Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

Also I learned that some people wash their hands before they pee and then not on the way out :iiam:

My Chinese (as in born in China, moved here ~7-8 years ago) coworker does this. No idea why, maybe it's somehow normal to do things that way in mainland China. He also washes the dishes he brings for lunch in the bathroom, which for some reason takes like 15 minutes. Is this some method to save money on water usage or something? Maybe household water is expensive in China?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Confetti
Feb 1, 2013

Cowslips Warren posted:

I understand it's for training. I understand it's a nicer way to ask "why did you do that for?" But loving seriously when people are passive aggressively telling you how THEY would do something else.

Today I had a ride-along at work and had a delivery that was due by 9am. Well, the store opens at 730am, so at 7 I swung by, because the manager/opener has to be there early to open, right? My trainer asked me why I was waiting instead of driving the 15 minutes to the next stop, and THEN I could come back to this one. I pointed out that it was 15 minutes east to west, but heading back would put us through the thick rush hour, plus I have to backtrack again further west after. So he hummed a bit and kept asking if I was sure, because HE wouldn't want to have to explain this poo poo to the big boss, why we were wasting time. gently caress it, fine. I did as he said, and figured I would knock out all my west stops first. So I did. And because I didn't speed as he told me to (or run a few yellow lights) when I got back to the first store, it was 9:01. Late order. Now I have to explain to my boss why the order was late, how I could have done it differently, and the trainer wants to ride out again with me to "see if I am making use of my time."

Fucker never is on this side of town and after that, every loving drop he asked me what I thought he would have done instead. This is not how you train people, rear end in a top hat!

Same rear end in a top hat has a weird idea about what is efficient. Example, my tire had a pop in it. Rubber torn but still drivable to get replaced. He insisted we finish the route. Okay, 15 miles max. And then, instead of going to a close Discount Tires, he insisted on going to our main mechanic. 50 miles away. But first I would drop him off at the base, then take the van down, and if it would take more than 30 minutes, to call him, so he could pick me up using another poo poo van, and then I could use the poo poo van for the rest of the day, before picking him up AGAIN to get my van back. Instead of us going to the closest tire store and getting the thing replaced right then, a three hour turnaround was a better idea.

On that note, managers who are loving panicking about how busy it is, asking people to stay late....while 5-6 employees are having a "team meeting" about safety, what to include in the new email newsletter, what font to use, etc. Are we REALLY that busy or do you just want to sit and drink soda for an hour out of sight of customers?

I work for a trucking company and my pet peeve is the tractor dispatcher. The guy is almost always panicking and rushing when there's absolutely no need to. He'll have someone drop a container on the dock and come by after 10 minutes, speed walking and looking inside to see if we're done yet. It's like, dude, it's a 40 ft container. What makes you think we'd be even close to done. It's not like it has to be back at Matson. It's a spot delivery. That can is gonna be sitting in the yard for at least 2 days. Why are you in such a rush to move it 150 ft?!

Other than that, he's a super chill, fun guy to be around.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

"How to" videos on YouTube where they show you how to do something, but do it badly and add some text in the editing saying "lol yeah so we screwed it up this time but after a few tries got great results. Have fun guys!" without then showing how to loving do it properly.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
People who are way late to the Youtube thing and only now want to "make it big" on there. A friend of mine has a great plan that, to counter all the Let's Plays and how to win at games shows, she is going to play video games badly because she sucks at them, and who doesn't like to see someone who is so bad try to do something? Fake Gamer Girl or some poo poo is what she is going with for a name. Trying to explain to her that for every Pewdepie or girl who "makes a million dollars a year showing how to apply makeup" there are millions of others who get poo poo.

Or would the peeve be anyone who thinks they can "make millions" on Twitter and Snapchat and all the other social media because "it can't be that hard!"

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Stoatbringer posted:

"How to" videos on YouTube where they show you how to do something, but do it badly and add some text in the editing saying "lol yeah so we screwed it up this time but after a few tries got great results. Have fun guys!" without then showing how to loving do it properly.

In that vein, I hate the greeting "Hello Youtubers!" It's not necessary, I know I'm using Youtube. And don't tell me what you're going to show me, just show me.

