Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Bloody posted:

cool that typewriters intentionally, actively conflate numbers and letters rather than seek to create unique glyphs for each symbol

typewriters were expensive enough to make that shaving off some pennies and inconveniencing the customer was a good way to sell more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Salt Fish posted:

Step 1 : register a forums account
Step 2 : make 10,000 posts over 16 years
Step 3: hawk keyboards with a removable cord

:smugmrgw:

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

my main keyboard is a Kinesis advantage and today I wanted to test if I'm actually typing "better" all around on it (it definitely helps with rsi anyways)

Kinesis:

other keyboard (Das):

I don't know what does it but typing accurately on the kinesis is so much easier, just love the thing

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

if you like it. use it

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

graph posted:

your nonstop idiot drunkposting is getting tiring

no its not

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

tazjin posted:

my main keyboard is a Kinesis advantage and today I wanted to test if I'm actually typing "better" all around on it (it definitely helps with rsi anyways)

Kinesis:

other keyboard (Das):

I don't know what does it but typing accurately on the kinesis is so much easier, just love the thing

i have bad news for you

they are re-making the kinesis, with real f-keys this time

you'll have to buy it all over again :smithicide:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

https://twitter.com/kinesisergo/status/729768567797731328

:awesome:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i have bad news for you

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!! I held out for like 2 years....

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

BONGHITZ posted:

if you like it. use it

IF U WANT IT?
IT'S 4 SALE OK
IF U NEED 2 ASK
ASK

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Silver Alicorn posted:

IF U WANT IT?
IT'S 4 SALE OK
IF U NEED 2 ASK
ASK

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

evilcat posted:

Why does it have a return lever? Why does it have a feed roll and feed knobs? Why does it have a regular enter key if the return lever also does the enter and they're trying to pretend to be a typewriter? Why does it have 1 and 0 keys if it's pretending to be a typewriter? Are people who want to play at using old tech ironically without actually having to use old tech just that easily confused by the missing 1 and 0?
Also why are they using the really old style of typewriter key as those went obsolete long before typewriters did for good reasons.
The whole thing confuses me, especially the quotes about it. If someone wants to kick the nostalgia factor up or longs for the days of typewriters, they're still pretty cheap and ribbons can still be found for most of them and getting and fixing one up would cost less than buying that keyboard.

It's "qwerky" that's loving why

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Silver Alicorn posted:

IF U WANT IT?
IT'S 4 SALE OK
IF U NEED 2 ASK
ASK

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i have bad news for you

I will happily give these guys more money :unsmith:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

tazjin posted:

I will happily give these guys more money :unsmith:

yeah i can imagine i will want to replace all of my keyboards.. if only because they are also hinting they will fix long-standing firmware bugs to get rid of "sticky" shift

gently caress you interfatron-bbc, you fuckers

copyright 1986 - 2003 by interfatron-bbc, ltd., rev 2.67 03/09/03

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jun 4, 2016

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
hi thread i bought this: http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/mechanical-keyboard/wasd-87-key-doubleshot-pbt-black-slate-mechanical-keyboard.html with the brown switches. as a bay aryan i drove to their fremont office to pick it up. so far it's dank as gently caress

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
bay aryan is my new favorite pejorative. thanks.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

HEY NONG MAN posted:

bay aryan is my new favorite pejorative. thanks.

Jeesis
Mar 4, 2010

I am the second illegitimate son of gawd who resides in hoaven.
Heres my keyboard. R8 H8

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

JewKiller 3000 posted:

hi thread i bought this: http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/mechanical-keyboard/wasd-87-key-doubleshot-pbt-black-slate-mechanical-keyboard.html with the brown switches. as a bay aryan i drove to their fremont office to pick it up. so far it's dank as gently caress

you know there's a kinesis model with linear switches

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jeesis posted:

Heres my keyboard. R8 H8

so what scancodes do the upper keys emit?

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Jeesis posted:

Heres my keyboard. R8 H8

is that thing HID compliant? is it possible to convert the IBM terminal keyboard it's cloning likewise able to mod to be HID compliant?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

JewKiller 3000 posted:

a solid board for sure. I am proud of you. if you find yourself making lots of typos, tink about upgrading to clears.. if not then stay sweet. its one of the best boards money can buy

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

JewKiller 3000 posted:

this was a wise choice indeed. i have the same exact baord exceplt wi/ clears, as my mate echi recommends

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Jeesis posted:

Heres my keyboard. R8 H8

that KB is a big piece of poo poo!!!!!!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Roosevelt posted:

this was a wise choice indeed. i have the same exact baord exceplt wi/ clears, as my mate echi recommends

mate

Jeesis
Mar 4, 2010

I am the second illegitimate son of gawd who resides in hoaven.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

so what scancodes do the upper keys emit?
F13-F24 are recognized as shift+F1-F12

Cannot recall what some of the other non-standard keys are recognized as. I usually use programs to rebind poo poo. Got some media key caps and rebound a bunch of the F keys. I have the blank key next to the Z recognized as the super key or what the gently caress ever you call it.

Unfortunately they do not have the pc122 with a track ball like their modded model M :smith:

minivanmegafun posted:

is that thing HID compliant? is it possible to convert the IBM terminal keyboard it's cloning likewise able to mod to be HID compliant?
Yes there are no drivers or software needed to use it unless you want to rebind keys but even then I assume you could do some manual fuckery. There is even a version with PS/2
http://www.pckeyboard.com/page/product/UB40T56

Roosevelt posted:

that KB is a big piece of poo poo!!!!!!
:qq:

Jeesis fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jun 6, 2016

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

it is quite solidly built

it's also not something I'm using via USB, it's attached to a Symbolics console which is attached to a Symbolics XL400

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

eschaton posted:

it's also not something I'm using via USB, it's attached to a Symbolics console which is attached to a Symbolics XL400
meta
SUPER
HYPER
:pcgaming:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

eschaton posted:

Looks like a piece of poo poo

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

eschaton posted:

I'm the "Rubout" key where control should be

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

you have a working xl400? o_0

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

eschaton posted:

are you this guy, or do you know this guy?

https://www.reddit.com/r/retrobattlestations/comments/464nep/my_current_battle_station_supporting_frantic_work/

and if you actually have working symbolics hardware why the gently caress havent you posted about it before

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

face it. you'll never have a girl do this for you

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

b0red posted:

face it. you'll never have a girl do this for you

MX brown? you could say they

don't really click

:smugdog:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

minivanmegafun posted:

don't really click

:perfect:

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

minivanmegafun posted:

don't really click

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

thinking of replacing my 5-6 year old cmstorm with a pok3r. idk maybe i'll just be stupid af and get a hhkb 2

b0red fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jun 7, 2016

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

minivanmegafun posted:

don't really click

dang.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

minivanmegafun posted: