Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sickening posted:

Outside of having a mana dork, green has gotten the best of nearly everything.

Last time I checked the best countermagic green had was Gutteral Reponse and the best Burn spell was Unyaro Bee Sting.

Resolve this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Anyone have a list for this U/R Flyers deck people are talking about?

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Alris posted:

Anyone have a list for this U/R Flyers deck people are talking about?

I believe it's this

Creatures (16)
4 Dimensional Infiltrator
4 Rattlechains
4 Stratus Dancer
4 Goldnight Castigator

Spells (20)
4 Clash of Wills
4 Fiery Impulse
4 Exquisite Firecraft
4 Fevered Visions
4 Spell Shrivel

Lands (24)
7 Island
9 Mountain
4 Shivan Reef
4 Wandering Fumarole

Sideboard (15)
4 Negate
4 Roast
3 Seismic Rupture
4 Goblin Dark-Dwellers

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

Last time I checked the best countermagic green had was Gutteral Reponse and the best Burn spell was Unyaro Bee Sting.

Resolve this.

gutteral response is a good card and i'm mad that red and green hasn't been allowed to explore the making GBS threads on blue school of counter-rmagic more thoroughly

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
There should be an unplayable in limited rare cycle that just removes planeswalkers.

1W Enchantment: Exile Target Planeswalker until this enchantment leaves the battlefield.
1G Sorcery: Target creature you control does damage equal to it's power to target planeswalker.
1U: We already have Disperse and Negate, blue is fine.
1B Instant: Destroy target planeswalker.
1R Instant: ~ deals 3 damage to target creature or 5 damage to target planeswalker.

Hell if you wanted to make them playable just make them charms where the second ability is Draw a Card.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

There should be overpowered planeswalkers that everyone is mad about and can't easily be removed

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

rabidsquid posted:

There should be overpowered planeswalkers that everyone is mad about and can't easily be removed

Everyone should just SB Devour in Flames

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
I think this was linked yesterday, but here's a highlight of one of the best Modern games I've ever watched: LSV on Blue Tron against some dude on Ad Nauseam:

https://www.twitch.tv/lsv/v/70819608

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

80s James Hetfield posted:

I believe it's this

Creatures (16)
4 Rattlechains
4 Stratus Dancer
4 Goldnight Castigator

Spells (20)
4 Clash of Wills
4 Fiery Impulse
4 Exquisite Firecraft
4 Fevered Visions
4 Spell Shrivel

Lands (24)
7 Island
9 Mountain
4 Shivan Reef
4 Wandering Fumarole

Sideboard (15)
4 Negate
4 Roast
3 Seismic Rupture
4 Goblin Dark-Dwellers

It is this

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Mezzanon posted:

It is this

How is this not running Stormchaser, especially with the number of spells its running?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

80s James Hetfield posted:

I believe it's this

Creatures (16)
4 Rattlechains
4 Stratus Dancer
4 Goldnight Castigator

Spells (20)
4 Clash of Wills
4 Fiery Impulse
4 Exquisite Firecraft
4 Fevered Visions
4 Spell Shrivel

Lands (24)
7 Island
9 Mountain
4 Shivan Reef
4 Wandering Fumarole

Sideboard (15)
4 Negate
4 Roast
3 Seismic Rupture
4 Goblin Dark-Dwellers

Goldnight Castigator actually seems like it would match up pretty well against the WB control deck that runs 4 Grasp of Darkness and 4 Languish as its primary removal.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

lsv currently targeting opponent with Reckless Scholar. He's on 8 cards in library, opponent 11.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Hellsau posted:

I think this was linked yesterday, but here's a highlight of one of the best Modern games I've ever watched: LSV on Blue Tron against some dude on Ad Nauseam:

https://www.twitch.tv/lsv/v/70819608

This loving rules

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Logicblade posted:

1G Sorcery: Target creature you control does damage equal to it's power to target planeswalker.