"Hello Youtubers! This is catbuttmuncher75, make sure you like my video and subscribe to my channel, you can see the link below in the absurd amount of annotation. Today I'm going to make my 37th video about how to pick up a tennis ball off the ground. Picking up tennis balls can be difficult when you use your fingers, so I'm going to show you a very effective way. Part of the process will include buying a few items which I will detail at the end of this 17 minute video. Again, make sure you like my video and subscribe to my channel. Next week we'll be looking at a new helpful hint that will make your life much easier, make sure that you like my channel so that you see the video. I also want to thank monkeyasshat1329 for this tip that I'm going to show you. I also want to thank..."

FOREVER! It never stops. Just show me!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Cowslips Warren posted:

People who are way late to the Youtube thing and only now want to "make it big" on there. A friend of mine has a great plan that, to counter all the Let's Plays and how to win at games shows, she is going to play video games badly because she sucks at them, and who doesn't like to see someone who is so bad try to do something? Fake Gamer Girl or some poo poo is what she is going with for a name. Trying to explain to her that for every Pewdepie or girl who "makes a million dollars a year showing how to apply makeup" there are millions of others who get poo poo.

Or would the peeve be anyone who thinks they can "make millions" on Twitter and Snapchat and all the other social media because "it can't be that hard!"

That's not even a USP, since DarkSydePhil exists, and his entire gimmick is he's complete poo poo at video games.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
People who wash and reuse disposable plastic utensils.. My dad will put that poo poo through the dishwasher and reuse them like normal damned utensils for YEARS. Why? The regular metal spoons and knives are right there! What are you doing old man? Is that even safe? It seems like there would be some cancerous reason not to do that.

edit: And for the record, he's not doing it to be conservative or green cause he buys more plastic utensils all the time. :psyduck:

fizzymercury has a new favorite as of 13:20 on Jun 4, 2016

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Stoatbringer posted:

I feel the same with Facebook videos where they show what ingredients to combine, but no quantities.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Stoatbringer posted:

"How To" videos in general drive me nuts. I hate when I Google an answer to the problem, and get a million results on how to fix them, all in video form. Just give me a nice, convenient text document that I can just ctrl + F to get to the relevant bit, not a 20 minute video that I have to skip through to find the thing I need, assuming YouTube doesn't crash or buffer forever.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
DO YOU HAVE A SHOPPER'S CARD?

YES NO

DO YOU NEED A BAG?

YES NO

DO YOU NEED CASH BACK?

YES NO

IS $18.67 THE CORRECT AMOUNT?

NO YES

"wait, poo poo-"

CANCELLING TRANSACTION

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
The terms "cargo-cult", "Poe's law", "Dunning-Kruger effect", basically any word that is coined to describe a certain behavior or whatever that requires someone unfamiliar with the term to look it up to have any clue what you're talking about. The terms themselves are fine but when you shoehorn them into conversations where you know the people you're talking to are likely unfamiliar with them it's just annoying.

Frogisis
Apr 15, 2003

relax brother relax
What really pisses me off in videos of any kind is when people screw up in a way that would be trivial to fix with another take and then don't do another goddamn take. It can be bad in instructional videos but it's especially egregious with monologues of any kind, where some saliva-sucking oaf stutters and fumbles over words or gets pronunciations or facts wrong, but there are cuts anyway, so it's not like they're going for raw, Bill Hicks authenticity, so it's completely baffling why they didn't review their footage and say "Oops, biffed that part, lemme try again." It's an instant "no" to the question of "have I discovered an interesting new person?"

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

I'm also sick of the time wasting bullshit in many videos.

- A video listing Pokemon romhacks started with 1.5 minutes of some idiot trying to be funny and then another minute explaining that Pokemon is popular! He barely said anything about them and couldn't even go from one entry to another without trying to make some stupid comment.
- Another video, by PlayStation access, seemed to have several minutes of bullshit before actually getting to the list and I wound up skipping most of the video before turning it off altogether because the people therein were so annoying. I just looked up difficulty spikes on TV tropes instead lol. You know you're poo poo when TV tropes is a better alternative to you.

By contrast, a video detailing 8 times the hulk was defeated managed to get through them in about 4 minutes although the repetitive use of a theme for each entry got grating it was still a far superior video

EmmyOk posted:

When I worked in retail my biggest pet peeve was when I'd hold out my hand for the customer to give me money and they'd throw it on the counter instead.

I hate physical contact and even I make an effort to place the money in the cashier's hand so I don't know what's wrong with these people.

