Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

toasterwarrior posted:

IIRC, Bretonnian Knights function as leadership hubs for their infantry, so you park a unit or two beside the peasantry and watch these dudes in rags fight to their nearly last because the nobility is watching.

Parking relatively expensive heavy shock cavalry next to weak line-holding infantry units to give them a minor leadership boost isn't really a useful deployment of said cavalry. Usually it comes down to your army leader or a paladin hanging out with the peasantry to keep them in line, but even then they're absolutely garbage at actually killing anything ever because of their poo poo stats, which means they're not going to clear a wall being defended by anything better than other Bretonnian peasants.

In the brief(~60-70 turns) Bret campaign I played I mostly relied on massive autoresolve numbers, which is a stopgap solution at best and reliant on you getting some pretty good luck economically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The Shrine of Sigmar can be built in minor settlements and gives +1 Warrior Priest hero capacity.
...is there a hardcap to this? Because otherwise I'm going to build a shrine in every village and field entire stacks of the guys.

Edit: Who's a good murderkittybird? You are, you are.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jun 7, 2016

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender
I'll throw together a new OP for the original OP to steal (if he's still around, which it doesn't look like) or for creating the new thread.

I've got heaps of general advice from the megathread and I'm up to date on the main thread for things but if anyone has any posts they think should go in it, let me know and I'll get them in there.

I'll throw it up a little later for people to check out and make sure everything is captured, but let me know if I've missed any of the basic items and I'll see if I can't dig through the thread to get more detail about them.

Is the game good?: Yes, but it's a CA game on release. Expect some wonkyness but the core is super solid. It's got the best fights. Giant Spiders vs Tanks? Hell yes.

AI Armies moving more than your armies and still attacking: Ambush stance/You have siege and they don't.
I can't find Ambush stance: You are chaos and don't have it.
Drowning in enemy agents: Get the no aggressive actions agents mod/ work on having good assassin style agents from early on (Witch Hunters for Empire etc).
Recruitment bonuses: They are province wide, so only apply to troops trained in that province (which is bigger than the region!)
Can't build a building: Only the provincial capital can build the max rank buildings. You will need to build certain buildings in there to access all your units. You can get a mod to let all regions go to max rank buildings.
Why can't I assault a fortification?: You don't have a siege weapon built or already in your army. Some monsters which can smash gates don't count for this.
What the hell this quest battle is on the other side of the planet: You can teleport to a quest battle for 5k.
My replays are playing weird/broken: Replays are bugged, the patch should fix it.
AOE magic seems to not work well: Magic damage isn't scaling with unit sizes, so Ultra unit sizes are significantly less impacted by AOE magic than Small unit sizes. No idea if it's intended or not.
Why would I bother with garrisons when I can build armies?: Garrisons don't cost upkeep and so free up cash for your offensive armies. It might save you more money to have a defensive building on a border than an economic one makes you!
How confederations work: Let you boldly go where no Waaaaggh has gone before. You will typically need to be significantly stronger than the clan you are trying to confederate with. It joins both factions into one bigger one. This isn't always as good an idea as it sounds. This also resets garrison sizes in the newly confederated lands. This can be catastrophic!
Why can't I capture some settlements?: Not every race can inhabit every province. Humans and Undead occupy one type while Orcs and Dwarves occupy another.
What's the point of attacking the other type of settlements?: Sacking provinces makes heaps of money and can be just what you need to supercharge your economy and keep those troops earning their pay. Just because you can't live there doesn't mean you can't loot everything shiny from it!
Their provinces have walls and mine don't, what gives?: If it's not the capital of the province then upgrading your Village Garrison to level 2 grants you defensive walls, which can be a literal game-changer. Don't underestimate them!

Basic breakdown of TW combat

Basic breakdown of each Race by unit roster.

Anything else goons?

e: Added suggestions so far

shalcar fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jun 7, 2016

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Replays will never be fixed.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

shalcar posted:

I'll throw together a new OP for the original OP to steal (if he's still around, which it doesn't look like) or for creating the new thread.