We already have this it's called "attacking with your creature".

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

suicidesteve posted:

And of course as soon as I say this, I move some stuff from my watch list over and I get a foil Brimaz and possibly a Japanese FBB Swords almost immediately.

All this talk sounds like voodoo to me.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
LSV has Fiery Temper in hand, and a Reckless Scholar in play. It's the end of the opponent's turn, LSV is tapped out. Fiery Temper basically wins the game if the opponent has nothing in hand next turn (they could have Aim High to untap a Sleep Paralyzed 7/7). Should LSV loot? He made a strawpoll, had his Twitch audience vote, and just as he's about to loot....his opponent concedes. It was unreal.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I preferred the LSV drawing game, where he drew cards in MS Paint on stream and had chat guess what they were

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

InterrupterJones posted:

Hey mcmagic, isn't the 6th place UW Aggro list from ATL similar to the one you and your friends play tested and you posted a few hundred pages ago? It looks like a fun list and I'd like to play it. How would you wager are the match ups?

I can't take any credit for that one. We just wanted to play Ojutai and Always watching and he doesn't have either.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

AlternateNu posted:

How is this not running Stormchaser, especially with the number of spells its running?

You're trying to play tempo with the deck, stormchaser is an aggro card. You want to pass your T2 with 2 mana open and depending on what your opponent does either clash the 3 drop they cast, or flash in a 2 drop. Then keep up mana for burn and counters while plinking away.

Goldnight is for closing out the game.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Logicblade posted:

There should be an unplayable in limited rare cycle that just removes planeswalkers.

1W Enchantment: Exile Target Planeswalker until this enchantment leaves the battlefield.
1U: We already have Disperse and Negate, blue is fine.
1B Instant: Destroy target planeswalker.
1R Instant: ~ deals 3 damage to target creature or 5 damage to target planeswalker.

Hell if you wanted to make them playable just make them charms where the second ability is Draw a Card.

Blue obviously would get a Planeswalker Clone.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

DurdleDuck posted:

Are there any Atlanta Goons in here? I just moved to Mableton and am looking for opinions on stores to go to. I'll play everything that's not Vintage (too poor) or Commander (too competitive).

I am looking for a store where I can play on a different day each week if I had to, for fun- I'm competitive, but I'd rather go to a place where people are chill and treat each other like normal human beings, than a store where we're all trying to next level scum each other.

I've been to Raven's Nest a few times and they seemed fine, are there any other good ones? Preferably close to Mableton. Bonus points if there are people that play Epic Card Game.

I've heard good things about Elemental Games in Dallas. The shop in Douglasville gets a decent size standard crowd that isn't full of Grinders. Raven't Nest has a bit of a rep for being a grinder store so be aware of that. Other stores are around just depends on how much you want to drive. Wasteland Gaming is pretty big store in Duluth, but it's also a mega grinder store. But if you want to play Legacy/Vintage it and Raven's Nest are gonna be your two main stores. Note that I'm okay playing with grinders, but it's an important thing to note about the various stores.

Raven't Nest is gonna be the closest "best" store to you though. I have a friend who owns a store in Snellville who does 10 dollar drafts every friday, but thats bit of a drive.

anglachel fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jun 7, 2016

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Has anyone here ever played in Kuala Lumpur? Heading there this week and may want to sneak an eternal Masters draft.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

in the same vein, I'll be in Berlin for the next 10 days. anyone know of any stores that will be doing EMA drafts?

DurdleDuck
Jul 17, 2013

anglachel posted:

I've heard good things about Elemental Games in Dallas. The shop in Douglasville gets a decent size standard crowd that isn't full of Grinders. Raven't Nest has a bit of a rep for being a grinder store so be aware of that. Other stores are around just depends on how much you want to drive. Wasteland Gaming is pretty big store in Duluth, but it's also a mega grinder store. But if you want to play Legacy/Vintage it and Raven's Nest are gonna be your two main stores. Note that I'm okay playing with grinders, but it's an important thing to note about the various stores.

Raven't Nest is gonna be the closest "best" store to you though. I have a friend who owns a store in Snellville who does 10 dollar drafts every friday, but thats bit of a drive.

I appreciate the input! Sounds like I'll hang around the Raven's Nest for a while and see how that goes.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Archenteron posted:

I don't know why you people seem to want cards that reference only planeswalkers and no other types.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Archenteron posted:

"Gain control of target Planeswalker until end of turn."

Or would that be closer to red?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

an_mutt posted:

It literally already exists in Red, yes. Except, analogous to Clever Impersonator, it's far more general and useful.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Jabor posted:

It literally already exists in Red, yes. Except, analogous to Clever Impersonator, it's far more general and useful.

Zealous Conscripts was the best.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Jabor posted:

The one card that did this was Zealous Conscripts and MaRo thinks that card broke color pie (lol)

Also reminder that our year's Legacy GP is this weekend in lovely Ohio, and I have no idea if it's actually being covered on camera or not. Thanks WotC!

e; Possibly the Euro Legacy GP is being covered?

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jun 7, 2016

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Skyl3lazer posted:

The one card that did this was Zealous Conscripts and MaRo thinks that card broke color pie (lol)

MaRo doesn't even know what his color pie even does. :sigh:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Count Bleck posted:

MaRo doesn't even know what his color pie even does. :sigh:

He spins it while making new mechanics decisions. Working as intended.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Skyl3lazer posted:

Also reminder that our year's Legacy GP is this weekend in lovely Ohio, and I have no idea if it's actually being covered on camera or not. Thanks WotC!

e; Possibly the Euro Legacy GP is being covered?

word of seizing and also I assume that his reasoning has to do with stealing enchantments rather than stealing planeswalkers

also lol:
http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/132808444303/red-can-threaten-permanents-unless-you-consider
http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/145035572513/is-red-unable-to-temporarily-steal-enchantments

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
There's a lot of cards that they could print, but won't, because they'd be narrow and dumb.

They could print a "1B destroy target planeswalker" spell, but there's really no reason to do that instead of what they've already been doing, which is giving us a steady stream of Dreadbores, Hero's Downfalls, Ruinous Paths, Banishing Lights, and Anguished Unmakings, cards that are actually useful in the 50-75% of constructed games and 98% of limited games that never involve a planeswalker. And even just having evasive creatures or burn spells exist is already one answer to planeswalkers.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

an_mutt posted:

Yeah, they changed those to red instead of blue.

A Control Magic.

'Exert Influence'

Yergie
Jan 22, 2007
I think the absence of spells like Shock/Bolt/Searing Spear also contributes to the relative strength of planeswalkers right now because there's no way to close the gap against a single high loyalty walker, even after attacking.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Yergie posted:

I think the absence of spells like Shock/Bolt/Searing Spear also contributes to the relative strength of planeswalkers right now because there's no way to close the gap against a single high loyalty walker, even after attacking.

Yeah Oath of Chandra not being able to target planeswalkers was a mistake.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Skyl3lazer posted:

Yeah Oath of Chandra not being able to target planeswalkers was a mistake.

No man, 1R for 3 damage is TOO STRONG.
Limit it to creatures.

Like seriously Lightning Bolt is totally in line with a plane covered in machinery right?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

mcmagic posted:

I can't take any credit for that one. We just wanted to play Ojutai and Always watching and he doesn't have either.

This was me the day Always Watching was spoiled. Same with Archangel of Tithes. I've been playing this on MTGO and at my local ship for over a month to huge success: http://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/398622#paper

The sideboard is really outdated, but you get the point. Probably the deck I'll be taking to the SCG Open in Orlando this month, mostly because I don't care enough about Standard to keep up multiple decks (though I could throw GW Tokens together if I cared to hunt down some Nissas).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

sponsorship hilarity!

• Locked thread