Frogisis
Apr 15, 2003

relax brother relax
Speaking of retail and hands, I've been told this is a hygiene thing for some people, but I hate it when I hold out my hand for the change and cashiers gingerly place the receipt in my hand, and then the bills, and then make a little ziggurat of coins on top that I have to then disassemble as I sidle awkwardly out of the next customer's way to put the bills in my wallet, the coins and receipt in my pocket (or more likely the receipt in the trash). Much better and faster for everyone when they hand me them separately and one at a time so I can easily use both hands, or better yet tell the cashier I don't need a receipt in the first place.
Christ, I'm going to be handling the money and a million other things that day anyway, you don't have to create some receipt barrier for germs that's already smaller than a US dollar bill. I'll wash my hands when I get home and not lick them while I'm out like an especially vain cat.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
But you see HER gimmick will be because she is a girl! Oh, and she is an asexual girl (half her Facebook posts are pushing for asexual awareness) so that means something, right?

I think I've posted that peeve before. Crapple, when I came out as a lesbian I am so glad myspace was new, and memes weren't huge, because I never went on tangents about how no one cares about lesbians or shows us in movies and we need to push for awareness! My friend came out to me an asexual last year and ever since then has been talking about it nonstop, how everyone assumes asexuals just need to have sex and feel how good it is and then they'll love it, and how can they be married without sex, and....I'm sorry, maybe I don't hang out with people who ask my preference all the time, and I understand a lot of people are marginalized by society, but I don't think asexuals are being discriminated against or shouted down or treated differently because most people don't loving ask you how often you have sex! But according to her, asexuals are being mistreated and ignored at a horrible rate and people need to wake up about it!

gently caress I feel more worried about her husband, who came out as transgendered, MTF, and how his family is reacting to him, than my friend being all "ooooh asexuals have it so rough everyone assumes everyone is sexually aroused!"

So peeve, not everything is about your sexuality or lack of it! Some of us don't give a poo poo if you're into boys or girls or loving robots or bottles of lotion! I honestly don't care as long as it's between consenting adults!

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Frogisis posted:

What really pisses me off in videos of any kind is when people screw up in a way that would be trivial to fix with another take and then don't do another goddamn take.

Even lazier: when someone is selling/auctioning a valuable item and the photos are useless so they just end their posting with "Sorry about the blurry pics!!" instead of taking the photo again. You're trying to convince me that the $800 item you're trying to sell me is in good condition but you can't be bothered to turn on the lights in your house to photograph it?

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Frogisis posted:

Speaking of retail and hands, I've been told this is a hygiene thing for some people, but I hate it when I hold out my hand for the change and cashiers gingerly place the receipt in my hand, and then the bills, and then make a little ziggurat of coins on top that I have to then disassemble as I sidle awkwardly out of the next customer's way to put the bills in my wallet, the coins and receipt in my pocket (or more likely the receipt in the trash). Much better and faster for everyone when they hand me them separately and one at a time so I can easily use both hands, or better yet tell the cashier I don't need a receipt in the first place.
Christ, I'm going to be handling the money and a million other things that day anyway, you don't have to create some receipt barrier for germs that's already smaller than a US dollar bill. I'll wash my hands when I get home and not lick them while I'm out like an especially vain cat.

Most people slide the tower of coins in to the change purse or section of their purse or wallet devoted to holding loose change while they place the notes and receipt in to the same place. Making it a neat-ish tower saves time and makes this process convenient. Having to hand you the notes and the coins separately so you can fumble your notes in to your wallet before I give you the coins both fucks up my counting (Australian, so dollar and 2 dollar coins are used) and makes the already long process of payment longer.

Edit: And no, the receipt at the bottom isn't so you don't get germs on your hands, is so people actually take the damned thing and know where it is if they need it rather than me having to ask "Did you want the receipt?" It doesn't seem like much but 5 seconds of loving around can be the difference between appearing to be quick and some rear end in a top hat tapping their foot like it's taking forever.

Intoluene has a new favorite as of 00:52 on Jun 5, 2016

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The fact that passwords autoconvert to *s, especially on mobile, where mistyping is more common. Like, I get you want that level of privacy if someone's eyeballs are on you, but otherwise it's just annoying.

I'm pretty sure I've "reset" passwords to the same password a few times because I have no way of knowing if I just mistyped the damned thing before submitting.

Frogisis
Apr 15, 2003

relax brother relax

Intoluene posted:

Most people slide the tower of coins in to the change purse or section of their purse or wallet devoted to holding loose change while they place the notes and receipt in to the same place. Making it a neat-ish tower saves time and makes this process convenient. Having to hand you the notes and the coins separately so you can fumble your notes in to your wallet before I give you the coins both fucks up my counting (Australian, so dollar and 2 dollar coins are used) and makes the already long process of payment longer.

Edit: And no, the receipt at the bottom isn't so you don't get germs on your hands, is so people actually take the damned thing and know where it is if they need it rather than me having to ask "Did you want the receipt?" It doesn't seem like much but 5 seconds of loving around can be the difference between appearing to be quick and some rear end in a top hat tapping their foot like it's taking forever.

Welp, I stand corrected. That explanation makes a lot more sense, anyway, and I'd certainly want them doing that if I had one of those big wallets for a purse or a separate coin purse, that does sound more convenient. Maybe it's an American thing but most of the little men's pocket wallets I've owned were perforated on the bottom in some way such that coins would fall out and clatter on the floor if you ever tried to keep them in there.

Here's one: I hate when you're working on some kind of project, and the person in charge keeps sending it back to you time and again for the most insignificant changes and corrections and then changes back to the original. Bonus points if they really drag their feet or you're on different schedules or in different time zones so you have to wait like a day to be told to capitalize one letter and then another to be told no it should be lowercase after all.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
Current peeve: changing rooms that have a curtain instead of a door. Related peeve: my mother just barging into my change room while I'm using it. Yes, thank you for finding something you think I'd like. I'd appreciate it a lot more, however, if you wouldn't fling back my curtain while I'm in the process of trying other things on, because I'm undressed in here.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

MisterBibs posted:

The fact that passwords autoconvert to *s, especially on mobile, where mistyping is more common. Like, I get you want that level of privacy if someone's eyeballs are on you, but otherwise it's just annoying.

I really love that it's becoming more common for websites/apps to have that checkbox to show your password. No one's looking over my shoulder, let me see what I'm typing!

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

Rabbit Hill posted:

I've been looking for some jewelry on Etsy for the past few days, and it kills me that so many people selling antiques don't bother to spend a few minutes of research before posting their wares. Then they do poo poo like this:

Byzantine AND Victorian AND Art Nouveau AND Art Deco, you don't say??? No, they're earrings made in the 1950s, and the seller has just thrown up a bunch of random artistic periods to get their item included in a bunch of very disparate search results. If I'm looking for, say, genuine Victorian or Victorian-repro earrings, nothing good is going to come of these particular earrings turning up in my results list. I'm going to briefly think those are ugly and you're ignorant, and then move on. (By the way, $420 for those earrings? :allears:)

Art Nouveau and Art Deco are two terms in particular people seem to have no idea what the gently caress they're doing with. You see this all the time:

Look. Words mean things! Get this: Art Nouveau means something, and Art Deco means something else. It's true! Georgian, Regency, Victorian, Edwardian...these all mean things, too! loving spend 30 seconds on wikipedia and learn your history before using them to sell your poo poo! These words should not be slapped onto any old (or new!) thing like this, because now you have revealed you don't know the first thing about what you're selling, or art/antiques/history in general. If you don't know what you're selling, how can I trust that I'm getting what I think I'm getting, and your asking price is legit?

Also, learn to spell medieval.

And this is Etsy's fault -- "vintage" on Etsy means from the 1990s or earlier. 1990s should not be considered vintage, WTF. :corsair:

From awhile ago, but I feel you, though from a crafter's perspective. When I was doing crafts I never bothered with Etsy because it's so easy for your stuff to get buried in the bullshit of stuff that isn't a craft, isn't handmade, or really is just junk that is better suited for Craigslist. Then there's the issue you're bringin up about miscategorization. gently caress it.

Although I appreciate that now they seem to separate vintage from crafts from supplies now at least. I just wish there was a little bit better promotion of the real good stuff by actual human beings carefully vetting through the stuff that gets posted.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Cowslips Warren posted:

But you see HER gimmick will be because she is a girl! Oh, and she is an asexual girl (half her Facebook posts are pushing for asexual awareness) so that means something, right?

