Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Reviewers reporting Mirror's Edge stuttering like hell issues with Pascal cards, whereas Maxwell are fine. Further details to come.

Oh no what am I going to do!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Bleh Maestro posted:

Oh no what am I going to do!?

Continue not preordering video games as per usual?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Also 1080s aren't real yet

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
bfone is guarenteed to be good so you should preorder it

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007

NoDamage posted:

If I have a SFF case that would be better off with a blower instead of an open air cooler should I just get the 1080 Founders Edition instead of waiting for an aftermarket version? It looks like most of the aftermarket cards come with open air coolers.

I'm in a similar situation, the consensus is the founders edition aint the best when it comes to power/cooling/overclocking, but if you need the card right now it'll do the job.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Continue not preordering video games as per usual?

preordering games is dumb and bad but i did it anyway this time bc the last time i bought a game from origin it took literally a week for them to decide my payment had fully, 1000% cleared, and i have been impatiently waiting for more mirror's edge for years. and i have an R9 380 anyway.

pctD
Aug 25, 2009

Pillbug
My Amazon EVGA FTW 1080 should ship to me on June 13th, according to their CS. :pray:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

pctD posted:

My Amazon EVGA FTW 1080 should ship to me on June 13th, according to their CS. :pray:

I'm hoping that they closed preorders when they filled their initial allotment.

I cancelled my Fry's preorder and got in on the Amazon pre-order while it was still listed. So, crossing my fingers that this means me as well.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I guess the gigabyte g1 card that they've been tweeting would be on sale at newegg on 6/7 for the last week just went on sale early and sold out instantly, :laffo:

e: I guess it went on sale at 8:00AM 6/7 in Taiwan. 🤔

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jun 7, 2016

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

Rookoo posted:

I'm in a similar situation, the consensus is the founders edition aint the best when it comes to power/cooling/overclocking, but if you need the card right now it'll do the job.

I did a bit more research and it looks like at least EVGA and MSI are making non-Founders Edition blowers, so I'll probably wait until those come out and pick one of them up. Those are the only two models I've found so far though.

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Probably a dumb question but, if I'm outputting to 2560x1600 with DVI currently is there any benefit to swapping to display port or hdmi?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Any canadians want to buy a gigabyte g1 http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...ID=6202798&SID=

tgijsola
Apr 27, 2008

orange
Pillbug

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I guess the gigabyte g1 card that they've been tweeting would be on sale at newegg on 6/7 for the last week just went on sale early and sold out instantly, :laffo:

I randomly refreshed the page saw it was on sale and got one. I am the luckiest man alive AMA.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

tgijsola posted:

I randomly refreshed the page saw it was on sale and got one. I am the luckiest man alive AMA.

Time to re-sell that on ebay for extra money.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Meanwhile that canadian g1 is just sitting there, unable to be shipped from the U.S. to the U.S., waiting for some lucky mountie to stumble upon it. I've tried putting it in my cart and checking out like 3 times, lol

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Generous of you - those go for ~$30 on their own.

I figured the market was narrow enough that it wasn't worth the hassle of trying to sell, I just want it off my desk :)

Looks like I can't even give it away! Anybody want this EVGA SLI bridge?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/dankbaker/status/739880981612625920

368.19 was the press driver for 1070 reviews, how did AMD end up benchmarking their 1080 with that rather than the public one :confused:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

fletcher posted:

I figured the market was narrow enough that it wasn't worth the hassle of trying to sell, I just want it off my desk :)

Looks like I can't even give it away! Anybody want this EVGA SLI bridge?

If it's for narrow spacing (cards right next to each other) sure, I'll take it. PM me what you need for shipping to 44256 and how you'd like me to send it.

Turns out I'm an idiot who can't remember how his own PC is built, I have a one-slot gap between my cards.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jun 7, 2016

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
So do we have any idea when the non-FE 1080/1070 cards will be widely available?

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
oh hey a non-videocardz 1080 STRIX review

Kitguru posted:

The Asus Republic Of Gamers Strix GTX 1080 sets a new high performance benchmark. It takes the superb Nvidia GTX 1080 Founders Edition and pushes it forward in all areas. It runs 14c cooler and not only outperforms all other video cards we have tested to date but it has a built in, highly customisable RGB lighting system. Asus even allow the connection of two extra 4 pin fans if you want to get creative.

Bardeh posted:

So do we have any idea when the non-FE 1080/1070 cards will be widely available?