I've got heaps of general advice from the megathread and I'm up to date on the main thread for things but if anyone has any posts they think should go in it, let me know and I'll get them in there.

I'll throw it up a little later for people to check out and make sure everything is captured, but let me know if I've missed any of the basic items and I'll see if I can't dig through the thread to get more detail about them.

Is the game good?: Yes, but it's a CA game on release. Expect some wonkyness but the core is super solid. It's got the best fights. Giant Spiders vs Tanks? Hell yes.

AI Armies moving more than your armies and still attacking: Ambush stance/You have siege and they don't.
Drowning in enemy agents: Get the no aggressive actions agents mod/ work on having good assassin style agents from early on (Witch Hunters for Empire etc).
Recruitment bonuses: They are province wide, so only apply to troops trained in that province (which is bigger than the region!)
Can't build a building: Only the provincial capital can build the max rank buildings. You will need to build certain buildings in there to access all your units. You can get a mod to let all regions go to max rank buildings.
Why can't I assault a fortification?: You don't have a siege weapon built or already in your army. Some monsters which can smash gates don't count for this.
What the hell this quest battle is on the other side of the planet: You can teleport to a quest battle for 5k.
My replays are playing weird/broken: Replays are bugged, the patch should fix it.
AOE magic seems to not work well: Magic damage isn't scaling with unit sizes, so Ultra unit sizes are significantly less impacted by AOE magic than Small unit sizes. No idea if it's intended or not.

Anything else goons?

I'd probably add:

1. Defensive garrisons are good and are necessary to free up (expensive) field armies.
2. How confederations work.
3. Sack settlements for money!

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
My chaos campaign taught me to love to sack.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

The Lone Badger posted:

The Shrine of Sigmar can be built in minor settlements and gives +1 Warrior Priest hero capacity.
...is there a hardcap to this? Because otherwise I'm going to build a shrine in every village and field entire stacks of the guys.

Edit: Who's a good murderkittybird? You are, you are.

Nope, no hardcap and that's exactly what I did, though in the beginning it was to deal with all that creeping Chaos corruption. Once I realized it let me recruit more priests I made sure every lord had a personal chaplain or two. I wouldn't start them out in stacks though because at low levels they have crap armor and abilities and die surprisingly quickly.

Dealing with the Dwarf tier 3 barracks after that, which allows Thane recruitment but does not add +1 to Thane capacity, is a real downer. All +1 hero capacity Dwarf buildings are tier 4 and up which is bullshit.

shalcar posted:

:words:

Anything else goons?

Note that tier 2 village garrison buildings add walls, which can be a game changer.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Yeah, right now if you attack a city with enough move points to get back to it after you do that little jump away post-sack, you can sack a town, then occupy it in the same turn, and and the occupy meets zero resistance.

Unfortunately if you plan to raze it it seems to take an extra turn in between, at least sometimes.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
Isn't there already a sack+ occupy option already though?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Panfilo posted:

Sack + Occupy is less loot than straight sacking and then occupying after, though I believe Sack + Occupy merely damages the buildings instead of outright destroying them.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Whew, finally properly finished a campaign, Empire on Hard, after about 115 turns. Hard really seems to be the new Normal, I never really ran into really significant trouble. From the start om I went right after the VCs so I wouldn't have to deal with their poo poo at my back. I just razed every single one of their settlements to the ground and left them for my allies to colonise once the corruption went down to a sane level. At one point the VCs even begged for peace and offered to be my vassal, but that wasn't about to happen. :commissar:

Speaking of allies, I can absolutely second that having a bunch of them is really drat useful for the Empire. I basically made a military alliance with every single adjacent human and dwarven faction, and only ever confederated a single other faction (Stirland). All those guys put together such a good screen to the north that I never even saw any of the big Chaos leaders in person, they all just got quashed long before reaching my borders, with only the occasional Varg/Skaeling stack making it through. Even at the very end I only owned like 12 regions/4 provinces. Karl Franz knows how to delegate. :smug:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

shalcar posted:

How confederations work: Let you boldly go where no Waaaaggh has gone before. You will typically need to be significantly stronger than the clan you are trying to confederate with. It joins both factions into one bigger one. This isn't always as good an idea as it sounds. This also resets garrison sizes in the newly confederated lands. This can be catastrophic!