Yes, it means that she'd have even less of an edge in an already oversaturated market! Given that her entire apparent shtick is to parody the 'fake gamer girl' thing, and that the sexuality of that is a big part of it, she's gonna get less than nowhere by inherently shutting out that massive core of things unless she's got a good idea of what to replace it with (and 'nothing' won't work, of course).

There's a few ways you could go with that sort of parody that might work--I'd say the best but most difficult I can immediately think of would be to actually have her be really skilled at the game but carry on the character like she's terrible. You could also script out any number of fun takes on why someone would fake being a gamer girl of all things, but that would require writing and thought. I would've thought that it's really not that hard to come up with proper ideas, though, the trouble is making them happen.

That's my peeve for this post: people who don't understand on even a conceptual level how to make a thing funny, but clearly think they do.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Cleretic posted:

Yes, it means that she'd have even less of an edge in an already oversaturated market! Given that her entire apparent shtick is to parody the 'fake gamer girl' thing, and that the sexuality of that is a big part of it, she's gonna get less than nowhere by inherently shutting out that massive core of things unless she's got a good idea of what to replace it with (and 'nothing' won't work, of course).

There's a few ways you could go with that sort of parody that might work--I'd say the best but most difficult I can immediately think of would be to actually have her be really skilled at the game but carry on the character like she's terrible. You could also script out any number of fun takes on why someone would fake being a gamer girl of all things, but that would require writing and thought. I would've thought that it's really not that hard to come up with proper ideas, though, the trouble is making them happen.

That's my peeve for this post: people who don't understand on even a conceptual level how to make a thing funny, but clearly think they do.

It just reminds me of that South Park episode where Canada goes on strike and demands some of that 'Internet money.'

When there are thousands and hundreds of thousands of people on Youtube and Snapchat and all the other media sites all vying for 5 seconds of fame, being a copy isn't going to get you poo poo.

Peeve: being called a cynic when you are a realist. Another of my friends started a Kickstarter because he wanted to do a documentary about how geeks are treated in Japan and Germany. Two countries he has always wanted to travel to. Me trying to point out that trying to raise $75,000 to get people to pay for his loving vacation was not being supportive. Trying to point out that he doesn't have to physically GO there was not being suppotive. And I think in the end he got $20 donated and was very bitter for a long time. Because "some people can raise a million bucks to make a drat peanut butter sandwich" but people won't help him support his dream.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Frogisis posted:

My irritation is that my wallet is in one hand and I've been given coins on top of cash in my other. Thus, I have to spill the change into my hand, put the cash and receipt into the wallet, then transfer the coins to my other hand as I like change in my left pocket.

Back when I used to work retail, I always gave the coins first, then the cash. That way, you avoid the awkward juggling. Almost no-one does this.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

$75,000? can he not just get a job like a normal person and take a week off for a holiday? For like a few thousand?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Strategic Tea posted:

$75,000? can he not just get a job like a normal person and take a week off for a holiday? For like a few thousand?

Oh no he has a job and he travels a lot. He goes to Disneyland every three months (and always complains about the kids there). But he fancies himself the next Quentin Tarantino and for that he NEEDS to videotape his documentary in countries he really wants to go to again. Because there is a need for his take on this poo poo. He actually broke it down for me, and the $75,000 wouldn't even cover most of the production and he'd have to do another Kickstarter to get it in post.

Trying to tell him that the world can't support a million Quentins and most of us will have to be satisfied (and, gasp, settle) for a normal life ended in a fight where he called me a horrible cynic who never can support anything and have no dreams of my own.

New peeve: the website Jezebel no longer uses the word 'rape' in any of their articles or titles of articles because rape is a trigger word. So I got a Facebook update where a man had sex with a 14 year old girl in a protection racket. And it went on to describe the act as sexual intercourse rather than loving rape because if we don't call it rape it is easier to read about?

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

mostlygray posted:

My irritation is that my wallet is in one hand and I've been given coins on top of cash in my other. Thus, I have to spill the change into my hand, put the cash and receipt into the wallet, then transfer the coins to my other hand as I like change in my left pocket.

Back when I used to work retail, I always gave the coins first, then the cash. That way, you avoid the awkward juggling. Almost no-one does this.

You could always just put the cash, coins, and receipt into your pants pocket and sort it out when you get back to your desk at work or at the end of the day when you get home.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Cowslips Warren posted:

New peeve: the website Jezebel no longer uses the word 'rape' in any of their articles or titles of articles because rape is a trigger word. So I got a Facebook update where a man had sex with a 14 year old girl in a protection racket. And it went on to describe the act as sexual intercourse rather than loving rape because if we don't call it rape it is easier to read about?

The article they put up about Brock Turner's mugshot uses it multiple times.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
Current peeve: people who call the Snapchat dog ears filter the 'hoe filter' or similar. It looks cute, sorry people like to have fun when they take selfies, jesus. Why do people have to have loving opinions about every little, goddamned thing?

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Attractive girls all doing a similar thing? It must be bad lets make a bad word for it.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

People who try to push themselves via cult-of-personality bullshit instead of actually producing any worthwhile content. Youtube is TERRIBLE for this. I was linked some kind of competitive Pokemon battling video earlier, and not only did the people have terrible voices, they were unbelievably godawful at the thing they're supposedly known for. The last 20% of the video was ads for their poo poo, too.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

So as I've failed to shut up about lately I'm on holiday in Japan, and places keep recognising me as a tourist and giving me English menus or trying to speak English, and it's like well OK whatever I'm with someone who speaks Japanese but I appreciate that you're trying to help, but today I bought a bento and I was given a spork instead of chopsticks. :argh:

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

AlphaKretin posted:

So as I've failed to shut up about lately I'm on holiday in Japan, and places keep recognising me as a tourist and giving me English menus or trying to speak English, and it's like well OK whatever I'm with someone who speaks Japanese but I appreciate that you're trying to help, but today I bought a bento and I was given a spork instead of chopsticks. :argh:

I lived in the middle of nowhere in Japan and when I took a local flight, the stewardess seemed so stoked to read the weather conditions and flight time in English. She kept looking at me, the only foreigner on the flight, with the biggest smile ever. When she was done I gave her a thumbs up and she looked so goddamned pleased with herself. It was actually pretty adorable. For a lot of these folks, they had to study English as kids, yet probably won't get to use it much, so I guess that was kind of a fun thing for her to do. There were certainly times I felt patronized over there too, but half the time I think people were putting on a show of how considerate they could be for my weird foreigner needs.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
My Japanese teacher in high school said the younger generations especially like to speak English to foreigners because they only have each other to practice with.
Not sure how true that is now, what with the Skypes and the face times these days though.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

Alabaster White posted:

People who try to push themselves via cult-of-personality bullshit instead of actually producing any worthwhile content. Youtube is TERRIBLE for this. I was linked some kind of competitive Pokemon battling video earlier, and not only did the people have terrible voices, they were unbelievably godawful at the thing they're supposedly known for. The last 20% of the video was ads for their poo poo, too.

And since YouTube has no channel blocking feature (as far as I know) you'll probably be seeing videos from this channel for a few days. Removing videos form your history does not seem to help. I've wound up watching most of the annoying videos I've encountered recently on the PS3 YouTube app which has removed the thumbs up and down buttons.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Ytlaya posted:

My Chinese (as in born in China, moved here ~7-8 years ago) coworker does this. No idea why, maybe it's somehow normal to do things that way in mainland China. He also washes the dishes he brings for lunch in the bathroom, which for some reason takes like 15 minutes. Is this some method to save money on water usage or something? Maybe household water is expensive in China?

Sometimes my hands are dirty before I pee so I wash them so as to not touch my dick with gross dirty hands. I mean usually I'd wash them afterwards too but washing beforehand shouldn't be that mindboggling.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

mobby_6kl posted:

Sometimes my hands are dirty before I pee so I wash them so as to not touch my dick with gross dirty hands. I mean usually I'd wash them afterwards too but washing beforehand shouldn't be that mindboggling.

Why "usually"? Just because you don't touch your dick with dirty hands doesn't mean it doesn't get dirty in some way or another on its own throughout the day. Being overly hygienic for your dick but not your hands doesn't make much sense considering only one of them is actually going to be touching your food and other people.

Jizz into Darkness
Oct 28, 2010

Murphy Brownback posted:

Why "usually"? Just because you don't touch your dick with dirty hands doesn't mean it doesn't get dirty in some way or another on its own throughout the day. Being overly hygienic for your dick but not your hands doesn't make much sense considering only one of them is actually going to be touching your food and other people.

Exactly, which is why it's important to keep your dick clean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Murphy Brownback posted:

Fuckin :iceburn: