Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

TetsuoTW posted:

On the subject of animal shelters, via Facebook:

DOG KINGDOM

seems ok, this place on the level?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I've been a supporter of Sean and the Sanctuary for years now. They're legit, and in my opinion the best animal shelter on the island. They've been totally hosed over a bunch of times with regards to property for their shelters, though. Following along has been a cautionary tale about getting involved in Taiwanese real estate and/or bureaucracy, good god drat.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Yeah, Sean (the guy that posted that) has been super active in animal shelters and rescue here for years upon years, pretty much as long as I can remember. Couldn't be any more on the level.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Not sure if this is appropriate for this thread, but I have a favor to ask someone living in Taiwan.

I work at a machine shop in the USA, and we have imported parts for our machines many times from a few companies in Taiwan. In the past month I've tried getting in touch with two of them via email but I'm getting no responses.

What I was hoping is someone local could call, just to find out if they are still in business, or if it's just my emails not getting through or something. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Not sure if this is appropriate for this thread, but I have a favor to ask someone living in Taiwan.

I work at a machine shop in the USA, and we have imported parts for our machines many times from a few companies in Taiwan. In the past month I've tried getting in touch with two of them via email but I'm getting no responses.

What I was hoping is someone local could call, just to find out if they are still in business, or if it's just my emails not getting through or something. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Do you know what city they are/were in?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Hi everyone, would value your thoughts on this

Looking to fill 5 days in Taiwan (actually going for 7 but with the first and last days travel/lazy days) with parents in law and grandpa (Club 25-90), going in July (or early August)

So nothing too strenuous, although he is far from housebound and enjoys a decent walk

Looking to be based in Taipei for ease of flying in and out, but I could be convinced to move around the island

Don't want a package tour that'll be 100% in Chinese and try to sell things at us

Ideally avoid hordes of other tourists too, but we aren't looking for 'Real' Taiwan or whatever. It's more of an avoiding excessive queueing with an old man issue.

Admittedly I haven't really looked into this yet, thought I'd ask first and look for myself while responses trickle in, save time.

Any suggestions?

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

YF19pilot posted:

Do you know what city they are/were in?

One is in Taoyuan City, and one is in Taichung City.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

simplefish posted:

Hi everyone, would value your thoughts on this

Looking to fill 5 days in Taiwan (actually going for 7 but with the first and last days travel/lazy days) with parents in law and grandpa (Club 25-90), going in July (or early August)

So nothing too strenuous, although he is far from housebound and enjoys a decent walk

Looking to be based in Taipei for ease of flying in and out, but I could be convinced to move around the island

Don't want a package tour that'll be 100% in Chinese and try to sell things at us

Ideally avoid hordes of other tourists too, but we aren't looking for 'Real' Taiwan or whatever. It's more of an avoiding excessive queueing with an old man issue.

Admittedly I haven't really looked into this yet, thought I'd ask first and look for myself while responses trickle in, save time.

Any suggestions?

Go up the Maokong Gondola. It gives cool views of the city and surrounding valley, at the top is a somewhat touristy area with food stalls and some tea shops but I went in the high season last year with my family and the crowds weren't by any means oppressive.

The Taipei 101 is usually a pretty safe bet, there's a Din Tai Fung at the bottom too which usually lives up to the hype for tourists.

Check out the Chiang Kai Shek Memorial Hall or Sun Yat Sen Memorial Hall. If you've got a bunch of history buffs in your group you could do both and even the Martyrs' Shrine, but one of those is enough for most people.

Near the shrine is the National Palace Museum. In short, it's where the Nationalists put everything they looted liberated preserved from the Forbidden City when they were leaving mainland China. Lots of jade, calligraphy, and other Chinese history pieces are there.

Be sure to check out at least one night market. Shilin is the biggest one for tourists but Raohe and Huaxi are popular too.

Maybe pop into a temple. Mind you they're pretty much all in active use, but Longshan is close to Huaxi night market while Xingtian is fairly downtown.

You can do some light walking/hiking near the Four Beasts Mountains. There are tons of different routes, they range from easy paved roads to fairly strenuous routes where you basically have to use a rope.

If you want to get out of Taipei, check out Keelung and its night market, or maybe Yeliu Geology Park or Jiufen. Jiufen was Miyazaki's inspiration for the setting of Spirited Away.

Of all those, Jiufen is the most likely to be mobbed by tourists, especially on weekends. The Taipei 101 will certainly involve lines, the length of it depends on day and time though and there might be some disabled shortcut or special waiting area if memory serves correctly. None of them though should really feature people aggressively hawking stuff at you.

If you're willing to get farther afield, take the high speed rail to Kaohsiung and maybe someone can offer some advice on what to hit up there. If you're not willing to spring for the HSR tickets then don't bother as the regular train or intracity bus is probably not the best use of your limited time or the most comfortable way for the elderly to travel.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

please let me show you screenshots of all The Ladies swooning over me
My dad wants nuts over monkey mountain in KH. A top Highlight of his trip he said. The hike we did was fairly low key, too.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Pandemonium posted:

My dad wants nuts

Dad gay so what?

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Went nuts. Silly phone posting.

Had a killer rugby day, fellows. Was full on channeling my SBW so hard, but I did have a forward pass in there and some of my teammates were scrubs who couldn't handle a gifted pass with their defender drawn in trying to tackle me. Such is Taiwan rugby.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

USDA Choice posted:

Near the shrine is the National Palace Museum. In short, it's where the Nationalists put everything they looted liberated preserved from the Forbidden City when they were leaving mainland China. Lots of jade, calligraphy, and other Chinese history pieces are there.

You don't have to see the jade cabbage with the grasshopper on it if it doesn't interest you. It's impressive but it's not really worth the wait on a super busy day. I personally think the nut with the boatman carved into it is far more impressive but I think it's in the same room as the cabbage, so always crowded. The first time I went the boatman was part of a special collection and no one really knew it was there. You could get a really good look at it without being ushered along.

Taroko Gorge is a nice day trip from Taipei and the train ride along the coast in the morning is beautiful. You can find guides online who speak English and will drive you through it. It might be a bit out of the way for what you want.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I kinda wish I could convince at least my grandfather to come visit. He'd get a kick out of the National Palace Museum, especially the "miniature" work, like the date pits. Only problem would be eating plain burgers at McDonald's and Burger King everyday because he doesn't like "fancy" foods like fries with ketchup. No way on god's green earth could I get him to try even chicken-rice/turkey-rice.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

YF19pilot posted:

I kinda wish I could convince at least my grandfather to come visit. He'd get a kick out of the National Palace Museum, especially the "miniature" work, like the date pits. Only problem would be eating plain burgers at McDonald's and Burger King everyday because he doesn't like "fancy" foods like fries with ketchup. No way on god's green earth could I get him to try even chicken-rice/turkey-rice.

i'd be pretty pumped (and obese) if i could eat at bravo burger every day

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Hey panda how's June looking for you?

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

I'm in Taipei all June I do believe.

Big 10s rugby tournament this weekend. You fellas can come and play spot the goon on the field! That'd be some good ole Saturday afternoon fun.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

10-a-side rugby? What dark sorcery is this?

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Beats the unholiness of 7s. It's a numbers thing here. Not easy to get fifteen a team, let alone twenty+ for full proper rugby with substitutions. So you cut out all the flankers, one center, and one wing, and you go wild.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Lunch on 17 June sound doable?

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Day drinking?!

(I have to try to get a friend or two to come along. Hope you won't mind. I really want someone in this thread to have to guess who this poster is IRL.)

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Pandemonium posted:

Day drinking?!

(I have to try to get a friend or two to come along. Hope you won't mind. I really want someone in this thread to have to guess who this poster is IRL.)

I meant lunch with no games. If you want to bring a friend that's no problem, but if I'm supposed to pick the goon I've got other things I could do.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Do you think that would be arduous task? I'm talking gut reaction here, not a gd game show format.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Pandemonium posted:

Day drinking?!

...why?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Pandemonium posted:

Do you think that would be arduous task? I'm talking gut reaction here, not a gd game show format.

I mean whatever. It just seems like a weird way to introduce yourself to someone. But sure I'm down.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Based on the avatar one you dropped $$$, you really do think I'm a bumbling autist IRL. Kinda problematic that you all seem to think that's a "bad thing" worthy of mockery, but whatever that's neither here nor there.

Also, one on one is a bit tough. As our Lord Savior Jerry Seinfeld said, why play man on man when you can play zone?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I'm like the one person in the thread who goes to bat for you. I also have no issue with groups of people. The only thing that rubbed me wrong was the idea that I had to guess who you were. Like I'm not going to sit there and grill you and your friend(s) to see who remembers the narrative, but I would otherwise use topics from the thread as ice breakers ("So tell me about getting published in Taiwan"), but I guess that would be off the table until I figured out from facial expressions and body gestures who you were? I don't recall ever accusing you of being "on the spectrum" so I'm not sure what you think I'd be looking for.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Pandemonium posted:

Beats the unholiness of 7s.
That's just because you're not from one of the Good Rugby Countries. Or Fiji. :colbert:

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Oh, you're seriously over thinking it. I was just hoping to get a gut reaction. And again, make it feel less like a date.

And you're right. You've definitely been the chillest poster here. That autist bit wasn't directed at you.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

TetsuoTW posted:

That's just because you're not from one of the Good Rugby Countries. Or Fiji. :colbert:

USA 7s is kinda legit though. Our 15s though...

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Have a place in mind? I need to be in the southern Bei area in the evening.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Pandemonium posted:

USA 7s is kinda legit though. Our 15s though...
I mean honestly US rugby has come a long way and isn't shamefully bad anymore. Actually I just read that Mils Muliaina's playing for San Francisco in Pro Rugby, I might have to see what that's been going like (because apparently it already started?).

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

What is meant by southern bei?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Pandemonium posted:

What is meant by southern bei?

I've got to be in 三峽 by 6:30.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

There's buses from banqiao to sanxia for sure. We could meet up somewhere on the dirty blue line.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Sounds good to me.

lokk
Nov 18, 2005
i'm legit.
I'll be in Taipei Friday, I require drinks with goons. Let me know where to go. I'm also down to meet up with Pandemonium for lunch on Friday...I'm a serial lurker who has no vested interest in the situation. Also if anyone knows a good place to stay near the drinking zone, let me know.

I'm Matt on the Line chat by the way, I never post here.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

lokk posted:

I'll be in Taipei Friday, I require drinks with goons. Let me know where to go. I'm also down to meet up with Pandemonium for lunch on Friday...I'm a serial lurker who has no vested interest in the situation. Also if anyone knows a good place to stay near the drinking zone, let me know.

I'm Matt on the Line chat by the way, I never post here.

seems legit

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

USDA Choice posted:

Go up the Maokong Gondola. It gives cool views of the city and surrounding valley, at the top is a somewhat touristy area with food stalls and some tea shops but I went in the high season last year with my family and the crowds weren't by any means oppressive.

The Taipei 101 is usually a pretty safe bet, there's a Din Tai Fung at the bottom too which usually lives up to the hype for tourists.

Check out the Chiang Kai Shek Memorial Hall or Sun Yat Sen Memorial Hall. If you've got a bunch of history buffs in your group you could do both and even the Martyrs' Shrine, but one of those is enough for most people.

Be sure to check out at least one night market. Shilin is the biggest one for tourists but Raohe and Huaxi are popular too.

Maybe pop into a temple. Mind you they're pretty much all in active use, but Longshan is close to Huaxi night market while Xingtian is fairly downtown.

You can do some light walking/hiking near the Four Beasts Mountains. There are tons of different routes, they range from easy paved roads to fairly strenuous routes where you basically have to use a rope.

If you want to get out of Taipei, check out Keelung and its night market, or maybe Yeliu Geology Park or Jiufen. Jiufen was Miyazaki's inspiration for the setting of Spirited Away.

Of all those, Jiufen is the most likely to be mobbed by tourists, especially on weekends. The Taipei 101 will certainly involve lines, the length of it depends on day and time though and there might be some disabled shortcut or special waiting area if memory serves correctly. None of them though should really feature people aggressively hawking stuff at you.

If you're willing to get farther afield, take the high speed rail to Kaohsiung and maybe someone can offer some advice on what to hit up there. If you're not willing to spring for the HSR tickets then don't bother as the regular train or intracity bus is probably not the best use of your limited time or the most comfortable way for the elderly to travel.

Thanks for the very full reply!

The plan has developed somewhat - they now want to rent a flat for the week since there are six of us. Problem is, nobody knows anything about the different districts.

Would I be correct in thinking that as long as we're near a subway/MTR that, like here in Hong Kong, you can get to anywhere reasonable in Taipei in 30-60 minutes? For example, if we stayed in Da'an, we wouldn't be penning ourselves in, right?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
I too am in Taipei next weekend for a bit~. Also likely to be popping by semi-regularly from now on, we'll see.

Is there someone that I can add who can put me on the LINE group?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

LimburgLimbo posted:

I too am in Taipei next weekend for a bit~. Also likely to be popping by semi-regularly from now on, we'll see.

Is there someone that I can add who can put me on the LINE group?

PM me or post your line ID.