pilots at once. The rest of us ride in the back and wait our turn. You really just do a small helicopter pattern, come in, pick up the load, fly it in the same pattern, drop in the same spot. Do that over a few times, swap in a new pilot, rinse, repeat. (same instructor remains). It works well for range area training like this.

As far as guys underneath? I have no clue. But they have some balls, thats for sure. It can get gusty. I know at one point the guy in front of me almost tipped the block. We land next to them and brief face to face before we do all this. The understanding being, as soon as its hooked up, they run away. If we start coming down lower than they are comfortable (15ft-ish wheel height), they run away too.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
gently caress THE FEDS

You can remove your mailing address from the publicly viewable FAA Pilot database. Handy in case you don't want the KHOU news team flying to Moore, OK and camping in front of your house after you flat-spin a Cirrus at Houston Hobby airport.

https://amsrvs.registry.faa.gov/amsrvs/AddressRelease.asp

No option for the aircraft registry, though. As far as I know.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Captain Apollo posted:

You can remove your mailing address from the publicly viewable FAA Pilot database. Handy in case you don't want the KHOU news team flying to Moore, OK and camping in front of your house after you flat-spin a Cirrus at Houston Hobby airport.

If you flat-spin a Cirrus at Hobby, you really don't care anymore what the KHOU news team does.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Locator posted:

If you flat-spin a Cirrus at Hobby, you really don't care anymore what the KHOU news team does.

Something something airframe parachute something something.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

MrYenko posted:

Something something airframe parachute something something.

Given the airport, this one was somewhat more in mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsY8D2Gc9AI

Edit, the radio traffic leading up to the crash:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPo5yuLbvco

Sewer Adventure
Aug 25, 2004

The Locator posted:

Given the airport, this one was somewhat more in mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsY8D2Gc9AI

Edit, the radio traffic leading up to the crash:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPo5yuLbvco

Ugh, that sucks. I feel so bad for that controller too. He was harsh on the pilot and now he has to live with it.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Jesus Christ what the gently caress was that controller doing.

EDIT: after watching it when I could pay more attention to it the only thing that really raised my eyebrow was when he told her to turn left heading 30 degrees. Was he telling her to turn to a heading of 030 or just turn 30 to the right so she'd be on a proper downwind for 35?

She was in over her head. It's a shame neither one of them suggested flying to an alternate once that became apparent.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jun 16, 2016

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

EvilJoven posted:

Jesus Christ what the gently caress was that controller doing.

EDIT: after watching it when I could pay more attention to it the only thing that really raised my eyebrow was when he told her to turn left heading 30 degrees. Was he telling her to turn to a heading of 030 or just turn 30 to the right so she'd be on a proper downwind for 35?

She was in over her head. It's a shame neither one of them suggested flying to an alternate once that became apparent.

If she couldn't handle what was going on there, I'd argue that she wasn't really going to handle diverting to an alternate very well. She was definitely in over her head.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

It's such a sad footage to listen to. The HOU approach and tower controllers are usually fantastic, every time I flew there I was impressed by the precise vectoring work they do. But it seems these guys were not used to something so slow and overloaded her. Just by her radio work you can tell she was fairly competent at least with radio work and ATC instructions, but going into a large, busy, unfamiliar airport and then getting overloaded with instructions seemed to have frazzled her. They didn't even have to divert her, just send her on some very long vectors to bring in the faster traffic to let her gather her wits then bringing her in on a long final would have been nice. Instead they kept trying to make her do close in approaches over and over again when she was already nervous. So sad.

Also, it seems some people in the ground heard sputtering?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It seems odd. That that plane wasn't going to get any faster. They kept trying to space with the Southwest flights but it was never going to work with the allowed spacing, so why keep trying and aborting?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
One controller almost started giving out altitudes and headings. Wish he had kept that going.

Wonder how embarrassed she was with her husband and son in the seats next to her.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

hobbesmaster posted:

It seems odd. That that plane wasn't going to get any faster. They kept trying to space with the Southwest flights but it was never going to work with the allowed spacing, so why keep trying and aborting?

Those types of sequences have to be made every day at a lot of busy places. I don't know why it became such a problem in this instance.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

The Ferret King posted:

Those types of sequences have to be made every day at a lot of busy places. I don't know why it became such a problem in this instance.

Monday morning quarter backing this, but she didn't seem to respond to ATC direction as quickly as needed in a high tempo environment like that. Which just led to further vectoring for sequencing. Just way behind the plane and situation, get-there-itits set in and diverting or going away from the airport to regroup and try again was out of the question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
So I used to land 206s all day every day at complicated, busy airports like this. I think a cirrus is faster than 206, is it not? That said, we had a couple of extra tools... an insane amount of drag, I could bring it in over the numbers at 1000 and get down on a long runway like that in the first 3000 feet, no problem. Second off, could fly an approach speed of about ~130 for most of the way and then get off runway quick. (Vapp in most jets is probably 135 average, anyway.) I probably would have been annoyed as gently caress if they kept doing this to me, though. Why not just let me do 360s on a short base and then bring me in when you get a chance...

• Locked thread