I'd add that you get -8 public order penalty for a few turns (5?) after confederating, and that you can't confederate anyone else until that goes away. Also that factions are more likely to confederate with you if they're getting beaten up.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Despite loving every other faction, I can't bring myself to give a poo poo about playing dwarfs. I keep starting dwarf campaigns, playing them for a while, and then just losing interest and not bothering to reload the save next time I come back to the game. Their army composition is rock hard and incredibly powerful, it's just that their unit mix and tactics are so one dimensional and boring that I know exactly what I'm using in every army at every stage of the campaign and every upgrade I get is just an improvement to that default mix. Warriors + Quarrelers + Grudge Throwers is fundamentally the same army as Ironbreakers + Thunderers + Cannons/Organ Guns, the stats are just higher and very minor things like where the guns are positioned in your line change vaguely.

I also get unreasonably annoyed when I rout an opponent and can't chase down any of the fleeing units at all.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Perestroika posted:

Hard really seems to be the new Normal

On Normal in Rome 2 the ai wouldn't even bother trying to attack.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Panfilo posted:

You get a solid amount more for just sacking as stated, and I think you actually get lower public order penalties for doing them seperate, as it seems the occupation penalty overwrites the sack penalty when you do them separately.

Also I have no idea about the building because I tend to tear them all down for the extra money and since I tend to want different setups anyway.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Kanos posted:

Since I'm a little bored, here's a legendary lord writeup!

The Empire!

Land of poofy clothing, feathered hats, and versatile army compositions. The Empire chooses between two Lords.

Emperor Karl Franz: The Big Man himself, Karl is an Empire Lord on steroids.
  • Campaign Bonus: Campaign Movement Range +5%, Upkeep -10% for Reiksguard and Greatswords, +2 Leadership(Current Army)
    -Forgettable traits. The movement bonus is good, the upkeep reduction is forgettable since neither of those units tend to get spammed, and the leadership bonus is fluff.
  • Extra Starting Units: Halberdiers, Handgunners, Reiksguard.
    -Halberdiers and Handgunners are of limited use against the Empire opponents you'll be fighting early, but the Reiksguard are worth their weight in gold and will slaughter almost arbitrary amounts of enemies if controlled properly. The Reiksguard alone make this selection great.
  • Unique Skills: Leader of Men(Level 8, Character Aura Size +25%)
    -A pretty good skill for a guy who will spend most of his time supporting the center of a battle line, especially given the middling leadership of most Empire infantry.
  • Magic Items: Reikland Runefang(Level 8), Ghal Maraz(Level 13), Silver Seal(Level 18)
    -Karl is pretty unique in that he has two weapons, which kind of sucks since you can't use them both. It doesn't really matter since Ghal Maraz is a straight upgrade to the Runefang and is pretty incredible(+5 public order everywhere is one of the best bonuses in the game). The Silver Seal makes Karl pretty tanky, so Mr. Franz is pretty well set up.
  • What He's Good At: As stated above, Franz is an Empire Lord on steroids, so his best role is making his army better. Build him for command bonuses like Honest Steel and keep him in the middle of your line. Even when he's not built for combat he's still a beast in combat, especially once he gets Ghal Maraz and Deathclaw.
  • What He's Bad At: Don't expect him to duel tricked out combat lords until he gets Deathclaw. He'll get his rear end kicked.
  • Final Verdict: 4/5 Warhammers. He's a great legendary lord and by far the easier and stronger Empire start, and he only gets better as he levels up and gets more stuff. End game Franz is amazing.

Balthasar Gelt: The Empire's Supreme Patriarch and resident wizard lord.
  • Campaign Bonus:+1 Battle Wizard Capacity, -25% Upkeep on Battle Wizards, +2 Levels on Battle Wizard recruits(local province).
    -Gelt really likes maintaining a coven of nerds and he's really good at it. Battle Wizards are excellent agents so this campaign bonus, while very focused, is great.
  • Extra Starting Units: Greatswords, Outriders, Mortar
    -Outriders are pretty much crap against other Empire factions. Greatswords are a solid infantry unit but not remotely as devastating as Franz's Reiksguard and tend to take tons of chip casualties against missile-heavy Empire enemies early game because they lack shields. The Mortar is probably the star of Gelt's lineup, since it will force the AI to come at you in most cases and allows you to do things like surprise blitz Marienburg in one turn early game.
  • Unique Skills: The entire Lore of Metal, Loremaster: Lore of Metal(Level 8, -10% cooldown on Metal spells).
    -Gelt is the only Empire access to metal spells, except metal spells are kind of forgettable. Final Transmutation is a pretty okay hero sniper, Transmutation of Lead is good to drop on individual elite units to buy time, and Glittering Robe/Plague of Rust are decent filler buffs/debuffs.
  • Magic Items: Cloak of Molten Metal(Level 8), Amulet of Sea Gold(Level 13), Staff of Volans(Level 18)
    -Gelt's item collection, quite frankly, sucks. The Cloak and the Amulet are frankly terribly mediocre defensive items that can be relatively easily surpassed with generic junk with a little bit of luck. The Staff of Volans is a little bit better because it bumps your Battle Wizard capacity and provides a fairly good active skill for the G-Man, but still nothing amazing.
  • What He's Good At: Gelt is pretty okay at supporting an army with buffs and debuffs. Plague of Rust makes a real difference early on when it will take off half or more of an empire unit's armor, Glittering Robe toughens up your fragile troops, and Transmutation of Lead quickly ruins enemy characters and monsters' day. He'll probably need to take a detour to Honest Steel because his limited magic pool won't let him maintain Glittering Robe forever and you really need tougher troops early on.
  • What He's Bad At: He can't fight for poo poo. He's a weak little nerd who will get wedgied by any combat lord in the game and has such awful defensive stats that he's in danger of being ripped to bits by poo poo like bat swarms and flanking dire wolves on a regular basis. Investing heavily into the Lore of Metal means you're missing out on powerful command skills that don't require you to spend magic to maintain, and the nuking spells in the Lore of Metal are horribly bad. He doesn't get a loving mount until Level loving 21, which is basically a war crime for a fragile wizard.
  • Final Verdict: 1/5 Warhammers. Gelt is in the running for the shittiest LL in the entire game. The two pure wizard LLs are bad right now to begin with, but Gelt has a lame lore and bad items to go with his other problems. His amazing voice and his campaign bonus are the only real redeeming features he has in the long run; at least you can use his amazing campaign bonus to recruit wizards that are better than he is.

These own

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Kanos posted:

Despite loving every other faction, I can't bring myself to give a poo poo about playing dwarfs. I keep starting dwarf campaigns, playing them for a while, and then just losing interest and not bothering to reload the save next time I come back to the game. Their army composition is rock hard and incredibly powerful, it's just that their unit mix and tactics are so one dimensional and boring that I know exactly what I'm using in every army at every stage of the campaign and every upgrade I get is just an improvement to that default mix. Warriors + Quarrelers + Grudge Throwers is fundamentally the same army as Ironbreakers + Thunderers + Cannons/Organ Guns, the stats are just higher and very minor things like where the guns are positioned in your line change vaguely.

I also get unreasonably annoyed when I rout an opponent and can't chase down any of the fleeing units at all.

Thunderers and Quarrelers are equivalent. One isn't an upgrade on the other. Although if anything the latter is the better of the two.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

shalcar posted:

Why would I bother with garrisons when I can build armies?: Garrisons don't cost upkeep and so free up cash for your offensive armies. It might save you more money to have a defensive building on a border than an economic one makes you!
Why can't I capture some settlements?: Not every race can inhabit every province. Humans and Undead occupy one type while Orcs and Dwarves occupy another.
What's the point of attacking the other type of settlements?: Sacking provinces makes heaps of money and can be just what you need to supercharge your economy and keep those troops earning their pay. Just because you can't live there doesn't mean you can't loot everything shiny from it!
Their provinces have walls and mine don't, what gives?: If it's not the capital of the province then upgrading your Village Garrison to level 2 grants you defensive walls, which can be a literal game-changer. Don't underestimate them!

Anything else goons?

Which things actually suck and which things own building wise and why you'd build them also which mods are cool and good

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

sassassin posted:

Thunderers and Quarrelers are equivalent. One isn't an upgrade on the other. Although if anything the latter is the better of the two.

Quarrelers are better against unarmoured troops, Thunderers are better against Armour.

Easiest way to show this is to try kill a lord with them. Two units of Thunderers will do the job, Quarrelers you're just wasting your ammo.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Kanos posted:

It's funny because this is almost exactly how they play in the table top too. There's a win to way with Dwarfs and it's basically what you described and nothing else.

Its been interesting to see which problems are directly a result of GW design and total war staying true to that design (Bret lack of cav, necromancers being pointless, empire ranged cav being poo poo, Dwarfs being one dimensional) and which are problems inherent to total war (stupid AI armies and behaviours)

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Am i a bad person for constantly advancing my quarrelers with great weapons until they can use them in melee

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Fans posted:

Quarrelers are better against unarmoured troops, Thunderers are better against Armour.

Easiest way to show this is to try kill a lord with them. Two units of Thunderers will do the job, Quarrelers you're just wasting your ammo.

Anyone who has ever had to fight a battle against Grimgor with just a bulky garrison knows this feeling well. 4 Quarrelers just kiting him around forever futilely unloading volley after volley into the big guy doing absolute poo poo for damage until you finally run out of ammo and he eats your entire garrison for lunch.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

ZenVulgarity posted:

Am i a bad person for constantly advancing my quarrelers with great weapons until they can use them in melee

Why else would you give them giant axes if not to use the giant axes to hit dudes?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
My only really major complaint recently is that the AI will continuously avoid a remotely even fight yet can skirt your armies to attack settlements out of forced march. I didn't notice this problem as the Dwarfs much but holy gently caress every empire faction I fight does the same thing; a full stack sitting in their capital with a numbers advantage from the garrison, so if I siege it's not a good fight for me when they Sally out, or I don't siege and they magically skirt my armies and attack a settlement behind them in the same turn so I have no chance to intercept or really defend. I've tried ambush but they generally just ignore it regardless. It's real loving annoying.

I think the real difference maker was I get tomove in the underway as the Dwarves and often lured the AI to do an underway interception, which forced them to fight me without reinforcements. The empire just gets the loving shaft here in retrospect.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jun 7, 2016

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

sassassin posted:

Thunderers are a flat upgrade to Quarrelers once you start fighting Chaos full time(the nominal "end game" state of every faction except Chaos is "fighting Chaos"), or if you get sucked into a fight against another Dwarf faction for some reason. Quarrelers are way better at winnowing down crap infantry with bad armor, but once your entire line is Ironbreakers you really don't need dudes who can winnow down crap infantry anymore because the blasting charges will do that quite nicely.

Basically, Thunderers and Quarrelers might have similar damage stats/costs but the nature of the other units in the army changing(Longbeards/Ironbreakers are proportionately better at killing light/medium infantry than warriors and Organ Guns are amazing at slaughtering infantry en masse) means that the role that Quarrelers fill becomes less necessary and the role that Thunderers fill becomes more necessary.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Watching someones reactions to Total War for the first time through this game has been hilarious

End of First Steam: "I dunno the game seems kind of micro managy and wonky and not my thing."
Beginning of Second Stream: "Okay so I figured I might give this another shot and see if I do better"
Midway through Third Stream: "Ah poo poo I missed the bus. Eh, I can walk home it's only 45 minutes"
End of Third Steam: "What time is it? ... HOLY CRAP IT'S 3 AM! ... I have work today..."

Also question. Is there ever a reason to not Auto-Resolve when you have a crushing advantage bar-wise. It seems safer than say, dealing with the Vampire Counts Dickwolves.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

quote:

Is there ever a reason to not Auto-Resolve when you have a crushing advantage bar-wise. It seems safer than say, dealing with the Vampire Counts Dickwolves.