Widely as in, "load up a webstore and see a variety of 1080s/70s available to ship right away" widely? I'd say late July/early August. Right now it's a mess of delays, shortages and pre-order queues.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Am I reading that right? 3 fps over reference board?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

quote:

We increased the GPU temp target to the maximum 92c and power target to 120 (+20). We got the memory running with a +522 offset (10532) and the core with a +122 offset (2058mhz). I increased voltage to +68. Any higher seemed to have a negative effect on the final overclock.

🤔

DarkEnigma
Mar 31, 2001
Makes me feel better about my 2.1 ghz FE's. I had a feeling these cards probably wouldn't go much further.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Depends on the game, not sure what was going on in GTA for example, but for me it's more about the noise and temps.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

ijyt posted:

Depends on the game, not sure what was going on in GTA for example, but for me it's more about the noise and temps.

Yeah I'm willing to pay for cool and quiet. Also still happy I got my before-they-raised-the-price £40 discount.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Anyone know what time-ish the 1070 is going on sale? I wanna make sure I'm ready for prime F5'ing time.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Guru 3d's total Warhammer DX 12 benches have the 1070 behind the Titan X, while the 390 gains enough to pass the 980. Hopefully that's not a trend that repeats in other games.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Alchenar posted:

Yeah I'm willing to pay for cool and quiet. Also still happy I got my before-they-raised-the-price £40 discount.

This too, if I hadn't gotten it for £619 I'd be looking elsewhere, probably a 980Ti.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

xthetenth posted:

Guru 3d's total Warhammer DX 12 benches have the 1070 behind the Titan X, while the 390 gains enough to pass the 980. Hopefully that's not a trend that repeats in other games.

Here's a graph.

There experiments with cpu thread scaling (and hyperthreading) was pretty interesting:

So this game seems to benefit from going all the way up to 8 real cores and sees benefits from hyperthreading. That's pretty cool.

Also, looking at how the graphics cards mostly plateau at 1080p made me realize something that I guess is kind of obvious in retrospect: if you are a competitive twitch gamer playing at low resolution and image quality settings, you probably should prioritize a fast cpu and memory if your goal is to solidly reach the server tick rate in everything and/or really high fps+hz.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

That also sort of puts a hamper on the possibility of a "Gamer Ultrabook" like the Razer Blade Stealth due to its dual core i7 U series. Even with an external GPU that game will run like crap because its only a dual core with HT.

Nice benchmark to show that with different cores +-HT though.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So is anybody currently living the New American Dream? By that I mean playing Total War: Warhammer on a system with a GTX 1080 on a 30+ inch 4k monitor?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Siets posted:

So is anybody currently living the New American Dream? By that I mean playing Total War: Warhammer on a system with a GTX 1080 on a 30+ inch 4k monitor?

My 34" ultrawide is good enough for me and it's running quite well on a 290, CA almost unsold me on a new graphics card.

Considering I was sucking it up and running Attila at 20 something FPS that's huge.

Also bonus points to CA for the best exclusive windowed implementation I've seen in a while making it no sacrifice to play windowed for freesync. Reflects well on the Gaming Evolved branding, probably better than even Star Wars Battlefront.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I can't believe how far we've come as a species

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

repiv posted:

https://twitter.com/dankbaker/status/739880981612625920

368.19 was the press driver for 1070 reviews, how did AMD end up benchmarking their 1080 with that rather than the public one :confused:

they are the same company and this is all preplanned

rumors of hard limits at 2.1 ghz would be disappointing. Would be the first time ever I would actually want to buy a base model EVGA lol

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jun 7, 2016

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

they are the same company and this is all preplanned

rumors of hard limits at 2.1 ghz would be disappointing. Would be the first time ever I would actually want to buy a base model EVGA lol

The Galak people were able to get a card to 2.2 on air via hacks. I'm not sure what they did though, whether they were software or physical. How long does it usually take for bios mods to start popping up?

DarkEnigma
Mar 31, 2001

Siets posted:

I'm running two on a 65 inch sony 4k tv :smuggo:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

DarkEnigma posted:

I'm running two on a 65 inch sony 4k tv :smuggo:

:aaaaa:

How close do you sit to that? Also is the latency terrible on a screen that size?

DarkEnigma
Mar 31, 2001
Probably about 7 to 8 feet. I game from the couch with a wired controller or wireless keyboard/mouse. No input lag noticeable, and I believe the latency is aroun 30ms?

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

@dankbaker is an awesome twitter handle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/TEAMEVGA/status/740228112563068929