Auto-resolve hates big, single-dude units like giants and often wipe them out even if you've got an insane advantage.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I had been going for mostly greedy +growth builds on most of my provinces in earlier play throughs but am starting to learn to love the garrison and econ buildings in v hard

A level one garrison in a settlement with a freshly recruited lord and maybe a couple units will have a good chance to take on most early game armies, and the ai seems to stop bothering to even attack settlements with the level two garrisons.

Similarly, building your home / starting province for straight money lets you buy more poo poo and field more troops early on.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Night10194 posted:

Why else would you give them giant axes if not to use the giant axes to hit dudes?

:yeah: :black101:

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Onmi posted:

Watching someones reactions to Total War for the first time through this game has been hilarious

End of First Steam: "I dunno the game seems kind of micro managy and wonky and not my thing."
Beginning of Second Stream: "Okay so I figured I might give this another shot and see if I do better"
Midway through Third Stream: "Ah poo poo I missed the bus. Eh, I can walk home it's only 45 minutes"
End of Third Steam: "What time is it? ... HOLY CRAP IT'S 3 AM! ... I have work today..."

Also question. Is there ever a reason to not Auto-Resolve when you have a crushing advantage bar-wise. It seems safer than say, dealing with the Vampire Counts Dickwolves.

Do you like your giants?

no? Press auto resolve and watch them die to a stack of like two dudes with toothpicks

I sort of auto resolve them by queueing up the highest speed and deathballing everything right at the two dudes with toothpicks

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Kanos posted:

Thunderers are a flat upgrade to Quarrelers once you start fighting Chaos full time(the nominal "end game" state of every faction except Chaos is "fighting Chaos"), or if you get sucked into a fight against another Dwarf faction for some reason. Quarrelers are way better at winnowing down crap infantry with bad armor, but once your entire line is Ironbreakers you really don't need dudes who can winnow down crap infantry anymore because the blasting charges will do that quite nicely.

Basically, Thunderers and Quarrelers might have similar damage stats/costs but the nature of the other units in the army changing(Longbeards/Ironbreakers are proportionately better at killing light/medium infantry than warriors and Organ Guns are amazing at slaughtering infantry en masse) means that the role that Quarrelers fill becomes less necessary and the role that Thunderers fill becomes more necessary.

You still fight Marauder swarms.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

MadJackMcJack posted:

So in my Empire campaign Brettonia declares war on me for "reasons" and sends an army on Marienburg. An army with 4 infantry, 2 archers, and a huge mass of knights. Against a city with level 2 walls. Poor bastards never stood a chance, the infantry broke before my swordsmen on the walls and the ranged units and towers tore up the rams and then went to work on the knights. I lost roughly 70 men, they lost close to 600.

Which begs the question: when Brettonia are added to the campaign, how the gently caress are they gonna siege assault anything?

You filthy manthings always focus on the wrong problem. How are SKAVEN going to siege!!!!

Seriously, forget Brettonia! Skaven Skaven Skaven!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Kanos posted:

Like that loading screen quote says: innovation is a dangerous thing to the Dwarven mind :science:

Mazz posted:

My only really major complaint recently is that the AI will continuously avoid a remotely even fight yet can skirt your armies to attack settlements out of forced march. I didn't notice this problem as the Dwarfs much but holy gently caress every empire faction I fight does the same thing; a full stack sitting in their capital with a numbers advantage from the garrison, so if I siege it's not a good fight for me when they Sally out, or I don't siege and they magically skirt my armies and attack a settlement behind them in the same turn so I have no chance to intercept or really defend. I've tried ambush but they generally just ignore it regardless. It's real loving annoying.

I think the real difference maker was I move to in the underway as the Dwarves and get the AI to do an underway interception, which forced them to fight me without reinforcements. The empire just gets the loving shaft here in retrospect.

Leave your army in ambush stance while in reinforcement range of the settlement; if they fail the ambush but don't get spotted, they can reinforce the settlement's garrison and you'll generally win the auto-resolve. If they spot you, most of the time they'll just stop dead or try to back up out of range.

But yeah, mods might be your best bet. I like No More AI Chasing myself.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Arbite posted:

People talking about Raise Dead issues: have you tried waiting a turn? Immediately after a big fight I couldn't get anything beyond the default, but next turn I had access to a variety.

Also, any new rumbles about when the FLC could be coming?

That's not it. In my game the number of casualties present is 0 no matter what.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Kanos posted:

Quarrellers are still better at taking out dogs, cavalry, wizards etc. and can mass fire on single targets better due to arcs on their shots as they won't get in each others way. Thunderers have worse range, worse rate of fire and are more finnicky (but stick two units above a gatehouse and laugh).

Quarrellers aren't for taking out infantry good or bad, they're for everything else. "Winnowing down crap infantry" is your own infantry's job as Dwarfs imo.

Both have a place in late armies, but if I had to pick one it'd still be quarrellers (backed up by plenty of hammerers and/or miners with grenades).

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Perestroika posted:

Hard really seems to be the new Normal

I for one am okay with this. As a new TW player I appreciate the baseline difficulty being more accessible so I can play on normal and not Babby's First 4X mode.

shalcar posted:

Good list but could someone specify this? As far as I can tell the enemy has every siege capability that I do?

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jun 7, 2016

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

LGD posted:

Field Trebuchets, and if it's a huge issue they've got options- i.e. add units or do something like making dismounting a Bretonnia-specific mechanical option so their Knights can assault the walls via ladder like regular folks.
What's that you say? Walk? Like a peasant? Me? I demand satisfaction, sir!

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Deified Data posted:

I for one am okay with this. As a new TW player I appreciate the baseline difficulty being more accessible so I can play on normal and not Babby's First 4X mode.

Good list but could someone specify this? As far as I can tell the enemy has every siege capability that I do?

You get a movement penalty if your army includes siege weapons (cannons ect) which the AI generally doesn't.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Hey, thanks. Have another:

Vampire Counts!

Popped wizard collars, goth LARPers, and dead guys as far as the eye can see. The Vampires have two lord choices just like the Empire.

Mannfred von Carstein: Big Bone Daddy of the faction, Mannfred is a souped up Vampire Lord who is also the only spellcaster in the game with two lores available to him.
  • Campaign Bonus: Campaign Movement Range +5%, Upkeep -10% for Grave Guard and Black Knights, Leadership +5 vs Humans(Current Army), +10 Melee Attack for Bats/Wolves(Current Army), Cooldown -10% Invocation of Nehek, Master of the Black Arts(Reusable Power Reserve Boost)
    -Holy Christ. The movement range is standard and the upkeep bonus is on units that don't get spammed for most of the campaign, but his personal army bonuses are loving phenomenal, especially the bats/wolves bonus and Master of the Black Arts. Poor Gelt has to wait until his loving level 18 relic to get a spammable power boost ability.
  • Extra Starting Units: Fell Bats, Crypt Ghouls, Varghulf.
    -Bats are super cheap and Ghouls kind of suck rear end, but who cares, you're here for the Varghulf. Unquestionably the strongest starting unit in the game across all armies, the Varghulf paired with Mannfred can almost singlehandedly destroy entire enemy forces with little effort. Baby the Varghulf and he'll slaughter everything in your way.
  • Unique Skills: Access to both Lore of Death and Vampires while still having a full combat tree, Loremaster of Death/Loremaster of Vampires(10% cooldown reduction to respective schools, level 9)
    -Mannfred has full access to two of the best magic lores in the entire game. That's really enough said.
  • Magic Items: Sword of Unholy Power(Level 8), Armor of Templehof(Level 13)
    -Mannfred only has two magic items because he had to have something he wasn't the best at. Thankfully, both his items are quite good and don't have horrible quests. The Sword of Unholy Power gives him more magic as long as he's in melee, which he will be. The Armor of Templehof is just a decent, simple durability boost across the board.
  • What He's Good At: What isn't he good at? Mannfred can do anything incredibly well. He's the best wizard in the game while also being able to fight dedicated combat lords to a standstill. He can wade through entire armies and come out with more health than he went in with. He gets a loving dragon mount because it would be a shame if Mannfred had a weakness. Spirit Leech enemy generals to death, Fate of Bjuna their elites to death, then roll on in and slaughter everyone with your vampire strength.
  • What He's Bad At: He's amazing at doing so many things that he actually ends up strapped for skill points, so you'll need to choose how to specialize him.
  • Final Verdict: 5/5 Warhammers. Easily the most powerful legendary lord in the game and puts everyone else in his shade just by how amazingly strong he is in every category.

Heinrich Kemmler: The Lichemaster himself, supposedly the strongest Necromancer since Nagash.
  • Campaign Bonus: Raise Dead Cost -15%, Necromancer Upkeep -25%, Recruit Rank +2 for Necromancers(Local Province)
    -A short but rock solid list of traits that are all exceptionally good. Raise Dead is absurdly powerful and Necromancers are amazing agents.
  • Extra Starting Units: Cairn Wraiths, Hexwraiths, Dire Wolves.
    -A very interesting and potentially powerful group of units. Kemmler's mix doesn't provide the point and click slaughterhouse that the Varghulf does, but Cairn Wraiths and Hexwraiths are *extremely* powerful units when managed and supported properly and will easily chump most opposition early on. Dire Wolves are cheap but always nice.
  • Unique Skills: Lore of Vampires, Loremaster of Vampires(10% cooldown reduction, level 9), Master of the Dead(Short Range constant healing aura, level 4)
    -Kemmler, despite being a nerd, has less magical access than Mannfred. Master of the Dead's effect is so tiny and lovely that it might as well not exist.
  • Magic Items: Chaos Tomb Blade(Level 8), Cloak of Mist and Shadows(Level 13), Skull Staff(Level 18)
    -A bad selection. The Tomb Blade provides some mediocre bonuses(oh boy, a 10% reduction to the upkeep of super cheapo skeletons!) and a totally baffling healing aura while Kemmler is engaged in melee, which is basically the last place you ever want him. The Cloak has a kind of neat active defensive buff that provides Strider, but the buff is short and has a super long cooldown and Kemmler is slow, so it ends up sucking rear end. The Skull Staff is a super generic passive stat boost that is totally forgettable(:laffo: +melee attack).
  • What He's Good At: Kemmler is basically just a necromancer lord. The Lore of Vampires is good army support, so he should focus on that if you intend to use him in combat long term. The best use for him is actually to leverage his recruit rank bonus for necromancers and build him for logistics in the bottom tree, specifically for Guile and Glamor/Necrarch so he can sit at home.
  • What He's Bad At: Where do I start? Kemmler, like Gelt, is a squishy little nerd who can't handle being engaged in combat in the slightest; his combat stats are actually even worse than Gelt's, to the point where he is in serious danger of dying if he gets caught by literally anything. He's slow as gently caress and never gets a mount, not even a horse, so he can't actually run away from things that want to kill him. His supposed mastery of necromancy is matched by Mannfred, every generic vampire lord, and every normal necromancer you ever recruit, and none of those options create the gigantic weak point for your entire army that Kemmler does.
  • Final Verdict: 1/5 Warhammers. The other contestant in the "Worst LL in the game" competition next to Gelt, Kemmler is truly awfully designed in the context of his faction and a shining example of why pure wizard LLs are poo poo right now. His only redeeming features are that his campaign bonuses are quite good, his starting army is okay, and recruiting Mannfred is easy as pie. The optimal Kemmler game is one where you conquer East/West Sylvania ASAP, recruit Mannfred to be your real Legendary Lord, and let Kemmler retire in style to be the new headmaster of the Drakenhof Academy for Aspiring Necromancers. If that's your plan, he's pretty good. If you want to use him in battle, my condolences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

NuckmasterJ posted:

You filthy manthings always focus on the wrong problem. How are SKAVEN going to siege!!!!

Seriously, forget Brettonia! Skaven Skaven Skaven!

Is this some sort of joke that I'm not getting? Because I can think of at least 6 ways off the top of my head right now.

• Locked thread